• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Minamu

RichardAM said:
Got all the combat challenges completed last night, all done- now working on the silent predator challenges.

Stupid question- regarding the "use all of Batman's moves in one combo" trophy what exactly is that? Obviously there's attack, counter, throw, takedown, ground pound and evade but am I missing anything else? I thought I would've had it long before now if that was the case?
You need to use batarangs, batclaw & cape stun as well. I think that's it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:
Have fun man!
cheers! I won't get to play it until tomorrow at this point, but I get the feeling that it's going to be one of those rare, unhealthy, but oh so good Sundays where all my family and friends are busy, and I'm left in a dark room with a shiny new video game to play for a few hours.

It's fun to geek out a bit sometimes. :D

edit: and apparently it's going to be raining tomorrow as well! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. :)

Tendo

What are the one shot trophies? I know the goons at the party is one, any other trophies I can't get once I go in? Any riddler rewards inside I must get then?

Won

Aaaaand finished up the storyline. What a great game.
Last part wasn't anything special, but thats probably for the better. This generation already had too many games with crappy "ambitious" endings.

Now back to finishing the Riddler stuff and the challenges. :D

Wag

Wow! I finally made it outside. All I can say is the PC version of the game on my GTX 295 with all the features maxed out (with ambient occlusion off) looks and runs amazing at 1080p on my 56" HDTV. What a totally beautiful game. I'm happy to have waited for the PC version (yes, I'm using a 360 wireless controller).

I guess having the Games for Windows Live Achievements and DLC are OK too (same as the 360 ones).

jett

D-Member
Okay...got this game for PC, I seemingly can't use my sixaxis with this game, it doesn't let me map the controls to the buttons of the controller. :/ First game I have a problem with this.

Wag

jett said:
Okay...got this game for PC, I seemingly can't use my sixaxis with this game, it doesn't let me map the controls to the buttons of the controller. :/ First game I have a problem with this.
Why even bother? I have a PS3 too- it's soo much easier to buy a 360 controller, plug it in and be done with it. Almost all games support it now, vibration and everything.

Varna

jett said:
Okay...got this game, I seemingly can't use my sixaxis with this game, it doesn't let me map the controls to the buttons of the controller. :/ First game I have a problem with this.

All Windows live titles have some bull shit gamepad support. They work fine with the Xbox 360 pad, but good luck with anything else.

http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/01/19/download-xbox-360-controller-emulator-for-pc-games/

Using this emulator should let you use your current pad... but you are going to have to spend some time configuring it.

jett

D-Member
Wag said:
Why even bother? I have a PS3 too- it's soo much easier to buy a 360 controller, plug it in and be done with it. Almost all games support it now, vibration and everything.

I bother because this way I don't spend $50. :p

varna: thanks but it seems like that didn't work. fuck microsoft and their LIVE bullshit.

Varna

jett said:
I bother because this way I don't spend $50. :p

varna: thanks but it seems like that didn't work. fuck microsoft and their LIVE bullshit.

That's too bad. I managed to get a good bit of the controls set up with the demo on my DS3... but I broke down and just bought 360 controller once the full game came out.

Yeah... and MS does some truly fucked up things.

LiK

Tendo said:
What are the one shot trophies? I know the goons at the party is one, any other trophies I can't get once I go in? Any riddler rewards inside I must get then?

the only other one is Noone Left Behind or something like that, but it's pretty hard to miss.

jett

D-Member
Varna said:
That's too bad. I managed to get a good bit of the controls set up with the demo on my DS3... but I broke down and just bought 360 controller once the full game came out.

Yeah... and MS does some truly fucked up things.

How did you manage to set it up, can you help me out here? It controls horribly with a keyboard, I really don't want to keep on playing like this.

Wag

You'll give in and buy a 360 controller...We all do in the end. That's the only way to get the full support. Just keep your eyes open for a deal(I think I got the whole Wireless for Windows package last year for $33). If you really don't want to shell out the $50, just pick up the wired version, it works fine.

DihcarEM

I didn't have any problem with the ending, i would however have liked it if
we fought plain-Joker before titan Joker in the end. The challenges do show that Joker can fight really well, not as good as Batman(nobody can) but still a worthy advesary. I do like this Joker more the the cartoon version who is too much of a joke and not threatning enough. But Nolan's Joker remains the ultimate match to Batman imo.
And also like some others have stated, the way we fought titan-Joker could have been better. I wanted to see batman level the playing field by compensating for Joker's supernatural strength with his own skills. Smarts,speed,agility,ect

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing with a keyboard, and once I set detective mod to middle click, I've had no problems with KB/M control.

I'm going to hold off on posting any impressions until I'm done (spoiler: the game is great). I just finished the
second Scarecrow encounter
, how far in am I?

Around what percentage complete do most people usually end up finishing the story at?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's about 60% at completion if you don't actively seek out Riddler challenges. It sounds like you're about halfway through.

How did you manage to set it up, can you help me out here? It controls horribly with a keyboard, I really don't want to keep on playing like this.

The DS3 might be tricky to set up, but a wired 360 controller could be worth the investment if you play alot of PC games.

jett said:
Assuming you have got the PS3 controller recognised and working. Do a search for 'Xinput' and copy the files into the game directory, it worked for me and I'm on x64t Vista :).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
It's about 60% at completion if you don't actively seek out Riddler challenges. It sounds like you're about halfway through.
cheers! this has been one of those games that I've sunk a a heap of hours into, and then felt guilty afterwards because I felt like I might be rushing through it.

jett

D-Member
darkpaladinmfc said:
Assuming you have got the PS3 controller recognised and working. Do a search for 'Xinput' and copy the files into the game directory, it worked for me and I'm on x64t Vista :).

Awesome it worked! Thanks. :)

BTW, purposely disabling AA on ATI cards is a huge, HUGE bitchmove. It doesn't even let you alter it in the config file.

How in the hell did you get the DS3 working with Vista 64? I've followed several guides, and installed some shady ass drivers, and the best I got was a non-responsive USB subsystem for it all.

Dammit Sony release some fucking drivers for this thing.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Kinda sucks I have to backtrack to get all the challenge rooms but oh well. Found some cool stuff like
the harvey dent posters + his bio. It seems they're gonna go with the split color suit deal, I really will love to see how that works out.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
EzLink said:
Man, screw this Gold members only exclusive bullshit. I can't download the Insane Night map pack :/

Even though it's free? Odd decision by MS.

I completed all the challenge rooms yesterday. I've got a few to do as the Joker and the most recent predator DLC. Apparently we're getting more free content though- the news ticker says something's coming this week. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, finally got my download from Steam and started this today- I had an interesting initial experience with a ton of graphical glitches, shadows that weren't showing up, blurring menus, bad framerate...

Then I realized I had left on my custom nHancer profile from Half-Life 2. Darn you, gaf HL2 replay thread.

Apparently Batman does not take kindly to 32xS supersampling, full transparency-AA and 16x anisotropic filtering. :p

Switched to just ingame settings and now am running 30+fps with all settings maxed and 16xQ AA.

Seems great so far. Didn't seem to expect it to start
with the arrest of the Joker
. The intro sort of reminded me of the Killing Joke, though I guess it's somewhat the opposite...

Feindflug

I finished the game yesterday and it was an awesome experience even though the boss battles were lacking - the idea to continue playing after you beat the game solving all riddles was great, though not being able to get some achievements like party pooper & mano-a-mano after the end of the game isn't very good...I
sent Riddle back to his "home sweet home"
but I still have the challenge maps to beat (and i suck hard at the freeflow).

Overall a really great game and worth every penny I spent on the LE. :)

BTW I have a code for Batman's Armored Suit (XBL), if anyone wants to trade with a Sgt. Johnson code for ODST just sent me a pm.

Feindflug said:
BTW I have a code for Batman's Armored Suit (XBL), if anyone wants to trade with a Sgt. Johnson code for ODST just sent me a pm.
Huh? The armored suit is in every game? Just complete it once.

Also, the new DLC Insane Nights is pretty nice. Really like the new combat challenge, the Predator one was just a bit too easy though.

Feindflug

Mr. Durden said:
Huh? The armored suit is in every game? Just complete it once.

Also, the new DLC Insane Nights is pretty nice. Really like the new combat challenge, the Predator one was just a bit too easy though.

Really? I didn't know..I have the armored suit from the start because the code came with my pre-order..I still have one spare code so if that's the case then I will give the code for free (no trade :p) if anyone still wants it.

Managed to finally beat my last freeflow challenge this morning so now all i have left to do is finish hard mode (about to go to
Crocs lair
so not too much to go beofre i get my Platinum) :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the PC version on normal this morning on normal difficulty. Goddamn what an awesome game. The game left me wanting more and thankfully there is still a lot left for me to do. I have about 80 Riddler collectibles left and I haven't even touched challenge mode. I also plan on going through the game again on hard difficulty. I think this might be my favorite game so far this year although Demon's Souls is tough to beat.

Okay...

How the hell did Ivy go and get injected by Joker during the time it took for me to walk from her room in the Botany to the front door? MAKES NO SENSE.

... Why the fuck does this place have a Botany in the first place

Haunted

I forgot to mention that Hamill's performance as Joker was out-fucking-standing.

Son of Godzilla said:
... Why the fuck does this place have a Botany in the first place
Plants are soothing for the mind.

Yeah, some of the AA facility design seems a bit fishy. Dunno if they've kept it close to the comics or invented this for the game or what.

vazel

Banned
It has a botanical garden because it used to be a private residence. Looks like the Arkham family was into flowers.

Just don't take Arkham Asylum having a garden building as canon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Listen to a lot of the Arkham recordings and some if it will make more sense.

Won

Shock and Awe extreme was a pain in the ass. Thankfully I was able to batman the third round with a flawless freeflow, making the fourth round easy going.
Only Rumble in the Jungle left. Don't want it to be over. :(

Edit: ARGRGL, 48k, screw that, worst game ever!

Edit2: 1000/1000! Wooo. Second game I did that and the first game I did it without any tricks. And it was incredible fun too!

Whoo, beaten. Was fun game. I didn't mind the ending at all. Well...
I thought the entire mutagen thing was pretty lame, so I didn't really care where it went. Batman fighting it off with willpower was pretty silly. The bossfight was fun enough. For all the trouble they went through making Joker much scarier than in the cartoon, they sure gave him a fucking terrible master plan.

This game had excellent pacing. Like, incredible. Each little section felt suitably epic while not dragging on for too long. I worship good pacing, as I tend to get bored pretty easily. The main game was great. The riddles were all lame, with the giant exception of the invisible ?s. Those were really cool, wish there were more.

None of the bosses were hard, but they made up by coming strong and fast. Harley and Scarecrow were so obviously the best. Croc was scary at first, and then you realize he's a complete joke. Ivy was stupid as hell.

Also I could have sworn Joker was taunting Batman about his childhood, I thought he didn't know he was Bruce? I guess it might have been a general "haha ur childhood" comment.

LiK

Son of Godzilla said:
Also I could have sworn Joker was taunting Batman about his childhood, I thought he didn't know he was Bruce? I guess it might have been a general "haha ur childhood" comment.

i think it was just a general taunt since you need to be somewhat fucked up to dress up as a Batman ;)

Minamu

Hellion said:
I've played this game since Launch and have never executed a throw...
I only tried it once or twice to check it out. I found it to be quite worthless unless you want to get the trophy or flawless combo bonus. Though it's kinda funny to throw guys into electric fences :lol

GQman2121

Banned
Varna said:
It's not all that useful... Instant take-down is way better. Throwing was only useful for me during the
Ivy
fight.

What? Throw and then R2+Triangle=badass.

You can pretty much hop from downed foe to down foe with your cape whipping in the wind while you knock guys out with single blows. It's actually a great way to start a combo in the challenge rooms.

Just 3-starred Shock n' Awe Extreme. Boy, you guys were right about how satisfying it is to nail that one.

Instant takedowns are my new bff. We're going out for a milkshake now, my treat.

LiK

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Just 3-starred Shock n' Awe Extreme. Boy, you guys were right about how satisfying it is to nail that one.

Instant takedowns are my new bff. We're going out for a milkshake now, my treat.

yea, toughest Challenge for me. i agree, felt so good to beat it.

Minamu

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
While we're here, anyone have any tips for Silent Knight Extreme? I can taste the Platinum :D
Youtube/trophyjunkie sites? :) Can't remember what you're supposed to do in that one :S

Top Bottom