• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Yeah, that would be really cool. Also, I just played through Bloodlines for the first time recently and loved it. It's one of the only 2D Castlevania games that I had not played through and I can't believe I waited so long to try it out. I think it would be a great choice for a Halloween themed episode. It's definitely one of the gorier Castlevanias.

Gore factor seals the deal for it being in this hypothetical Halloween episode. I will advocate for it in our next planning meeting.

Good to hear. Btw...you guys should put together a horror game themed episode for Halloween. Some Splatterhouse, Ghouls & Goblins, Castlevania IV / Bloodlines, etc.

Not everything, but would be nice to see some common horror based titles, and maybe one obscure make an appearance then.

Maybe Resident Evil?

Nice!

As much as I like Retronauts I tend to like your podcast more. Something to listen to tomorrow at work!

I can understand that as well. I think it's the fact that Kev and crew commit themselves to acquiring/replaying said games as part of the rules, so they're not just going off of memory/winging it like Retronauts sometimes does. Also obviously the subject matter is very much more specific and lends itself better to more thorough deconstruction.

Nice!

As much as I like Retronauts I tend to like your podcast more. Something to listen to tomorrow at work!

I can understand that as well. I think it's the fact that Kev and crew commit themselves to acquiring/replaying said games as part of the rules, so they're not just going off of memory/winging it like Retronauts sometimes does. Also obviously the subject matter is very much more specific and lends itself better to more thorough deconstruction.

I love you guys! Love the guys on retronaughts too though.

Neifirst

Agreed 100%. Fresh replays, or playing a given title for the first time, help bring a lot of details to the discussion. Can't wait for the N64 episode - the system came out 17 years ago today, I believe.

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 10: Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 (2:07:24)

This week we discuss the Nintendo 64 launch, Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Teknoman

On the Wii U:

No Smash bros love? Say it aint so.

Anyway, the full version of Wonderful 101 is pretty fun and challenging. Not sure how you feel about current gen Sonic games post Colors/Generations, but Sonic Lost World looks like its shaping up to be pretty cool. Also Bayonetta 2 whenever that hits.

Also while Mario 3D world doesnt look too ambitious (from what we've seen anyway, which I really hope they show more soon) will probably be pretty fun sp and mp.

On the Wii U:

Anyway, the full version of Wonderful 101 is pretty fun and challenging. Not sure how you feel about current gen Sonic games post Colors/Generations, but Sonic Lost World looks like its shaping up to be pretty cool. Also Bayonetta 2 whenever that hits.

Also while Mario 3D world doesnt look too ambitious (from what we've seen anyway, which I really hope they show more soon) will probably be pretty fun sp and mp.

I for one love and enjoy all Smash.

RkOwnage

On the Wii U:

Unless Nintendo is publishing it, I highly doubt Bayonetta 2 is going to be an exclusive, in the end. I think just like Rayman Legends, it'll go multiplat. But, I could be wrong, like I said, not sure about the publishing situation, but if it isn't Nintendo, I'd bet on it being multiplat.

Unless Nintendo is publishing it, I highly doubt Bayonetta 2 is going to be an exclusive, in the end. I think just like Rayman Legends, it'll go multiplat. But, I could be wrong, like I said, not sure about the publishing situation, but if it isn't Nintendo, I'd bet on it being multiplat.
Nintendo is publishing/funding it.

Again, the best way to help us and show support is to review the podcast on iTunes and share the link with a friend. Thanks so much!

The game is rad. You know what isn't underrated? Neo Turf Masters

Get%20the%20fuck%20out_.gif

Anyone else played the PS1 version of Mega Man 2? It is super weird/cool!

For example, there is no issues with limited sound channels, so nothing is lost when multiple sounds/music are being played.

After talking with Josh and my buddy in Japan, I decided to order two more of the new Vitas, the Light Blue and Lime Green.

This got expensive
and stupid
fast...

- 1 White Vita 2000 ¥ 18,995
- 1 Black/Khaki 2000 ¥ 18,995
- 1 Light Blue 2000 ¥ 18,995
- 1 Lime Green 2000 ¥ 18,995

- 1 Khaki sleeve case ¥ 1,282
- 1 White Sleeve Case ¥ 1,282
- 1 Light Bluesleeve case ¥ 1,282
- 1 Lime Greensleeve case ¥ 1,282

- 1 64GB Memory card ¥ 8,572
- 4 PlayStation Vita Protective Film ¥ 645x4 =2540

But seriously, can we talk about how awesome the colors are?

Got to play a bunch of Mega Man 2 today. That game is almost perfection.

Been a nice challenge playing the Japanese version (Hard) as well!

RkOwnage

Gloam

I have an outline setup for FF IV and also Dragon Quest V.

I am hoping to hit up JohnTV when things quiet down a little with them to get him on the DQV episode.

Oh wow! Really? That would be great, Dragon Quest doesn't get enough podcast lovin'.

Apenheul

I've only listened to the first half of episode 10 but I think this is the best one so far. It's touching those iconic moments that work well (at least for me). For example when the stained glass is mentioned I can almost see those castle hallways in my mind.

False, I hate this train of thought. Mega Man 2 is so far from perfect and isn't even the best Mega Man. Take the nostalgia goggles off.
I'll just say that I personally prefer MM3 over MM2. The only thing that MM2 has over MM3 is maybe the overall quality of the music, though MM3 has Snake Man which is my personal favorite. Other than that MM3 has much larger and more interesting levels, it has Rush instead of generic item '1' '2' or '3' and no ridiculously overpowered weapon like the metal blade. The slide mechanic was perhaps a little underutilized but it made controlling Mega Man a little snappier IMO,

Gloam

We talked about doing a Zelda II cast too, but it will have to wait until I get back out to japan. Skype works pretty well though.

Yeah Skype can work well if you have video chat going, stops people stepping over one another and what not. You can't beat face-to-face conversations though. Having said that, you guys do a great job with Skype on the regular casts.

Anyway, I anticipate any and all DQ discussion.

I've only listened to the first half of episode 10 but I think this is the best one so far. It's touching those iconic moments that work well (at least for me). For example when the stained glass is mentioned I can almost see those castle hallways in my mind.

I'll just say that I personally prefer MM3 over MM2. The only thing that MM2 has over MM3 is maybe the overall quality of the music, though MM3 has Snake Man which is my personal favorite. Other than that MM3 has much larger and more interesting levels, it has Rush instead of generic item '1' '2' or '3' and no ridiculously overpowered weapon like the metal blade. The slide mechanic was perhaps a little underutilized but it made controlling Mega Man a little snappier IMO,

Thanks! And good points. Will bring this up next episode. Same if others want to share.

Drop some text on me man, what are your thoughts?

Okay let me first say that Mega Man 2 is a fun game. Nothing changes that. I think many people overlook many things about it though.

My biggest gripe with the game is Metal Blades. Metal Blades break Mega Man 2. Simple rule of Mega Man is there are 8 bosses and each boss is weak to another bosses weapon. Each weapon is designed to (1) function as an alternate way of damaging enemies differently or using different propeties and (2) doing extra damage against the boss it's weak too. Metal Blades severely destroy multiple bosses and Wily bosses. Heck even Metal Man himself is weak to Metal Blades. This destroys an unique element to Mega Man. Not only are Metal Blades great against bosses but they take up almost no energy at all. Other weapons take multiple pixels of energy for a single shot. Metal Blades can fire twice and only taking up a single pixel of energy. This is bullshit. Watch any speed run of MM2, Metal Blades is used almost 90% of the time. This in effect breaks the base of MM2 farther. Mega Man can only shoot in direction straight, either left or right and with the given height of a jump. Metal Blades can be fired in an 8-way direction, meaning Mega Man can kill enemies and hit things he isn't normally supposed to be able to hit. If maybe the blades were weaker or took up a lot of energy to compensate for this it would be different but any energy you can gain in the stages will make up for whatever you have used up until that point in time. Every single weapon even during the stages is now rendered useless. Very bad game design.

Next we have the boss in Wily Stage 3. The boss with the multiple shooting turrets. The only thing you can use are crash bombs. You have exactly enough shots to defeat the boss and destroy the destructible walls. You fuck up once and your screwed. You have to kill all your lives until you get a game over so you can get more energy for the crash bombs. Bad game design.

Another thing for me personally (So opinion time) is that Mega Man 2 has a terrible color palette to it. I know the NES has limitations, I get that. Mega Man was originally gonna be called Rainbow Man right? Because of all the different color he can change into while using the other weapons. Then why did they pick such awful colors then. Metal looks like puke. Crash, Flash and Quick are all different shades of pink/purple. Air Man is blue and Bubble Man is blue. Wouldn't that be the other way around. Plus I always hated the blue color variants in the other games as well. Mega Man is defaulted on blue, why does he need another blue color. Why isn't there a yellow Mega Man? Or a white Mega Man? Black? Plus why don't they mix and match more colors. Heatman's is red and orange and looks cool, but Quickman's is pink and lighter pink. C'mon.

Speaking of design and color I think some of Mega Man 2 level's have taken a step back in accordance to Mega Man 1. Aesthetically, I mean.

Mega%20Man%201%20-%20Guts%20Man--article_image.jpg

sQNR9.png

Mega_Man_-_NES_-_Fireman_Stage.png

vs

mm2metal_09.png

Mega-Man-2-Heat-Man-Stage-Blocks-512-x-480.png

hqdefault.jpg

Very well put. I totally agree on the metal man blade. For me it was my first MM game and the music is some of the best ever.

If I had to pick the best classic Mega Man game it would be MM9. Best level design and best weapons and all are useful. A good soundtrack, fair gameplay, enjoyable bosses and great replayability make this the best.

If I had to pick the best classic Mega Man game it would be MM9. Best level design and best weapons and all are useful. A good soundtrack, fair gameplay, enjoyable bosses and great replayability make this the best.

I still need to give MM9 and MM10 some more time, have them sitting on my PS3.

Top Bottom