• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BeautifulMemory said:
What are you struggling with? If combat, use challenge modes to practice.

I really can't fight more than 2 enemies at a time because my health gets REALLY low really fast and they're just kicking my ass overall. Hell, I had an easier time fighting
Bane
on Hard than fighting JUST a bunch of thugs at once for some reason; and that fucking boss battle had a shitload of thugs come at you twice. :lol

Although, the latest thug gang I constantly get killed on is because the enemies are mixed between punching thugs and knifing thugs (in the Arkham
Mansion
)

Feindflug

Domino Theory said:
I really can't fight more than 2 enemies at a time because my health gets REALLY low really fast and they're just kicking my ass overall. Hell, I had an easier time fighting
Bane
on Hard than fighting JUST a bunch of thugs at once for some reason; and that fucking boss battle had a shitload of thugs come at you twice. :lol

Although, the latest thug gang I constantly get killed on is because the enemies are mixed between punching thugs and knifing thugs (in the Arkham
Mansion
)

Same thing happened to me in the
Arkham Mansion
with these really annoying thugs with the knifes - just concentrate on killing them first, use the evade move (press direction forward the enemy and press A) to jump over the others.

Just do this and try to watch out for incoming attacks using counters as much as you can I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Domino Theory said:
Bane

Mansion
)

okay I hope the following will help you then. I am going to just throw some general suggestions out there.

Like I said, use the challenge modes to help you, especially the extreme ones. Use counter as a way to predict attacks rather than reactive. You can do this, for example, by noticing the ones who is yelling and running toward you. Otherwise, usually the enemies who attack you are the ones you turn your back on (obvious, I know). Use the analog stick to direct Batman to where you want to counter, like when you attack. So when you are in a combo, you can move across the room countering as well.

Knifing thugs, use the cape stun. Otherwise, upgrade the instant take down move so you can use it within 5 combos. That move is practically invincible. You will know when you can use special moves when the combo meter is yellow and flashing.

Use batarangs through tapping L1 (or the according button on 360). This way you will always leave at least one thug stunned (3 if you have it upgraded), thus limiting the amount of enemies you have to fight on screen for a short period of time.

Jump! Use the evade move. More often than not you will be unharmed and their backs will be facing you for you to beat the shit out of them.

It is also important to spread the floor. So you got bunch of enemies surrounding you, but that doesn't mean you have to go through them one at a time in some kind of order. Instead, once you get a 3-hit combo going, I would hit all across the room from all directions to make the enemies move and go after you. This is one of the many scenarios where you can counter, hit somebody else, use special take down move, and etc.

Last but no the least, summon your inner Batman and remind yourself that you are the goddamn Batman in this game. Batman doesn't get hit, he punches and kicks the shit out of thugs and eat them for breakfast. Like mentioned in Batman Begins, he has training that can engage 500 people. Make it happen. You are the motherfucking Batman.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Did you unlock the "power up" which brings to 5x (from 8x) the required multiplier for performing special takedowns? That helped me a lot.

Zeliard said:
John Romero played a big hand in the development of Quake 1, which is better than any game that has ever been made.

Well, I was referring to his famous Daikatana quote ;)

LiK said:
well, i'm not the only one who experienced the stutter during the intro for the PS3 so i'm not alone. and it doesn't stutter the whole way through. just in parts during the in-game cutscenes. ex: rewatch the part where they first introduce Gordon.

PS3 is installing data on the fly when you run the intro for the first time. Run it again, issue does not occur anymore.

edit:
From a technical perspective It's more or less even what version you choose. Both have their pros and cons. Lens of truth gave the nod to the PS3 version, I expect a tie or a 360 win from digital foundry.

Joker made the choice easy for me though. (So satisfying to press L1 :D)

schennmu said:
Well, I was referring to his famous Daikatana quote ;)

PS3 is installing data on the fly when you run the intro for the first time. Run it again, issue does not occur anymore.

edit:
From a technical perspective It's more or less even what version you choose. Both have their pros and cons. Lens of truth gave the nod to the PS3 version, I expect a tie or a 360 win from digital foundry.

Joker made the choice easy for me though. (So satisfying to press L1 :D)

Hell yes!!

Sweet jesus. This game.

Finally got round to getting it. I know people talked about it being GOTY and I thought that was over the top as the demo was fun but nothing special. But my god. This game is absolutely incredible. Rocksteady completely on my map now. The 3d Metroidvania element is fucking delicious.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I just looked at the install file on my PS3, and Batman now takes over 4 gig of space. I take it the game just keeps using up more space as you play through?

XiaNaphryz said:
I just looked at the install file on my PS3, and Batman now takes over 4 gig of space. I take it the game just keeps using up more space as you play through?

Yes, and the game tells you that before the installation. (As said, this is the reason why the intro may stutter the first time you run it)

LiK said:
LOL, got the full 1000/1000! take that Shock and Awe (Extreme)!

anyone else got both a Platinum and 1000 in this game? i think i'm the only one. :)

batman_platinum.jpg

batman_1000.jpg

:D

she's much cuter with her normal tights. ^.^
360 Version only here, but I got a 1000 points since last monday. Challenges were challenging but not too hard as people were pointing out here.

Though I am ready for some new challenges this week. The wait is killing me.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DMczaf said:
2 more days til I can use my free download code for Batman PC!

Longest wait ever :|
My friend and I found a copy of the game at Best Buy on PC yesterday, but his computer can't install it for some reason (installs fine on mine though):lol IT sucks, now he has to wait for Steam to activate it so he can download it.

LiK

schennmu said:

i suspected that but the long loading times for the doors were persistent. they still occurred after i beat the game when i was hunting down the rest of the riddles. i suspect it may be my stock HDD in my 60GB PS3, but who knows.

h3ro said:
Only 60% in Uncharted! That needs to be fixed before U2 comes out!

i actually beat the game at launch and only replayed it for the trophy patch a few months ago. just wanted all the treasure ones as well as any combat-related ones i previously earned the first time i played it. still awesome, can't wait til Uncharted 2 comes out. ^^

SpeedingUptoStop

man, the
gargoyles with explosives level
was SO INTENSE! And it feels so good taking out all of those guys with out a single shot fired. Makes ya feel like a boss.

Hyunkel6

SpeedingUptoStop said:
man, the
gargoyles with explosives level
was SO INTENSE! And it feels so good taking out all of those guys with out a single shot fired. Makes ya feel like a boss.

The
explosive sonic batarang
is so useful for these parts.

SpeedingUptoStop

Hyunkel6 said:
The
explosive sonic batarang
is so useful for these parts.
I
hopped out of the vent, took down the first guy, jumped back in the vent, waited for them all to scattered, used the zipline to get across the room and pick off the one guy who didn't pair up, then crouched down and walk over to the security room and hopped into the grates. picked off the next couple guys as they scattered by crawling in and out of grate + both ends of the grates where vents were. :D

It's so thrilling figuring out this stuff for yourself. :D

LiK said:
i suspected that but the long loading times for the doors were persistent. they still occurred after i beat the game when i was hunting down the rest of the riddles. i suspect it may be my stock HDD in my 60GB PS3, but who knows.

Hmm, the loading times of the doors only bothered my while backtracking to get all the riddler stuff. Mainly because I did not rush trough the game when there were enemies around, thus giving the system enough time to stream the data. It wasn't a big deal, but kind of annoying, I agree. 320GB 7200rpm hdd.

I am having some trouble with one of the combos. I'm playing on the PS3, and it says after I think 5x hits you can press circle + triangle... but everytime I press it, it just tries to counter, doesnt do an automatic takedown.

Instead of pressing it together, am I supposed to press them in an order, or what? Or maybe I am just unable to press those two buttons together/my timing sucks? :lol

iamcool388 said:
I am having some trouble with one of the combos. I'm playing on the PS3, and it says after I think 5x hits you can press circle + triangle... but everytime I press it, it just tries to counter, doesnt do an automatic takedown.

Instead of pressing it together, am I supposed to press them in an order, or what? Or maybe I am just unable to press those two buttons together/my timing sucks? :lol

Without the upgrade, you need an 8x combo to do it (Combo meter turns yellow when it's ready)

And yes, you have to press the buttons at the same time.

Haeleos

iamcool388 said:

No, you're right. You have to press them together. Maybe try to conciously hit the circle button earlier than you are hitting the triangle and it will even out? :p

You can tell when you're able to do either the throw or the instant takedown when the combo counter turns orange and all explodey looking.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I got the Freeflow gold trophy the other night and went straight for the Invisible Predator Trophy (kill all henchmen in a Predatorchallenge with only Silent Takedowns). I chose Silent Knight as my stage because it allows for sooooo much places to hide. After I tackled that, my predator-trophies were all filled. Went on to Rumble In The Jungle Extreme just to get medals for that one, while knowing I still had the Freeflow 40 Trophy locked. I went at those thugs in round 2 or 3 and it was like I went into a zone. I was countering left & right, knifers had no chance (my preferred strategy:
unleash hell on regular henchmen, then throw the knifer and do a ground takedown on ihs as for maximum points (instant takedown is 50 points, while a throw is 25 and a ground takedown is 100, plus you get two combo-multipliers instead of one
), the titan-henchman had nothing on me, and while I was knocking those baddies around I wasn't even paying attention to the combo-multiplier. All of a sudden, my girlfriend goes "You got it!", which broke my concentration, but the ping my PS3 gave let me knew I had a 40+combo.

I'm not a trophywhore of any kind, but this game just makes me itch to get every single one. Right now all I need to get are all medals on the Combat Challenges, and a Freeflow Perfection-trophy. This game is sooo much fun, it's just awesome to try and get those trophies. It's not go there and collect all Batman-signs, it's truely a test of skill. This game has definatly a big fat mark for my GOTY-list.

Kard8p3

The S-Word said:
has anyone mentioned how the game progession is very similar to Zelda? makes me really want a HD Zelda game..

I'd say it's closer to metroid. In fact that's one of the many reasons I love this game. It feels like a 3D metroidvania where you play Batman.

Jaeyden

O.K. so I arrived at the party but was curious what was beyond the door...thinking I could just go back and beat up the henchmen for the party pooper trophy. When I walked through, it wouldn't let me go back and the checkpoint saved so I couldn't reload. WTH? Am I going to have to play through it again to get that trophy? Not that I mind replaying...just wondering if this is the case.

BeeDog

Jaeyden said:
O.K. so I arrived at the party but was curious what was beyond the door...thinking I could just go back and beat up the henchmen for the party pooper trophy. When I walked through, it wouldn't let me go back and the checkpoint saved so I couldn't reload. WTH? Am I going to have to play through it again to get that trophy? Not that I mind replaying...just wondering if this is the case.

Unfortunately yes, you'll need to replay the whole game. :(

webrunner

Kard8p3 said:
I'd say it's closer to metroid. In fact that's one of the many reasons I love this game. It feels like a 3D metroidvania where you play Batman.

Of course, if you take a step back and look at it: Zelda's progression is a lot like the '3d metroidvania' template that Batman (and, for example, Metroid Prime) use.

Kard8p3

webrunner said:
Of course, if you take a step back and look at it: Zelda's progression is a lot like the '3d metroidvania' template that Batman (and, for example, Metroid Prime) use.

That's very true. There are some differences but they are quite a bit alike.

On a completely different and slightly off-topic note, I had no idea there were Batman: TAS episodes available to download on PSN. I was going to go on there and get Return of the joker with the last bit of my money and noticed they had episodes of the show. Needless to say I spent it all on episodes of the show instead of the movie. I just wish they had volume 2 up (thats the only one they don't have) so I could download the laughing fish.

JaseMath

I'm not very good at building my score in the challenge mode...any tips? The map
with the electric floor[
(tags just in case - can't remember the name)...there's no way I'm going to ever hit 40,000 points. I barely received the bare minimum for the lowest rank. :(

I am about halfway through my second play through right now.

Some of the magic is gone -- the first
Scarecrow encounter is not as scary
-- but the game is still incredible. It's my favorite game of the past two years.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Only one trophy stands between me and the platinum...freeflow gold. There is no way I'm gonna get it, even the real Batman probably couldn't.

Finished up all the Predator challenges with 3 medals. Need 16 more Combat Challenge medals for 100%. Really dreading the "Extreme" versions.

DRE Fei

The only extreme room I really had a problem with was shock and awe. At a certain point I quit worrying about gold ranking and just wanted to finish it, but I ended up getting gold anyway. That nonsense took forever.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm not really getting the "ZOMG AMAZING!!" feeling that some of you are, but I enjoyed the game. Pretty much every aspect was fun. Combat, stealth, exploration.

Bosses were pretty disappointing, though. There was a ton of potential, but there were only like two fights that weren't just standard enemy encounters. Hopefully they do that better if (alright, let's be honest: when) they make a sequel.

I also didn't much care for the map. I wish they'd just straight up ripped off Metroid Prime's 3D map. They could have easily attributed it to some gadget.

Hyunkel6

schennmu said:
Am I the only one who had more problems with the regular shock and awe than with the extreme version?

Extreme took me 1 or 2 tries. Regular took me at least 10. I guess I got lucky on Extreme. :lol

Mikey Jr.

Just got Platinum on this game.

Wow, A-FUCKING-MAZING game.

Seriously, I was going into this game with really low expectations. I've never really been a fan of Batman or DC in general. But Batman is so badass in this game, it's unbelievable. I would love to see this Batman in a movie.

Anyways, the game was great. It sticks to one thing, and it does it well. They don't try to cram other stuff into it. The combat was confusing in the beginning. I could barely do 8x combos, and only if I was lucky. Once you know how it works, I was pulling off 30x no problem. It was just so smooth.

Seriously, they did everything great. And Joker was fucking amazing. Heath Ledgers Joker was good, but this was fucking Joker! I actually laughed at some of his lines. Great acting too.

Overall, great game. Bring on Batman 2!!!

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
The only bad thing I can say is that the last fight was pretty boring. Outside of that the game was amazing! Still probably my GOTY with maybe RE5 being a game to beat it out so far.

Minamu

JasonMCG said:
I'm not very good at building my score in the challenge mode...any tips? The map
with the electric floor[
(tags just in case - can't remember the name)...there's no way I'm going to ever hit 40,000 points. I barely received the bare minimum for the lowest rank. :(
Try to keep a combo going until there's 3 guys left. Triple hook 'em & ground pound them for probably 10k points if you have a 30x combo going. I'd prioritize knife dudes ahead of stun rods, since stun rods can be picked up again by anyone & knives can't. And if you see someone trying to hit you, counter it. May sound obvious but getting hit because you think you can squeeze in one extra hit on someone is annoying. Better to take a chance on the counter distance unless they are 10 meters away, which happens.

ravien56

So I'm at the part where I exit the Asylum and I'm at the batmobile and I'm supposed to be examining evidence...what do I do? I've checked nearly everywhere and I've run out of ideas. Help!

ravien56 said:
So I'm at the part where I exit the Asylum and I'm at the batmobile and I'm supposed to be examining evidence...what do I do? I've checked nearly everywhere and I've run out of ideas. Help!

Look on the ground and look for any residues/foot prints. The game already set the perimeter for you so don't leave the circle and just leave detective vision on.

ravien56

BeautifulMemory said:
Look on the ground and look for any residues. The game already set the perimeter for you so don't leave the circle and just leave detective vision on.
Yea that's the thing, I've must of scanned every part of that area and nothing, all I got was a cigarette from the commissioner.

Top Bottom