• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 10: Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 (2:07:24)

This week we discuss the Nintendo 64 launch, Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Neifirst

Now that's a lineup of games! N64 coincided with my undergraduate years, so there were many hours of Mario 64, Wave Race, Wayne Gretsky 3D Hockey, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, it just goes on an on. Can't wait.

Now that's a lineup of games! N64 coincided with my undergraduate years, so there were many hours of Mario 64, Wave Race, Wayne Gretsky 3D Hockey, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, it just goes on an on. Can't wait.

N64 had a really interesting launch, and launch lineup. At the time it was literally the hardest holiday gift to acquire. Then there were the $100 games...

Yes Boss!

Came out a week early in So Cal. All of a sudden we heard Toys R Us had our preorders in stock so we rushed down there!

Also, I had already beat Mario 64 a few weeks prior since TRU had set up displays! Not 120...but enough to open up Bowser and crush him.

And, first time I played the N64 was at the old Blizzard offices (the old one off Alton Parkway) where they had an import unit in their gameroom. That was glorious.

RkOwnage

This is one of five VHS tapes I still own

weuZVoE.jpg

Booyah, mofo. (not my image, but the tape is in storage, until I can dig it out again!)

This is one of five VHS tapes I still own

weuZVoE.jpg

Booyah, mofo. (not my image, but the tape is in storage, until I can dig it out again!)

Ya, same here. Actually ordered them all off of eBay about five or six years ago because I was afraid my original tapes would be ruined one day so now I have two copies of each. :p

Holy shit! I remember getting that from Nintendo Power.

Basically an instant HYPER HYPE creator. I needed a N64 more than anything ever (as a 10 year old).

Kai

True Story....

Service Merchandise was closing down and I badly wanted an N64. A week before the release I was curious to see if they actually stocked the N64 even though they were "closing down" 3 weeks later. Much to my surprise they were. I went to the inventory area near the customer service return desk and saw behind the glass doors a stack of N64's. I asked the dude behind the counter if he would be willing to sell them early since hell, the store was closing down.

He lifted up his sleeve to show a huge Sonic The Hedgehog tattoo and said - "Anything to screw Nintendo!".... I biked home as fast as I could and begged my parents to buy the system for me. My dad cut me a deal that if I read the entire Time Life Science series and wrote a report on each book for him (I am Indian and this is how my parents worked - do reports and extra curricular scholastic work and he would reward me) throughout the next 3 months he would buy it for me. We went to the store and bought it that day - roughly 5 days before the "launch".

I was in heaven and got all 120 stars before the official launch even happened. I will never forget that launch.....

Kai

Came out a week early in So Cal. All of a sudden we heard Toys R Us had our preorders in stock so we rushed down there!

Also, I had already beat Mario 64 a few weeks prior since TRU had set up displays! Not 120...but enough to open up Bowser and crush him.

And, first time I played the N64 was at the old Blizzard offices (the old one off Alton Parkway) where they had an import unit in their gameroom. That was glorious.

2 questions:

Who is in your avatar pic?
Also - I remember that office. Did you used to work at Blizz?

True Story....

Service Merchandise was closing down and I badly wanted an N64. A week before the release I was curious to see if they actually stocked the N64 even though they were "closing down" 3 weeks later. Much to my surprise they were. I went to the inventory area near the customer service return desk and saw behind the glass doors a stack of N64's. I asked the dude behind the counter if he would be willing to sell them early since hell, the store was closing down.

He lifted up his sleeve to show a huge Sonic The Hedgehog tattoo and said - "Anything to screw Nintendo!".... I biked home as fast as I could and begged my parents to buy the system for me. My dad cut me a deal that if I read the entire Time Life Science series and wrote a report on each book for him (I am Indian and this is how my parents worked - do reports and extra curricular scholastic work and he would reward me) throughout the next 3 months he would buy it for me. We went to the store and bought it that day - roughly 5 days before the "launch".

I was in heaven and got all 120 stars before the official launch even happened. I will never forget that launch.....

Holy shit! That is so nuts! Thanks for sharing. Going to have to go through all these launch stories on the show.

Life's getting in the way for all three of this week. N64 episode is still coming! Consider it a delayed release date; we've all experienced those.

Yes Boss!

2 questions:

Who is in your avatar pic?
Also - I remember that office. Did you used to work at Blizz?

Avatar is Shirya. Mostly a southern Indian actress (Tamil and Telugu industries) but has done all the other industries...including english-language productions. Most recently seen in the Canadian adaption of Midnight's Children.

Never worked at Blizzard. My old high-school friend used to work there as one of their main artists. I think they were working on Diablo II at the time I saw the N64 in their gameroom. (Incidentally, they also had Playstation 1 dev kits in the offices).

oatmeal

Banned
I had no idea RkOwnage was Trey.

Life's getting in the way for all three of this week. N64 episode is still coming! Consider it a delayed release date; we've all experienced those.

How fitting for your first N64 episode. I hope this one goes on for hours.

The N64 launch episode is still coming. A perfect storm of work and family stuff has delayed the recording. Will keep you up to date. We will have it done by the end of the week.

Def Jukie

This is only fitting for the first N64 episode. There was more waiting than playing on that thing anyhow.

Was anyone an N64 owner only at the time? I hate to crap on the system but aside from Nintendo's own efforts (including Rare) and a handful of third party exclusives the lineup of games is incredibly lacking. There were almost as many Dreamcast games released in North America as there were on the N64 in less than half the time. This was the beginning of Nintendo's piss poor third party support and huge droughts in software. It's irrelevant now but the prices of the games were really off-puting at the time as well. I had some fun with it but it was always a secondary machine for me to the Playstation and then the Dreamcast. The games that are great are incredible but there aren't enough of them. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to own multiple consoles at that time.

I broke out my system and some games because you guys were doing this episode for the first time in probably over 10 years and was reminded how much I dislike the hardware itself. I find the controller is really awkward to hold and poorly designed, the lack of a sound chip really hurts the audio quality and there is no rgb support without a mod. All of which are really disappointing especially coming off the incredibly designed SNES.

I wish I had the reverence for the system that some of you have but it's the only console that I own that I really don't enjoy revisiting. It is quite easily my least favorite Nintendo console ever.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I hope everything is cool with you guys and I'm looking forward to the next episode regardless of my opinions on the system.

This is only fitting for the first N64 episode. There was more waiting than playing on that thing anyhow.

Was anyone an N64 owner only at the time? I hate to crap on the system but aside from Nintendo's own efforts (including Rare) and a handful of third party exclusives the lineup of games is incredibly lacking. There were almost as many Dreamcast games released in North America as there were on the N64 in less than half the time. This was the beginning of Nintendo's piss poor third party support and huge droughts in software. It's irrelevant now but the prices of the games were really off-puting at the time as well. I had some fun with it but it was always a secondary machine for me to the Playstation and then the Dreamcast. The games that are great are incredible but there aren't enough of them. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to own multiple consoles at that time.

I broke out my system and some games because you guys were doing this episode for the first time in probably over 10 years and was reminded how much I dislike the hardware itself. I find the controller is really awkward to hold and poorly designed, the lack of a sound chip really hurts the audio quality and there is no rgb support without a mod. All of which are really disappointing especially coming off the incredibly designed SNES.

I wish I had the reverence for the system that some of you have but it's the only console that I own that I really don't enjoy revisiting. It is quite easily my least favorite Nintendo console ever.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I hope everything is cool with you guys and I'm looking forward to the next episode regardless of my opinions on the system.

I completely understand your frustrations with the N64. thankfully it wasn't my only console at the time.

RkOwnage

When we do record this episode, I'll respond to this topic in a good bit of detail, because I may have a perspective you're looking for.

turnbuckle

Thanks. We are on a bit of a delay right now with things in my personal life going crazy. We will be back soon!

I hope so! I was worried that maybe you guys stopped doing the podcast. Glad to hear it's just that your personal life is crazy... well, I mean, you know what I mean haha. Great podcast, the first retro gaming podcast since Retronauts that I find myself looking forward to.

RkOwnage

I hope so! I was worried that maybe you guys stopped doing the podcast. Glad to hear it's just that your personal life is crazy... well, I mean, you know what I mean haha. Great podcast, the first retro gaming podcast since Retronauts that I find myself looking forward to.

Thanks, that kind of support really makes me eager to get back to recording some! I know Kevin has had a hectic couple of weeks, but we'll be back!

oatmeal

Banned
N64 was my only system (I didn't have anything non-Nintendo until the Xbox, I never owned a PS2).

I loved it. Yeah there were delays, but the games that came out usually had wicked replay value. And I was huge into multiplayer with friends back then, so the gaps between games wasn't too noticeable.

wondermega

hey hey hey! sorry for the bump, I know people will be mad 'cuz it is Sunday and I am making the thread get visibility again - just wanted to show support & hoping for a new release soon :)

Happy to announce we will be back this Sunday with a new episode.

Had some family issues come up and work has been crazy, but finally we can get back on schedule.

Teknoman

Good to hear. Btw...you guys should put together a horror game themed episode for Halloween. Some Splatterhouse, Ghouls & Goblins, Castlevania IV / Bloodlines, etc.

Not everything, but would be nice to see some common horror based titles, and maybe one obscure make an appearance then.

Good to hear. Btw...you guys should put together a horror game themed episode for Halloween. Some Splatterhouse, Ghouls & Goblins, Castlevania IV / Bloodlines, etc.

Not everything, but would be nice to see some common horror based titles, and maybe one obscure make an appearance then.

That's a great idea! It also would give me an excuse to play Bloodlines.

Def Jukie

That's a great idea! It also would give me an excuse to play Bloodlines.

Yeah, that would be really cool. Also, I just played through Bloodlines for the first time recently and loved it. It's one of the only 2D Castlevania games that I had not played through and I can't believe I waited so long to try it out. I think it would be a great choice for a Halloween themed episode. It's definitely one of the gorier Castlevanias.

Top Bottom