• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

LiK

darkpaladinmfc said:
I've seen videos and the combat looks too easy thanks to counters. Does this change later on? Also, on Hard are there any super annoying frustrating boss battles?

well, when you're surrounded by a ton of goons with certain weapons (like knives and stun rods), it gets way more complicated/tougher and requires a bit more attention. counters don't work on them. the demo gave you the weakest goons so they seem easy.

as for the bosses on Hard, i did not have any problems personally because i learned from playing on Normal first. but many guys said they had problems with Bane on Hard. they are definitely more challenging on Hard.

vazel

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
I've seen videos and the combat looks too easy thanks to counters. Does this change later on? Also, on Hard are there any super annoying frustrating boss battles?
The combat system is simple but it's unbelievably fun stringing together a huge combo on all the baddies without getting hit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
darkpaladinmfc said:

You'll find that the combat is less about countering and more about maintaining a combo. Countering is relatively easy (though it does get tricky when you're surrounded), but you'll find it a bit harder when you encounter certain enemies that can't be countered (mixed in with counterable enemies), and keep your wits about you to keep the combo going.

I got the Perfect Knight and Free Flow Master achievements today, by accident. I wanted to play the first combat challenge for fun before leaving for work. Before I knew it, I worked through all four rounds without getting hit and on one combo.

The last round was amazing; I wish the game saved replays! Scored 24,000+ points -- good enough to hit 9,000 on the leader board. I'm happy with that considering how many people play!

LiK

brendanrfoley said:
I got the Perfect Knight and Free Flow Master achievements today, by accident. I wanted to play the first combat challenge for fun before leaving for work. Before I knew it, I worked through all four rounds without getting hit and on one combo.

The last round was amazing; I wish the game saved replays! Scored 24,000+ points -- good enough to hit 9,000 on the leader board. I'm happy with that considering how many people play!

yea, such a bummer that it wasn't included. would be nice to d/l people's replays to see their methods.

MC Safety

I have to say Arkham Asylum is a really great game. It's far and away the best Batman game.

Best of all, it doesn't overthink things, which is really easy to do considering Batman as a character is a combination of street-fighter, superhero, and detective.

I loved the physical puzzles and all the associated minutiae: The Riddler challenges, the Arkham and patient files, etc.

My only complaint is that, as with Ghostbusters, Arkham Aslyum relied too heavily on finding clues via an "alternate view" mode. Detective mode wasn't as obtrusive as the spectral view stuff in Ghostbusters, but it is annoying to have to switch back and forth, and also to lose some of the graphical finery for a more specialized look.

netguy503

MC Safety said:
I have to say Arkham Asylum is a really great game. It's far and away the best Batman game.

Best of all, it doesn't overthink things, which is really easy to do considering Batman as a character is a combination of street-fighter, superhero, and detective.

I loved the physical puzzles and all the associated minutiae: The Riddler challenges, the Arkham and patient files, etc.

My only complaint is that, as with Ghostbusters, Arkham Aslyum relied too heavily on finding clues via an "alternate view" mode. Detective mode wasn't as obtrusive as the spectral view stuff in Ghostbusters, but it is annoying to have to switch back and forth, and also to lose some of the graphical finery for a more specialized look.

Agreed. They created a great looking game but MORE than half the time you can't see it because your in detective mode. :D :lol

netguy503

brendanrfoley said:

You can get the Perfect Knight just by completing one challenge room?!?

Just fiinished it and all I gotta say is wow. What a great fucking game. I'm definitely not a fan of Batman or superhero games in general and my interest in this going into it was sub-zero (even after playing the demo) but as the game progressed I totally got caught up in the world. By far the best game I've played all year and imo it's one of the most graphically impressive games I've seen so far this generation (yeah, even beating Killzone at times).

Really good stuff.

RavenHawk

Cheech said:
Has anyone else gotten a corrupted save? I'm usually careful about hitting start, then quitting out of my session, THEN turning the XBox off. This time, though, I just waited for the little "circle save" to finish, shut the Xbox off, and BAM. My save showed up as corrupted the next time I fired it up.

Sucks, because I was almost done with the game. However, I'm really not minding going through it again. I do need to figure out how to detonate the walls that are like halfway up a wall, though. I'm sure there's an easy way to do it.

It happened to me last night during the 2nd phase of
Ivy's boss battle
. Pissed me off totally as I was on hard difficulty.

RBH

Is it recommended to install the 360 version to the hard drive, or do any problems come up when it's installed?

Hyunkel6

RBH said:
Is it recommended to install the 360 version to the hard drive, or do any problems come up when it's installed?

Only thing I noticed was a slight decrease in loading times for the challenges.

LiK

RBH said:

i had it installed. ZERO problems and loading was ultra fast from room to room. i didn't get the same loading delays like with the PS3 version.

vazel

Banned
netguy503 said:
Agreed. They created a great looking game but MORE than half the time you can't see it because your in detective mode. :D :lol
I quickly enabled and disabled detective mode as needed. Can't believe some of you are going extended periods of time with it on it would give me a headache.

stuminus3

I still can't get over how great this game is. I'm close to the end now, and I'm finding that I'm pushing myself to rush to the finish... but not for the regular reason of being bored with it and just wanting to check it off my list... I want to be finished so I can start all over again! That never happens with me. It's really that good.

LiK

vazel said:
I quickly enabled and disabled detective mode as needed. Can't believe some of you are going extended periods of time with it on it would give me a headache.

i turned it off while i was backtracking. the game is really lovely. hope they make detective mode in the next game feel more integrated with the exisiting world. like have all the stats/graphics and x-ray show up without color tints.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the insane scores on Rumbe are caused by a glitch that freezes a titan in place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUn-RFoJb4

There is also an exploit on that level that you can use anytime. When a titan is down for the count, a punch combo is needed to finish him off completely. You can however do a running kick on him (run towards him and hit X), get points for it and not kill him. You can continue doing this forever. You get very little points for this though, but it can be useful for people who fell short a few points at the end of the challenge and want to get it over with :p

LiK

Darunia said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the insane scores on Rumbe are caused by a glitch that freezes a titan in place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUn-RFoJb4

There is also an exploit on that level that you can use anytime. When a titan is down for the count, a punch combo is needed to finish him off completely. You can however do a running kick on him (run towards him and hit X), get points for it and not kill him. You can continue doing this forever. You get very little points for this though, but it can be useful for people who fell short a few points at the end of the challenge and want to get it over with :p

nice find. i wish there was an exploit for Shock and Awe :D

Minamu

The only time I found countering to be hard was when I ALWAYS wanted to get one tiny little extra punch in on a guy before countering the guy behind. I fail at this 9 times out of 10 but I still go for it :lol Extra annoying in challenge rooms when surrounded by 8 guys & I try to get 1 punch in between each guy & they keep hitting me xD *punched in the face, try to punch that guy, gets punched again from behind, try to retaliate, repeat 6 times before rage quitting :lol *

Ephemeris

Darunia said:

Oh snap :lol

McLovin

Holy shit that joker dlc is awesome. I like how they gave him all custom moves.. his kick is a little awkward but its still pretty funny.

witness

McLovin said:
Holy shit that joker dlc is awesome. I like how they gave him all custom moves.. his kick is a little awkward but its still pretty funny.

I love the music they play during his combat challenges :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darunia said:

I'm more impressed by the fact that the multiplier count goes 3 digit despite it being impossible to perform an over 99 hits combo (I assume).

Picked this game up from Walmart for $38. So far it's pretty awesome. Bit of a moronic question, but how does one save their game before quitting out? I've only quit out and started up twice and it seems to start me back up at a checkpoint earlier then I thought it would.

LiK

SystemShark said:
Picked this game up from Walmart for $38. So far it's pretty awesome. Bit of a moronic question, but how does one save their game before quitting out? I've only quit out and started up twice and it seems to start me back up at a checkpoint earlier then I thought it would.

look at swirling circle on lower right corner. that's when it's saving. if you're not sure, just enter and exit an area through a door and it'll autosave.

BKXB

Economist
Ugh, I have 2 stars in each Shock and Awe, and Rumble in the Jungle left to tackle.

3 stars (batarangs!) in every challenge. I hate how even doing a normal strike against those knife-wielding fuckers ruins my combo.

LiK

BKXB said:
Ugh, I have 2 stars in each Shock and Awe, and Rumble in the Jungle left to tackle.

3 stars (batarangs!) in every challenge. I hate how even doing a normal strike against those knife-wielding fuckers ruins my combo.

i do an instant takedown on them asap when i get to 5 combos now. i gave up trying to stun them cuz the risk is too much if i happen to punch them by accident when they're not stunned. works wonders.

RavenFox

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Just fiinished it and all I gotta say is wow. What a great fucking game. I'm definitely not a fan of Batman or superhero games in general and my interest in this going into it was sub-zero (even after playing the demo) but as the game progressed I totally got caught up in the world. By far the best game I've played all year and imo it's one of the most graphically impressive games I've seen so far this generation (yeah, even beating Killzone at times).

Really good stuff.
Agree with your post but nothing in the game beat Killzone graphically. Great game but lose the goggles.

Kard8p3

This topic should never be allowed to reach the fourth page (at least not this early.) Post more about how you love the game and convince others to join us.

RPS37

This game continues to impress. I finished
rescuing the doctors
and was going to quit. Then I started on the
Scarecrow
section and couldn't stop.
I felt the same way I felt when I played BioShock and Deap Space.
Pretty creeped out and uneasy, but I can't put the controller down because it's too good.

And this time I'm Batman.

Dave1988

TTP said:
I'm more impressed by the fact that the multiplier count goes 3 digit despite it being impossible to perform an over 99 hits combo (I assume).

Sewer Bat (Extreme) would like to disagree with you.

hamchan

Farewell fellow Batman lovers for I now have 1000/1000 achievement points and have no more reason to be here. This is the first time I have ever 100% completed a game and may very well be my last.... until the sequel (or DLC)!

RPS37 said:
This game continues to impress. I finished
rescuing the doctors
and was going to quit. Then I started on the
Scarecrow
section and couldn't stop.

I liked the game before this moment a lot. After it, I loved it. The part in the
morgue
is just incredible.

LiK

brendanrfoley said:
I liked the game before this moment a lot. After it, I loved it. The part in the
morgue
is just incredible.

it's pretty badass with surround sound. i was just walking around letting him try and scare me to enjoy the effect, hehe.

xinoart

Banned
SystemShark said:

Hmm...was it on sale or something? What version? That's a steep price cut when it just came out. Some explainations please :D

MDSLKTR

xinoart said:
Some explainations please :D

Canadian price everywhere for the first 3 days when it came out.
I enjoy the game, but i know that the collectathon will ruin my enjoyment (i have ocd when it comes to those things), so i'd rather do it on my first playtrough. Right now i'm in the
botanical garden
. Am i still far from the end?
And does the game end after the credits or can i run around like in infamous?

Well I too am working on Shock and Awe (Extreme). My last for three stars\batarangs across the board.

I even got over 30k twice and the damn time ran out on me. Grrrr. I can only attempt that one a couple times before rage quit ensues.

Finally tried the 360 Scarecrow Dem Bones level. Pretty cool.

I wish the challenge rooms would reload faster (ie- no reload screen and no beginning transition animation). I know it's a minor gripe but it makes going for a higher score such a pain in the ass.

Hot damn, I am loving this game. I was finding the combat system a little frustrating; I knew how to do things properly, I just couldn't do them. It seems something has clicked, though, because after finally managing to do all nine moves in one combo it seems I can't not do it any more. I'm pulling massive combos out of nowhere to Three 'Rang Combat missions in Round 4:lol

I've just been invited to the Party and, since I seem to have been given the run of the island, I'm trying to solve all the riddles. I'm at 227/240, but I think I might be mildly boned. Y'know that room in the Penitentiary where Harley is hanging the two guards over electrified water and you have to Cryptographic Sequencer two things to free them and then dash out before she fills the room with Joker gas? Well, I have a Riddler Trophy and a riddle that needs solving in there, but I can't figure out how to turn the gas off. I'm hoping I'm missing something really simple and I didn't miss my only chance to get them.

witness

matrix-cat said:
Y'know that room in the Penitentiary where Harley is hanging the two guards over electrified water and you have you Cryptographic Sequencer two things to free them and then dash out before she fills the room with Joker gas? Well, I have a Riddler Trophy and a riddle that needs solving in there, but I can't figure out how to turn the gas off. I'm hoping I'm missing something really simple and I didn't miss my only chance to get them.

There's a room to the left of the entrance of the gas room, where the guards are now at that you saved, above them is another level that allows you to blow a wall out to get into the room.

Raxus

matrix-cat said:
Hot damn, I am loving this game. I was finding the combat system a little frustrating; I knew how to do things properly, I just couldn't do them. It seems something has clicked, though, because after finally managing to do all nine moves in one combo it seems I can't not do it any more. I'm pulling massive combos out of nowhere to Three 'Rang Combat missions in Round 4:lol

I've just been invited to the Party and, since I seem to have been given the run of the island, I'm trying to solve all the riddles. I'm at 227/240, I think, but I think I might be mildly boned. Y'know that room in the Penitentiary where Harley is hanging the two guards over electrified water and you have you Cryptographic Sequencer two things to free them and then dash out before she fills the room with Joker gas? Well, I have a Riddler Trophy and a riddle that needs solving in there, but I can't figure out how to turn the gas off. I'm hoping I'm missing something really simple and I didn't miss my only chance to get them.
Go to where the guards are trying to turn off the gas. Grapple up to a vent above and you should see a destructible wall, blow it up, you should see another wall across from that the ultra bat claw can take down. The switch to turn on the vents should be there.

Cardon

MDSLKTR said:
Right now i'm in the
botanical garden
. Am i still far from the end?
And does the game end after the credits or can i run around like in infamous?

You have about 2 to 3 hours left in the game depending on how fast you complete certain scenarios.

And yes, the game does allow you to run around Arkham once you've completed the story like in Infamous.

Top Bottom