• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
TAS is hit or miss but everything after that should be hits before the event ends, god I'll not get any sleep tonight.

Just tuned in for the day....

Does that guy have an old timey camera from the turn of the previous century?

If so, is that what is happening with the kids these days? To each their own but I can't help but ask why.

I just took a look at The Yetee shirts they're offering this time around.

Holy crap, I want so many of these. Usually I get like two, but I see six that I really want lol.

I just can't imagine the image quality on that is up to snuff. And if it doesn't have the image quality of a 1900's era camera then why use it over a newer, different film camera?

dreams

Just tuned in for the day....

Does that guy have an old timey camera from the turn of the previous century?

If so, is that what is happening with the kids these days? To each their own but I can't help but ask why.

There's only one reason why someone would have that kind of stupid camera there and ALSO conveniently sit directly in front of the stream camera

150Hz controllers and they're Xbox controllers? Makes the NES Classic sound like a hackjob :(

edit: Filtered inputs? It gets better...I think I'll just stop here and say watch the TASbot block.

if only the camera was a little more zoomed in on the TASbot so I can see the inputs on the controller

C2J88sfUoAE9N15.jpg

C2KCbRXUAAAM2Um.jpg

C2JRIq9UcAAqOHb.jpg

Can someone explain what this TASbot thing is? I thought it was a programmed robot playing the games, but there seems to be some human element to it where the ship in gradius was spelling letters with the ship

Can someone explain what this TASbot thing is? I thought it was a programmed robot playing the games, but there seems to be some human element to it where the ship in gradius was spelling letters with the ship

it is programmed to move like that. It's basically where they program movements and such frame by frame until everything is perfect

It basically plays back pre-recorded inputs from runs that were perfected on emulators to the point it does tricks humanly impossible to do.

One thing I am curious about is how TAS runs deal with rng in games where that's a factor

There is no such thing as random in computers. RNG is just things that seems random to a regular human being (usually, it's based on the system time). But if you can control everything, you can control the "random" values, too.

KarmaCow

One thing I am curious about is how TAS runs deal with rng in games where that's a factor

There's no such thing as completely random with a computer. It's deterministic so if you can manipulate the starting seed for the RNG through things like simply starting at the same exact time or removing the battery, you can know exactly what will happen afterwards.

Top Bottom