• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

ravien56 said:
I'm not sure anymore...I remember doing something with it, then he said something about the cigarette.

I think you already found the answer. You just have to hold the scan button for it to register. I know sounds all obvious but you might be missing that

ravien56

BeautifulMemory said:
I think you already found the answer. You just have to hold the scan button for it to register. I know sounds all obvious but you might be missing that
Alright, I'll give it another shot, thanks.

The challenge modes are the "Tony Hawk" of action brawlers. I always think I can do one more move, get a few more points. They are addictive as hell.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The
Killer croc
level was tense, but pretty easy. I died twice.
at the beginning, run head on towards the planks. As I was running, Batman was saying "These planks are good to walk on, but the vibrations give off my locati-*KILLER CROC EATS ME*:lol :lol :lol and I died at the end, when I got all the way to the the gate and had to wait for Croc to run at me, but kept hitting everything on the directional pad BUT the explosive gel button. :lol :lol It's a shame I don't see to get to take him on head on, tho...

the last scarecrow level was crazzzzzy. When i was walking down the hallway to activate the level, you know how it glitches out and goes into a cutscene showing the beginning of the game from a different POV? Well, I used the zipline to get across the room quicker, from one door to another and when I dropepd down, I started glitching like hell. i thought i broke the game or was about to get a red x of death on my xbox so I shut it off immediately:lol :lol That was fucked up.

Two questions about that: Was I supposed to dodge Joker's gun fire? I got the death screen and the tip to dodge his gunfire, but when it loaded back up, I was in a scarecrow level(with all those awesome Batman machinations).
Also, who was the "warden"? I can't remember that villain's name, but he was fucking hilarious. "Crane has ade no new findings, but, eh, he loves his work, sol what the hell.":lol :lol

Hyunkel6

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Was I supposed to dodge Joker's gun fire? I got the death screen and the tip to dodge his gunfire, but when it loaded back up, I was in a scarecrow level(with all those awesome Batman machinations).

Of course you can, just use the middle stick on your controller. :lol

PusherT

My nephew has this game for his PS3 he is 8 and I watched him beat the game. I did the harder parts like the scarecrow segments. The final battle with Jokers was bananas:D I also tried alittle of the challenge mode with Armor Batman and Joker . I just love sneaking around with batman taking out the baddies. The PS3 version I noticed has Blu-Ray videos on it real high quality trailers and vidocs. I getting this game and Halo OSDT by the end of this month.

Speaking of
Killer Croc
, when Batman said something about the floor making noise, I decided to use the Line Launcher. I thought I was the smartest motherfucker around until
he showed up and pulled me down!!
:lol :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
shagg_187 said:
Speaking of
Killer Croc
, when Batman said something about the floor making noise, I decided to use the Line Launcher. I thought I was the smartest motherfucker around until

I never tried that, that's pretty cool.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Also, who was the "warden"? I can't remember that villain's name, but he was fucking hilarious. "Crane has ade no new findings, but, eh, he loves his work, sol what the hell.":lol :lol
That's
Scarface, the Ventriloquist's dummy

PusherT said:
My nephew has this game for his PS3 he is 8 and I watched him beat the game. I did the harder parts like the scarecrow segments. The final battle with Jokers was bananas:D I also tried alittle of the challenge mode with Armor Batman and Joker . I just love sneaking around with batman taking out the baddies. The PS3 version I noticed has Blu-Ray videos on it real high quality trailers and vidocs. I getting this game and Halo OSDT by the end of this month.

I did not find those videos :( Maybe only on the US version?

shagg_187 said:
Speaking of
Killer Croc
That's one of the things I really love about the game. If you can't do something, or can do something that doesn't really make sense, the game always gives you an explanation for it.

It doesn't compromise the IP for gameplay and doesn't compromise the gameplay for the IP. It is perfectly symbiotic.

venom2124

Snuggler said:
Only one trophy stands between me and the platinum...freeflow gold. There is no way I'm gonna get it, even the real Batman probably couldn't.

The real Batman can do anything. Anything. But seriously I was in the same boat. I just needed to finish shock and awe extreme and rumble in the jungle extreme for platinum. Gave up more times than I care to admit. Tonight I played shock and awe over and over until I cleared by 7 thousand. With rumble I kept getting closer every time I played. One match I ended up with 49935. I never wanted to throw my controller so bad. Cooled down and played once more, got the 50000 by the skin of my teeth.

Moral of the story, like Batman, you have to plan every move three steps ahead and have the patience of a saint.

desverger

It's weird, the only combat challenge I was able to get 3 medals so far has been Rumble in the Jungle Extreme. And I even got it on the first try. Mostly 2 on others, and only 1 in a few like Shock and Awe.

Problem with the earlier challenges seems to be that if your combo breaks, you might as well restart the whole challenge because you won't ever be able to reach those point limits anymore.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Does someone here still have the official podcasts on his HDD? The download links on the Batman AA homepage for 1-4 are broken.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
desverger said:
It's weird, the only combat challenge I was able to get 3 medals so far has been Rumble in the Jungle Extreme. And I even got it on the first try. Mostly 2 on others, and only 1 in a few like Shock and Awe.

Problem with the earlier challenges seems to be that if your combo breaks, you might as well restart the whole challenge because you won't ever be able to reach those point limits anymore.

I only got 3 medals on the first challenge, because of the Perfect Knight bonus (got 18050 or something). So yeah, the non-extreme-battles are harder than the extreme challenges, in a way. Except Shock & Awe maybe, that level is a bitch.

LiK

venom2124 said:
The real Batman can do anything. Anything. But seriously I was in the same boat. I just needed to finish shock and awe extreme and rumble in the jungle extreme for platinum. Gave up more times than I care to admit. Tonight I played shock and awe over and over until I cleared by 7 thousand. With rumble I kept getting closer every time I played. One match I ended up with 49935. I never wanted to throw my controller so bad. Cooled down and played once more, got the 50000 by the skin of my teeth.

Moral of the story, like Batman, you have to plan every move three steps ahead and have the patience of a saint.

Shock and Awe (Extreme) is incredibly tough simply because of the timer. gotta be fast and know what you're gonna do beforehand to succeed. took me a lot of retries to not panic while the timer was counting down to zero. :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hit my first roadblock on Hard mode. Entering the Mansion and there are about 10 goons searching for the 'Dr.'s notes'. I have to take them all down in fisticuffs to proceed, but keeping getting wasted. I upgraded Max Health, but still get my ass kicked. Just too many goons surround me. :( Maybe I should have focused more on the takedown upgrades...

DLC map pack details...

EIDOS INTERACTIVE AND WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE INSANE NIGHT MAP PACK FOR BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM™

Two Free Maps Available September 17 for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360® and Games for Windows®

Monday 14th September/... Eidos Interactive Ltd. and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced the Insane Night Map Pack, a freedownloadable map pack for the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham Asylum™ action adventure title. Beginning September 17th, the Insane Night Map Pack will be available from PlayStation® Store, Xbox® LIVE Marketplace, and Games for Windows® LIVE Marketplace, and offer gamers two new Challenge Maps to hone their FreeFlow™ Combat skills and test their Invisible Predator™ prowess.

In the ‘Totally Insane’ FreeFlow Combat map, players will be tested to their fullest as scores of escaped lunatics bear down upon BATMAN as they make their escape through the asylum’s secure records facility. These fast-moving foes will challenge all but the most practiced players, with quick reactions and expert timing needed to fend off wave upon wave of insane inmates, bent on taking down the DARK KNIGHT. In the ‘Nocturnal Hunter’ Invisible Predator map, players take on a wholly different approach, practicing their predatory skills to remain in the shadows, utilizing the Arkham watchtowers and Batman’s arsenal of gadgets to gain the upper hand on The Joker’s army of goons patrolling below.

The Insane Night Map Pack will be available from September 17th for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, and the soon to be released Games for Windows® LIVE edition.

Lothars

Brandon F said:
Hit my first roadblock on Hard mode. Entering the Mansion and there are about 10 goons searching for the 'Dr.'s notes'. I have to take them all down in fisticuffs to proceed, but keeping getting wasted. I upgraded Max Health, but still get my ass kicked. Just too many goons surround me. :( Maybe I should have focused more on the takedown upgrades...

I found if have the multiple hit batarang to use that with the double left trigger and take two down but keep countering and just continously do strikes and if you have throws unlocked use that as well but just keep moving and trying to counter.

LiK

Brandon F said:

i didn't have too much trouble but yea, the instant takedowns are key. but you could always try to run and grapple to the second level to thin out the crowd. use the gargoyles for inverted takedowns too.

Keyser Soze said:
DLC map pack details...
So if I'm to understand this correctly... the Totally Insane one takes place in the Mansion's records room, against the insane inmates of the asylum (the ones that scream and get taken down in one hit). Is it even possible to freeflow against them? lol

The predator map sounds cool, though. Finally an outdoor one.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Revolutionary said:
So if I'm to understand this correctly... the Totally Insane one takes place in the Mansion's records room, against the insane inmates of the asylum (the ones that scream and get taken down in one hit). Is it even possible to freeflow against them? lol

The predator map sounds cool, though. Finally an outdoor one.

As i read it, you get waves of them, it will be perfect freeflow possibilities.

demolitio

This is the second game ever that I have bought on two platforms. Played it on the PS3 to see the Joker challenges and then traded it in for $42 to get the PC version. It's also the only game I've ever taken the time to platinum. This game is just that amazing to me. :D

Vlightray

Just got the game and played a few hours and well this is fucking awesome.
The story the design the sound everything.

But wanted to let the guys know that say this generation that and that generation this etc.
The reason arkham is so awesome is because it was so low on the radar for everyone it wasn't watched all the time and hyped thru the roof and thats what made this game awesome from beginning to end it's something you haven't read about or seen but experience officially the first time when you put the disc in your console.

Sometimes lay off the media train and buy the game when it drops feels alot better.

I think personally this generation we see too much and want to much before the game even comes out wait for it to come then play it don't demand to know everything.

Awesome game Rocksteady is going on my map from now.

Turfster

Just finished the story mode.
Found the boss fights to be rather lackluster in the end, overall.
I don't think I did anything besides constantly dodge left/right and throw batarangs during the Ivy one, she took out her own men with her vines...
Cleaning up the last Riddler stuff I missed, but I've hit an unexpected snag.
I'm missing 2 teeth in the western outside zone
but I can't hear them over the constant 'party' fireworks I now have outside.
I've looked pretty much everywhere, anyone have any hints?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
LiK said:
i didn't have too much trouble but yea, the instant takedowns are key. but you could always try to run and grapple to the second level to thin out the crowd. use the gargoyles for inverted takedowns too.

I wish I could do inverted takedowns! The gargoyles are blocked by a catwalk that the enemies refuse to climb up to. I pretty much am forced to fight em all, which has been more brutal than any boss encounters yet on this difficulty.

Just picked this up and having a lot of fun. Playing through on Normal and about an hour and a half into it. Normal seems pretty simple so far. Love the detective stuff. Voice acting is top notch of course. Don't know why I didn't get this sooner. Downloaded the Joker DLC and it's great to hear the DLC Thursday will be free. Not sure when I'll get to trying the challenge rooms though.

LiK

Brandon F said:
I wish I could do inverted takedowns! The gargoyles are blocked by a catwalk that the enemies refuse to climb up to. I pretty much am forced to fight em all, which has been more brutal than any boss encounters yet on this difficulty.

hohoho, you thought this was tough? can't wait to read your reactions to the fight before the final one. :D

Jaeyden

Alright, finished this yesterday on Hard. My first play through. Did it because I wanted to prolong this most awesome experience. Playing the challenge modes now and can't express how REVOLUTIONARY the combat mode is. PLEASE every developer out there...emulate this EXACT model. This is THE new paradigm in my opinion. I don't think I ever landed more than 12 combos while I played in hard.....but now I see how awesome this fighting system is with the indicators. Fun Fun Fun to say the least.

Jaeyden said:
Alright, finished this yesterday on Hard. My first play through. Did it because I wanted to prolong this most awesome experience. Playing the challenge modes now and can't express how REVOLUTIONARY the combat mode is. PLEASE every developer out there...emulate this EXACT model. This is THE new paradigm in my opinion. I don't think I ever landed more than 12 combos while I played in hard.....but now I see how awesome this fighting system is with the indicators. Fun Fun Fun to say the least.

Agreed though I would like them to fix where Batman would get hit BEFORE the thug hits and he is already in the motion of doing a critical strike, I lost a lot of combos due to that.

My other complaint is, though I have no idea how to make it better, is the camera. The camera in general is fine, with the exception of the times where I can't tell which enemies are still alive or they are too slow getting up and I lose my combos that way as well. Really annoying when you are trying to do maximum damage to the leaderboard.

Haeleos

Why is the combo baterang not a double tap like the quick batclaw is?

Fucks me up all the time. I've kind of managed to formulate some weird way of doing it so that I time my combo baterangs so that I do one of the LT taps during the last combo animation in order to cancel it out and then the game only counts the second tap... only way I can do it without risking it screwing up my combo.

Mugaaz

Why can I never successfully pull off a quick batarang/claw into a combo? It only works like 10% of the time and my combo get's ruined.

Ephemeris

Mugaaz said:
Why can I never successfully pull off a quick batarang/claw into a combo? It only works like 10% of the time and my combo get's ruined.

I usually try it in the reverse order, and never start with them.

Hyunkel6

Mugaaz said:

I was having the same problems until I read carefully and noticed that the quick batarang requires only a single tap, while the quick batclaw requires a double tap.

Akim

Banned
What's the strategy for killing goons with guns when they have the collars and they put explosives on the gargoyles?

Hyunkel6

Akim said:
What's the strategy for killing goons with guns when they have the collars and they put explosives on the gargoyles?

I personally use a lot of corner takedowns and explosive sonic batarangs to take them out. I also usually put explosive gels on the body of an unconscious henchmen asap after the takedown, wait for the others to get to him, pull the trigger when they are all clustered around the body and rush in for ground takedowns after the explosion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ephemeris said:
I usually try it in the reverse order, and never start with them.

I actually started every round off with the batclaw, if you snag a guy with a stun rod I just dodge right afterwards and they drop it.

somnific

Turfster said:
Just finished the story mode.
Found the boss fights to be rather lackluster in the end, overall.
I don't think I did anything besides constantly dodge left/right and throw batarangs during the Ivy one, she took out her own men with her vines...
Cleaning up the last Riddler stuff I missed, but I've hit an unexpected snag.
I'm missing 2 teeth in the western outside zone
but I can't hear them over the constant 'party' fireworks I now have outside.
I've looked pretty much everywhere, anyone have any hints?

you could try looking for them in one of the corridor that connects to arkham north or arkham east. i think i found my last two in the south corridor (aw to ae).

Akim said:
I basically made camp in the center room and just took everyone out when they came near the tiles around the floor.

Sonic batarangs help a lot.

Top Bottom