• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Hyunkel6 said:
I personally use a lot of corner takedowns and explosive sonic batarangs to take them out. I also usually put explosive gels on the body of an unconscious henchmen asap after the takedown, wait for the others to get to him, pull the trigger when they are all clustered around the body and rush in for ground takedowns after the explosion.
Whoa, that's a good idea.

TheFallen

what's the deal with the proximity explosive gel? Am I reading it wrong? I've never seen it explode on its own during 2 playthroughs.

jdogmoney

I'm disappointed. No one has mentioned the absolutely worst part of this game.

When Batman raises his arm to protect himself from an explosion,
the one that kills Young, if I recall correctly,
he doesn't raise his cape.

WTF.

Freaking game was almost good, too.

The incredible windowpane takedowns in the gargoyle room from the demo totally make up for it, though.

Seriously, I love this game. So good. Gah. Shoulda sent a poet.

Why wouldn't an open world Gotham work? Just streamline the art style, maybe cel shade it. Make the buildings fun to climb around, and make the zipline such that you can patrol easily. Can't you see yourself stopping thugs from mugging some woman and whatnot?

And by the same token, co-op Arkham Asylum-style gameplay could work. It just takes a bit of imagination.

jdogmoney said:
Why wouldn't an open world Gotham work? Just streamline the art style, maybe cel shade it. Make the buildings fun to climb around, and make the zipline such that you can patrol easily. Can't you see yourself stopping thugs from mugging some woman and whatnot?
I think it'd be very easy to lose focus with an open world Gotham. Even with the puzzles and secrets, Arkham Asylum is very focused and story driven, and that would probably get lost in an open-world game where you're constantly being diverted from the main storyline to pounce on some common street thugs or a random purse-snatcher.

Spider-Man games suffer for the same reason, a lack of focus.

I do not want an open world Gotham. That said, the idea of gliding in between buildings,
similar to leaving the Batcave the second time and gliding between rock pillars
, makes me giddy like a school girl.

Rocksteady delayed Arkham Asylum for a couple months to add extra polish. If Eidos allows it to take time and do a sequel the right way, we'll see something special.

BTW, are the Scarecrow/Crime Alley maps ever coming as DLC?

vazel

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I imagine the sequel will be another closed in environment like this one, like the Batcave or something.
I'm thinking maybe villains invade Wayne Mansion or a Wayne Enterprise building complex.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
4 more days until the Steam release!! I have listened to so many podcasts recently with people praising the game and the wait is becoming very difficult. I think I've played through the demo like 10 times now... :(

vazel

Banned
jrricky said:
There is a comic that tells this story?
There was a 2-issue story in Detective Comics where a bad guy take over the Wayne Enterprises building. The story made good use of Bruce Wayne leading the hostages through the building, he then escaped in some commotion to become Batman. It would be neat to play as Wayne.

vazel said:
There was a 2-issue story in Detective Comics where a bad guy take over the Wayne Enterprises building. The story made good use of Bruce Wayne leading the hostages through the building, he then escaped in some commotion to become Batman. It would be neat to play as Wayne.

Hell even if they re-enact the Dark Knight Wayne Enterprise invasion scene that would be cool enough too.

roMonster

I haven't really been following this thread (or this game) and I dunno if this has been mentioned before. I just read this.

Video games developer Eidos have come up with a novel way of catching users playing pirated copies of their game.

Players using illegal copies of Batman: Arkham Asylum have found that essential control functions in the game have been disabled, rendering it unplayable.

An Eidos community manager replied, saying the user had encountered "a hook" in the copy protection system, designed to "catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free".

"It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8256405.stm

:lol so funny.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
H.Cornerstone said:
Amazon sent me the PC version a day early... only problem is I can't get it to work with stupid windows live...

You can probably play it offline and still get achievements.

A friend of mine in the US also ordered the PC version and got it today... I'm so jealous!

LiK

vazel said:
I'm thinking maybe villains invade Wayne Mansion or a Wayne Enterprise building complex.

yes, or they could have Batman investigate several buildings in a few blocks instead of an entire city instead of only one bulding. like a Museum or Bank where hostages are being held etc. lots of potential.

Really enjoying the challenges as well, although some of them are a complete waiting game. Lining up three separate explosive walls with 3 individual victims is gonna take a while :lol

As for main villain next game, has to be Ra's Al Ghul doesn't it, unless they do the Joker again. Ra's is about the only mastermind level character good enough to pull off another 'elaborate trap'. Hell Rocksteady should just follow the Metal Gear settings from now on with a split Tanker/Sea Complex game and a jungle based prequel; Bat Eater...

Leunam

Rather than an open world game for the sequel it should be a large enclosed outdoor area located on an island where exits are blocked, like The Narrows from Batman Begins. It's a slummy area, nice scenery, plenty of crime, and it's completely isolated from the main city by bridges.

SecretBonusPoint said:
As for main villain next game, has to be Ra's Al Ghul doesn't it, unless they do the Joker again. Ra's is about the only mastermind level character good enough to pull off another 'elaborate trap'. Hell Rocksteady should just follow the Metal Gear settings from now on with a split Tanker/Sea Complex game and a jungle based prequel; Bat Eater...

They could make you play as Robin for the second half. Brilliant! ;P

LiK

Night_Trekker said:
They could make you play as Robin for the second half. Brilliant! ;P

i see what you did there. but they could add levels with the new Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman etc. :D

If you got this game free with the purchase of an Nvidia graphics card, does anyone know when it's up? I heard this week but I don't know what day.

LiK

ezekial45 said:
I still think a ruined Gotham City (a la No Mans Land) would be a great place for a sequel.

good one, altho i'd like to play in the normal Gotham City before the earthquake. make that the 3rd game ;)

vehn

LiK said:
i see what you did there. but they could add levels with the new Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman etc. :D

batgirl is Oracle, and since she's in a wheelchair, I don't think her levels would be very fun :lol

LiK

vehn said:
batgirl is Oracle, and since she's in a wheelchair, I don't think her levels would be very fun :lol

errr, i said the new Batgirl. you do know there's more than one, right? ;) Oracle was the original.

webrunner

vehn said:

There are other batgirls: Cassandra Cain, Huntress (she took up the mantle but then was forced back to Huntress by Batman), Misfit (Briefly before being Misfit), and (spoiler warning for current comics)
Stephanie Brown, as of the new series coming. Told you it was a Spoiler warning.

LiK said:
errr, i said the new Batgirl. you do know there's more than one, right? ;) Oracle was the original.
Betty Kane, the original Batwoman (Kathy Kane's) sidekick and niece technically was the original Batgirl, but that was pre-crisis. It was later when Barbara Gordon was developed partially for the TV Series.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got a scoop of what the DLC might be? It's most likely another challenge. However, I definately wouldn't mind play as Batman in different costumes.

timkunedo

So i beat the game over the weekend and it was chalked full of AWESOME! I don't even like Batman and I've got to rank this game in my top 10....maybe top 5.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
My gaming system is in dire need of a reformat, I have driver issues and corruptions all over the place. Impressions only I'm afraid. Been playing the PS and Xbox demos a lot so it's just curiosity, especially with the custom bat-suits people have made.

LiK

Thnikkaman said:
To anyone with the PC version, how are WASD controls?

i'm not even sure how people are gonna do the combat without an analog stick. it's pretty much key for doing the freeflow combos well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Really? It seemed to me at least in the demo that Bats controlled like in a third person shooter. With the amount of ludicrous jumping from bad guy to bad guy in combat I thought it would be feasible... Ah well, the smoke physics look pretty.

So I was thinking about this game today and I realized something about detective mode.

When Batman enters a room full of thugs, he can tell how many enemies are there and how many have guns because they're all talking loudly, in plain view, making footsteps, clicking their guns, etc. You can hear all these noises as a player, but you don't piece together what they mean. Occasionally he doesn't see enemies who are hiding in vents or whatever because he has no reason to think they're there - particularly lunatics, because they operate on a wave pattern that Batman can't decipher with his logical mind.

I've always treated detective mode as, like, a filter that shows Batman all the information he needs in a room. I don't think I conceptually realized that it was actually viewing Batman's thought processes.

This game is bloody brilliant.

Leunam said:
That's an interesting way to look at it, but I just took it as it being his view through special lenses in his helmet.
But he can't see some enemies when he can otherwise see enemies through walls all the time.

It is probably a combination of both, since he specifically mentions lenses sometimes.

netguy503

Leunam said:
That's an interesting way to look at it, but I just took it as it being his view through special lenses in his helmet.

Yeah, Batman has always had special things included in his mask from Wayne Tech. Good theory though!

Well, another example is some fight where you're trapped with a Titan mutant and a number of enemies behind locked doors.

If you turn on the detective mode, Batman doesn't see the Titan mutant until it hits the door trying to get through. He doesn't know of any of the thugs are there until one of the doors open and he realizes that the other door must have thugs in it, too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShockingAlberto said:
Well, another example is some fight where you're trapped with a Titan mutant and a number of enemies behind locked doors.

If you turn on the detective mode, Batman doesn't see the Titan mutant until it hits the door trying to get through. He doesn't know of any of the thugs are there until one of the doors open and he realizes that the other door must have thugs in it, too.

I think that's just a design "flaw" of detective mode.

Batman mentions the lenses several times, and it wouldn't really make sense for when Batman has to
scan and track certain fingerprints or smells.

GuardianE said:
I think that's just a design "flaw" of detective mode.

Batman mentions the lenses several times, and it wouldn't really make sense for when Batman has to
scan and track certain fingerprints or smells.
I agree there are lenses, but I think it's in combination with the way Batman thinks, too.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being an idealist with this, but it makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom