• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

netguy503

kingslunk said:
I should probably pick this up. I'll probably wait for the price cut for it to drop to $19.99 before I pick it up.

$20? Really? You should be stoned by the GAF mob? It is a GREAT game and if you don't give the developer support we wont get a sequel or added story DLC.

And hate to break it to you guys but that news item only points to two free DLC's. Hmm, what two items do people people who own the CE have that you don't have and what could a company throw at us with such a quick turn around from the game launching? It looks like you guys are just going to get Dem Bones and Crime Alley challenge maps and that us CE people will get no new content this month unfortunately. I dunno, it makes the best business sense and this is too close to release to have something new already.

Also, it is strange that they say the second DLC is PS3 only. That has me VERY interested.

ethelred

netguy503 said:
$20? Really? You should be stoned by the GAF mob?

I got the game for 30$ on launch day and I'm thrilled I was able to get it at that price without waiting. If it hadn't been for the multitude of sales being offered, I doubt I would've gotten the game straight away, even though I really enjoyed the demo, because I wouldn't have wanted to pay 60$ for it.

And now that I'm finished, as much as I loved the game... I'm glad I didn't pay full price. It's not terribly long, and once you get all the riddles, there's nothing more to do in the main game (I don't find the challenge rooms particularly fun, and given how frustrating people act like they are, it sounds like a lot of other people don't enjoy the combat ones either but just want the gamerscore). It's a great game, but not a 60$ game. Console game prices kind of suck this gen.

netguy503 said:
It is a GREAT game and if you don't give the developer support we wont get a sequel or added story DLC.

It is a great game, but give me a break. This isn't some kind of cult niche game where internet fans need to hawk it to anyone who'll listen in order to ensure it breaks its one thousandth sale so that the penny pinching dev team can string out life for a few more months, just long enough to make a sequel. The game is surely selling great, it'll continue to sell great, and they're likely already in preproduction on a sequel. That's not all going to crumble because one dude decided to hold off for a price drop!

The Blue Jihad said:
I can't seem to break 40:22 in Silent Knight. Likewise 1:30 in Record Breaking.

Any advice? heh

OK I'll give you some advice. Run and zip up and switch to your sonic boomerang. Take down the first goon with a silent takedown, then hit the goon standing by the wall with the sonic boomerang. Zip up the gargogyle and wait for the third thug to appear and boomerang him and ground takedown. Zip up and spray the wall, detonate, boom, challenge over.

Extra tip, think about where you are wasting time, and how you can cut this down. Be creative.

Arnie

Just started this game after reading GAF's preomising impressions. You did not dissapoint GAF, such a great game so far. Just reached the Bat Cave and I'm itching to play more.

kingslunk

netguy503 said:
$20? Really? You should be stoned by the GAF mob? It is a GREAT game and if you don't give the developer support we wont get a sequel or added story DLC.

And hate to break it to you guys but that news item only points to two free DLC's. Hmm, what two items do people people who own the CE have that you don't have and what could a company throw at us with such a quick turn around from the game launching? It looks like you guys are just going to get Dem Bones and Crime Alley challenge maps and that us CE people will get no new content this month unfortunately. I dunno, it makes the best business sense and this is too close to release to have something new already.

Also, it is strange that they say the second DLC is PS3 only. That has me VERY interested.

I would probably pick it up but I'm currently real short on cash. As for a sequel I think it would be way more interesting if they did a different comic book instead of making more batman.

netguy503

The thing I'm worried about is (as the last page said from a conference) a developer was asked about a sequel which he confirmed was coming but was then asked about Robin to which he just smiled. I don't want to wait two years (probably how long we will have to wait to get at least a decent sequel even if they are on pre production of it now) to get a Batman AND Robin game. Unless the story/scenarios they come up with are REALLY good. And I mean REALLY GOOD.

Rocksteady may be shooting themselves in the foot with this one. Please reconsider. :(

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
kingslunk said:
I should probably pick this up. I'll probably wait for the price cut to drop it down to $19.99 before I pick it up.

If you can afford to get it now you really should. It really is worth it.

LiK

loving the combat challenges. got Gold in Rumble in the Jungle on my first try. so much fun, i can replay them over and over again. Batman is so stylish :D

Vilix said:
If you can afford to get it now you really should. It really is worth it.

nah, let him wait. i wanna see him bump this thread and praise its awesomeness when he's LTTP. ;)

rareside

Loved this game, came out of nowhere for me...

Only complaint is the end came far too fast. I was expecting Joker's "party" to have more than just that final battle. I did enjoy the bit with the invite list and walking past all the thugs to get there though.

Luigi87

Ah, finally got my Platinum trophy.
Shock & Awe Extreme was brutal for that time. So many times I'd get over 30k, but the clock just kept timing out. Eventually got it, and did a ground pound to the last guy just as the floor flickered on.

On PS3's Silent Knight, I used to be 4th, and now am in 7th (last I checked) =(

rareside said:
Loved this game, came out of nowhere for me...

Only complaint is the end came far too fast. I was expecting Joker's "party" to have more than just that final battle. I did enjoy the bit with the invite list and walking past all the thugs to get there though.

Walked pass it? Yeah... you missed a trophy...

vazel

Banned
netguy503 said:
HELP ME GAF!!!!

I'm missing some teeth in Arkham Mansion? Where will I find them. Quick responses appreciated please.
For me the ones I missed were on the second floor of warden's office.

vazel

Banned
Oh come on just swing the camera around until you find the spot to grapple from. You should've heard the teeth from the first floor which from then should have figured out the rest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Look up in the area by the entrance (of the wardens office), you can use the batclaw to grapple up to a small 2nd floor area. They were the last I found, normally you wouldn't ever have to go up in that area.

Turfster

Snuggler said:
Look up in the area by the entrance (of the wardens office), you can use the batclaw to grapple up to a small 2nd floor area. They were the last I found, normally you wouldn't ever have to go up in that area.
I actually immediately went up there trying to
take out Zasz from above when he holds Dr. Young hostage, because it HAD to be something stealthy, right? This resulted in a failed rescue the first time, of course.

Just finished my third time through which was on Hard. All I have left is Challenge Mode achievements. I've 3-starred the first three or four combat challenges and the first three predator. We'll see how the extreme stuff goes.

Kard8p3

ToyMachine228 said:
Just finished my third time through which was on Hard. All I have left is Challenge Mode achievements. I've 3-starred the first three or four combat challenges and the first three predator. We'll see how the extreme stuff goes.

The extreme stuff (particularly shock and awe) can be incredibly annoying. Keep trying though and you'll get it.

thechemist

I completed this yesterday, brilliant game. I got all 240 riddles
I liked the bit when u solved all the riddles and police got the riddler
and I also solved the arkham spirit quest
I didnt expect the warden to be the spirit
, these two things really added to the game. I loved the attention to detail
batmans suit degrading throughout the game and the stubble appearing
now i gotta beat the challenge rooms and iam rubbish at combat lol.

deepbrown

Snuggler said:
Yep, got my last three there :D

Woohoo! 1000/1000 baby. Shock and Awe Extreme kicked my ass for days, but I finally conquered them all...

Scarecrow was the best thing about that game - especially the third encounter. The screen flickers out - the game restarts - "Batman may be escaping patients" - "Use the middle stick to dodge Joker's gunfire." That's some serious Eternal Darkness shit right there.

Level 8 Boss said:
OK I'll give you some advice. Run and zip up and switch to your sonic boomerang. Take down the first goon with a silent takedown, then hit the goon standing by the wall with the sonic boomerang. Zip up the gargogyle and wait for the third thug to appear and boomerang him and ground takedown. Zip up and spray the wall, detonate, boom, challenge over.

Extra tip, think about where you are wasting time, and how you can cut this down. Be creative.

Thanks. Good to know I have at least the basic strategy correct. All it needs now is refinement. I know I spend too much time aiming around on the middle-left gargoyle...

LiK

cjdunn said:
Five combat medals and Freeflow Perfection to go!

Edit: Oh wait, I also have to play it through on Hard. :lol

Hard shouldn't take you too long. the Bane fight was overrated. i had no trouble with it or any of the other boss fights.

Baker

Banned
Is there some easy way to do that challenge map objective for "take out 3 enemies with 3 separate wall explosions?" I get so bored sitting around trying to get them to line up and then of course one of them will always accidentally set off the proximity explosion.

I'm assuming the two easiest ones are the wall behind the guy that stands in the far corner and usually doesn't move, and the ceiling above where you spawn since guys walk in there every once in awhile. All the other spots I see are floor pieces though.

Baker said:
Is there some easy way to do that challenge map objective for "take out 3 enemies with 3 separate wall explosions?" I get so bored sitting around trying to get them to line up and then of course one of them will always accidentally set off the proximity explosion.

I'm assuming the two easiest ones are the wall behind the guy that stands in the far corner and usually doesn't move, and the ceiling above where you spawn since guys walk in there every once in awhile. All the other spots I see are floor pieces though.

Behind where you spawn there is a grate that'll take you to another wall section you can rig up. Then it's just a matter of using a sonic batarang to get a guard to walk in front of it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Baker said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDE8bergd_s

Baker said:

Run forward, quick turn to the right, then the left. Climb up on the bench, put gel on the ceiling/floor above you. Turn around and go back, then grapple up to the very top above where you started. There will be a grate high in the wall with a little room right below it. You want to get on top of that room. The ceiling of that room is weak; put gel on that ceiling. You now want to zip-line long-ways across the map (do not cross the center walkway; zip-line parallel to the walkway). You should hit the wall and fall down right behind another weak wall with a henchman standing on the other side. Put your last explosive gel on that wall.

Do this quickly. Detonate your gel at 1:12. Smile.

Baker

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Behind where you spawn there is a grate that'll take you to another wall section you can rig up. Then it's just a matter of using a sonic batarang to get a guard to walk in front of it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Run forward, quick turn to the right, then the left. Climb up on the bench, put gel on the ceiling/floor above you. Turn around and go back, then grapple up to the very top above where you started. There will be a grate high in the wall with a little room right below it. You want to get on top of that room. The ceiling of that room is weak; put gel on that ceiling. You now want to zip-line long-ways across the map (do not cross the center walkway; zip-line parallel to the walkway). You should hit the wall and fall down right behind another weak wall with a henchman standing on the other side. Put your last explosive gel on that wall.

Do this quickly. Detonate your gel at 1:12. Smile.
WHAT THE FUCK you can spray gel above you??? That would have been a nice thing to know! Haha.

Thanks for the help. I'm watching that youtube clip now.

Baker said:
WHAT THE FUCK you can spray gel above you??? That would have been a nice thing to know! Haha.

Thanks for the help. I'm watching that youtube clip now.

The clip follows the same strategy I suggested; it'll be easier to watch it than try to decipher my ramblings. But perhaps spraying the ceiling was the last hurdle you needed to get over.

Baker

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
The clip follows the same strategy I suggested; it'll be easier to watch it than try to decipher my ramblings. But perhaps spraying the ceiling was the last hurdle you needed to get over.
It is because then the guy walking over won't set off the proximity bomb. That's exactly how I was setting it up, just with the gel on top instead of below.

Kydd BlaZe

Just finished this the other day. Awesome game that seemed to come out of nowhere. Without a dout, this is GOTY so far. Will probably be eclipsed by MW2 or Uncharted 2, though. Still, and incredible sleeper hit nonetheless.

I wonder how well this game is doing, though. I don't really remember seeing much of a marketing campagin for this, so I hope word of mouth is enough to drive sales. I definitely want to see a sequel somewhere down the road.

I also wonder what this "Secret Project" is, that Rocksteady is currently working on. I doubt it's Batman 2, though.

Well, I beat it last night. This game is an incredible experience!

I started my second play-through this morning. This time, I'll find everything!

slider

This just turned up. For the first time ever I've encountered exclusive content (PS3 version). Hmm, not sure how I feel about it... Exclusive play as the Joker Challenge Maps. Also got these "postcard" things inside the box. Again, first time I've ever encountered extra goodies. Similarly not sure how I feel about that. I've never bought a CE.

Anyway, about to dive in. Hope there's more to it than the combat which didn't do it for me based on the demo.

Finally hit 1000/1000! After hours of frusturation in the combat challenges. Getting the Freeflow Perfection and Perfect Knight achievements was so satisfying. Fantastic game, GOTY (so far) for me.

I've been holding out for the PC version which comes out soon. But first I have a few questions. Firstly, I have got a Sixaxis controller working on my PC fine, but I can't get the Batman Arkham Asylum demo to utilise it, I have read a few people got it working but they didn't say how, help on this matter would be appreciated. Also, how hard is this game on Nomral and Hard? I want a challenge, but I don't want it to be frustrating and be stuck on one boss/section for a while.

LiK

darkpaladinmfc said:
I've been holding out for the PC version which comes out soon. But first I have a few questions. Firstly, I have got a Sixaxis controller working on my PC fine, but I can't get the Batman Arkham Asylum demo to utilise it, I have read a few people got it working but they didn't say how, help on this matter would be appreciated. Also, how hard is this game on Nomral and Hard? I want a challenge, but I don't want it to be frustrating and be stuck on one boss/section for a while.

better to play on Normal first to understand counters. in Hard, there is no counter symbol on the top of the heads of the goons. you have to judge it by their animations instead. you'll also take more damage and enemies take longer to knock out. that's the major difference from what i can tell.

LiK said:
better to play on Normal first to understand counters. in Hard, there is no counter symbol on the top of the heads of the goons. you have to judge it by their animations instead. you'll also take more damage and enemies take longer to knock out. that's the major difference from what i can tell.
I've seen videos and the combat looks too easy thanks to counters. Does this change later on? Also, on Hard are there any super annoying frustrating boss battles?

Top Bottom