• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Maybe I am rusty but I cant figure out the new predator map. I can get all three in 2 minutes, maybe bring it down to a minute 30 but I cant figure how to get into the top spots like a normaly do. Grrr.

Varna

Finished this game earlier today. What an incredible experience. My only real complaint is that the last two boss battles are not early as good as the others. They felt like pretty generic encounters to be honest.
Also why the fuck am I forced to setup a live account? I also bought a Xbox 360 controller for windows and though it is great, there is no manual shut-off button! You either have to let it idle for 20 minutes, take out the battery pack or turn it off in a windows live enabled game (then you have to use your keyboard to exit out of the program).

Played it on hard mode... missed like three challenges because I did not feel like going through a few maps to find those annoying chattering teeth.

Wag

I just got the full PC version today. Unlike the demo I am unable to find anywhere to adjust PhysX settings even though I have a GTX 295. Anyone?

jrricky

Banned
OK, so I just started playing this. What the hell is Riddler talking about with Warden and Sharp?

EDIT:OK the riddler is pissing me off.
witness said:
Look for that gigantic picture of him on the wall and scan it
He was giving the hints but I couldnt find it...and I just happen upon a few seconds ago and it was right infront (beside) me. Im such a dumbass...

GWX

Wag said:
I just got the full PC version today. Unlike the demo I am unable to find anywhere to adjust PhysX settings even though I have a GTX 295. Anyone?

There's an update for using PhysX, called "version 1.1"...
Search for it.

Haunted

Rez said:
oh god, the hype is getting crazy.

just a few more hours until my cap is reset and I can download this from Steam
I went in super skeptical after the demo but the game pretty much blew me away. Yes, it really is that good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally it's out on the PC!

It actually came out yesterday in my region, but I was busy with work and didn't get a chance to play. I just put in a few hours now (I am a little bit past the
Bane
fight) and damn this game is good.

The pacing has been amazing so far and I am having a lot of fun with the riddles and other collectibles. The free flow combat is just a ton of fun. I hope other developers mimic this type of combat in the future. Regarding the graphics, I think this might be the best implementation yet of the UE3 engine. Nothing really feels 'off' like so many other non-Epic UE3 games.

Anyway, I'm going to go back and play some more. I loved the demo and have greatly anticipated the game ever since and I am really enjoying it now that I have the full version.

jrricky

Banned
Darunia said:
no, all the riddler stuff is completely optional. they do give a nice amount of exp though
Thats not what I meant, sorry. What I meant was if I have to get some new gadgets to go back and solve the riddles. Also do the riddles always have the "?" mark near the solution?

Wag

GWX said:
There's an update for using PhysX, called "version 1.1"...
Search for it.
Actually, I figured it out. You need to type your registration key from the game into Games For Windows Live in order to log in and bring up the download- along with this if you are logged into games for Windows live you will get best scores for the game on challenge maps, and all the benefits goes along with GFWL, etc, etc.. All those BS downloads from the web that you find while searching are for pirated versions.

Nemesis_

Umm, so I just entered the Visitor's Centre and the game went all 2D and there's this creepy Joker puppet.

Is this relevant or some kinda weird easter egg? >_>

No spoilers if possible >_>

Poison Ivy is hot

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Nemesis556 said:
Umm, so I just entered the Visitor's Centre and the game went all 2D and there's this creepy Joker puppet.

Is this relevant or some kinda weird easter egg? >_>

No spoilers if possible >_>

Poison Ivy is hot
It will become very relevant. :D

Volcynika

Been playing this game a bit off and on lately, trying to work through the challenge maps.

Just need to figure out how to get 3 medals on the rest of the extreme combat maps and the original Shock and Awe, and how to do the extreme silent predator maps + the last regular one. Oy!

jrricky

Banned
I found the riddle about questions but it keeps telling me it is not aligned, WTF?

EDIT: Solved! Like, damn....lol, thats a crazy riddle...

Nemesis_

I've only had two Scarecrow encounters, but I'm not that sure if that's it - will I know for sure when Scarecrow is "gone"? >_>

jrricky

Banned
So I am reading up on the Bane facts and it says he broke Batman's spine and he recovered. Can you actually recover from a broken spine? I thought you would be crippled if any such thing happened??...???

I may be one of the few not disappointed with the ending at all.

Joker and Batman both walk the same fine line of insanity, but they are on different sides. The Joker always wants Batman to 'lose it' - to finally step into full madness. If Batman transformed after the Titan injection, it would mean he not only lost control to the Joker but lost control of his sanity as well. That would be the win for Joker. By resisting the change, Batman wins - even before the final boss fight and Joker knows it. That's why he injects himself. Kind of an, 'oh well, I lost' moment of frustration and anger.

Arkham Asylum may feel a bit 'gamey' in the end, but Paul Dini did a terrific job with the characters. It is an amazing game and an outstanding Batman story in its own right.

To those of you discovering the game now, for the first time.. enjoy it. It's a breathtaking experience.

jrricky said:
So I am reading up on the Bane facts and it says he broke Batman's spine and he recovered. Can you actually recover from a broken spine? I thought you would be crippled if any such thing happened??...???

Medically speaking, it depends how much damage is done to the nerves the spine protects.

Comically speaking, he's the god damn Batman.

SpeedingUptoStop

O.DOGG said:
So, what's wrong with the ending? I liked it. It was fitting.
something about Joker becoming a giant Titan freak kind of irked me. Like it just wasn't Joker I was fighting anymore. It was weird. I had fun with it, but something about it seemed off out of character. I can't really explain it.

Joei

Won said:
I love nitpicking games, but so far I can't find anything wrong with this one. That can't be right. :lol

I really like this game, even the boss battles, yet the one thing that I can nitpick about this game is the ragdoll effect. It's something I read about and noticed when I played the PS3 demo back in March/April'ish. It wasn't something I paid too much attention to but saw when I played the demo in August, yet overlooked because of how awesome the game is otherwise. Those guys sometimes just flail around like little school girls when you hit them. I mean, seriously, come on

SpeedingUptoStop

Joei said:
I really like this game, even the boss battles, yet the one thing that I can nitpick about this game is the ragdoll effect. It's something I read about and noticed when I played the PS3 demo back in March/April'ish. It wasn't something I paid too much attention to but saw when I played the demo in August, yet overlooked because of how awesome the game is otherwise. Those guys sometimes just flail around like little school girls when you hit them. I mean, seriously, come on
haha, I love ragdoll glitching. It's hilarious.

My negatives?

A couple too many Titan fights, none of which ever matched the Bane fight.

Poison ivy's little pods were just annoying filler. Walk up, punch, keep walking. Lame.

Killer Croc's level was a great lead-in to a Killer Croc fight you never get. :[

The joker going titan at the end was just kinda weird, I can't really explain why. Maybe because, he's spent all this time playing mind games with you, and now he was to go head to head in a fight? I dunno. something was off about it. Although the idea of Batman, or even Gordon, going Titan was pretty damn creepy. That was effective.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
something about Joker becoming a giant Titan freak kind of irked me. Like it just wasn't Joker I was fighting anymore. It was weird. I had fun with it, but something about it seemed off out of character. I can't really explain it.

I felt the same. Joker doesn't seem like the type to fight you like that, but I also didn't like the ending from a gameplay perspective. He turns into that to fight you but then he never actually does. And then the way you actually damage him...urg. Why the hell would he keep turning his back? For something he was planning for months, it makes no sense to be a complete dumbfuck there.

jrricky

Banned
LiK said:
you should go back outside...
Ya figured that out a long time ago, I actually thought I was going crazy cause when I opened the door, I blinked for a while and then I noticed that I was in the same room. I was like 'WTF, my eyes' :lol . The Boss
(bane)
was great too, and i guess this isnt the last time Ill see Scarecrow...?

LiK

jrricky said:
Ya figured that out a long time ago, I actually thought I was going crazy cause when I opened the door, I blinked for a while and then I noticed that I was in the same room. I was like 'WTF, my eyes' :lol . The Boss
(bane)
was great too, and i guess this isnt the last time Ill see Scarecrow...?

heh, don't worry, Scarecrow wants to meet again.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Got all the combat challenges completed last night, all done- now working on the silent predator challenges.

Stupid question- regarding the "use all of Batman's moves in one combo" trophy what exactly is that? Obviously there's attack, counter, throw, takedown, ground pound and evade but am I missing anything else? I thought I would've had it long before now if that was the case?

Really love this game, finished it on normal and now about half way through hard. Very good story IMO and was such a joy to play.

The only trophies i have left now are the hard finish and those bastard freeflow chalenges :lol I cant get good enough scores to get all 3 medals for a few and shock and awsome (extreme) and the last one are real pains to even finsh let alone while i am worrying on how my score is doing.

I hope i can get these as i really want that Batman Platinum :D

Also really enjoyed the new DLC, great predator mission and the endless freeflow chalenge is very fun (except for the damn crazy's).

SlickVic

BigJonsson said:
Just beat the game

I loved it

I can't believe a licensed game turned out so so so well :D

I hear nothing but praise for this game which is quite amazing. Makes me sad I can't play the game (PC version) yet. I didn't realize Amazon started using FedEx SmartPost (lol) for free shipping order which takes a good 10 days to arrive. This thing is like USPS Media Mail but with a tracking number so you can witness how exactly they manage to take over a week to deliver an item 50 miles away :lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
any time between now and two hours from now, my cap resets, and this game will be mine

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dirtyshubb said:
Also really enjoyed the new DLC, great predator mission and the endless freeflow chalenge is very fun (except for the damn crazy's).

Countering their attack resets the combo right? Or am I doing it wrong? When I counter them, they vault over me and multiplier goes back to 1.

TTP said:
Well, I said countering. Doesn't that reset the multiplier to you?

No, if you counter them then Batman should pick them up and then throw them to the floor. You must be trying to use the instant takedown or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Baloonatic said:
No, if you counter them then Batman should pick them up and then throw them to the floor. You must be trying to use the instant takedown or something.

Ah ok. Will double check it. Thanks.

Top Bottom