• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wait, only certain people are approved for the immediate audience seating?

On one hand, I understand, but on the other...way to kill some of the crowd hype. No wonder everytime 'hype' came up on the commentator, the response was middling.

I just figured more people were off-screen, lol.

PKrockin

Yeah I don't mean to drag this thread down, so I'll just end it with this thought; most of these runners are nervous as hell, and if they're not capable of carrying a commentary throughout, or have someone on the couch that can, these runs are absolutely dead silent, and boring as hell right now. In previous GDQ's, (especially 12 and 13) there was almost always something going on, this year, if you've got a nervous guy playing with no backup, it's stone silent.
Isn't that what couch commentary is for?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wait, only certain people are approved for the immediate audience seating?

On one hand, I understand, but on the other...way to kill some of the crowd hype. No wonder everytime 'hype' came up on the commentator, the response was middling.

I just figured more people were off-screen, lol.

They are in a conference room. There are more people in the room than are on camera.

He cares about getting the mushroom higher on that boss fight, but on the last one he just let it drop and sit there for a moment.

This is kind of impressive, but feels lacking somehow. I wish he was finding a way to collect the Red Stars along the way, but maybe that would drag out the run too much.

Yeah, it feels that if he put this kind of effort into one of the more popular games people would be way more hype for this. Sad for the runner but what can you do?

Yeah, you're right, but it's one of the things that really takes away from the charm of the event. His presence was a staple, and now it's gone.

I agree, but also recognize that the changes are for a reason. I mean you can even see people here that are happy about the lack of crowds and what not so it may be fore the better of the event going forward, even if I find it less enjoyable to watch. You always lose something when an event gets bigger and more mainstream, just the way it is.

FWIW, I think it's just the first row behind the couch that is approved, but that could have been updated.

It's a case of a few people ruining things for everyone.

I think that is the rule, but I've noticed everyone clearing out and new people coming in after every game so don't know. And you are right, just takes a few people doing dumb stuff to get everything banned.

demidar

This is a fan game, not made by ZUN, the creator of the actual Touhou games.

Actual Touhou games are bullet hell shmups (and quite good ones at that).

There are some good fangames, like MegaMari (which I think was run 2 years ago?) and Touhouvania 2 (run last SGDQ). This one just doesn't really measure up, though I'm sure it's fun to play, just not to watch.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah I don't mean to drag this thread down, so I'll just end it with this thought; most of these runners are nervous as hell, and if they're not capable of carrying a commentary throughout, or have someone on the couch that can, these runs are absolutely dead silent, and boring as hell right now. In previous GDQ's, (especially 12 and 13) there was almost always something going on, this year, if you've got a nervous guy playing with no backup, it's stone silent.

This year doesn't really feel that different regarding that. There was some really awkward stuff happening in the past GDQs.

dreams

I get what you're saying, but don't worry, this really is pretty normal. There were always periods with awkward people playing awkward, boring (opinions!) games with little commentary. It's just how it goes with, like you said, people being nervous and everything. It's a pretty normal occurrence with the GDQs. Especially during the later time blocks like this.

Mesoian

Real talk, they probably wanted to avoid moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1BHdjlM31g

Yeah, it feels that if he put this kind of effort into one of the more popular games people would be way more hype for this. Sad for the runner but what can you do?

That's... not what I meant at all, unless you were sarcastically replying. My point is that since the game has a relatively slow pace without speed boosts, and in some places he's just strolling through open stretches of nothing, it would be more interesting to watch a more technically-oriented run, which the stars look like they would require.

I can't fault him for what he's practiced, and what he can do is impressive, but it was a little dry to watch for the marathon.

Dambrosi

Banned
?

This even would literally not exist without the runners.
...? I'm sure I never said it would.

But taking this stuff so seriously is a typically nerdish overreaction to a very minor problem, if it's a problem at all. This ain't eSports, and even then, I'm sure cosplay is still allowed in major DOTA2, LOL or CS:GO tournaments.

Coonce

oh sick, they have the devs on. I love it when they break the games and the devs can/can't explain what is happening.

I think a big part of making a run fun to watch and interesting is having a well spoken person on the couch who knows what's going on and how to explain it. who's the guy in the blue shirt?

Metroidvania

Man, I remember getting about 2/3 of the way through TBP, but couldn't muster up the energy to keep going. This should be good.

They Bleed Pixels should be pretty darn amazing; it's sort of like Super Meat Boy but with combat.

Yeah, it reminded me of SMB combined with a bit of guacamelee in the combat.

Real talk, they probably wanted to avoid moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1BHdjlM31g

Oh god, I can never forget that series of events.

Xeteh

It must suck for the runner, but I love the drama and awkwardness.

Lol, I'm the total opposite. I seriously can't watch when things get awkward like that.

Man, I love the movement options in They Bleed Pixels. I keep thinking of picking it up when it is on sale but I never do. I'll have to do it next time.

dreams

...? I'm sure I never said it would.

But taking this stuff so seriously is a typically nerdish overreaction to a very minor problem, if it's a problem at all. This ain't eSports, and even then, I'm sure cosplay is still allowed in major DOTA2, LOL or CS:GO tournaments.

I feel like getting upset because you can't wear costumes or bring plushies into the stream room is more of a typically nerdish overreaciton, but ymmv.

The organizers received feedback from runners and attendees. They made rules based on that feedback. It's as simple as that.

Nabs

I can't wait to see how he manages the ch.4. Should be fun.

Man, I remember getting about 2/3 of the way through TBP, but couldn't muster up the energy to keep going. This should be good.

I don't really blame you. I had to push myself to finish it up.

Made by Nifflas, the guy who did all the Knytt games as well as Night Sky. One of his first games, and it shows, but it's really fun.

Loved Deep Forest and Knytt/Knytt stories. Kinda lost track of him after them. Also only didn't say his name (Nifflas) because I didn't want to go google it to make sure I spelt it correctly. :3

Lo_Fi

They're speedrunning Perspective next, which I was the level designer for. I can't wait to see how they break it.

Nabs

Welp. This level was rough when I went through it on launch. The way you have to make some of these jumps...

Dambrosi

Banned
I feel like getting upset because you can't wear costumes or bring plushies into the stream room is more of a typically nerdish overreaciton, but ymmv.

The organizers received feedback from runners and attendees. They made rules based on that feedback. It's as simple as that.
Yeah, but then you've got to ask yourself why the runners are doing this live on stream at all. Oh, that's right, because it's part of what is basically a video games charity telethon meant as entertainment. Like it or not, the audience came to be entertained; if dressing up as Reimu Hakurei or bringing a Yoshi plushie helps with that, then so be it, and that's part of the event's character anyway, so there's an appeal to tradition in there too if you want. :p

Also: I watched that video, and while annoying for both streamer and watcher, I noticed something important. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the annoying bastard wasn't wearing a costume of any kind, nor was he holding any toys, plush or otherwise - he was just being an asshole. He should have been thrown out of the event immediately. No need for collective punishment for his misdeeds.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter. This shit is getting off-topic.

dmr87

Devs

Nllb.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
TBP looks really cool. Is the combat annoying? I like that sort of platforming, but I don't know if the combat would be my favorite.

Metroidvania

TBP looks really cool. Is the combat annoying? I like that sort of platforming, but I don't know if the combat would be my favorite.

It's manageable, pretty basic.

The main reason it's there is to either mix it up a bit from platforming (and provide a checkpoint), or to place roadblocks that you need to pass in order to proceed through a time-limited platforming section.

Top Bottom