• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man oh fuckign man, this game is amazing.

Last generation, I was a frequent gamer, a regular on these forums, but this generation of gaming brought me a lot of a issues that prevented me from going balls deep (AKA buying) on a lot of games. Of the games I've bought, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise, GTAIV, Prince of Persia, and L4d, they all had their one major issue, something really lacking that left an otherwise great experience soured. There was just a special quality to all of them that was missing, that extra polish, that oomph (although L4D delivered this totally multiplayer wise for the most part) that makes you feel good you bought the game. It hadn't a lot in the previous generation, but with this one, I dunno if it's because I'm older or what, but I haven't really been getting that often, if at all.

This game delivers the goods. It has that notable polish, that distinct flair of strutting it's shit and knowing it's worth. You really ARE Batman! Every characteristics of Batman has it's place here. The detective work, the fighting (of course Batman can take up to 3 guys, no problem. He's the goddamned batman! Of course he'd use the environment to scare his enemies and pick them off one by one). Everything about this game just makes sense. The combat is simple (3 buttons? for real?) but that because you're tackling upwards of 5 guys at a time. Batman ain't thinking about what button to push, he's too busy WHOOPIN' ASS.

the platforming is great. the scarecrow levels are NUTZ. OMFG. the detective scan is almost too helpful, but keeping it on all the time is better than having some bullshit excuse to have the game take it from me when I shouldn't be using it. Clue tracking is great. I've never played a game where backtracking felt exciting. The design of Arkham is just nuts. It makes sense. It's fun to explore. I rarely ever get lost.

Character design is great. The detail on Joker's face is superb.

I'm rambling, doing a stream of conscious thing here, so I'll slow up. I stopped at the bit where
you finally track the Joker down at the Botanical Gardens and he turns the electricity on in that room and you gotta find the box to turn off the electricity so you can cross the room
. This game is so engrossing, I have to take a break every once in a while. It's intense being Batman. Absorbing every detail is so easy, satisfying, whole. Man, this game is fucking great. I'm done for now, I've gotta settle my thoughts.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
murtaugh.jpg

oh and I agree, fuck ign

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Last generation, I was a frequent gamer, a regular on these forums, but this generation of gaming brought me a lot of a issues that prevented me from going balls deep (AKA buying) on a lot of games. Of the games I've bought, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise, GTAIV, Prince of Persia, and L4d, they all had their one major issue, something really lacking that left an otherwise great experience soured. There was just a special quality to all of them that was missing, that extra polish, that oomph (although L4D delivered this totally multiplayer wise for the most part) that makes you feel good you bought the game. It hadn't a lot in the previous generation, but with this one, I dunno if it's because I'm older or what, but I haven't really been getting that often, if at all.

This game delivers the goods. It has that notable polish, that distinct flair of strutting it's shit and knowing it's worth. You really ARE Batman! Every characteristics of Batman has it's place here. The detective work, the fighting (of course Batman can take up to 3 guys, no problem. He's the goddamned batman! Of course he'd use the environment to scare his enemies and pick them off one by one). Everything about this game just makes sense. The combat is simple (3 buttons? for real?) but that because you're tackling upwards of 5 guys at a time. Batman ain't thinking about what button to push, he's too busy WHOOPIN' ASS.

the platforming is great. the scarecrow levels are NUTZ. OMFG. the detective scan is almost too helpful, but keeping it on all the time is better than having some bullshit excuse to have the game take it from me when I shouldn't be using it. Clue tracking is great. I've never played a game where backtracking felt exciting. The design of Arkham is just nuts. It makes sense. It's fun to explore. I rarely ever get lost.

I'm rambling, doing a stream of conscious thing here, so I'll slow up. I stopped at the bit where
you finally track the Joker down at the Botanical Gardens and he turns the electricity on in that room and you gotta find the box to turn off the electricity so you can cross the room
. This game is so engrossing, I have to take a break every once in a while. It's intense being Batman. Absorbing every detail is so easy, satisfying, whole. Man, this game is fucking great. I'm done for now, I've gotta settle my thoughts.

This man speaks the truth. Rocksteady has pretty much achieved what John Romero couldn't.

Turfster

Still playing steadily and loving (almost) every minute of it.
Only one disappointing section until now:
the wooden walkways 'maze' in Croc's lair.
It was dragged out way too long + the buggiest part of the game until now, for some reason.
I spent 5 minutes standing still while Croc kept popping up from under the same piece of wood, after which I'd hit him, he'd splash into the water and immediately pop back up

After I beat the game can I go back and do all the Riddler Challenges I've missed, if not when is the 'point of no return' so I when I play I know when to stop and go get all the collectibles.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
darkpaladinmfc said:
After I beat the game can I go back and do all the Riddler Challenges I've missed, if not when is the 'point of no return' so I when I play I know when to stop and go get all the collectibles.

Go ahead and finish it. You'll be able to get all the collectibles later without having to start a new game.

Beat it last night and I'm still kind of in awe of how awesome it was. Rocksteady really built the game ground up around Batman and that makes it feel so awesome that every other company making a licensed game at the moment should take nots at how this game gives you everything you've ever loved about Batman on a disc.

The combat felt too simple to me at first as a Ninja Gaiden fanatic but after a while I started to realise that I've never felt so agile in an third person action game and so aware of what tactics I should use against different enemies and had it feel so smooth to attack an enemy in any location in a room. This game took what Too Human was trying to do with its stick based combat and made it work.

Loved the fact that the game made you actually have to live up to Batman's great detective moniker and really had moments that made you have to think.

Loved the overall story and how well the different enemies were used (apart from the wasting of Bane but no media has used him well since his introduction in the Knightfall arc). Scarecrow's sections were all really inventive and though it would have been awesome if they'd
made one of them first person like the bit in Joker's fun house, that was a really creepy moment
. The Killer Croc sequence was a cool adrenaline rush and kept you on edge at all times.

Overall its a Batman fan's dream come true but also an impressive game overall, trying to get one of my Batman hating friends to play it at the moment :)

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
My PC version just despatched. Can't believe I managed to hold out and not buy the console version amidst all this glowing praise. :lol

Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. :D

wouwie

Damn, still waiting for my copy to arrive from Play.com. It must be coming from their bulgary warehouse as it's taking ages :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of this game? Which is better?
ps3 version has additional content, I believe

god damn it!
i'm missing 3 medals from the combat challenges to get a platinum.
one from shock and awe, one from shock and awe extreme and another from rumble in the jungle extreme.
this is really driving me nuts especially because i'm missing less than 5000 points in each one.
any good tips you guys might have for me?:D

Jirotrom

Great King Bowser said:
My PC version just despatched. Can't believe I managed to hold out and not buy the console version amidst all this glowing praise. :lol

Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. :D
pc version is better and cheaper anyhow lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it doesn't have the bonus Joker challenges, but it does have, if it's any consolation, Phys-X implementation.

I'm holding out for the PC version, personally. It's out in about a week, I think.

Cat in the Hat said:
Doesn't make the wait any easier though. I want to play so bad.
Yeah, the general excitement surrounding this game is at the point where it's pretty much impossible to avoid. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Peff

On it's on PC? Does it have all the PS3 stuff?

Nope, but the PS3 stuff is not such a big deal, it's just special rooms where you control the Joker. If you have a good PC I'd say cheaper+mods (there's some pretty cool modded costumes out there)+better graphics are more attractive.

duckroll

I guess I'll hold off and make up my mind later. Don't need a new game right now, and I just noticed the PC version is only up on Steam on the 19th. Oh well. I'll play this someday!

Poona

duckroll said:
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of this game? Which is better?

I haven't played the full game on the PS3, but with regards to the demo the 360 version looked better to me.

Though the PS3 you can play as the Joker in the challenge rooms as it is available as a free download.

LiK

duckroll said:

the PS3 had way more stuttering during the intro segment and it took much longer to load rooms if you were running back and forth while backtracking (particularly noticable in the Penitentiary area cuz i even got "Door Loading..." text!). i'm not sure why these problems occurred even tho the PS3 required an install.

i had the 360 version installed and it was smooth all the way through. i just started replaying the 360 on Hard and i can confirm that the whole intro segment was completely smooth, unlike the PS3 version. no loading issues for rooms either.

if you want the Joker Exclusive challenges, the PS3 is the way to go. but the 360 version performance was better, imo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
duckroll said:
I guess I'll hold off and make up my mind later. Don't need a new game right now, and I just noticed the PC version is only up on Steam on the 19th. Oh well. I'll play this someday!
15th, 15th! (along with Zuma's revenge, WOOOOO pc gaming)

equap

Banned
I need to destroy 3 more Joker's laughing mouths but i can't see them....i can hear them but don't see them in the room. what the hell?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
So glad I succumb to the hype and finally got this game. Definitely agree with whoever called it Batman+Bioshock+Metriod Prime.

Just came to my first real frustrating, difficult part. The first combat room where the
gargoyles are rigged with explosives
. Guess I relied too much on using those exclusively in previous rooms that I don't have other skills to compensate.

Zeliard

schennmu said:
This man speaks the truth. Rocksteady has pretty much achieved what John Romero couldn't.

John Romero played a big hand in the development of Quake 1, which is better than any game that has ever been made.

This is the first game I've played where I've felt compelled to start a new playthrough the very moment I got back to the menu screen after the credits. I'm up to the two Titan room on Hard, going to try and get the Mano-a-mano Trophy tomorrow. I'm not really looking forward to Three 'Ranging Shock and Awe Extreme, but nothing's going to stop me from Platinuming this cool customer.

Turfster

tadcalabash said:
Just came to my first real frustrating, difficult part. The first combat room where the
gargoyles are rigged with explosives
. Guess I relied too much on using those exclusively in previous rooms that I don't have other skills to compensate.
I had some trouble with that the first few times too.
I eventually solved it by
not fighting anyone at all, just luring them away and opening the doors
, which was pretty awesome.

LiK

funny, just beat it on the 360 on Hard in 5 hours. i skipped a lot of the riddles just to get the achievement. speed run babee. :p

Pimpbaa

LiK said:
the PS3 had way more stuttering during the intro segment and it took much longer to load rooms if you were running back and forth while backtracking (particularly noticable in the Penitentiary area cuz i even got "Door Loading..." text!). i'm not sure why these problems occurred even tho the PS3 required an install.

i had the 360 version installed and it was smooth all the way through. i just started replaying the 360 on Hard and i can confirm that the whole intro segment was completely smooth, unlike the PS3 version. no loading issues for rooms either.

if you want the Joker Exclusive challenges, the PS3 is the way to go. but the 360 version performance was better, imo.

I never had such issues playing it on my PS3.

RavenFox

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:

Breathe brother and Amen.

LiK

Pimpbaa said:
I never had such issues playing it on my PS3.

well, i'm not the only one who experienced the stutter during the intro for the PS3 so i'm not alone. and it doesn't stutter the whole way through. just in parts during the in-game cutscenes. ex: rewatch the part where they first introduce Gordon.

RavenFox

Banned
LiK said:

Ive had none of those issues you speak of and I've played the PS3 version.
LiK said:
well, i'm not the only one who experienced the stutter during the intro for the PS3 so i'm not alone. and it doesn't stutter the whole way through. just in parts during the in-game cutscenes. ex: rewatch the part where they first introduce Gordon.
Uhmm no

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I notice the issues Lik mentioned. I was actually surprised about the intro cos it's perfectly smooth in the demo.

The doors thing is very rare tho. U do really have to want it to happen for it to happen (does this make any sense?).

LiK

TTP said:
I notice the issues Lik mentioned. I was actually surprised about the intro cos it's perfectly smooth in the demo.

The doors thing is very rare tho. U do really have to want it happen for it to happen (does this make any sense?).

well, i'm playing on a launch 60GB PS3. maybe the older hardware isn't performing as well as the other folks here who have their newer models.

as for the doors, in the Penitentiary section, you know how those doors will scan you and then open up? well, the scan might take more than 5 seconds or the door might be stuck in some pulsing animation before it opens waiting to load out. it seems to happen if i RUN alot back and forth. the loading seems to be hidden if you walk. try it out dudes.

maybe i'll record a video to show you guys what i mean but since i got Platinum, i uninstalled the game already.

vermadas

LiK said:

I had the stutter problem as well on my 80 GB PS3. Only noticed it during the opening cutscene though. There was some loading sometimes during room transitions but it was very tolerable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Messypandas said:
You can judge for yourself but there is no issues with either version, it all comes down to personal preference on the controller

The demo was wholly installed on the HDD. Of course it doesn't have the (few) issues the disc version shows.

But really, other than the stuttering in the first 5 or 10 seconds of the intro and the occasional delay in opening doors (what happens here is game loads behind doors levels as you approach the doors, so running to them might cause some Metroid Prime style delay), there is nothing to complain about.

LiK

TTP said:
The demo was wholly installed on the HDD. Of course it doesn't have the (few) issues the disc version shows.

But really, other than the stuttering in the first 5 or 10 seconds of the intro and the occasional delay in opening doors (what happens here is game loads behind doors levels as you approach the door, so running to it might cause some Metroid Prime style delay), there is nothing to complain about.

well, duckroll was asking which version to get and since i have both, i think he needed my advice. i'm not into console wars BS.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
LiK said:
well, duckroll was asking which version to get and since i have both, i think he needed my advice. i'm not into console wars BS.

I'm actually supporting you here man. You are right about the issues you have listed. That's all I'm saying ;)

Top Bottom