• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

The atmosphere right now reminds me of a funeral. Guess Uyama better bring back the JRPG closer for next year.

The JRPG closer had exactly the same atmosphere. Additionally, you can't see the majority of the audience since they're on the side and watching from a projector. The people in the back are select few.
Furthermore, it's REALLY late there.

Kikujiro

They should end with something like the Souls series, they are fun to watch and full of surprises. OoT is just overplayed, people have seen it many many times and it's not like there's something new.

I think commentary also makes or breaks a run, the best runs always have great commentaries.

Nessus

I shouldn't have waited so long to donate; I can't get through. The servers seem to be overloaded at the moment.

EDIT: Never mind. It's working now.

Weird with how long the run already is and how much they do, that the category only requires the highest equipment, and skips two status screen items. Especially since one is literally on the way.

Edit: Announcer totally going for it.

Weird with how long the run already is and how much they do, that the category only requires the highest equipment, and skips two status screen items. Especially since one is literally on the way.

Edit: Announcer totally going for it.

She really is. She's been one of the better announcers.

Horp

I have to go, if they read any donations from "Horp", it would be just awesome if anyone here wrote something :) I've tried to be unny with the comments and all! :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watching the blind OoT run now. This shit is impressive. How must it feel to have played a game so many times in 18 years that you know every single inch and exactly how everything works and sounds that you don't even have to look at it anymore to play it?

The atmosphere right now reminds me of a funeral. Guess Uyama better bring back the JRPG closer for next year.
It's funny because the majority of the speedrunning community has been itching to have a game other than a JRPG as the closer for years. I think blindfolded child dungeons would have been a great way to close. 100% just drags on even though there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. OoT is really played out.
Should of ended the event with Tetris The grandmaster 3 :) that shit would of been amazing to end on.
The GDQs are definitely at their best when everyone wants to be in the marathon room and gets invested like with last year's Super Metroid race or Tetris and Ninja Gaiden from this year. The issue, I think, with these ideas as closing the marathon out is that they want a long game for one final push for donations, and having something so intense and high energy for 40 minutes to 1.5 hours might detract from the actual goal of donations; where instead a slower-paced game like this or a JRPG can focus on the donation aspect more.

It's kind of odd since the original Classic Games Done Quick was more about some friends hanging out on stream, and they just sort of ended up raising a bit of money for charity. Now Mike is pretty much a contractor for PCF for half of the year since the marathons have become so successful, and he pretty much has to focus on fundraising as much money as possible. The marathons feel a lot less personable in recent years. There's still a lot of good genuine stuff going on, but I feel like it sort of becomes lost when it gets this big.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone there is aware that the total is already above $1M after counting Humble Bundle and the like, so the hype of hitting it just in donations alone really isn't there. I'm sure people were hoping to go higher, but the hype just isn't there both at the marathon and online.

Cyrano

Even the couch is trying to not fall asleep... =/

OoT is really most watchable when it's glitched.

I actually think that's the problem with OoT. It's a fun game to play but watching it just... it's really boring to watch.

I actually think that's the problem with OoT. It's a fun game to play but watching it just... it's really boring to watch.
I love playing the game....but yeah this doesn't look fun at all.

Just woke up after watching the FF7 and poke glitch run.
How was Metroid guys?

It was good for one on the runners but yeah.....

sngagn.jpg

I'm enjoying watching it. Don't really like the fully glitched any% runs though. Don't even get a taste of the game.

Trance

Last year they made just over $1M (wiki says $1,031,159.00). Is that including Humble Bundle or just the stream amount? Or did they not have a HB deal?

Cyrano

I'm enjoying watching it. Don't really like the fully glitched any% runs though. Don't even get a taste of the game.
On the contrary those are what I love about the speedrunning community. There are plenty of Let's Plays (especially of something like OoT). Glitches are what make them unique/fun.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think I typoed my $200 donation.

Five

Banned
My PayPal donation went straight to PCF and I couldn't find it on the tracker. Good to see that's been acknowledged.

Top Bottom