• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

duckroll

LiK said:
the PS3 had way more stuttering during the intro segment and it took much longer to load rooms if you were running back and forth while backtracking (particularly noticable in the Penitentiary area cuz i even got "Door Loading..." text!). i'm not sure why these problems occurred even tho the PS3 required an install.

i had the 360 version installed and it was smooth all the way through. i just started replaying the 360 on Hard and i can confirm that the whole intro segment was completely smooth, unlike the PS3 version. no loading issues for rooms either.

if you want the Joker Exclusive challenges, the PS3 is the way to go. but the 360 version performance was better, imo.

That's interesting. It's pretty disappointing that even with installs, some PS3 versions have issues like that. If that's the case, I'll probably get it either on 360, or on the PC. Thanks for the heads up. Locally I expect the 360 version to be cheaper as well, so there's also that.

Neiteio

eXistor said:
Yep, me neither. Smooth as butter on my ps3.
I'll add my voice to the choir: no problems on the PS3 version. Smooth from start to finish, and the Joker is AMAZING. (Check out vids of him on YouTube. :))

Speaking of finish, what a finish! I got all 240 riddles and then beat the game. Easily my favorite title of the year so far, and I'm no Bat-fan.

And I thought the Killer Croc encounter AND the final battle were both fucking amazing. :)

Kard8p3

ShockingAlberto said:
This isn't mentioned much, but the patient interview tapes are the best thing ever.

Indeed they are. This game is just about the best thing ever.

Neiteio said:
I'll add my voice to the choir: no problems on the PS3 version. Smooth from start to finish.

Speaking of finish, what a finish! I got all 240 riddles and then beat the game. Easily my favorite title of the year so far, and I'm no Bat-fan.

And I thought the Killer Croc encounter AND the final battle were both fucking amazing. :)

Yeah I didn't have any problems with the PS3 version either. I'll also agree with everything else you say as well. The killer croc stuff and the end was just as great as the rest of the game.

Lothars

LiK said:
well, i'm playing on a launch 60GB PS3. maybe the older hardware isn't performing as well as the other folks here who have their newer models.

as for the doors, in the Penitentiary section, you know how those doors will scan you and then open up? well, the scan might take more than 5 seconds or the door might be stuck in some pulsing animation before it opens waiting to load out. it seems to happen if i RUN alot back and forth. the loading seems to be hidden if you walk. try it out dudes.

maybe i'll record a video to show you guys what i mean but since i got Platinum, i uninstalled the game already.

I had the loading screen on the 360 version as well, so it's not exclusive to the PS3 but I never had the stuttering problem with the PS3 version on the opening sequence and I have a launch 60gb as well.

RavenFox

Banned
TTP said:
The demo was wholly installed on the HDD. Of course it doesn't have the (few) issues the disc version shows.

But really, other than the stuttering in the first 5 or 10 seconds of the intro and the occasional delay in opening doors (what happens here is game loads behind doors levels as you approach the doors, so running to them might cause some Metroid Prime style delay), there is nothing to complain about.
I agree with the loading behind doors but that shouldn't be a knock against the game.

Launch 60 gig with a 320gig upgrade here.

LiK

duckroll said:
That's interesting. It's pretty disappointing that even with installs, some PS3 versions have issues like that. If that's the case, I'll probably get it either on 360, or on the PC. Thanks for the heads up. Locally I expect the 360 version to be cheaper as well, so there's also that.

yea, it's an awesome game no matter what. you won't be disappointed. :)

now that i got Platinum, i just need to beat Shock and Awe (Extreme) again(!) on the 360 for the full 1000. kinda sucks that they flipped the controls for the Batarang and Detective mode (L1/L2) between both versions. i was confused when i was going back and forth the consoles while playing the challenges. :lol

RavenFox said:
I agree with the loading behind doors but that shouldn't be a knock against the game.

it's not a knock, just stating the issues i experienced.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Yessur. Killer Croc's are probably my favorite. He's pretty damn funny in them.
They're all pretty amazing. The Riddler, Zsaz, and Scarecrow are probably my favorites.

Does anyone know if there's a way to contact Rocksteady just to say "You made a really amazing game"?

duckroll

ShockingAlberto said:
They're all pretty amazing. The Riddler, Zsaz, and Scarecrow are probably my favorites.

Does anyone know if there's a way to contact Rocksteady just to say "You made a really amazing game"?

It sold almost 2 million copies so far right? I'm sure they know. :)

Erdrick

I broke down and bought PS3 version of this game on Thursday night and, I too, noticed stuttering in the opening that was at least not present in the demo I played hours prior of it. For the rest of the intro, the video and voice/sound were out of synch. Not a major issue, but not something I like to see in any case. I have a launch 60 gig PS3 BTW, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, the game itself is fantastic and it really captures some great gameplay moments that take me back to when I first played Tenchu on the PS1. I don't know what pact Rocksteady, Eidos, DC and WB made, but this game is nearly flawless to me. They just nailed every aspect nearly perfectly. Well polished, looks amazing and it's damn well one of the best games this year. It deserves every sale and I am happy that a game that truly deserves the recognition is getting it, critically and financially.

Just a very superb game.

Just for the record, I noticed massive stuttering on the intro to the PS3 version when I first got the game, but when I started Hard mode there were no such problems at all. I think it's just an occasional little thing. I don't mind, because the game is an overall incredible achievment.

Playing through on Hard and so far it hasn't been nearly as tough as I was expecting. But then again, I'm only to
Croc's Lair
so there's still a little ways to go.

Aske

ILOVEASIANS said:
Playing through on Hard and so far it hasn't been nearly as tough as I was expecting. But then again, I'm only to
Croc's Lair
so there's still a little ways to go.

I'm enjoying Hard, but I'd have loved an extra, tougher difficulty level. If any game could use a one-hit kill mode, it's this one. I just want to play through the game a third time. The DLC can't come soon enough!

Alivor

Disaster strike!! I beat the game on hard, and got all of the Riddler challenges. I started to work on the challenges, and I was doing pretty good with them. I had about half of them done I'd say. Boot up the game, corrupted save. WHAT?!?! I'm assuming there's no fix, and I'm not going to play through again and do all of the Riddler challenges again just to do the other challenges. :(

Hyunkel6

Aske said:
I'm enjoying Hard, but I'd have loved an extra, tougher difficulty level. If any game could use a one-hit kill mode, it's this one.

Oh god. That would be insane. It's almost impossible to not get hit on hard mode during battles with 5+ enemies, especially with no counter indications.

Aske said:
I'm enjoying Hard, but I'd have loved an extra, tougher difficulty level. If any game could use a one-hit kill mode, it's this one. I just want to play through the game a third time. The DLC can't come soon enough!

This. I beat it on hard the first time through and I want to play through again.

Or some modified type of New Game+.

I can't find my rhythm with the Challenges for some reason.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RavenFox said:

Of course not. But that aint a "pro" either (the slight delay occurring at times, that is). IMO the Joker exclusive is more important than some stutter at the beginning of the intro, but he asked which version is better from a performance standpoint (I guess), and while both are equally awesome you can't honestly say the PS3 one is. Don't forget the extra AA in the 360 version.

Anyway Duckroll, check this out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-demo-showdown-blog-entry

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Itchy//Tasty said:
Just for the record, I noticed massive stuttering on the intro to the PS3 version when I first got the game, but when I started Hard mode there were no such problems at all. I think it's just an occasional little thing. I don't mind, because the game is an overall incredible achievment.

I suspected that. I assume it's just the game installing some bits of extra data upon first go.

Kard8p3

Aske said:

That could get incredibly frustrating but I could also see it being very fun. I'd be all for it.

Alex

I only played the demo on both systems, but it was EXACTLY THE SAME on both. I have no idea where you guys are finding any differences anywhere.

McLovin

Alex said:
I only played the demo on both systems, but it was EXACTLY THE SAME on both. I have no idea where you guys are finding any differences anywhere.
They are slightly different. The 360 version does have more AA, and it does a better job of loading before the doors, but normal gamers wouldn't notice. Remember this is Neogaf dude :lol I enjoyed playing as the Joker in the challenge rooms and I can honestly say the Joker's worth it. But its probably coming to 360 anyway so you really can't go wrong no matter what you pick.

RavenFox

Banned
TTP said:
Of course not. But that aint a "pro" either (the slight delay occurring at times, that is). IMO the Joker exclusive is more important than some stutter at the beginning of the intro, but he asked which version is better from a performance standpoint (I guess), and while both are equally awesome you can't honestly say the PS3 one is. Don't forget the extra AA in the 360 version.

Anyway Duckroll, check this out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-demo-showdown-blog-entry
Just so you know I was agreeing even though it didn't come out that way. Also, doesn't the 360 have a closer camera?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Question gaf:

after saving
warden Sharp and getting that gadget to bust security systems with
, I walked down stairs after the cutscenes and shit and behind a glass cell was
warden Sharp saying " You saved the wrong Warden, you fool!" all casual like.
I was saving the game at the time so I didn't stick around to see what else he had to say. I figured I was entering a scarecrow hallucinogen dream again, but when I walked away, it turns out that it wasn't happening.

So, my question is gaf...what the fuck was the deal with that? I haven't finished the game yet, mind you.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Question gaf:

after saving
I was saving the game at the time so I didn't stick around to see what else he had to say. I figured I was entering a scarecrow hallucinogen dream again, but when I walked away, it turns out that it wasn't happening.

So, my question is gaf...what the fuck was the deal with that? I haven't finished the game yet, mind you.

That was
Clayface
if you stick around he
turns into a few other characters too

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Question gaf:

after saving

Use your detective vision on the second Warden Sharp behind the glass and read the Danger sign if you want a big clue.

If you really want to know without doing any of that:

It's Clayface.

JSnake

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Question gaf:

after saving

Clayface. :)

ezekial45

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Question gaf:

after saving

Scan him. :D

I finished this game at last this morning. Took my sweet time with it, too. This is one game that didn't deserve a rushed playing. Such an incredibly satisfying experience. Considering the tremendous sales, a sequel is inevitable. I ponder how they will approach the follow-up. Will it be set at Arkham again? Or perhaps in Gotham City with Two-Face as the lead villain?

JSnake said:
It's not exactly a spoiler.
Technically nothing is really a spoiler in this game - all the main villains have been shown in the plethora of trailers available.

But yet, we all still choose to spoiler tag the names. Why? Because not everyone knows who the villains are... not everyone's seen the trailers - it's called consideration. In this case, consideration of the fact that not everyone knows all the villain cameos in the game.

LiK

LOL, got the full 1000/1000! take that Shock and Awe (Extreme)!

anyone else got both a Platinum and 1000 in this game? i think i'm the only one. :)

batman_platinum.jpg

batman_1000.jpg

:D

Akim said:
Man this game is awesome.

P.S. Harley Quinn is hot.

she's much cuter with her normal tights. ^.^

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I have not noticed a difference in loading/stuttering on PS3 or 360...but I have a 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD in my PS3, stock drives might be a little slower.

The only major difference I have noticed (aside from AA vs non AA) is the 360 has a couple of extra effects...the steam that blows out of pipes looks better on 360.

Akim said:
Man this game is awesome.

P.S. Harley Quinn is hot.

Ivy's Game Over screens
are pretty hawt too.

I just finished up my hard run, completed all the Riddler challenges, and started a couple of the Challenges. Not sure if I'll be able to make 100% but I'm going to try. I've 3 Batwinged the first three rather easily, not that thats saying much.

Finished it today.

The final boss was a tad...silly, but overall it was the best game I've played this year.

The words "labor of love" have never been so apt. At no point did I feel the developers took shortcuts or compromised either the gameplay or the license for the other.

LiK

ILOVEASIANS said:
Ivy's Game Over screens
are pretty hawt too.

I just finished up my hard run, completed all the Riddler challenges, and started a couple of the Challenges. Not sure if I'll be able to make 100% but I'm going to try. I've 3 Batwinged the first three rather easily, not that thats saying much.

yea, try the Extreme versions. you're gonna curse a lot :)

Hawk SE

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So I haven't been that good at Combat Rooms, but definitely been getting better.

I got x39 in Intensive Treatment EXTREME and it was the last guy, so upsetting
- And every subsequent retry has been getting lower and lower, so I had to stop

I presume I was THINKING about it whereas when I got x39 I wasn't...

LiK

Hawk xSx said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So I haven't been that good at Combat Rooms, but definitely been getting better.

I got x39 in Intensive Treatment EXTREME and it was the last guy, so upsetting
- And every subsequent retry has been getting lower and lower, so I had to stop

I presume I was THINKING about it whereas when I got x39 I wasn't...

yea, don't even think about the scores. just go with the flow and don't get hit and use a lot of variations to keep the combo meter going. as long as you do well, you'll get gold.

Top Bottom