• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The comics either don't make sense or contain a further spoiler.

Why were they being attacked by alien soldiers rather than ultron robots? Either the artist fucked up or there will be another enemy faction involved in the film....Thanos' army again?

It's a scenario that can be worked into the film...not a direct take.

dabig2

The comics either don't make sense or contain a further spoiler.

Why were they being attacked by alien soldiers rather than ultron robots? Either the artist fucked up or there will be another enemy faction involved in the film....Thanos' army again?

The movie is just "borrowing" the concept.
The comic pages shown were made a couple years ago and the movie is using them as inspiration. See also: Edward Norton's Banner being thrown out of a helicopter in TIH's climax, which was based off of something equally awesome that happened in the first Ultimates comic series a decade ago.

JohnCYQ

well it was never said that i was a direct comparison, just a similar concept

It's a scenario that can be worked into the film...not a direct take.

The movie is just "borrowing" the concept.
The comic pages shown were made a couple years ago and the movie is using them as inspiration. See also: Edward Norton's Banner being thrown out of a helicopter in TIH's climax, which was based off of something equally awesome that happened in the first Ultimates comic series a decade ago.
So...

Are these comic pages from existing printed comics or are they concepts made purely for MCU?

dabig2

So...

Are these comic pages from existing printed comics or are they concepts made purely for MCU?

Existing printed (comic came out in 2012) that has nothing to do with the MCU outside of using the same characters. I believe the writer, Bendis, wanted to use the same roster of Avengers as the MCU to bank on the hype.

Just saw this in another thread and thought it was good.

tzu79Gr.jpg

I just rewatched Winter Soldier for the first time since it came out, although I saw it in theatres 3 times.

Any ways, even though I'd rank it as tied for Marvel's best, I thought the movie was even better this time around.

If marvel can maintain this level of quality moving forward, we're basically blessed. Russos doing Infinity Wars and Civil War is gonna be soooooo godly.

Dalek

Joss Whedon Explains Why Hank Pym Isn’t in ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’

Ant-Man is coming to the MCU this summer. So is Ultron. But unlike in the comics, where Ant-Man (specifically Hank Pym) created Ultron, the two don’t seem to have much to do with other in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Instead, Tony Stark will be the one responsible for bringing the killer robot to life.

Naturally, fans have been complaining to Joss Whedon about the major change in Ultron’s origin story, and now the Avengers: Age of Ultron director has a response for them: Blame Edgar Wright. Well, Wright and the fact that Whedon just couldn’t find a good way to fit in Hank Pym. Find out why there’s no Hank Pym in Avengers after the jump.

Whedon explains Hank Pym’s absence in a chat with Empire:

Of all the heat I’ve ever taken, not having Hank Pym was one of the bigger things. But the fact of the matter was, Edgar had him first and by virtue of what Edgar was doing, there was no way for me to use him in this.

To be fair, it’s not like Wright was spitefully keeping Hank Pym away from Whedon. Wright had been developing Ant-Man for years before Whedon came along. Furthermore, Whedon acknowledges Wright isn’t the only reason Hank Pym was left out of Avengers: Age of Ultron. He continues:

I also thought it was a bridge too far. Ultron needs to be the brainchild of the Avengers, and in the world of the Avengers and the MCU, Tony Stark is that guy. Banner has elements of that guy – we don’t really think of him as being as irresponsible as Tony Stark, but the motherfucker tested gamma radiation on himself, with really terrible, way-worse-than-Tony-Stark results.

It didn’t make sense to introduce a third scientist, a third sciencetician, to do that. It was hard for me, because I grew up on the comics, to dump that, but at the end of the day, it’s a more interesting relationship between Tony and Ultron if Tony was once like, ‘You know what would be a really great idea?’ They’re doing what they always do – which is jump in headfirst, and then go, ‘Sorry, world!’ But you have to make it their responsibility without just making it their fault.

If you’re already annoyed that the MCU is rewriting Ultron’s comic book backstory, this might not be a very satisfying explanation. But it seems to make sense for the movie.

Avengers: Age of Ultron has enough characters as it is without bringing in Hank Pym. Plus, tying Ultron to characters we already know and love (as opposed to Pym, whom we’d just be meeting for the first time) should make the threat feel more personal.

mjc

I blame Wright for sitting on his hands too long with Ant Man. I bet Joss would have used the original origin if he had the established character to work with.

Wright's plans for Pym are definitely to blame for his absence in Ultron's origin, but Whedon's explanation for why it ended up being Tony and Bruce makes perfect sense and I think most people should be satisfied with that.

Yeah it's a big aspect to both characters that we lose out on, but I never would have wanted Whedon to find a way to shoehorn Pym into the origin if he wasn't going to be in the movie. It is in fact much better to have the threat of Ultron still come from within the Avengers.

Blader

The decision makes total sense to me regardless of Wright's movie. Introducing another guy on par with Stark and Banner, and also making him the source of the movie's conflict, would have felt too contrived. And effectively takes the tension out of the team's dynamic, because instead of Tony and Banner and Steve butting heads with each other, it would've been all six of them ganging up on Pym.

I blame Wright for sitting on his hands too long with Ant Man. I bet Joss would have used the original origin if he had the established character to work with.

For the nth time, if Marvel wanted to do Ant-Man before this movie, they would've done so. They were under no obligation to wait around for Wright, especially since, you know, they dropped him anyway.

Wright wasn't sitting on his hands, he was making other movies, which Marvel said they were cool with.

The decision makes total sense to me regardless of Wright's movie. Introducing another guy on par with Stark and Banner, and also making him the source of the movie's conflict, would have felt too contrived. And effectively takes the tension out of the team's dynamic, because instead of Tony and Banner and Steve butting heads with each other, it would've been all six of them ganging up on Pym.

For the nth time, if Marvel wanted to do Ant-Man before this movie, they would've done so. They were under no obligation to wait around for Wright, especially since, you know, they dropped him anyway.

Wright wasn't sitting on his hands, he was making other movies, which Marvel said they were cool with.

Exactly. The logical contortions some people go through to paint Wright as the bad guy in all this are just silly.

Maybe, just maybe, he was attached to the project for eight years because that's the film Marvel actually wanted to make at the time?

sol_bad

They didn't drop him, he walked away from production because he wasn't willing to work with some of the changes to the script.

They didn't drop him, he walked away from production because he wasn't willing to work with some of the changes to the script.

...so anyone who takes a directing gig for Marvel, even when they get hired to execute their own specific creative vision for a film and work with Marvel on that vision for years, is obligated to choke down whatever script changes Marvel demands, and if they don't they're just being selfish? Okay.

Is it really that implausible that there were no particular continuity issues with Wright's script, that it wasn't a matter of Wright obstinately refusing to play ball with the rest of the MCU or whatnot, and that Marvel's concerns were primarily or solely about its perceived marketability?

Pachimari

If people want, I can try and read through the Empire article for any tidbits?

I guess I got a little one already, regarding how it'll start out:

"Age of Ultron begins with the Avengers already together for what Whedon calls a pre-credits Bondian blow-out that will involve the team paying a surprise visit to
the East European castle hideout of evil Hydra operative Baron von Strucker in order to retrieve an item of great value: Loki's sceptre from the first movie.
"

I'm thinking the scene in the trailer were everyone are aboard the new Quinjet build by Stark is in the beginning of the movie where they have retrieved the item. And I wonder if their retrieval of
the sceptre will involve a fight with Loki
and that's were the rumors are coming from of him appearing?

PS: I really don't know what to spoiler, and what not to spoiler. So I'm doing it just to be sure.

Dilly

Banned
Honestly, at this point I have no idea how they're going to cram so much content in this movie.

I will be very impressed if it's done right.

anaron

Additional music by Danny Elfman muthafuckas.
oh wow :eek:

(not that Elfman is amazing anymore but it's still pretty shocked to see this out of nowhere "additional music" by one of the most esteemed composers ever, especially next to the especially bland Brian Tyler)

Mariolee

Guess official poster for the film

B-n_VvxUYAA2qah.jpg

I don't like how it's overtly obvious that they didn't take this picture together. I mean, obviously posters almost never do have their main cast together for the group poster, but when considering the lighting and the resizing of the characters, it just seems very pedestrian designwise. Basically just photoshopping everyone together akin to the quality of a fan poster.

Still hyped, but I don't like the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom