• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone with the PC version, could you do me a huge favor? (this didn't work with the demo)

Try going to the command line or editing a shortcut so you run (with the correct exe names, I forget):

"BMLAUNCHER.EXE EDITOR"
and "BMGAME.EXE EDITOR"

See if either of those crashes, or if both of them launch the game normally. BMGAME.EXE SERVER should pop up a window and crash shortly, but I guess the devs were smart enough to strip out the editor. :(

Ephemeris

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, another example is some fight where you're trapped with a Titan mutant and a number of enemies behind locked doors.

If you turn on the detective mode, Batman doesn't see the Titan mutant until it hits the door trying to get through. He doesn't know of any of the thugs are there until one of the doors open and he realizes that the other door must have thugs in it, too.

Um.. Isn't it an elevator? :lol

And if you put on the mode as soon as that section begins, you see (and hear for that matter) the Titan falling from above..

DMczaf

Awesome, my free Batman code that came with my GTX 260 is for Steam. I was worried I would have to go through Nvidia's store.

Minamu

Zeitgeister said:
Am I the only one who kinda expected Robin to be in the Asylum sowhere?

I mean, who would WANT to play him, right?
Joker mentioned him once for me. He said something about Batman's partner wearing a fancy outfit or something.

Ephemeris

Hyunkel6 said:
He also said something like "Need a new sidekick? You sure could use one! Bwahahahaha" at some point in the game IIRC.

That's the only reference I can recall, sadly. :/ If I remember correctly it was when you're about to sneak and rescue
Gordon

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
For anyone with the PC version, could you do me a huge favor? (this didn't work with the demo)

Try going to the command line or editing a shortcut so you run (with the correct exe names, I forget):

"BMLAUNCHER.EXE EDITOR"
and "BMGAME.EXE EDITOR"

See if either of those crashes, or if both of them launch the game normally. BMGAME.EXE SERVER should pop up a window and crash shortly, but I guess the devs were smart enough to strip out the editor. :(
No one's tried this yet? :mad:

Zefah said:
You can probably play it offline and still get achievements.

A friend of mine in the US also ordered the PC version and got it today... I'm so jealous!

Nope. Won't even let you save the game "or so it says"

Varna

I was laughing a bit when people were saying this game was game of the year material in another thread. Holy shit was I wrong. This game is absolutely incredible and it's up there with the Metroid Prime trilogy for me. I never expected this game to be this good.

EDIT: I always planned to get it. Was waiting for the PC version. I'm glad I waited too. This game at 1080p, all settings maxed and 4xAA looks incredible.

Hyunkel6

Varna said:
I was laughing a bit when people were saying this game was game of the year material in another thread. Holy shit was I wrong. This game is absolutely incredible and it's up there with the Metroid Prime trilogy for me. I never expected this game to be this good.

I had no idea what the game was even about until I downloaded the demo out of pure boredom and because it had Batman in it. I ended up playing the demo at least 10 times and bought the game on Day 1. Please make a sequel asap. I don't mind if it's a clone of the 1st one. Just make it happen, Rocksteady!

Varna said:

EDIT: I always planned to get it. Was waiting for the PC version. I'm glad I waited too. This game at 1080p, all settings maxed and 4xAA looks incredible.

Isn't it? :)

epmode

Blizzard said:
No one's tried this yet? :mad:
Testing with Steam version:

BMLauncher.exe EDITOR starts the launcher normally, game is fine

There is no BMGame.exe in the retail version. I'd imagine that ShippingPC-BMGame.exe is the same thing, but running it with and without the EDITOR switch gives an error suggesting that you use BMStartApp.exe instead.

BMStartApp.exe EDITOR launches the game normally.

Blizzard

Banned
epmode said:
Testing with Steam version:

BMLauncher.exe EDITOR starts the launcher normally, game is fine

There is no BMGame.exe in the retail version. I'd imagine that ShippingPC-BMGame.exe is the same thing, but running it with and without the EDITOR switch gives an error suggesting that you use BMStartApp.exe instead.

BMStartApp.exe EDITOR launches the game normally.
Thanks, looks like no editor then. I'd be curious if "BMStartApp.exe SERVER" crashes. I seem to recall the demo having somethingsomething-BMGame.exe runnable directly, which would be the equivalent of something like UT3.EXE.

Anyway, thanks for testing. :)

What is the best way to beat the guys with the tazers? I usually get zapped 3 or 4 times. When I do successfuly beat them I don't know what I just did.:lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
CitizenCope said:
What is the best way to beat the guys with the tazers? I usually get zapped 3 or 4 times. When I do successfuly beat them I don't know what I just did.:lol

You have to flip over them. Aim in their direction and double tap A(360) or X(PS3). You'll vault over them and can hit them from the back.

Orlics

If I have an Ati card, will it be worth playing this in my cramped room on my PC as opposed to downstairs on the Xbox or PS3? Or are the non-Physx graphics not that worth it?

Barso

Banned
If you can play it at a higher resolution with more AA and AF at 60 FPS then it is more than worth it.
The PHYSX is more eye candy than anything even though it does look really good.

Orlics

Barso said:
If you can play it at a higher resolution with more AA and AF at 60 FPS then it is more than worth it.

Kay I'll nab the demo and see. I tried it on a buddy's 360 and it seemed pretty nice, but I realized that 60 fps would be even nicer. :D

vehn

so after getting the platinum after a week of playing, what else is there to do? Don't have much motivation with doing the main story again, and thier's only so much you can do with the challenge rooms. Wish they would release new modes or multiplayer with DLC, $60 for a week's worth just doesn't seem worth it these days

FearX

Neo Member
vehn said:
so after getting the platinum after a week of playing, what else is there to do? Don't have much motivation with doing the main story again, and thier's only so much you can do with the challenge rooms. Wish they would release new modes or multiplayer with DLC, $60 for a week's worth just doesn't seem worth it these days

but didnt you have fun while playing? rather a game that is fun for a week, than a game that sucks for 4 months...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
vehn said:

Yeah, but you played it a lot for that week. If you platinum'd it, you played the game for probably at least 15 hours. If you truly enjoyed those 15 hours, then I'm sure it was worth it.

We really need to get out of the mindset that more hours= more value. That's sometimes true and sometimes not.

O.DOGG

This game is incredible. I haven't been this engrossed in a game in a long time. I will probably play it over again, it's so much fun.

Barso said:

Am I the only one who actually thinks the PhysX detract from the game? At least from the demo, that's the impression I got. The tiles breaking when you land look amazing, but the papers fluttering around, the breaking of the pillars, the police tape, the banners... None of them seemed to behave realistically, and every time one of those things moved it sucked me out of the game. With the high quality animations and graphics, something about the way they moved/interacted seemed strange. The other thing is, the objects all really stuck out. They SEEMED like they were added just to create the illusion an interactive environment, but to me that almost just highlighted the fact that the rest of the environment was basically completely static. The volumetric fog effects were nice, but I hardly even noticed they were there.

I already ordered it for the PC, since I can get a better resolution, more stable frame rate, AA, and Vsync going on, but I think I'm going to leave the PhysX effects off.

SlickVic

Ephemeris said:
That's the only reference I can recall, sadly. :/ If I remember correctly it was when you're about to sneak and rescue
Gordon

Couldn't they just be talking about
Oracle/Batgirl
? I've only played the demo but unless they said something more specific hinting to Robin, not sure if it's a reference to him.

Anyways I can't wait to play this game. Order from Amazon for PC version allegedly shipped Sunday but the USPS tracking doesn't have an info. Ordered something else from Amazon on Monday and it's already coming tomorrow via UPS. Both with free shipping but I guess it just goes to show what a crapshoot Amazon's free shipping is these days.

Sykra

Just got my platinum, amazing game. It was actually fun to collect riddler's trophies and stuff since the story that followed em was awesome. Great gameplay, iconic bosses... all around great!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
gaf, I need some help

I've defeated Croc and I need to head back to the batcave. but I saved the game & stopped a while ago and in picking it back up, I forgot how to get back to Croc's lair and the batcave. I've currently backtracked all over the intensive treatment center and can't remember how to get back to croc's lair or the batcave. what's up?

Atleast I'm picking up some riddler trophies along the way.

IcedTea

xKilltheMx said:
Can anyone confirm if they get better performance on the PC Retail version over the Demo?
I haven't noticed, but the game always ran super smooth on my 4850, and AA wasn't supported until the new Cat 9.9s so I never had any AA in the demo. Still get over 50fps average at 1080p at high settings with 4xAA on retail, so it certainly doesn't run any worse.

Varna

xKilltheMx said:
Can anyone confirm if they get better performance on the PC Retail version over the Demo?

I can confirmed the exact opposite. Seems to run a bit worse. With everything maxed, x4 AA at 1080p. It never went below 40 and even if it did it never felt like it was chugging. The retail version while still running at a similar frame-rate seems to hit these stuttering spots that I really don't like.

I ended up turning off AA. Even without it the image quality is still really clean and it's running at 60 frames most of the time.

Nvidia 9800GTX+ here.

LiK

vehn said:

new DLC tomorrow o_O

SpeedingUptoStop said:
gaf, I need some help

I've defeated Croc and I need to head back to the batcave. but I saved the game & stopped a while ago and in picking it back up, I forgot how to get back to Croc's lair and the batcave. I've currently backtracked all over the intensive treatment center and can't remember how to get back to croc's lair or the batcave. what's up?

Atleast I'm picking up some riddler trophies along the way.

Head to the bottom of the Lift shaft I think its down there

I haven't been able to play this for the past few days because of work and I find myself actually missing the combat challenge rooms. Hopefully I'll be able to get them finished up this weekend.

Hyunkel6

HiResDes said:
Some of these skins for the PC version look pretty sweet, I'm particularly partial to the classic skins.

Some of them are really impressive. Please make them available as
free
dlc for the console versions. I might actually do a fourth playthrough if new skins are available for story mode.

vehn

so not sure if it was mentioned, but at the very end of the game in the last cutscene,

when Gordon turns off the radio to the police car, does the radio say that two-face aka. Harvey Dent is attacking something? Could of swore I heard harvey dent and then he turned it off..

LiK

vehn said:
so not sure if it was mentioned, but at the very end of the game in the last cutscene,

when Gordon turns off the radio to the police car, does the radio say that two-face aka. Harvey Dent is attacking something? Could of swore I heard harvey dent and then he turned it off..

he said harvey dent aka two-face is robbing a bank
instant sequel first mission, imo. :)

jdogmoney said:
Gah. Not having an Xbox in my dorm is killing me. I'm on my second playthrough, but only on the weekends.

Buy another! They are only $200 now. I know that might be difficult to do as a student though...

Wesker

Plot question:

How the Joker discovered the Titan formula?

Batman destroys the notes in the library, and Dr Young says to Batman that Joker is not dangerous without the hidden formula (after the defeat of Zsasz ).

But Batman intterupt her saying.. "Now Joker has the Venom and the formula"

Top Bottom