• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baseball Is Beating The NBA And NHL Playoffs In Local TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The amount of desperate spinning people do to claim Baseball is alive and well is the best evidence that it's not.

What is being shown in Baseball and in NBA is that national TV games aren't capturing the nation's attention. Local games are. The NBA saw an increase in ratings for local broadcasts, while the national broadcasts went down on ESPN and TNT. The NBA League Pass streaming service saw an large increase in viewers. I want to say it was like 15%. I really wish I could find the article with all that info in it. It was really interesting to see these trends go across multiple sports.

And look at how the NFL has no traction outside the US, while baseball does, with a much broader international audience.

Again, strengths and weaknesses.

I'm a German who fell in love with US sports back when I lived in Arkansas.
Around here MLB ~= NFL. I can watch MLB and NFL games on Sport1US (a PayTV channel dedicated to US sports) and I can buy The Show and Madden everywhere.
Soooo I don't think you can call a league/sport "dead" if it is still generating revenue in a country that does have shit to do with it.

gcubed

image.php

The article is positing that Baseball's local deals are, in general, much higher than other sports.
Do you have figures to indicate otherwise?

Listen, i don't care that much about calling baseball dead, it's not. I just think all of the numbers thrown around are ridiculous if you are just using nebulous money. The post read to me like it was trying painstakingly hard to reframe a debate

MLB gets much more money from local than they do from national deal. They get $1.75B from local TV deals. The NBA gets $628M. That basically evens out the overall broadcast deals between the teams, but the NBA gets it for half the amount of games.

Baseball is much more local, yes, they also are more reliant on local broadcasts because of the shear number of games played per year.

Honestly, i'm not sure what we are arguing about here. The only reason I'm still in this thread is that I'm still salty about how shitty the original article is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom