• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Gotta say the Physx stuff is really cool on the PC version. The demo doesn't do the effects nearly enough justice.

For example, when you're about to face
Scarecrow for the first time and are walking down that hallway with the bugs crawling up the walls, the tiles on the wall break off as you walk past them. Really cool. Also,in the actual "battle", there's a wall that isn't there in the PS3/360 versions... but as soon as you walk past it, it breaks apart to reveal the walls that you have to crouch behind (the ones present in the 360/PS3 versions). The bricks that broke off then circle around Scarecrow during the battle and even provide some shade if you time it right.

So yeah, pretty cool stuff so far. Can't wait to see what else they got.

Does GFWL crash for anyone else when trying to install the update? It's pissing me off, I can't play when connected to Live now because the update is mandatory.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems that the update is quite big but the progress zooms to the end and then stops. Will have to leave it running for however long I guess.

MMaRsu

Nachkebia said:
First and mostly because of camera and controls, I generally don`t like third person games except Mass Effect and Gears of wars series ah Uncharted as well....

What was wrong with the controls and the camera then? I personally never had any problems with either..

HiResDes

Hyunkel6 said:
Some of them are really impressive. Please make them available as
free
dlc for the console versions. I might actually do a fourth playthrough if new skins are available for story mode.
Here are some that weren't on the first page of the Eidos forum:

Justice Lords Batman:
Jsl_by_imjustbored.png

The Dark Knight Batsuit:
dkenhanced001.jpg

Blue Line Batman:
The-Worlds-Finest-Batman-1.jpg

Captain America Batman:
shippingpcbmgame2009081k.jpg

Alex Ross' Batman:
clipboard01kih.jpg

clipboard01eej.jpg

Bearded Batman:
BeardedBatman.jpg

Wolvy/Joker Batman:
JokerizedBatman.jpg

Batman Beyond:
sanstitre-f529dc672.bmp

beyondp3-ad51852081.bmp

Alt Batman Beyond:
batmanbeyond3-98f2155c55.bmp

batmanbeyond1-ed407e835.bmp

Lothars

Well I ended up with the PC version as well but mainly because I found out the Nvidia Vouchers work on Steam and bought the voucher from someone and was able to use it on Steam.

I haven't installed it yet and probably won't until I buy my New PC but I look forward to playing it with mods.

I am also replaying the game on Hard on the 360 and I'm just on my way to
Killer Croc's Lair
but I have to say it hasn't been that hard so far, even the
Bane Boss Fight
took a couple tries but it wasn't' that bad.

I need to max out the rest of the challenges on my Normal Save to get 100% but I am at like 92%, I t still is a great game and I think some of my favorite parts are the Pedator Challenges.

Minamu

BeautifulMemory said:
lol me too actually...I should be going to sleep now.

But hey, Bats are nocturnal, right Mr. Wayne?
Haha yes they are ^^ Makes me think of when Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs almost suffocated from the bat feces fumes in a cave :lol

Dascu

Baloonatic said:
Does GFWL crash for anyone else when trying to install the update? It's pissing me off, I can't play when connected to Live now because the update is mandatory.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems that the update is quite big but the progress zooms to the end and then stops. Will have to leave it running for however long I guess.
I'm having the same issue. If I leave it on for a while, it eventually just stops and says the connection dropped.

Dascu said:
I'm having the same issue. If I leave it on for a while, it eventually just stops and says the connection dropped.

Well it worked for me eventually, I just alt-tabbed out and did something else. Dunno about your connection problem though :(

Dascu

Baloonatic said:
Well it worked for me eventually, I just alt-tabbed out and did something else. Dunno about your connection problem though :(
What does the update do exactly? If it's not worth it, I won't bother trying to fix this issue.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
what are you dudes running physx on normal or high? on the demo i was getting about 45 fps on high at max and 55-60 on normal at max so tough decision perhaps.

HiResDes

AstroLad said:
what are you dudes running physx on normal or high? on the demo i was getting about 45 fps on high at max and 55-60 on normal at max so tough decision perhaps.
not really, 45FPS is more than playable, especially for this game.

Dascu

MMaRsu said:
Why would you not want an update?
I couldn't connect properly. I kept getting an error message.

Note the past tense: I looked up the error message and, after installing a little update for windows xp, I didn't have the issue anymore. Woohoo, problem solved! Installing update and downloading DLC now.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but is there a reason why PhysX isn't in the PS3/360 version?

Anyway, holy crap at the skins. Batman Beyond looks freakin' sweet. Expecting a Darkclaw mod eventually. :D

HiResDes

Crewnh said:
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but is there a reason why PhysX isn't in the PS3/360 version?

Anyway, holy crap at the skins. Batman Beyond looks freakin' sweet. Expecting a Darkclaw mod eventually. :D
Its Nvidia exclusive, and although the PS3 has a Nvidia processor it doesn't support it, would probably be too much for it to handle anyway.

Minamu

It's up on PSN it seems. Was just a bit hard to see on the EU store because it's not placed in the correct order o_O New stuff is usually at teh top of the list but not this. Downloading now.

Is it just me or does detective mode take a lot away from the game, visually. I mean, hell... I want to stay in detective mode perpetually to avoid missing false walls and stuff and half of the beauty of the game is just passing by whenever it's on.

It's pretty much a play the first time through without giving a shit about finding any of the secrets and then play again as Sherlock Holmes fiasco.

LiK

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Is it just me or does detective mode take a lot away from the game, visually. I mean, hell... I want to stay in detective mode perpetually to avoid missing false walls and stuff and half of the beauty of the game is just passing by whenever it's on.

It's pretty much a play the first time through without giving a shit about finding any of the secrets and then play again as Sherlock Holmes fiasco.

once you beat the game and you're simply backtracking for riddles, you can turn it off and fully enjoy the world in normal mode. so pretty and creepy (in some locations)

HiResDes said:
Its Nvidia exclusive, and although the PS3 has a Nvidia processor it doesn't support it, would probably be too much for it to handle anyway.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1237287245570.html

SANTA CLARA, CA—MARCH 17, 2009—NVIDIA Corporation today announced that it has signed a tools and middleware license agreement for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) with Sony Computer Entertainment Inc (SCEI). As a result, the binary version of the NVIDIA® PhysX® technology software development kit (SDK) is now available to registered PS3 developers for free download and use on the SCEI Developer Network.

Hmm, uhh... anybody notice the back cover of the AA box has an nVidia physX logo?

LiK

FYI for the cool Scarecrow part after i replayed the games:

when you get the fake game crash, i saw two versions. one on each playthrough. one was a pinkinsh stactic look while the other was the green blocks with broken fragments. i got the green blocks first and i thought that version was more effective cuz the sound broke up way more and lasted a lil longer than the pink static version. i guess if you guys wanna try it out, maybe try restarting the game in that spot and see if you see the other versions.
pretty cool. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
SpeedingUptoStop said:
gaf, I need some help

I've defeated Croc and I need to head back to the batcave. but I saved the game & stopped a while ago and in picking it back up, I forgot how to get back to Croc's lair and the batcave. I've currently backtracked all over the intensive treatment center and can't remember how to get back to croc's lair or the batcave. what's up?

Atleast I'm picking up some riddler trophies along the way.
Leaving Croc's place you should have went right which will lead you back to the sewers, which is where you came out after first visiting the batcave.

Yanno...if they had included unlockable costumes IN the game, I'd still be playing through it each time with a new costume.

What happened to unlockables?

Dead Space?

Arkham Asylum?

Bioshock?

I'm looking at you.

LiK

bigdaddygamebot said:
Yanno...if they had included unlockable costumes IN the game, I'd still be playing through it each time with a new costume.

What happened to unlockables?

Dead Space?

Arkham Asylum?

Bioshock?

I'm looking at you.

you just listed most of my fave games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Someone already managed to 3* the new Predator in 1 minute. Took me about 4. Damn staircase takedown, requires some precise timing

LiK said:
you just listed most of my fave games.

And they are generally considered "great".

The gameplay stands so well on it's own that even if they just had simple unlockables that affected things only on a cosmetic level, I would still be playing through these games repeatedly.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
bigdaddygamebot said:
Yanno...if they had included unlockable costumes IN the game, I'd still be playing through it each time with a new costume..

I'd have liked costumes, or even better, making-off type stuff, but most of my time spent with the game has gone into the challenge mode.

I think they're a great compromise- i've sunk right into them, and with the promise of DLC hopefully they'll be keeping me pretty busy. After that, there's always completing the story again on Hard.

RichardAM said:
I'd have liked costumes, or even better, making-off type stuff, but most of my time spent with the game has gone into the challenge mode.

I think they're a great compromise- i've sunk right into them, and with the promise of DLC hopefully they'll be keeping me pretty busy. After that, there's always completing the story again on Hard.

I played through the game on Hard first, then coasted through it a second time on normal.

I'm just not enjoying the challenge mode for some reason. Mayhap I need to really sit down and force myself to do the challenges...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, using the explosive gel makes stealth challenges waaaay too easy.:lol

"He got one!, everybody gather around!" BOOM! *takedown* *takedown* *takedown* *batarang* *takedown* :lol

Top Bottom