• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Spike

Which UK gaffer is going to be the nicest person in the world and figure out a way to help me get this content on my Canadian Xbox? I assume that once it is on the unit, it will find it and start working.

Please help!

jrricky

Banned
Dammit! My piece o' shit 360 gave me an E71 error when I was going to finish this game off. It happened right after a damn automatic update too. :mad: Gonna have to live a couple months without the 360 since I just paid to get my Wii repaired after a summer hiatus.

Doesn't really bother me since Batman is the only game I would be playing for the rest of the year; what bothers me is that Batman is the only game I would have played for the rest of the year and now I cant finish it...

LiK

jrricky said:
Dammit! My piece o' shit 360 gave me an E71 error when I was going to finish this game off. It happened right after a damn automatic update too. :mad: Gonna have to live a couple months without the 360 since I just paid to get my Wii repaired after a summer hiatus.

Doesn't really bother me since Batman is the only game I would be playing for the rest of the year; what bothers me is that Batman is the only game I would have played for the rest of the year and now I cant finish it...

it's just fear gas!

Dirtyshubb said:
What are the trophies like for Infamous? I have had a quick look but just wanted to know if there are any hard ones to get.

To save time play the game on hard mode. But then again you will have to play the game twice anyway to get all of the trophies (because there are good and evil trophies) so if you want start off on normal go ahead. Hard mode wasn't particularly difficult for me, though.

Working on my next (evil) play through, skipping the extra side mission to do all the story ones. The hardest trophy is not hard at all it's just tedious and it involves collecting every blast shard in the city and there are 350 of them if I remember correctly.... I need like 7 more.

Ephemeris

pvp20090921.gif

Comic makes no sense, you can't even use your gadgets hanging upside down.
jrricky said:

Pay... to repair a 360... ? I dun understand.

Got this for the PC yesterday, and I've been loving the hell out of this. I knew I would ever since the demo came out, but man is this game awesome. This is everything that every licensed game ever made should have been. It's a beautiful love letter to the Batman mythos that treats everything with respect, manages to recreate the experience and make the player feel like they actually are Batman (no easy feat), and above all it's just a damn awesome game. Rocksteady really did an amazing job with this.

I've been playing this game so much I start seeing the real world in Detective Mode.

+ Tons of variety/Gameplay
+ Great feel to weapons
+ Boss Fights
+ Physics
+ Scarecrow
+ Mark Hamill

- Last Boss Fight
- Too many villains
- Detective Mode
- Kevin Conroy sucked at times

The game is pretty darn good looking but you have to use DM so much you miss out on it. I would have preferred something like ODST which is like a 50% overlay and outlines. That way you could see more of the prettiness.
Would have preferred less villains so they could have allowed for more Joker time and have a better build to each, but what the hell. It was still awesome.

Also, doing the combat challenges and good lord are they hard. Need Silver + Gold and the 40x Combo then we're 1000g for this baby.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The new challenge maps are a little underwhelming. I can't really complain, considering that they're free, but I do hope to get something more significant before they stop adding DLC to the same, even if I have to pay for it. Also, I hope that Rocksteady will make a few more Joker maps, playing as the Clown Prince is a blast but I've already beaten all the maps quite a few times.

witness

I really like the two new maps this week, much better than last week's IMO. The predator map isn't all that difficult, anytime I don't need to go on youtube and follow someone's walk through is an A+ in my book, and the combat challenge is a nice version of shock and awe. Really enjoyed the new ones and I got my Silver trophy for the predator challenges. I don't think I'll ever get it for the combat ones though.

I hope there is more DLC this year, I really would love a costume pack for story and challenge mode.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
posted this on the Idle Thumbs forums a few days ago, just some final-ish thoughts on the game:

I finished this earlier today, and really loved it.

I was a little luke-warm toward it during some of the beginning sections, but by the end of it I was understanding the praise the game had been getting.

some of the little touches toward the end of the game really elevated the game from good to great. for instance (minor situational spoiler, not story related),
I really loved it when the game had you return to intensive care, and complete that room from the demo, except without gargoyles. It really felt like the whole game had been a slow build to something like that, and when the training wheels were effectively removed and I was left to use all the techniques I'd learnt throughout the game without the safety net that was the ever so convenient gargoyles, the excellent design (movement, level design, enemy AI) really shone through.

oh, and maybe I'm alone, but it was nice to see the return of the old-school, pattern-based, boss fight. I could have done without
the constant barrage of Bane clones toward the end of the game,
but otherwise, they were mostly well done.

I get the feeling that this will be one of those games that I enjoy even more upon repeat playthroughs, like, for instance, Half-Life 2. Playing through games that are as well paced as this more than once nearly always makes me appreciate them even more.

Minamu

Rez said:
I really loved it when the game had you return to intensive care, and complete that room from the demo, except without gargoyles. It really felt like the whole game had been a slow build to something like that, and when the training wheels were effectively removed and I was left to use all the techniques I'd learnt throughout the game without the safety net that was the ever so convenient gargoyles, the excellent design (movement, level design, enemy AI) really shone through.
I totally cheated that section without trying to.
I just got on top of the roof & grappled guys off the ledges :lol Easiest room in the game because of that.
It was a bit scary before realizing that was possible though.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
murtaugh pseudo spoilage

Hey captain spoils, you should tag your spoiler. Do you have a spoiler on your car?

On a serious note, how in god's name do you do the combat challenges. I've done 2 but I can't do ones that aren't the 18,000.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
My friend explained the result of those Amadeus Arkham recordings....

man, that shit sounds dumb.
Explaitiate! I didn't feel like doing all the friggin riddler challenges, so I dint.

And in other Batman news: I got The Killing Joke from the library. It kinda sucked. Been too played out lately to make any impact.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Buckethead said:
I've been playing this game so much I start seeing the real world in Detective Mode.

+ Tons of variety/Gameplay
+ Great feel to weapons
+ Boss Fights
+ Physics
+ Scarecrow
+ Mark Hamill

- Last Boss Fight
- Too many villains
- Detective Mode
- Kevin Conroy sucked at times

The game is pretty darn good looking but you have to use DM so much you miss out on it. I would have preferred something like ODST which is like a 50% overlay and outlines. That way you could see more of the prettiness.
Would have preferred less villains so they could have allowed for more Joker time and have a better build to each, but what the hell. It was still awesome.

Also, doing the combat challenges and good lord are they hard. Need Silver + Gold and the 40x Combo then we're 1000g for this baby.

I don't agree with the other negatives you listed, but Kevin Conroy's voice acting did seem pretty bad compared to the rest of the cast especially in the parts where Batman was just thinking to himself.

Zefah said:
I don't agree with the other negatives you listed, but Kevin Conroy's voice acting did seem pretty bad compared to the rest of the cast especially in the parts where Batman was just thinking to himself.

The Negs weren't in general, I just thought they could have been tweaked a bit, e.g.: detective mode. It's an awfully pretty game but you see most of it through the DM which is unfortunate.

But as far as Conroy, it sounds like he was straight reading the script as he delivered some lines at times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just a random thing, but I fucking hate it how UE3 games force you to lock in your graphical settings and key bindings prior to booting up the game. It's so backwards for an engine that is supposed to be so modern and shiny.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
got 60k on the new combat room. 114 ww. i'm kinda done with the challenge rooms now, hope there's some meaty dlc down the road that doesn't involve challenge maps, but I really doubt it.

SlickVic

Finally got the game today after waiting close to 2 weeks for Amazon's shipping to come through (FedEx SmartPost = fail). Only put in an hour but good fun so far. Don't know if it's just me but there are some lines by Conroy that just don't sound like Batman to me. He's spot on in the confrontations with enemies, but when he's thinking to himself for detective mode, it sometimes sounds like a different person. Might just be me.

I'm also not sure if I'm gonna regret setting the difficulty to normal. I assumed this would let you change difficulties on the fly but just found out you can't. Just at the beginning now so I can hold my own but Batman loses health pretty fast if I'm not paying attention.

Minamu

Darunia said:
got 60k on the new combat room. 114 ww. i'm kinda done with the challenge rooms now, hope there's some meaty dlc down the road that doesn't involve challenge maps, but I really doubt it.
67.5k on my first try :D Was ranked 18, dunno anymore. Haven't been able to reach 50k ever since :lol

SlickVic said:
I'm also not sure if I'm gonna regret setting the difficulty to normal. I assumed this would let you change difficulties on the fly but just found out you can't. Just at the beginning now so I can hold my own but Batman loses health pretty fast if I'm not paying attention.
Well I wouldn't change to hsrd then if I were you. Hard id pretty hard, at least if you go that route the very first playthrough (I'd guess). Use counter a lot :)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, I have no idea how anybody racks up anything more than the like the minimum Bat Rating on any of these combat rooms. I'm going nuts, splitting them up, batclawing them, bataranging them all kinds of shit. I'd probably get a two bat rating on the extreme rooms if i didn't die in the 4th round like everytime. What's my game missing, man?

SpeedingUptoStop

I jsut spent an entire round of Shock and Awe just pulling people over the railing with the batclaw. Every single one:lol

Man, Ring Out's should be worth 10x as much as they are. >:-X

Minamu

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Man, I have no idea how anybody racks up anything more than the like the minimum Bat Rating on any of these combat rooms. I'm going nuts, splitting them up, batclawing them, bataranging them all kinds of shit. I'd probably get a two bat rating on the extreme rooms if i didn't die in the 4th round like everytime. What's my game missing, man?
Ground pound them :) At least in the first & second round. Try to ground pound the last 3 or 4 guys every round with a high combo. If you manage to pound 3 guys with a 30x combo, you get at least 9000 points. In that infinite enemy map, it's entirely possible to pound the first 10+ guys before it gets a pretty sweaty (it's harder when it gets more crowded than that).

SpeedingUptoStop

Aaaah I finally beat Sewer Bat Extreme! Exhilarating! I figured out that I wasn't doing the takedown maneuver (Y+B) in my combos, I didn't even realized that existed. Shit was crazy, they throw a fuck ton of guys at you!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Went back to listen to all the patient recordings last night. Really wish I listened to them at the sametime, there's a lot of connection to the game story, lots of pre-story too.

Loved the Scarecrow set the most.

Zutroy

Just completed the game 10 minutes ago. Loved it! It's so weird, because I never noticed any of the hype for this game. It was only when I was in a store and my friend convinced me to buy it.

Favorite part:
Scarecrow scenario before Killer Croc

SlickVic

Minamu said:
Well I wouldn't change to hsrd then if I were you. Hard id pretty hard, at least if you go that route the very first playthrough (I'd guess). Use counter a lot :)

Yeah I'd never dream of playing on hard. I can't even remember a game I've beaten on hard except a few campaigns on L4D (and that was definitely with a lot of help from the people I was playing with).

Ripclawe

Banned
Just finished on normal and my GOTY, but its like after Killer Croc part the game went a bit south, I think its a combination of same enemy fights, too many villian fights, going thru the catacombs again and the next to last fight before the joker seems worthless and did not add anything to the final fight.

Minamu

SlickVic said:
Yeah I'd never dream of playing on hard. I can't even remember a game I've beaten on hard except a few campaigns on L4D (and that was definitely with a lot of help from the people I was playing with).
It wasn't so bad the second way through though. You can see when enemies attack pretty fast even without the symbols over their heads.

I think I dreamt about that Killer Croc lair last night, although it was much darker & human skeletons inside the walls :lol There was even a small crocodile looking creature crawling through the walls turning kids insane with his creepy voice :lol It had about 10 layers of bandages & news papers over its body, kinda like Hush, though xD

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, so i finally got around to playing through this now and the first moment you walk outside to the Arkham island grounds, its fucking amazing. I love the atmosphere. The asylum is so freaking perfect a location.

dankir

Man I must done something right this morning.

I beat Sewer Bat extreme with 78k points ending on a 68 hit combo

I beat Jungle Extreme with 55 k

and

I beat Shock and Awe extreme 37k ( after 6 tries lol ) !!!

100% completion!!! Now I just need to beat the game on hard and I'm done!!

witness

For 100% completion do you need to get 3 bats on all the challenges? I have completed all of them, I just don't have 3 bats on Shock and Awe (1) and and Jungle extreme (2). It lists my challenges at only 85% completion.

dankir

witness said:
For 100% completion do you need to get 3 bats on all the challenges? I have completed all of them, I just don't have 3 bats on Shock and Awe (1) and and Jungle extreme (2). It lists my challenges at only 85% completion.

Yup, you need to get all 48 bats ( combat and predator ) to reach the 100% completion.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
witness said:

Yeah, you'll need 3 bats on every challenge. I'm just a few short of the platinum, but I don't think I'll ever bother to try and get the rest. Too frustrating.

~Kinggi~

Banned
got damn this game is so awesome. I love it so much! I love all of the character bios and the history in the game.

I wonder what they will do for a sequel. Arkham Asylum will be tough to beat.

DXPetti

Banned
Finished this game this morning and god dang I love it soooo much. Exploring + Brawler is a perfect combination. Killing the
20 guys outside the party
was quite painful but worked out a system of evading to the back of the room, grapple 3 goons then evading to the other side and punch out the goons that are just standing there, rinse+repeat :D

Now all that is left is the Challenge Rooms, Finish the game on Hard and defeat a Titan with no batarangs. The latter should be fairly easy!

GameGamer

Ripclawe said:
Just finished on normal and my GOTY, but its like after Killer Croc part the game went a bit south, I think its a combination of same enemy fights, too many villian fights, going thru the catacombs again and the next to last fight before the joker seems worthless and did not add anything to the final fight.

I agree.

This game was almost perfect. But as soon as the game hit the Croc level it just lost all that momentum and flattened out.

I've been playing through Arkham Asylum all damn day, and some of the next/this(?) morning as well, and the game just continues to impress at each and every turn. The combat is so much fun, the encounters with the villains are epic, the layered world that expands with each new ability or item you acquire, the exploration is so rewarding with the Riddler challenges and asylum inmate interviews you can uncover which give you with experience, unlock challenges and are just fucking cool to listen to or read through. Did I mention that the combat that is just so much fun? Fuck man, Rocksteady nailed it. They didn't just make the ultimate Batman or superhero game, they made what is easily one of the best games to come out in a good long while.

I'm just heading towards what I'm guessing is my final encounter with
Poison Ivy
but I've got to call it a night.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't have a problem with the Croc level, I actually really liked it. It was a pretty simple section, but man, it was tense.

But yeah, the Bane clones toward the end weren't cool. I mean, I dealt with them just fine, but there wasn't anything new or interesting about any of them, other than the addition of enemies, which was more frustrating than anything else.

It wasn't enough to sour my time with the game, though, in fact, until this thread, I hadn't really given it much thought.

At first I didn't know you could or should toss bat-a-rangs at Killer Croc's collar so I would just turn tail and run every time he popped up out of the water. I liked his section because Killer Croc is this force you can't necessarily stop, just narrowly avoid and stave off. That whole section in the catacombs was just really intense.

scoobs

jaundicejuice said:
At first I didn't know you could or should toss bat-a-rangs at Killer Croc's collar so I would just turn tail and run every time he popped up out of the water. I liked his section because Killer Croc is this force you can't necessarily stop, just narrowly avoid and stave off. That whole section in the catacombs was just really intense.

Also its incredibly tedious and the low point of the game if you ask me.

Top Bottom