• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Yes Boss!

Oh no Kevin,

You were very clear on the podcast. Liking techy products and the account issues. I can appreciate those sentiments.

I was more dumbstruck with Slashers over-the-top comment. I know that not every system is for everybody (yes, I buy and play them all) but making such a comment is crazy! Tons of folks extremely pleased with the first year of Wii U.

Oh no Kevin,

You were very clear on the podcast. Liking techy products and the account issues. I can appreciate those sentiments.

I was more dumbstruck with Slashers over-the-top comment. I know that not every system is for everybody (yes, I buy and play them all) but making such a comment is crazy! Tons of folks extremely pleased with the first year of Wii U.

I don't want to speak for someone else, but for me, the problem is more from a lack of creativity in nintendo's first party output - aside from W101, Pikmin 3, and Mario 3D World. I see them doing much more interesting stuff overall on the 3DS. I like the Wii U itself, though. Off tv play is a blessing in my house where I share the tv with my wife and daughter.

Game Guru

Cart or bust. CDs are always something I will be more happy ot buy as digital.

Stupid disc rot...

I think it is just a case of what is appealing to me lately. For me the Vita, PS3, and 3DS has been where the games I want to play are.

The VC will never appeal to me as long as games are locked to consoles and not an account.

Other than that, 3D world looks good. And eventually I will have to play the next Zelda. Other than that I feel like Nintendo is just iterating on franchises that I already have 3-4 games from in my library.

With all that being said, I would like to play NSMBU, but I just recently played NSMB2. Same with 3Dworld, but I just replayed 3D Land. A new metroid experience could be cool, along with some new IPs from Nintendo.

In the end, the Wii U has some great software now. It just depends if it appeals to you.

Here is something which I don't quite understand... I understand you hate disc rot and you hate Nintendo's convoluted online system, but how do you justify buying digitally on PS3 and XBox 360 when said games will be unplayable on either PS4 or Xbox One and the PS3 and Xbox 360 and their download servers will eventually be retired or do you? I ask this as someone who is now almost exclusively PC as far as digital content is concerned. Not just Steam, I might add. I also use GOG, Desura, and Amazon and will generally buy DRM-Free games when I can. I'm somewhat curious since while I love old video games, I lack the collector mentality and will sell games off if I cannot play them anymore.

I just bought a N64 off of eBay and the games I'm getting with it are both SM64 and Wave Race 64 (among other stuff). Man I loved both games, even if I never got the latter until now and I especially love the Nintendo 64, which is the reason why I'm even a gamer in the first place.

...sniff, sniff. I missed my N64 so much and I can't wait until it finally comes back to me.

I just bought a N64 off of eBay and the games I'm getting with it are both SM64 and Wave Race 64 (among other stuff). Man I loved both games, even if I never got the latter until now and I especially love the Nintendo 64, which is the reason why I'm even a gamer in the first place.

...sniff, sniff. I missed my N64 so much and I can't wait until it finally comes back to me.

Awesome! Did you get all 120 stars in SM64? If not, that's still a fun challenge to this day.

We had a really cool discussion that will be airing in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime: How does everyone find time to game? Has it affected your gaming tastes?

mrkgoo

Josh hit on it. Hope you give it a shot, we have gotten a great response from everyone that has checked it out!

I just listened to Episode 2 (Super Mario World). Good stuff! Will check out more, thanks!

Also recommended it to a friend - who has yet to play SMW, citing that it's too hard at the beginning, but does wonder what makes it so good...

I just listened to Episode 2 (Super Mario World). Good stuff! Will check out more, thanks!

Also recommended it to a friend - who has yet to play SMW, citing that it's too hard at the beginning, but does wonder what makes it so good...
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

I wonder if finding SMW difficult is a generational thing. My wife does as well, and she is a couple of years younger than me.

Related to the last episode, my new vitas arrived! Mega Man 2 and 3 look awesome on it!

After spending some time with the Vita 2000, some more thoughts on headphone output power, speakers, FASTER WIFI?, how PSP/PS1 games look, screen brightness, long play sessions, and more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0L5BvYC10

Here are the other 3 unboxing and hands on videos I did if you missed them:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

just catching up with the MM2 podcast

Great work Kev and crew (^___^)

Also, I think Back in my Play might be the only non-cynical, genuine Vita enthusiast podcast out there! <3

Getting in some Super Castlevania IV for the next episode... Love this game. Need to finally beat it.

Stage 6-1 and 6-2 >>>>> all other Castlevania series music

Yes I went there...

just catching up with the MM2 podcast

Great work Kev and crew (^___^)

Also, I think Back in my Play might be the only non-cynical, genuine Vita enthusiast podcast out there! <3

Haha, you're right about the Vita love. In the next episode you'll hear Kevin and I discuss getting older and trying to find time to play games. Vita has been a huge blessing on that front.

Hahah, but at the same time it is anti-Wii U!

Just kidding.
I don't hate the Wii U. I think it is just a bit over priced and needs some, "Must Have" software. Which if course is totally subjective. I think SM3D world looks amazing. That I consider to be must have.

Like I have said before I am not enjoying how Nintendo had handled the Wii U and 3ds digital services along with a few other things that just seem like obvious features.

Haha, you're right about the Vita love. In the next episode you'll hear Kevin and I discuss getting older and trying to find time to play games. Vita has been a huge blessing on that front.

Fucking A!

30 years old with a 1 year old and a 10 year old reporting in here.

Vita is in many ways pretty much my all time favorite piece of kit.

lol, so I just actually got done listening to the MM2 episode while doing the dishes and GAT DAMN was Kev and Josh's rant freaking galvanizing!
It's actually a bit surreal to hear other opinions that completely mimic you're own on something as niche and seemingly misunderstood/misplaced as the Vita.

*hugs fellow VitaBros*

Thanks, AgentOtaku! Do you and the ten-year-old play games together?

I'm really interested in parents' choices of video games for and with their kids. My daughter still doesn't really notice them.

lol, so I just actually got done listening to the MM2 episode while doing the dishes and GAT DAMN was Kev and Josh's rant freaking galvanizing!
It's actually a bit surreal to hear other opinions that completely mimic you're own on something as niche and seemingly misunderstood/misplaced as the Vita.

*hugs fellow VitaBros*

Haha, and I wasn't kidding:

Thanks, AgentOtaku! Do you and the ten-year-old play games together?

I'm really interested in parents' choices of video games for and with their kids. My daughter still doesn't really notice them.

My 1st born got into games around 4. Started him with some racing stuff and his love blossomed for all things automotive from there. Over the subsequent years I gradually brought stuff in... naturally LOTS of Mega Man (which he's now a superfan) and, funnily enough, just a fair amount of retrostuff in general. Obviously this was due to it's natural, simplistic charm but also it's more than age appropriate.
Now at 10, he's got his 3DS and plays mostly 2D sidescrollers and 3D racers.
We have played stuff together over the years when we can find the time though. Recent highlights include Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

Absolutely no Bro of Duty though or any of that nonsense[

Haha, and I wasn't kidding:

159.gif

...my man

Game Guru

Mega Man and Castlevania are two franchises which I love now, but never actually got into until recently with Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the VC Castlevania games as well as Symphony of the Night on XBLA. Back in the NES Days all I played was Mario, Zelda, TMNT, and Ducktales, and that roughly continued for the 16-Bit era, though with Street Fighter and Sonic being additions. It was during the PS1 era which I finally broke out of that line of thinking, given the lack of everything but Street Fighter on it. However by then, I was entranced by 3D games so the 2D Mega Man X games, Mega Man 8 and Symphony of the Night didn't wow me.

There is no doubt that SC IV has an amazing soundtrack. Going to find as many chances as I can to make cuts in the episode next week.

Yes Boss!

Whoo!

Gonna be interesting hearing about the Genesis Aladdin.

Never played it and my coterie were all very much into the Capcom game on SNES. Did not know anybody with the Virgin game. We always kind of looked at it as a crappy licensed western version (without having played it). But, I hear so much fantastic things these days about the Genesis version.

RkOwnage

Really sorry that I had to miss this one. One of the rare instances where I liked the Genesis version better than the SNES. Those damn Squirtles...

Top Bottom