• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

TUSR

Banned
UFpO2hd.png

filth

Xeteh

I'm excited for Within a Deep Forest. Developer commentary, plus Blechy on the couch, sounds awesome!

His commentary is amazing. It seems like he never stops talking but he's actually explaining shit about the run and not just filling dead air. Drives me nuts when commentators for runs barely explain things and just try to make bad jokes the whole time.

If that is "fun" then yes.

The only reason people wore costumes and brought shit into the stream room was to draw attention to themselves. In this case, I'm assuming the runner planned the costumes with them, so even though it was annoying, I think this certain case was okay.

I think the rule is you can bring/wear stuff if you speak with the runner about it, but I could be mistaken.

People having fun at the biggest event their small niche hobby has is annoying? Sure, if it's distracting a runner then there's a problem, but the only person that's ever been an issues with was Withhelde, and Cyghfer shut that shit down immediately.

Nanashrew

Banned
Like I said in chat. They really should have went with MegaMari instead. It looks nicer, it's more polished, and it plays like Mega Man.

dreams

Drawing attention at a charity marathon is a bad thing??

Taking attention away from the people who are streaming is a bad thing, yes. The streamers put a lot of effort into perfecting their runs, and having someone there who is obnoxiously drawing attention to themselves or being distracting is disrespectful.

Haunted

Looking forward to digging into the archives and catching new runs/runs of new games.

I mean, I like Metroid, Mega Man, Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time but even I can only watch the usual suspects on NES/SNES/N64 run so many times before I need something to freshen the experience. :D

dreams

People having fun at the biggest event their small niche hobby has is annoying? Sure, if it's distracting a runner then there's a problem, but the only person that's ever been an issues with was Withhelde, and Cyghfer shut that shit down immediately.

That is literally why it became a rule though. Because in some cases they were distracting runners. Like I said, they are allowed if the runner okays them.

I don't get why people would even feel the need to bring plushies or feel the need to wear costumes, other than to draw attention to themselves and away from the runner/commentators/etc.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
That is literally why it became a rule though. Because in some cases they were distracting runners. Like I said, they are allowed if the runner okays them.

I don't get why people would even feel the need to bring plushies or feel the need to wear costumes, other than to draw attention to themselves and away from the runner/commentators/etc.

Yeah, why have fun at a marathon for charity.

Xeteh

My issue with the plushies were the stupid donation messages where people wanted them to be used to fuck with the runners... there was some guy running RE last time that the people behind him would not stop screwing around with it while he was running and it seemed like he was trying really hard not to be annoyed by it.

If that is "fun" then yes.

The only reason people wore costumes and brought shit into the stream room was to draw attention to themselves. In this case, I'm assuming the runner planned the costumes with them, so even though it was annoying, I think this certain case was okay.

I think the rule is you can bring/wear stuff if you speak with the runner about it, but I could be mistaken.

Seems like a case of "stop doing and liking things that I don't like". I'm not too big on the costumes or stuffed animals either but it seemed to be part of the fun for a bunch of people. I mean in a game like this where anyone that isn't interested in it are already leaving the stream it isn't going to lose more viewers or be less enjoyable with stuff like that.

Like you I do also enjoy Mike being a jerk to people like in that gif and all the people getting mads though, so guess it works out both ways. :3

Indignate

I would assume there are people like that, but I would also assume people bring stuff to this for the some reason why people bring stuff to any event. It's because they're excited and happy to be there and want to show that with their foam fingers and what not.

I mean, if the issue is people drawing attention to themselves or whatever then they shouldn't even allow anyone to sit behind the couch.

Josh7289

I wonder if the data from last year showed a drop in donations during the streams with costumes. If so, then I think we could all support the ban on them. This is a charity drive, after all.

Mesoian

If you need to bring a shitty stuffed animal and wear a costume in order to have fun, then you are the one with the problem, not the organizers of this event.

Wow. What an extraordinarily narrow view of things.

Though this mindset is probably why Blueglass isn't in the background of every run, like he has been in every event prior to this one.

I've had a long day and I don't know what this is so I'm off to bed. I'm definitely watching the DKC2 run even if it's the only one during the day I'll get to.

The only plushie thing was Withhelde bringing that Touhou doll to every event. And when have costumes ever been an actual problem? This is Uyama overreacting to try and keep the gravy train rolling. I understand some changes have to be made to accommodate the growing crowd size, but this event has felt sterile as hell, and banning people from dressing up feels totally inane.

dreams

My issue with the plushies were the stupid donation messages where people wanted them to be used to fuck with the runners... there was some guy running RE last time that the people behind him would not stop screwing around with it while he was running and it seemed like he was trying really hard not to be annoyed by it.

Yeah, exactly. People fuck around with them and distract the runners. And then people get butthurt when they are banned without approval.

Dambrosi

Banned

Wow, you know you have a problem when you take a charity video game marathon as seriously as the fucking Olympics. Calm down, mate, there ain't no medals or sponsorship money at stake.

I mean, if the runners were getting cash prizes for their runs, I'd somewhat understand, but NO.

I mean, if the issue is people drawing attention to themselves or whatever then they shouldn't even allow anyone to sit behind the couch.

Well, that is a rule now as well. Only people you see on screen are runner/event approved now I think, and all the other attendees and audience is off screen watching the run on a projector.

For better or worse this is being made more professional. May lose some of it's "character" but may also gain more acceptance and donations because of it. Who knows.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well, that is a rule now as well. Only people you see on screen are runner/event approved now I think, and all the other attendees and audience is off screen watching the run on a projector.

For better or worse this is being made more professional. May lose some of it's "character" but may also gain more acceptance and donations because of it. Who knows.

Next year, they'll have the runner alone in a closed sound proof room playing.

thank god

crowd sucks

He cares about getting the mushroom higher on that boss fight, but on the last one he just let it drop and sit there for a moment.

This is kind of impressive, but feels lacking somehow. I wish he was finding a way to collect the Red Stars along the way, but maybe that would drag out the run too much.

dreams

The only plushie thing was Withhelde bringing that Touhou doll to every event. And when have costumes ever been an actual problem? This is Uyama overreacting to try and keep the gravy train rolling. I understand some changes have to be made to accommodate the growing crowd size, but this event has felt sterile as hell, and banning people from dressing up feels totally inane.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I don't see why this would make the event "sterile" or less fun.

This year has been the same as every other year, imo. The beginning is always slow, because the major players that everyone wants to see aren't there yet. Every year people are sensationalist and say "is this the year AGDQ dies? It's so boring!" etc.

Did you watch BBT? It was amazing and hype as hell. There are some really awesome games coming up later on in the week as well.

dreams

Wow, you know you have a problem when you take a charity video game marathon as seriously as the fucking Olympics. Calm down, mate, there ain't no medals or sponsorship money at stake.

I mean, if the runners were getting cash prizes for their runs, I'd somewhat understand, but NO.

?

This even would literally not exist without the runners.

Nanashrew

Banned
What's great about the images of that cosplay is that it was done during Sonic R and they were all singing to the music. It was fun and hilarious to watch the run and the players groove and crack up from each other.

dreams

FWIW, I think it's just the first row behind the couch that is approved, but that could have been updated.

It's a case of a few people ruining things for everyone.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, at the risk of sounding kind of rude: are these "touhou" games meant to be actual games, or are they fan games of some kind?

This is a fan game, not made by ZUN, the creator of the actual Touhou games.

Actual Touhou games are bullet hell shmups (and quite good ones at that).

Mesoian

What's great about the images of that cosplay is that it was done during Sonic R and they were all singing to the music. It was fun and hilarious to watch the run and the players groove and crack up from each other.

I had a massive grin on my face during that entire segment.

So, at the risk of sounding kind of rude: are these "touhou" games meant to be actual games, or are they fan games of some kind?

...It's complicated.

Remember how like, 5 or 6 years ago, Miku Hatsune was a new thing that people were using to make music, and then the idea of her started getting popular, and she got a sonic-esque group of friends and people were making fan animations and games and art and such, and then it go so popular, the lines of what was official and what wasn't was blurred to the point where you can't actually tell the difference anymore?

That's Touhou. It's a giant spaghetti monster of a thing that spawned from some kid's drawing table and spun wildly out of control. There's an anime now. It's not official.

It's complicated.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I don't see why this would make the event "sterile" or less fun.

This year has been the same as every other year, imo. The beginning is always slow, because the major players that everyone wants to see aren't there yet. Every year people are sensationalist and say "is this the year AGDQ dies? It's so boring!" etc.

Did you watch BBT? It was amazing and hype as hell. There are some really awesome games coming up later on in the week as well.

Yeah I don't mean to drag this thread down, so I'll just end it with this thought; most of these runners are nervous as hell, and if they're not capable of carrying a commentary throughout, or have someone on the couch that can, these runs are absolutely dead silent, and boring as hell right now. In previous GDQ's, (especially 12 and 13) there was almost always something going on, this year, if you've got a nervous guy playing with no backup, it's stone silent.

survivor

Banned

Actual Touhou games are shmups. This is just a fanmade game using the characters made by a different group.

Top Bottom