• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baseball Is Beating The NBA And NHL Playoffs In Local TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...the-nba-and-nhl-playoffs-in-local-tv-ratings/

Wednesday was a playoff bevy for sports fans with playoffs in both the NBA and NHL, and a great baseball game nationally, but in 14 of 24 markets, it was not hockey or basketball or even that Mets-Cubs that people were watching, but Major League Baseball on their local regional sports networks.

In a sign that baseball continues to be a regional phenomenon, from Cincinnati to Seattle, Boston to Tampa Bay, Baltimore to St. Louis, and more, it was regular season baseball games that crushed all comers in their respective markets over the NBA and NHL playoffs, as well as the nationally televised MLB game on ESPN.

Leading the way was FOX Sports Kansas City who drew a blistering 13.0 rating for the Kansas City Royals game against the Texas Rangers. That FOX Sports KC rating compared to a 1.6 rating for the two NBA playoff games in the market, a 0.5 rating for the Mets-Cubs game, and a 0.1 rating in KC for the dramatic Game 7 in the NHL on NBC Sports Network.

Even in Pittsburgh, where hockey has a long, passionate history with the Penguins, the Pittsburgh Pirates game against the Philadelphia Phillies pulled an 8.4 rating on ROOT Sports compared to a 2.5 for the Caps-Rangers Game 7 a 0.7 for the early NBA playoff game, a 0.9 for the NBA playoff game nightcap, and a 0.4 rating for ESPN’s airing of the Mets-Cubs game.

Even in Cleveland, where baseball has not been kind to fans early in the season, ratings on the local RSN won the day. The Cleveland Indians drew a 4.7 rating on FOX Sports SportsTime Ohio compared to a 4.5/4.1 for the NBA playoffs, a 0.2 for the Mets-Cubs on ESPN, and a 0.1 rating for the NHL Game 7 on NBCSN.

Remember, baseball isn’t dying. It’s simply becoming more of a regional draw.

Pretty interesting considering all the posts on GAF proclaiming that baseball is dying in the US.

Red Comet

I never really understood the mass appeal of baseball. I like baseball, and I'll watch it a lot this summer when hockey, basketball, and football are not in season. But baseball has never captured the excitement of those sports for me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's why baseball teams all have huge local contracts. They air a shitload of games with good local ratings.

bigkrev

None of those comparisons mean anything- people are going to watch their local teams over other teams, news at 11. It would have been news if, for example, The Astros had a better rating than the NBA game of Houston vs LA.

pgtl_10

None of those comparisons mean anything- people are going to watch their local teams over other teams, news at 11. It would have been news if, for example, The Astros had a better rating than the NBA game of Houston vs LA.

I highly doubt that would happen outside the Astros in the playoffs.

I agree on a national scale Baseball is dwarfed by football and beaten by basketball.

Fjordson

This doesn't shock me too much. These areas don't have a team left in the NBA playoffs. Probably a lot of people out there who won't watch the NBA until the last few games of the finals.

The only one that might surprise me is:

Even in Cleveland, where baseball has not been kind to fans early in the season, ratings on the local RSN won the day. The Cleveland Indians drew a 4.7 rating on FOX Sports SportsTime Ohio compared to a 4.5/4.1 for the NBA playoffs, a 0.2 for the Mets-Cubs on ESPN, and a 0.1 rating for the NHL Game 7 on NBCSN.

since the Cavaliers are still alive. Unless those two NBA ratings were for non-Cavs games.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
In a sign that baseball continues to be a regional phenomenon, from Cincinnati to Seattle, Boston to Tampa Bay, Baltimore to St. Louis, and more, it was regular season baseball games that crushed all comers in their respective markets over the NBA and NHL playoffs, as well as the nationally televised MLB game on ESPN.

It should be noted that only 1 of these cities has a team in the playoffs and that is Tampa Bay (from a state that doesn't care about professional sports). Still solid numbers for baseball though.

Saganator

I never really understood the mass appeal of baseball. I like baseball, and I'll watch it a lot this summer when hockey, basketball, and football are not in season. But baseball has never captured the excitement of those sports for me.

You gotta play the game to really appreciate it. I love baseball, but I'll admit, it's not the most exciting thing to watch. I played pitcher for about 15 years, so I love watching a good pitcher play no matter what team he's on. I'd bet most baseball fans are similar to me. I'll probably never experience being a pitcher again, outside of slow pitch softball, so the next best thing for me is to watch.

dork

Banned
Good. Baseball is far superior and I wish they would stop trying to "speed it up" . The last 30 seconds of a close basketball game can take the same time as a full inning in baseball.

kris.

Banned
Leading the way was FOX Sports Kansas City who drew a blistering 13.0 rating for the Kansas City Royals game against the Texas Rangers. That FOX Sports KC rating compared to a 1.6 rating for the two NBA playoff games in the market, a 0.5 rating for the Mets-Cubs game, and a 0.1 rating in KC for the dramatic Game 7 in the NHL on NBC Sports Network.

Awh yeah. Baseball is back in KC in a big way.

Maximus.

I don't understand why Hockey is not bigger in the USA. It is fast paced, lots of physicality and skill to get wins or even goals. Right now in the playoffs, there are four great teams playing each other to make it to the finals.

Silver needs to rig the lottery to make sure Lakers and Knicks get the 1st and 2nd picks.
This pleases me as a Knicks fan, but we're good regardless this draft:)

No one should be surprised about anything getting higher ratings than hockey. Basketball is a little surprising.

Not really, Basketball doesn't seem to be that popular in comparison to Baseball and Football.

I tell you what, I'm am honestly surprised that the Yankees are doing so well this year.

I don't understand why Hockey is not bigger in the USA. It is fast paced, lots of physicality and skill to get wins or even goals. Right now in the playoffs, there are four great teams playing each other to make it to the finals.

the bottom half of the US has 0 interest in it

dork

Banned

That's a shame. I love baseball, but playoff hockey is the absolute best. Can't wait for the Rangers-Lightning game tonight. GO BOLTS

As someone who doesn't watch hockey, I agree. Playoff hockey is a riot if you have a team in it. (my team being the hawks because I root for Chicago teams). Its such an exciting sport.

I think hockey isn't big enough because it starts during football season, and nothing is beating football

kris.

Banned

I would watch the living shit out of a KC NHL team, but we don't have one, and I doubt we ever will. Same reason I can't be fucked to care about the NBA, either.

You gotta play the game to really appreciate it. I love baseball, but I'll admit, it's not the most exciting thing to watch. I played pitcher for about 15 years, so I love watching a good pitcher play no matter what team he's on. I'd bet most baseball fans are similar to me. I'll probably never experience being a pitcher again, outside of slow pitch softball, so the next best thing for me is to watch.

I played Baseball all throughout my youth(by far the sport I was best at), and was on all-star teams, invited to tournaments all over the state(pitcher/shortstop), and I still have an incredibly difficult time enjoying it as a spectator sport, or getting invested on any level, at least since Griffey. Weirdly enough, I can get down with those Little League World Series tournaments, albeit in spurts.

(I also played men's softball for a few years, even making it some out of state tournaments a few times, but I've kind of lost interest in recent years)

Tobor

I prefer listening to baseball on the radio over TV. The commentary is so much better. I'll usually listen while playing a video game or even better out on the balcony.

There's nothing like listening to a baseball game on a summer night with a beer. Makes me feel like I'm part of a long tradition.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Meanwhile, the infamous Marlins man is everywhere else but Marlins games!

tb6JqOo.jpg

T1N88P1.jpg

what is this actually showing besides that people watch their own team?

What is the point of the article?

I think it's trying to say a "if baseball is truly as dead as people are saying, other sports currently broadcasting postseason games should have a higher draw than 'meaningless' regular season baseball games" sort of thing. I don't really see that happening outside of the NFL.

pxleyes

Banned

Baseball fans patting themselves on the back, thinking their sport isn't still dying because a bunch of local old folks still watch their games.

My theory is that it's not easy to play as a kid.

Football? A ball and an open area to play. Two kids can just throw the ball around even.
Baseball? A ball and an open area to play. Two kids can just throw the ball around even.
Basketball? A ball, cheap pavement, and hoops. Two kids can play one-on-one.
Soccer? A ball and an open area to play. Two kids can just kick the ball around even.
Hockey? A puck, sticks, nets, an ice arena, and skates. Two kids can just hit the puck around, but not without all that other shit first.

So, to me, it's just hard to get into hockey if you're a middle-to-low income kid, especially in an area that simply doesn't have an ice arena or doesn't get cold enough to freeze over a lake solidly enough in the winter seasons. Then as adults, people watch what they know/played as a kid.

That's my personal theory, anyway.

I'd be interested in a demographic breakdown of these numbers. The NBA has done a horrible job IMO in appealing to audiences of 30+ year olds. It has created an image of a stlye over substance league where big plays are more important than wins and stars are more important than teams.
Add to that the horrible officiating and super star calls and you have an unappealing product, at least for me.

Man. I'm telling you that here in KC, everyone has Royals fever. Like, EVERYONE. Whatever other shows you watch, you DVR them and watch them when the Royals aren't playing. If you go to a bar or a restaurant, it's on TV. If you're driving and you stop at a light, you can hear it on everyone's radio in unison.

Draxal

Kids don't grow up playing it due to lack of facilities, lacrosse is a sports that's very close and is currently blowing up in youth and high schools in the north east/midwest.

Opiate

The point is that people are very narrowly focused on one particular metric to measure a sports' success: national TV ratings.

This is only one aspect of a sports' health, however. Attendance is also important; so is international growth; so is little league / youth sustainability; so are local TV ratings.

MLB is famously weak with national ratings, but is particularly strong in other areas, such as international growth and local TV ratings.

Man. I'm telling you that here in KC, everyone has Royals fever. Like, EVERYONE. Whatever other shows you watch, you DVR them and watch them when the Royals aren't playing. If you go to a bar or a restaurant, it's on TV. If you're driving and you stop at a light, you can hear it on everyone's radio in unison.

If the Royals can keep this numbers up they could shoot for a way bigger TV deal and help sustain their recent success. IIRC they are near the bottom in TV/Radio revenue.

Of course,as a White Sox fan I hope they fade back into obscurity again ;)

pxleyes

Banned
The point is that people are very narrowly focused on one particular metric to measure a sports' success: national TV ratings.

This is only one aspect of a sports' health, however. Attendance is also important; so is international growth; so is little league / youth sustainability; so are local TV ratings.

MLB is famously weak with national ratings, but is particularly strong in other areas, such as international growth and local TV ratings.

CFPMGrYWoAA7n98.jpg

Opiate

As a Cardinals fan, I'm glad to hear it. Obviously our rivalry has been lopsided in recent decades, but it's frankly not very fun to beat up on a team so down. It wasn't fun seeing Kauffman populated significantly if not majoratively by Cardinals fans when we had series against one another.

diehard

Fleer
Uhhh the Cavs just had a had a 29.9 rating in Cleveland.

Why the fuck are they comparing a local rating to a national rating? This is fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom