• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNaranja

Both outfits look awesome. I am just happy he is coming out in any capacity. I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriot armor again though. We never did get to see what that canon on his back in action.

Both outfits look awesome. I am just happy he is coming out in any capacity. I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriot armor again though. We never did get to see what that canon on his back in action.
As far as I remember from the comic prequels it's a miniaturized version of the Sonic Stark tech that the US Gov' used against Hulk.

How do we know this scene is from after?

That could be the Ultron-bot before it gets up and messes up the party. I mean, nobody in this scene looks like they've just been through a tough fight with robots.

I'm thinking this would be before the party scene when everyone's still somber from the starting fight and Scarlet Witch stuff. Then the party scene itself is more fun because, presumably, there's been a lot of alcohol involved.

I dunno, that Ultron bot also only looks about as destroyed as it does when it crashes the party.

I think it's after. Specifically, it looks as if this picture takes place around the same time/before/after the point that Tony gets choked by Thor (vest opened, shirt untucked and kind of shabby looking).

It wouldn't make sense for them to decide to have the party and still be that upset right *before* the party. Or why even bother having it - unless they got incredibly wasted when we saw them in the trailer (I doubt Tony would be in a mood to party if he just had
visions of the entire team dying, or Thor maybe getting visions of Ragnarok
).

dankir

10968536_786316848119219_709825313981747699_n.jpg

:)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, and why arent the Avengers teaming up 24/7 in every solomovie? It would be more effective when everyone whould show up all the time!

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, and why arent the Avengers teaming up 24/7 in every solomovie? It would be more effective when everyone whould show up all the time!

In terms of in-universe logic, it makes no sense for Stark/Cap to have their lives ruined and nobody gives a shit. Or for terrorists to kidnap The President, and Shield to provide no aid. Or for the Vice President to be part of a terrorist group WHILE fucking Hydra has infiltrated nearly every aspect of American society.

The same shit is true of comics of course, but the films had a chance to have continuity that made sense. And instead just shrug off Cap/Widow not attempting to ask any other Avengers for help.

J10

Banned
In terms of in-universe logic, it makes no sense for Stark/Cap to have their lives ruined and nobody gives a shit. Or for terrorists to kidnap The President, and Shield to provide no aid. Or for the Vice President to be part of a terrorist group WHILE fucking Hydra has infiltrated nearly every aspect of American society.

The same shit is true of comics of course, but the films had a chance to have continuity that made sense. And instead just shrug off Cap/Widow not attempting to ask any other Avengers for help.
lol

J10

Banned
I hope you don't get pissy when Superman doesn't spend his lunch break on a random Tuesday at The Daily Planet cleaning up Gotham City.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I hope you don't get pissy when Superman doesn't spend his lunch break on a random Tuesday at The Daily Planet cleaning up Gotham City.

The whole point of a 'shared universe' is repercussions that resonate worldwide. For example:

Captain America sees Red Skull steal the Tesseract from where Asgardians hid it. It lands in Shield's hands. They build super weapons using it. Howard Stark uses it to theorise a new element which, when actualised, saves his sons life. In turn Tony is still alive in The Avengers and befriends The Hulk, which turns the tide against an invading Alien menace.

THAT is excellent continuity. It builds and builds and has pay-off.

Well done to Marvel Studios there. Everything in Phase One builds to The Avengers and has decent pay-off. Even if I dislike The Avengers as a film, I admire what it does. The problem is Phase Two seems unconnected, and save for Captain America: TWS there's no sense of universe wide forward momentum or characters interacting. People could skip the next batch of films, watch AOU, and miss nothing except Shield being dismantled (or not as Agents of Shield posits.)

It's telling that the best MCU film from Phase 2 is the one that has two Avengers in it and drives the MCU forward in terms of world building.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Phase 2 introduces a couple of Infinity Gems and the big payout it when Thanos comes around and assembles the Infinity Gauntlet in Infinity War...

scabro

The whole point of a 'shared universe' is repercussions that resonate worldwide. For example:

Captain America sees Red Skull steal the Tesseract from where Asgardians hid it. It lands in Shield's hands. They build super weapons using it. Howard Stark uses it to theorise a new element which, when actualised, saves his sons life. In turn Tony is still alive in The Avengers and befriends The Hulk, which turns the tide against an invading Alien menace.

THAT is excellent continuity. It builds and builds and has pay-off.

Well done to Marvel Studios there. Everything in Phase One builds to The Avengers and has decent pay-off. Even if I dislike The Avengers as a film, I admire what it does. The problem is Phase Two seems unconnected, and save for Captain America: TWS there's no sense of universe wide forward momentum or characters interacting. People could skip the next batch of films, watch AOU, and miss nothing except Shield being dismantled (or not as Agents of Shield posits.)

It's telling that the best MCU film from Phase 2 is the one that has two Avengers in it and drives the MCU forward in terms of world building.
to be fair, thor 2 set up something at the end that might have big implications in the future, although it probably wont play a big factor until phase 3.

and ironman 3 is a bit of a lead in to Tony's use of iron man drones and maybe ultron in avengers 2.

Oh Look Deathy Boy in for his regular Drive-by.

I think the movies work so well when viewed as a whole. I have typically loved all the movies individually, but even the weaker movies like Iron Man 2 are better in retrospect after watching the other movies that followed.

LosDaddie

Banned

I'm also looking forward to the "no sense of danger" posts in the upcoming DoJ thread. Because, ya know, Batman/ Supes/WW might not survive!

Real life logic dictates that they aren't able to do this. However, I have a problem with it in the sense that the stakes were raised in all of the solo movies post-Avengers. It doesn't make sense for the Avengers to have not intervened in things like Malekith trying to destroy the entire universe or Hydra trying to take over the entire world and kill them all.

It's the old movie sequel paradox for big budget blockbusters. They keep having to up the stakes and pack more and more shit in and they inevitably reach the point where logic breaks down entirely.

Blader

Real life logic dictates that they aren't able to do this. However, I have a problem with it in the sense that the stakes were raised in all of the solo movies post-Avengers. It doesn't make sense for the Avengers to have not intervened in things like Malekith trying to destroy the entire universe or Hydra trying to take over the entire world and kill them all.

Malekith's invasion into Earth lasted literally minutes, and no one would have even heard of Hydra doing something bad until well after the fact. We know that those three Helicarriers going into the sky means bad shit's about to happen, but it wouldn't look out of the ordinary to anyone else (right up until they start firing at least, shortly after which they go do anyway).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Malekith's invasion into Earth lasted literally minutes, and no one would have even heard of Hydra doing something bad until well after the fact. We know that those three Helicarriers going into the sky means bad shit's about to happen, but it wouldn't look out of the ordinary to anyone else (right up until they start firing at least, shortly after which they go do anyway).

Wasn't TDW also situated in London? As in, the place where the Avengers are not? Even if Thor's superhero friends decided to drop their business and head out to help, by the time Tony had reached his armory, Cap got on a plane with Hawkeye and BW and Bruce Banner had hulked out to jump acorss the ocean, Malekith was defeated, and they all would look stupid, and Thor would be all like 'yeah, I don't need you bitches for this minor inconvience.' and Jane would look up and down that fine toned hard body with the blonde hairs and be all 'hmmmhmmm, you tell em God-man you.'

Well, yeah, we know that, and a random civilian would have probably thought that too, but the plot of TWS takes place over several days: once captain america became aware that hydra was still alive and kicking, they could have at least dropped stark and banner an email, or something. Once it got to the point where they apparently had met Fury again underground, there really is no in universe excuse. Lord knows they have to be at least as trustworthy as Black Widow or a random guy Steve met while out running.

The real reasons they aren't involved are a) money/real life and b) to keep the plots interesting. Banner could easily have torn the three helicarriers to shreds, or Iron man could have flown/shot straight through the glass barriers and had them offline in a fraction of the time, but that wouldn't have been nearly as fun to watch.

Loke13

Well, yeah, we know that, and a random civilian would have probably thought that too, but the plot of TWS takes place over several days: once captain america became aware that hydra was still alive and kicking, they could have at least dropped stark and banner an email, or something. Once it got to the point where they apparently had met Fury again underground, there really is no in universe excuse. Lord knows they have to be at least as trustworthy as Black Widow or a random guy Steve met while out running.

The real reasons they aren't involved are a) money/real life and b) to keep the plots interesting. Banner could easily have torn the three helicarriers to shreds, or Iron man could have flown/shot straight through the glass barriers and had them offline in a fraction of the time, but that wouldn't have been nearly as fun to watch.
I could of sworn the reason they gave in movie was because all their old friends were being watched by Hydra in case Steve/Nat contacted them the only reason they manage to contact Falcon was because he wasn't on Hydra's hit list at the time,

J10

Banned
I could of sworn the reason they gave in movie was because all their old friends were being watched by Hydra in case Steve/Nat contacted them the only reason they manage to contact Falcon was because he wasn't on Hydra's hit list at the time,

So you saw the movie.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Oh that was said, but still doesn't totally fly with me.

That was the official movie out though.

why is it in the comics when galactus wants to destroy the planet only the F4 give a shit? its called Captain america not Avengers: winter soldier, just go with it.

Even if they said this, it's completely handwavey anyway. They couldn't keep tabs on Steve except when he plugged the thing in that lead them right to him. They could easily have dropped them an email while they were completely unwatched around at the computer store, Tony would have instantly read it (A man like him would always have a mobile device of some kind to inform him of incoming emails), and he would have been able to get into action in minutes. Given this is supposed to be a rather significant amount of time after iron man 3, he has to have at least one new suit up and running by this point.

And of course, there's nothing they could do to stop banner under any circumstance anyway.

Loke13

Even if they said this, it's completely handwavey anyway. They couldn't keep tabs on Steve except when he plugged the thing in that lead them right to him. They could easily have dropped them an email while they were completely unwatched around at the computer store, Tony would have instantly read it (A man like him would always have a mobile device of some kind to inform him of incoming emails), and he would have been able to get into action in minutes. Given this is supposed to be a rather significant amount of time after iron man 3, he has to have at least one new suit up and running by this point.

And of course, there's nothing they could do to stop banner under any circumstance anyway.
But it is the reason why they didn't contact them. May not be good enough for you but it is the reason. So what exactly are you arguing about? That they didn't try hard enough?

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
you think we get a new trailer with the new superbowl? whether it be for ultron or antman

Prototype

Don't the phase 2 movies happen over a single week, called Fury's Long Week or something like that?

So everyone was just busy and embroiled in their own things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom