• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that Marvel has the reputation of being control freaks with their movies, I think what is more likely to happen would be them waiting a phase or two, and then rebooting Spider-Man for their universe.

Yeah, the themes and tone of ASM simply don't jive with the MCU.

The best course of action would be to let Spidey simmer for a while and bring him into the MCU for a later phase.

It'll probably be called something else, but the function would be the same is what I'm getting at. Secret infinity stone.

Though really, if they're going to make the staff a secret stone, I'd prefer them to reveal it right before Thanos nabs it and adds it to his collection of all the others. Turn it into a big old "ho shit" moment.

I dunno how that would work though, Thanos gave the Sceptre to Loki. Surely he would know that it's an Infinity Stone.

Guess we aren't seeing him until possibly GotG 2 then.

Yeah I think, since his first meaningful appearance is in GOTG, he'll start moving towards his ultimate goal in that sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if GOTG2 features the team getting crushed by Thanos when they try to stop him from heading towards Earth.

I read further and he said this:
Does that mean he could still be in it or is he talking about something else?

It's pretty much impossible for them to incorporate him into the movie in a big way at this point, but he could just be saying don't rule out the possibility of a tease of some form.

Dug

Banned
It's pretty much impossible for them to incorporate him into the movie in a big way at this point, but he could just be saying don't rule out the possibility of a tease of some form.
Yeah, I imagine he could be teased in it but he wouldn't be in it in a big way. That's for Avengers 3. :p

georly

I like the chiasmus created by leaving extraterrestrial entities out of age of ultron only to have them come back for A3. External conflict (loki/chitauri) > Internal conflict (stark makes ultron) > External (Thanos)

I dunno how that would work though, Thanos gave the Sceptre to Loki. Surely he would know that it's an Infinity Stone.

The original way Thanos collected the infinity gems was that after he got the first one, he used it to get the next one and so on and so forth. It's not completely insane to think he would take a risk, especially when the "hard way" of getting back both stones should things go all pear shaped wouldn't be all that hard at all.

It would also explain why the Chitauri were so uptight and breathing down Loki's neck the whole time. Thanos might not have been concerned, but they certainly were.

number11

It seems like Thanos is the main villain of the entire Marvel universe. For those that read the comics, assuming Thanos is defeated in Avengers 3, how many other bigger/better stories are out there that can be used for phase 4 (for the current crop of charachters we've already seen)

It seems like Thanos is the main villain of the entire Marvel universe. For those that read the comics, assuming Thanos is defeated in Avengers 3, how many other bigger/better stories are out there that can be used for phase 4 (for the current crop of charachters we've already seen)

I'm not as informed as other Marvel fans but I think Galactus would be on a similar level as Thanos. Pretty sure they don't have his rights, though.

G-Fex

Red leather ? Meh.

Ms._Marvel_Portrait_Art.png

my favorite ms marvel costume

The big ones I can think of are The Masters of Evil, who are basically the anti-Avengers. The roster has changed over the years but they could easily use some of the villains from previous movies that aren't dead. Red Skull would be a perfect leader for that if (when) he returns, and they can use Abomination as well. They can use Phase 4 to introduce villains that would form that team too, like Amorah the Enchantress.

The main one that I want as a follow-up to Thanos would be Kang the Conqueror. He'd make a great grey-area villain compared to Thanos' ultimate evil and Ultron's unwavering goal of extinction. He's trying to save the future from the actions of The Avengers which sets off a chain of events that destroys the world in his timeline, but does so by conquering Earth in the past.

A Kree-Skrull War storyline would be good too, which could be followed up by Secret Invasion.

Or Dormammu, Doctor Strange's nemesis, who would bring a pretty unique angle to things compared to the sci-fi-ish flavor of the Avengers movies.

The sky is the limit; not every villain needs to be as threatening as Thanos in order to make a compelling story. And they have decades of stories to pull from.

Unfortunately three of the most threatening villains in the Marvel Universe, Galactus, Annihilus and Doctor Doom, are tied up in the Fantastic Four rights.

GreekWolf

Wouldn't the Phoenix Force be almost as deadly an adversary as Thanos for the Avengers?

It's been awhile since I've read that storyline, but I remember they broke every bone in Spider-Man's body and pretty much beat everyone to a bloody pulp.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wouldn't the Phoenix Force be almost as deadly an adversary as Thanos for the Avengers?

It's been awhile since I've read that storyline, but I remember they broke every bone in Spider-Man's body and pretty much beat everyone to a bloody pulp.

wouldn't phoenix force be tied up with XMen?

ryan299

Avengers three is going to have too many characters if they add the Guardians. Can't wait to see how they balance that.

S1kkZ

Avengers three is going to have too many characters if they add the Guardians. Can't wait to see how they balance that.

i could see av3 going full on crazy with the characters: all avengers, guardians, agents of shield, all the netflix guys vs. thanos.

maybe they split the film into 2 parts...

J10

Banned

People are sitting through 3 hour Michael Bay Transformer movies.

I'M SURE MARVEL CAN FIGURE SOMETHING OUT.

jph139

A two part Avengers 3, one piece in November 2018 and another in May 2019, would be awesome. You could really mimic the "comic event" style of content with that, too. Have Part 1 end with Thanos and his armies invading Earth. Then you can have most of that season of Agents of SHIELD be them fighting off aliens, a Netflix tie-in series or two that covers what the Defenders are doing during the invasion, then wrap it all up with Part 2 in May. Release some tie-in comics, tons of merchandising, make it a full-on six-month multimedia blitz.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A two part Avengers 3, one piece in November 2018 and another in May 2019, would be awesome. You could really mimic the "comic event" style of content with that, too. Have Part 1 end with Thanos and his armies invading Earth. Then you can have most of that season of Agents of SHIELD be them fighting off aliens, a Netflix tie-in series or two that covers what the Defenders are doing during the invasion, then wrap it all up with Part 2 in May. Release some tie-in comics, tons of merchandising, make it a full-on six-month multimedia blitz.

To be honest, this would be far to ambigious. Wouldnt end good. And you cant forget, that only america would get everything in the right time. I am still waiting to see the first season of Agents of Shield here in Germany in free-tv, not even to think about a Blu-Ray Release.

It would be a disaster.

The problem with these massive team-ups (GOTG + Avengers) wouldn't even be finding screen time for everyone - but mostly a budget issue. If RDJ commanded $50 million alone in Avengers - how much do you think an Avengers 3 with that entire Avengers 2 cast + GOTG + whoever plays the bad guys etc would cost. That cast price alone would be unsustainable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The problem with these massive team-ups (GOTG + Avengers) wouldn't even be finding screen time for everyone - but mostly a budget issue. If RDJ commanded $50 million alone in Avengers - how much do you think an Avengers 3 with that entire Avengers 2 cast + GOTG + whoever plays the bad guys etc would cost. That cast price alone would be unsustainable.

Good point. I dont even want this. Not everybody needs to team up together. Keep the Guardians seperated from the Avengers. They can be used as an introduction to The Avengers 3, but stay far, far away from earth. Same with the Netflix Heroes. Mention them and make cameos but dont put them in The Avengers only because you can. I really hope that Kevin Feige thinks the same.

Good point. I dont even want this. Not everybody needs to team up together. Keep the Guardians seperated from the Avengers. They can be used as an introduction to The Avengers 3, but stay far, far away from earth. Same with the Netflix Heroes. Mention them and make cameos but dont put them in The Avengers only because you can. I really hope that Kevin Feige thinks the same.

I dunno, I could see them heralding Thanos' introduction with a lone Peter Quill crashing into Tony Stark's porch or something to give them the warning or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dunno, I could see them heralding Thanos' introduction with a lone Peter Quill crashing into Tony Stark's porch or something to give them the warning or something.

This should be the Job of Nova, liked the idea of it how they did this in Avengers Vs. X-Men.
But Peter Quill would be ok, too, of course.

Yeah if Guardians is as successful as it seems like it'll be then I can't see them staying away for long, especially if Thanos is the 'big bad'

Darg

Neo Member
I don't think it would really work in a movie. And he is way to strong. He is stronger than Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet.

As awesome it would be to see beyonder on the big screen i agree that it wouldn't work unless heavily strip him down (giant retcon?), otherwise he will just defeat everybody as fast as you can blink.

He is not just a universe but he is a reality that is so big that makes all of marvel reality seem like a drop of water compared to an ocean (beyonder is the ocean).

Im not sure even a heavily retconned version would work. It's probably better if he just get's a cameo at best or something like that because there is no way they are going to be able to fight the beyonder without loosing instantly.

nomis

Guardians/Avengers is happening. Likely Avengers 3. When it comes to expense... you think they can't afford it? You think it's not going to recoup four times over? Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom