• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Whedon said he was having fun writing Hawkeye, so that means that either he has lots of funny things to say or is going to have everything suck for him in AoU.

Mariolee

Well, Whedon said he was having fun writing Hawkeye, so that means that either he has lots of funny things to say or is going to have everything suck for him in AoU.

tumblr_mjlvm3APzZ1qgijf3o1_1280.png

hawkeyethislooksbad.jpg

I want these in the film.

eastx

Damn, I'm trying to think of a counter response here. I can't disagree because it's true.

I like Alien Resurrection a hell of a lot more than Alien 3, which is overly bleak and nihilistic. Alien 3's specific crime as far as killing off Newt and Hicks is that it undoes Aliens' ending and creates bad-will with fans of the previous movie. Killing a character during the movie (not off-screen between films) can work without alienating viewers, as long as it's handled well.

Resurrection is an unmitigated clusterfuck, but is at least a somewhat interesting clusterfuck in terms of its visual flair. Alien 3 is just drab and boring to the core.

anaron

the Renner hate is so over the top.

let's wait til we actually get him as his proper self for a full movie before deciding "HE SUCKS RECAST"

Whedon never has funny things to say (unless you like that toad line in xmen)

To give us the true potential of hawkguy they need to bring back the gawd Shane Black as a consulting writer

To give us the true potential of hawkguy they need to bring back the gawd Shane Black as a consulting writer

Is that really a just a Whedon problem, though? One thing I hate about the Spider-man movies is the lack of wit from parker. And heaven forbid Fox actually make the Deadpool movie. *cringe*

What. There's a ton of funny lines in Avengers. A few duds, sure, but plenty of entertaining little jokes.

Ehhh not a fan of whedon's wit, or his movies in general to be honest

It's a hard movie to sit through attentively for me until the final battle

I found iron man 3 to be funnier in general not to mention the better movie

Tho 2014's marvel movies just blew everything else away from the studio

Edit: the archer writers could totally give us a god level hawkeye script

Edit: the archer writers could totally give us a god level hawkeye script

God yes. I would love to see what they could do with Deadpool as well.

Dalek

Alien 3 had more problems than that. Besides, Alien Resurrection was the real turd of the series.

If you haven't yet, watch the documentary about the making of Alien 3 on the Alien Anthology set, then watch the Alien 3 Assembly cut. It doesn't fix all the numerous problems with the film, but it gives you a greater appreciation of it.

This is very true!! That documentary changed my entire outlook on the movie.

guek

Banned

Hey, everyone's entitled to their own tastes. Maybe it's just me but it seems like there's a lot of distaste for Whedon on this board, which is odd since he's like...king nerd. I think he overdoes it occasionally but most of it's pretty fun imo.

"He's adopted"
"It seems to be powered by some sort of electricity!"
"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"
"Well then son, you've got a condition."

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hey, everyone's entitled to their own tastes. Maybe it's just me but it seems like there's a lot of distaste for Whedon on this board, which is odd since he's like...king nerd. I think he overdoes it occasionally but most of it's pretty fun imo.

"He's adopted"
"It seems to be powered by some sort of electricity!"
"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"
"Well then son, you've got a condition."

That, and this bit had everyone in my theatre laughing out loud:

pD27sjU.gif

God yes. I would love to see what they could do with Deadpool as well.

Based on the leaked script from a good while back, they nailed it. The test-footage that got leaked recently affirmed that Reynolds has the comedic timing nailed down to perfection for Deadpool's witty jokes. All we need now is a producer with cohones the size of the planet Mars.

dosh

Not gonna happen as long as Renner in the film. He's not that cool.
To be fair, no MCU movie gave him the opportunity to act cool yet. It only took a few banter scenes in Avengers to give Ruffalo's Banner a personality and relationships with the others. Renner never got that kind of material to work with and get past the pink-eyed-archer-dude-who-shoots-usb-arrows issue.

Wazzy

Banned
To be fair, no MCU movie gave him the opportunity to act cool yet. It only took a few banter scenes in Avengers to give Ruffalo's Banner a personality and relationships with the others. Renner never got that kind of material to work with and get past the pink-eyed-archer-dude-who-shoots-usb-arrows issue.

Ever since Renner said he would never wear Hawkeyes costume he's bothered me. It just seems he takes the role way too seriously and not as fun as the character.

But we'll see how he is in this movie.

I actually can't remember whatever line you're referencing. Apparently it didn't make much of an impression. Then again, I can't remember much about the X-Men movies prior to First Class.

eastx

I actually can't remember whatever line you're referencing. Apparently it didn't make much of an impression. Then again, I can't remember much about the X-Men movies prior to First Class.

I don't think most viewers agree with Discotheque's opinion - plenty of lines in Avengers got lots of laughs from audiences. The only widespread criticisms about the film are the slow first act and the often uninspired photography.

Amyway, he's talking about Storm's line in the first X-Men. "You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

Whedon polished the dialogue in that script. He says they undid a lot of his polishing, but that's one of the lines that stayed. I forget, but he might have criticized Halle Berry's delivery of the line (she is terrible as Storm).

BLACKLAC

I don't think most viewers agree with Discotheque's opinion - plenty of lines in Avengers got lots of laughs from audiences. The only widespread criticisms about the film are the slow first act and the often uninspired photography.

Amyway, he's talking about Storm's line in the first X-Men. "You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

Whedon polished the dialogue in that script. He says they undid a lot of his polishing, but that's one of the lines that stayed. I forget, but he might have criticized Halle Berry's delivery of the line (she is terrible as Storm).

Halle Berry is terrible but the fault ultimately falls on Singer's direction. He should have known better than to leave that in.

J10

Banned

In the original script Toad would keep rattling off random facts about frogs throughout the movie and Storm's quip at the end was supposed to be in response to that. All of his dialogue was removed, she gave her botched delivery, and we ended up with what we got.

Not Whedon's fault in the slightest.

y'all falling for whedon's excuses? he also washed his hands of responsibility for alien resurrection saying that was on the casting director haha. i definitely fault singer for leaving that crap in for sure tho but daniel day lewis couldn't sell that line.

can't stand the guy's work and i think its a shame an ensemble like avengers is given to him. more power to y'all tho.

I'm pretty sure that any joke that doesn't get the proper set-up and timing will fall flat, regardless of who writes it. That's not on the writer, but on the director. If the director can't figure out how to make it funny, they shouldn't use it.

anaron

y'all falling for whedon's excuses? he also washed his hands of responsibility for alien resurrection saying that was on the casting director haha. i definitely fault singer for leaving that crap in for sure tho but daniel day lewis couldn't sell that line.

can't stand the guy's work and i think its a shame an ensemble like avengers is given to him. more power to y'all tho.

Yeah damn that incredibly well recieved Avengers film written and directed by joss whedon that had everyone cheering its accomplishment!

All the paranoia, detachment and preventative measures Stark's put in place in both IM3 and apparently Age of Ultron, he might as well have a big red target on that suit as far as I'm concerned.

dosh

Ever since Renner said he would never wear Hawkeyes costume he's bothered me. It just seems he takes the role way too seriously and not as fun as the character.

But we'll see how he is in this movie.
I didn't know that. All the other actors in the movies kind of embraced the goofy/funny side of their part, I assumed Renner would have been into that too. He's really missing a big opportunity to become well loved by the fans, Hawkguy is a fantastic character.

I can see Renner doing a pretty good dry humor version of Hawkeye. And I have absolutely no trouble envisioning him saying "Okay... this looks bad." to a fleet of Ultron bots or something.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I haven't read the Hawkguy comics yet so I'm hoping Renner is kickass and funny in this one.

I'm sure others have already told you, but you should really check out Hawkeye right now. The first 15 issues of the current Hawkguy stuff is on Marvel Unlimited. You'll be hooked.

It's tied with Rocket Raccoon as my favorite comic at the moment.

I feel like Avengers was Whedon just throwing out jokey one-liners at every possible point, only about half of which actually worked. I liked "It seems to run on some kind of electricity", but I found ones like Black Widow's "I don't see how that's a party" when Iron Man leads the big space worm at them to be the most unfunny shit imaginable. Same with the bit where Iron Man knocks Thor out of the way just as he's about to tell Loki something, and Loki mugs for the camera and goes, "...I'm listening?" Just godawful, "THIS IS THE JOKE, DID YOU GET IT?" kind of stuff that really felt amateurish compared to the clever back-and-forth stuff in the Iron Man movies. "Hammer needs a slot, Christine"

Tobor

Well, it's a good thing you aren't running Marvel Studios, as you are completely wrong about Whedon.

Blader

I don't see the big deal about Whedon's excuse about that Storm line. Yeah it's an excuse, but...is he wrong?

And I think he threw everyone under the bus, himself included, for Alien Resurrection.

Cynar

Well, it's a good thing you aren't running Marvel Studios, as you are completely wrong about Whedon.
He's dead on in my opinion. Whedon was the worst part of the avengers. Too much campy unfunny bits. Pretty much like everything he does though.

Tobor

I don't see the big deal about Whedon's excuse about that Storm line. Yeah it's an excuse, but...is he wrong?

And I think he threw everyone under the bus, himself included, for Alien Resurrection.

Having read the script for Alien Ressurection, I absolutely think a different director, a director with the sensibilities to make a proper Alien movie, could have turned out a good movie.

It's not a bad script once you divorce the weird acting, miscasting, terrible alien design, and for lack of a better word, "frenchness".

Wazzy

Banned
I didn't know that. All the other actors in the movies kind of embraced the goofy/funny side of their part, I assumed Renner would have been into that too. He's really missing a big opportunity to become well loved by the fans, Hawkguy is a fantastic character.

Yeah it was kind of disappointing to hear. He obviously never was going to wear the full costume since it doesn't translate well on screen but just full on dismissing the idea was lame when everyone else is so much better about it. I really wanted the mask to fit in somehow and see how they make it work on screen.

I do still think they should try and give him something that makes him stand out more. Goggles or glasses, anything really.

kirblar

The line is perfectly fine if delivered correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom