• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Holy shit

C2KFz2mUcAEnHn4.jpg

Let's bow down to our master.

KarmaCow

I guess I missed something but was it reading a video from an external source or was it actually drawing each frame with controller inputs?

How can they put a video in link to the past?
I assume there's an exploit that accepts inputs as code similar to SMB3 and they just compiled it on the fly??? I doubt you can fit a video in the sram, but also I don't know what I'm talking about.

It's awesome to watch though.

linko9

They should really take more time to explain what exactly this is, in terms of hardware, etc. Like, could I take a snes and LttP cart and a robot and make that happen? Or is that some MSU1 hack running on a SD2SNES playing a video file?

They should really take more time to explain what exactly this is, in terms of hardware, etc. Like, could I take a snes and LttP cart and a robot and make that happen? Or is that some MSU1 hack running on a SD2SNES playing a video file?

You can take a SNES, LttP cart, and a robot, yes. They literally have a raspberry pi playing back the pre-reocrded inputs through to the SNES ports.

jediyoshi

It's all real hardware. Controllers/console/cart, what's being manipulated are the inputs.

Tukker

Yeah, same. It's neat the first time you see it and then every time after it's like more of the same.
Isn't that the same for each speedrun though? At some point you just know what is going to happen once you know all the tricks in that specific game.

dreams

Super Mario Maker event denied for reasons.

A 5fps video of a Portal TAS though? Approved!

They did a mystery tournament instead. Chill.

Isn't that the same for each speedrun though? At some point you just know what is going to happen once you know all the tricks in that specific game.

It is, which is why some games aren't in year over year. Some stay in every year only because they bring in tons of donations. (for example, TAS block, which I said earlier)

BasicMath

Super Mario Maker event denied for reasons.

A 5fps video of a Portal TAS though? Approved!
Mario Maker is probably going to be a once every 2-3 GDQs thing like a bunch of other popular runs. I imagine it's a pain to organize too. It requires level designers and 8 good Mario runners plus 2-4 backups. The only thing that is tradition and is staying is Super Metroid and that's because it gets insane donations.

Top Bottom