• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 10: Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 (2:07:24)

This week we discuss the Nintendo 64 launch, Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Since people were asking, here are the next few episodes:

• Episode 11: Mega Man 2
  • Episode 12: Aladdin (Genesis vs SNES Versions)
  • Episode 13: Resident Evil
  • Episode 14: Resident Evil 2?
  • Episode 15: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Since people were asking, here are the next few episodes:

• Episode 11: Mega Man 2
  • Episode 12: Aladdin (Genesis vs SNES Versions)
  • Episode 13: Resident Evil
  • Episode 14: Resident Evil 2?
  • Episode 15: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The question becomes : wait for the inevitable release of LTTP on Wii U VC so I can play it on the game pad or just play the SNES copy I already have?

I love the development history of RE2. The whole RE1.5 thing and all. Plus I still laugh at the idea of Mikiami forcing Kamiya to watch a horror movie marathon with him to overcome his fears and set the tone of the game.

Yes Boss!

Might have to re-play A Link to the Past in the next few weeks. Probably been about 15 years. Just in time for the sequel. the DS games never really grabbed me.

Might have to re-play A Link to the Past in the next few weeks. Probably been about 15 years. Just in time for the sequel. the DS games never really grabbed me.

I am really hoping the 3DS game can live up to the game it is following. LttP 2 is a serious statement.

Going to get back to doing a video per week. Anything people want covered specifically?

Maybe some digital retro game options?

RkOwnage

I am really hoping the 3DS game can live up to the game it is following. LttP 2 is a serious statement.

I can already tell you from my perspective it won't, but I hold A Link to the Past on such a high pedastal that its unfair to the game from the get go

Got back into Resident Evil today on the Vita. Perfect day, rainy and dark out :) Earbuds in and shotgun loaded...with 3 shells...

Just started listening. Great stuff guys, I'll be subscribing. I'm excited for Megaman 2 next episode, definitely one of the defining games of my childhood.

Id love to hear you guys go back and play some of the Sonic games

Just started listening. Great stuff guys, I'll be subscribing. I'm excited for Megaman 2 next episode, definitely one of the defining games of my childhood.

Id love to hear you guys go back and play some of the Sonic games

Some Sonic games are definitely in the cards. What's your personal fave?

Some Sonic games are definitely in the cards. What's your personal fave?
Definitely Sonic 2. Plus it opens up a good sidebar discussion on the lost levels.

Earbuds in and lights turned off...

You should fix yourself a Jill Sandwich while you're at it.

Great podcast guys, subscribed. Wish there was more discussion about Yuzo's music during the SOR 2 episode, but this has been a great listen so far.

Definitely Sonic 2. Plus it opens up a good sidebar discussion on the lost levels.

You should fix yourself a Jill Sandwich while you're at it.

Great podcast guys, subscribed. Wish there was more discussion about Yuzo's music during the SOR 2 episode, but this has been a great listen so far.

The sonic episode will be something like Sonic 1 and 2 and then 3 and Knuckles.

Also you are the four person that mentioned, "Jill Sandwich" across Neogaf and Twitter.

Apenheul

I'm particularly looking forward to the Resident Evil one because to this day I've been trying to get into it and I just couldn't. I'm obviously going in with the wrong mindset, like how I used to dislike Metroid Prime until someone said to me that it's like a first person Zelda game.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Resident Evil one because to this day I've been trying to get into it and I just couldn't. I'm obviously going in with the wrong mindset, like how I used to dislike Metroid Prime until someone said to me that it's like a first person Zelda game.

That's a great way to look at MP

The sonic episode will be something like Sonic 1 and 2 and then 3 and Knuckles.

Awesome. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 &Knuckles are probably the definitive games in the series, but of course Sonic 1 has all sorts of history with it being such a change in perspective for Sega.

Lombaszko

A backlog of episodes has been saving my commute, great stuff guys!
Also, thanks for putting the Mega Man password music in the BimP Gaiden: Part 1 episode. That was strangely motivating at the gym this morning.

New avatar, eh?

Light Blue Vita Penguin, just for the release of the Vita 2000!

A backlog of episodes has been saving my commute, great stuff guys!
Also, thanks for putting the Mega Man password music in the BimP Gaiden: Part 1 episode. That was strangely motivating at the gym this morning.
At the beginning? That was Kid Icarus. I might have used it in the middle, can't remember.

Glad it worked!

I was just wondering, what it would take for a few gaffers to join in as guests on the cast? Have you guys thought about opening up maybe certain games that are getting a lot of attention to some posters to join in for an episode? I know it can get messy with more than 3 people talking on a 'cast, but this thread does have some good dialog and some posters can definitely add some good insight on an ep or two.

I was just wondering, what it would take for a few gaffers to join in as guests on the cast? Have you guys thought about opening up maybe certain games that are getting a lot of attention to some posters to join in for an episode? I know it can get messy with more than 3 people talking on a 'cast, but this thread does have some good dialog and some posters can definitely add some good insight on an ep or two.

We have discussed doing mailbags and separate segments with other panelists. As of late my schedule has not allowed to do that. We have even had to go every other week for recording due to our crazy schedules.

daydream

Banned
Glad you're back. I was looking forward to the N64 episode and it did not disappoint.

My only gripe would be that the "Nintendo/WiiU is doomed"-talk is getting kinda repetitive and it especially doesn't mesh well with the rest of the discussion (unless there is a clear lesson to be learned from history). The Retronauts guys are cautious in that regard and it benefits the show. Maybe bring back the recommendations ('retrommendations'?) segment instead.

Just my quick thoughts. Of course, you're free to talk about whatever you like, and overall, you're doing a great job which is even more admirable, considering you're not even a dozen episodes in.

Glad you're back. I was looking forward to the N64 episode and it did not disappoint.

My only gripe would be that the "Nintendo/WiiU is doomed"-talk is getting kinda repetitive and it especially doesn't mesh well with the rest of the discussion (unless there is a clear lesson to be learned from history). The Retronauts guys are cautious in that regard and it benefits the show. Maybe bring back the recommendations ('retrommendations'?) segment instead.

Just my quick thoughts. Of course, you're free to talk about whatever you like, and overall, you're doing a great job which is even more admirable, considering you're not even a dozen episodes in.

I agree, only brought it up because I bought the console.

This is precisely why I put the news/discussion stuff at the end. It might put people off and it will never be time accurate. Everything before that last segment should hold up for a few years.

RkOwnage

I am very guilty of this happening every week and I apologize. After marathon listening to all of our episodes, I can see how someone trying to play catch up may get turned off by the constant mentioning of the whole situation, so I promise to cool it on that front for sure. When we have news, you can be sure it'll be something besides WiiU.

On the issue of talking about Wii U:

It's kind of like being a disappointed parent. I just expect more out of Nintendo than the other two since I grew up on Nintendo. It's complicated. Perhaps a mental disorder.

Yes Boss!

Wii U is one of my favorite Nintendo systems. Easily one of the best first twelve months of releases of any Nintendo console. Kinda difficult for me to comprehend how anybody can be upset. Strange. Nintendo has been on an absolute tear since the release of DS Lite. Really refreshing to have so many releases after the very slow GBA/GCN generation.

Playing through the Aladdin games today. The genesis version is so good. So much personality and captures the movie so well.

It's weird that the SNES version might be the better, "game," but I think the Genesis version better captures the feel of the franchise/movie.

Yes Boss!

Josh I don't see how anyone with a straight face can say the WiiU isn't disapointing.

How can you not, even remotely, see that some folks are very, very happy with Mario and the Luigi remix, Pikmin, Lego, a new IP from Platinum, Mother SNES, a rerelease of Wind Waker, a sequel to 3DS Mario 3D Land?? I know the common refrain is that Wii U is not delivering but, damn, are you guys even playing these games??

How can you not, even remotely, see that some folks are very, very happy with Mario and the Luigi remix, Pikmin, Lego, a new IP from Platinum, Mother SNES, a rerelease of Wind Waker, a sequel to 3DS Mario 3D Land?? I know the common refrain is that Wii U is not delivering but, damn, are you guys even playing these games??

I think it is just a case of what is appealing to me lately. For me the Vita, PS3, and 3DS has been where the games I want to play are.

The VC will never appeal to me as long as games are locked to consoles and not an account.

Other than that, 3D world looks good. And eventually I will have to play the next Zelda. Other than that I feel like Nintendo is just iterating on franchises that I already have 3-4 games from in my library.

With all that being said, I would like to play NSMBU, but I just recently played NSMB2. Same with 3Dworld, but I just replayed 3D Land. A new metroid experience could be cool, along with some new IPs from Nintendo.

In the end, the Wii U has some great software now. It just depends if it appeals to you.

Top Bottom