• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

LiK

bigdaddygamebot said:
I played through the game on Hard first, then coasted through it a second time on normal.

I'm just not enjoying the challenge mode for some reason. Mayhap I need to really sit down and force myself to do the challenges...

when you're going for gold, the challenges become pretty epic. beating tough challenges like Shock and Awe (Extreme) was fantastic.

witness

So I guess downloading the dlc off the euro store for my NA game doesn't work eh cause I can't find the content now in the game :lol

Minamu

Rank 43 on the new combat map :D 675XX points. I hate insane inmates with a passion now... Still can't get more than 10k on the Scarecrow map. Haven't managed a single batarang on teh other map though :( Hard stuff.

I think I've given up on the challenges after trying to get this 3 walls 3 goons requirement, started to drive me crazy as the last one I required kept walking away from the fucking wall just as I wanted him to charge on through, and the sonar bat kept attracting the wrong one arrgrhrggrhrgghr

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
MMaRsu said:
Holy shit those insane inmates are hard to kill when you're in a freeflow combo :(

Yeah and instant takedowns don't work on them. Moreover, one of these failed attempts ends your combo. I'm not a big fan of this particular challenge :lol

GQman2121

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
I think I've given up on the challenges after trying to get this 3 walls 3 goons requirement, started to drive me crazy as the last one I required kept walking away from the fucking wall just as I wanted him to charge on through, and the sonar bat kept attracting the wrong one arrgrhrggrhrgghr

Don't forget about the breakable wall that is above the desk on the south east end of where you start. You can hop up on it and spray the gel on the ceiling!

Joei

SecretBonusPoint said:

That's actually the last challange I need to 100% percent the game. I haven't completed it yet, but I have saw a few spots that are good for using the gel. As GQ said, one is above where you start, all the way at the top below the vent. You can spray the roof and it'll knock a guy out if he's under it. The other spot I'm going to use is on the bottom level where the one guy always stands. I'm having an issue on where to put the last spray gel at though. After that it pretty much becomes a waiting game. :/

Dave1988

Here's a little tip for the Insane night challenge room: Vaulting over enemies and quick batarangs are your friends. I love this challenge. Since it's an endless wave of enemies all gloves are off; I don't have to worry that the guy might not survive the next strike, who was countered and still has some life, etc. It's kinda liberating that I can go and just beat the living shit out of lunatics without any order or tactic.

vehn

so once you install the new DLC, where do you go to play it? I looked in challenges and DLC but nothing was there. FTIW I downloaded the UK version and installed it to my US disc, though I don't see how different regions would affect it

Anybody notice how Batman goes from one gargoyle to another in the new open air predator map? Look in the sky when he does that, for he is The Batman. :lol

It makes me sad that they made achievements for the challenge modes. I started with Hard right off the bat and 100 percent completed the story mode and it's extremely disappointing to see I can't get all the achievements from doing so. The challenges are fine to give people something extra to do and aspire towards, but it should be painfully obvious that many would not find them fun. To think, I can get through the whole game on Hard mode on the first try without any difficulty by using 3 hit combos and counters all game and then come into a challenge mode and learn that I must teach myself some long never ending combination combo just to get a high score is frustrating. Isn't it FAR more impressive to never get hit? It' blows me away how little you get for the perfect knight bnous. I know it doesn't matter, but I'm an achievement whore and it's just lame when achievements are put in secondary game modes. The fight challenges just suck all the fun out of the game when you're forced to play a certain way, quite the opposite of the main game. I could completely disassociate this mode from the game if not for achievements being linked to it. I will confess I found the stealth portions ten times more enjoyable throughout the game anyway. Predator is much better, you still have choices in how to get around the room and setup takedowns, fight challenges are just a combo fest.

Minamu

vehn said:
so once you install the new DLC, where do you go to play it? I looked in challenges and DLC but nothing was there. FTIW I downloaded the UK version and installed it to my US disc, though I don't see how different regions would affect it
Well you better see it, 'cause that's your problem :lol DLC = region locked 99% of the time. Give or take.

Joei

Finally finished Silent Knight Extreme! Getting those 3 gels set up and having them walk by them all was a pain. I had to keep using Sonar Batarangs for the top level one under the top level one to get a guy to walk under the roof, and when I did that there'd be no one by the gel I had under the long passageway. It took me about a minute to spray the gels I wanted, while waiting for everyone to line up took about 10 min.

I only have four achievements left to 1k this game and I'm kind of confused on two of them. First, what exactly is mano-a-mano? What kind of beast is it talking about? I've fought everything in this game that I can think of. Also, how the heck do you catch a batarang? lol

steadfast

Joei said:
Finally finished Silent Knight Extreme! Getting those 3 gels set up and having them walk by them all was a pain. I had to keep using Sonar Batarangs for the top level one under the top level one to get a guy to walk under the roof, and when I did that there'd be no one by the gel I had under the long passageway. It took me about a minute to spray the gels I wanted, while waiting for everyone to line up took about 10 min.

I only have four achievements left to 1k this game and I'm kind of confused on two of them. First, what exactly is mano-a-mano? What kind of beast is it talking about? I've fought everything in this game that I can think of. Also, how the heck do you catch a batarang? lol

Mano a Mano is fighting a titan-goon (the ones that look and act like bane) without using batarang to stun

For the catch, use the remote batarang -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6t9GPPJGX8&feature=player_embedded

Joei

steadfast said:
Mano a Mano is fighting a titan-goon (the ones that look and act like bane) without using batarang to stun

For the catch, use the remote batarang -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6t9GPPJGX8&feature=player_embedded

Ah snaps, that Titan one is going to be a pain because my next play through is going to be on Hard to get the biggest bang achievement.

EDIT- Oh wait, I can just try on one of the challanges, that should be easy enough. And thanks for the Catch! tip, can't believe I didn't think of that.

Minamu

Joei said:
Ah snaps, that Titan one is going to be a pain because my next play through is going to be on Hard to get the biggest bang achievement.
Challenge rooms :) There's a lone titan on one of the later maps together with about 10 regulars. Just kill those first.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For mano a mano trophy, I did it in the challenge room. Once all the guards are taken down, lay some explosive gel down in the corner and draw the titan towards it. The gel will stun him, allowing you to beat his entire life bar away and get the trohpy.

Krelian

SecretBonusPoint said:
It's actually easy to get this requirement. If you're fast enough you can do it in the first two minutes. Use the first gel on the breakable floor/ceiling near your starting point (to the east), then quickly go up to the breakable ceiling in the south west of the map and finally to the northern wall. Grapple up to the air ducts above you and you should already see all three guys approaching the right position. It worked every time I tried it.

Tip for mano a mano: In a room with two Titans, line it up so that they charge at each other, and also ride 'em around and get them to hit each other. It's actually really easy to get the trophy/achievement this way (I did it on Hard, and I'm not even that good at the game!)

vehn

Snuggler said:
Any impressions on the DLC? It will be several hours till I can play it, I need details .

The challenge one is in a small room from the records place, and it just pours wave after wave of regular goons on you while mixing it up every now and then with the lunatic enemies (who you can only kill be ground takedowns). Current leader has like 440,000 points and the #2 guy has 130,000 -_-

The stealth one is a new room (pretty sure it isnt in the regular game at all) and you have to hook a guy down from a ladder, inverted takedown a guy through glass, and kill a certain inmate dressed in red last. Its pretty fun and theirs plenty of grates and vents to hide in and sneak around

Cipher

StickyFingers said:
Anybody notice how Batman goes from one gargoyle to another in the new open air predator map? Look in the sky when he does that, for he is The Batman. :lol

I didn't even notice that. :lol

Done the 3 Gel takedown. Stuck on the last Silent Predator one now, trying to take 3 duders down with batclaw off a railing. Hard to get them all up there at all, even harder to get 3 falls out of it. The other 2 requirements for it should be easy, but clearly you have to do this one first and I keep failing. Really enjoying these challenges, hating the brawl ones, especially the time limit shock and awe one. Unenjoyable shit.

Ri'Orius

SecretBonusPoint said:
Done the 3 Gel takedown. Stuck on the last Silent Predator one now, trying to take 3 duders down with batclaw off a railing. Hard to get them all up there at all, even harder to get 3 falls out of it. The other 2 requirements for it should be easy, but clearly you have to do this one first and I keep failing. Really enjoying these challenges, hating the brawl ones, especially the time limit shock and awe one. Unenjoyable shit.

Specific strategy for the triple-claw takedown:
Climb up the ledge above the doorway, zipline to the left (normally I'd take the gargoyle, but there's dynamite on him). Use the Sonic Batarang to hit the guy across the way on a ledge and take him down. Three guys will come to investigate their fallen friend: get 'em all with Da Claw.

Less spoilery hint:

Down someone near a ledge and take out the guys who come to investigate.

Tip for mano a mano: In a room with two Titans, line it up so that they charge at each other, and also ride 'em around and get them to hit each other. It's actually really easy to get the trophy/achievement this way (I did it on Hard, and I'm not even that good at the game!)

I preferred my strategy:
Hit him with an Explosive Gel mine. It'll put him into a stun a la batarang, but you still can get the trophy. Also, do it in one of the challenge rooms that involves a single Titan: save him for last, and you'll only have to take out one health bar instead of all three.

Joei

SecretBonusPoint said:

Actually, I did that one second. The first one I did was take down the 2 guys by collapsing the roof. If you wait for an opportunity you can sneak down into the bottom level then take the vent that leads directly under the control room. What I did for the 3 batclaw was throw a sonic batarang right by the ladder on the far left side then when he guy comes to take it out I knocked him out. I then hid on the bottom level and waited for the guys to come and check him out then pulled them down that way.

LiK

finally checked out the new DLC. got 50k in my first few tries, will try more later. forgot that only ground pound can take out the crazy dudes.

the #1 guy on the 360 has over 3 million points, lol

I'm wondering how long this game is and don't wanna read too much of the thread for spoilarz. I've got no interest in doing all of the Riddler nonsense, just wanna blast through main story.

LiK

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm wondering how long this game is and don't wanna read too much of the thread for spoilarz. I've got no interest in doing all of the Riddler nonsense, just wanna blast through main story.

the Riddler nonsense gives you a ton of EXP which is useful for upgrades in the main story. and not only that, it also unlocks all the bios/challenge rooms etc. they incorporated them pretty well into the main game. kinda hard to avoid unless you really don't care.

if this is you're first playthrough, then it'll take 8-12 hours depending on how much Riddler stuff you wanna go after.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
OMG

Killer Croc grabbing the titan after the credits sequence!

are the other sequences? do they depend on how well you did?

Kard8p3

So the DLC seems to be pretty cool. I like how they mix up the combat challenge with the crazy dudes. I also really like the layout of the stealth section.

Did anyone else check out the new joker theme on the PS3? I'm thinking it's pretty cool and you get a quick joker laugh every time you go back from whatever icon you're in.

Just got this installed and running on my PC. Looks great and plays like a dream. However, I see no PhysX options. The demo had them but when I start the launcher and go to settings nothing. I uninstalled the demo earlier today. Did it uninstall PhysX too?

Im missing 1 set of joker teeth in the mansion and looked everywhere for them and cant find them, its the last riddle I have left. Any tips or am I basically fucked.

Outtrigger888 said:
Im missing 1 set of joker teeth in the mansion and looked everywhere for them and cant find them, its the last riddle I have left. Any tips or am I basically fucked.

2nd floor in the Warden's Office.

Angst

Outtrigger888 said:
Don't look for them - listen instead and you will hear their annoring clatter and know they're nearby.

Top Bottom