• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

JayDub

dfyb said:
so i just got around to playing this. liking it so far even though i'm not much a batman fan.

anybody else notice how the PS3 version has video on the disc? if you have the disc in, it'll show up in XMB's video column and you can watch behind the scenes stuff and trailers. how many games do this? 360 version have this?

Mind Blown. Another feature I love of this game is the fact that, after you "finish" the story mode the game just lets you loose in Arkham. Finish everything and just fuckin explore. Love it.

And I never thought I'd say this (for this gen, anyways), but no true online multiplayer is fine for me here. Those challenges bring me back to the days where I would constantly replay a level to beat my own score, or continually play something to the point where I can just "do it." The challenge mode, and the different difficulties for doing them really lengthen the game JUST RIGHT. And also, a "quick fix" for those who dont want to go through story mode to experience a combat scenario, stealth scenario..etc.

Loved how Rocksteady totally used Eternal Darkness's insanity effects as inspiration for the Scarecrow bits. I can't think of a better game to emulate. Amazingly dark moments in the game.

DodgerSan

dfyb said:
so i just got around to playing this. liking it so far even though i'm not much a batman fan.

anybody else notice how the PS3 version has video on the disc? if you have the disc in, it'll show up in XMB's video column and you can watch behind the scenes stuff and trailers. how many games do this? 360 version have this?

Yeah this has been mentioned a lot, and it's only in the US version for some reason.

Just one more way (along with the shitty CE) that non-US gamers got screwed on this one. Cheers Eidos.

Minamu

Fatghost said:
But think how great the actual game would be with one hit kills? The tension would be ace.

You could call it "Master Detective Mode" or something. :D
Sure, I'm up for anything that's free :) I agree that there are a lot of things like that that they could've added. Unfortunately, they have a business to run as well :)

Joei

Minamu said:
I gotta say, I wonder how it feels for the designer(s) to know that the croc level is almost universally hated among gamers. It's like being the designer of the least played map in a multiplayer game, like how certain maps in cod4 almost always gets voted off 'cause it sucks. It can't feel good :( I feel a bit sorry for them (even though it should've been apparent to them too during development :p).

I actually didn't mind the Croc level. I thought it could have been a tad shorter, but it was definitely a nice change of pace and a unique level for the game.

As for a NG+, I liked the idea initially, but I really don't think it would work in the game. Some of the equipment would be gamebreaking, and as for the combat abilities, I got the first 5 on my Hard play through very, very early on. Comboing and solving the riddles earns you so much xp that it's pretty easy to get them right away.

zoukka

How do I get back to around morgue, when the elevator's busted? And where the hell are the last two joker teeth in arkham west :b

Neiteio

Joei said:
I actually didn't mind the Croc level. I thought it could have been a tad shorter, but it was definitely a nice change of pace and a unique level for the game.
I also liked the Croc level. I'd even go so far as to say it's one of my favorite parts.

It's all the little details you micromanage -- tread lightly, keep an eye on each intersection, watch out behind you, be ready to run, line-launch to cover ground more quickly. It's about moving quickly yet silently, bracing yourself to throw a batarang at any moment. It had a very satisfying progression that I love, suspenseful intensity on a pitch-perfect curve.

And Croc looks amazing, of course. Quite the sight to see that monster storming down the hall at you.

Minamu

I didn't think the Croc level was that bad either. it was a nice change of pace. Sure, it could've been done better as it wasn't scary or anything at all. But I probably wouldn't detract points for it. But if there's one thing that shines through the general complaints around the web, Croc is at the top 3, easy.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already but I'm at
239/240 Riddler Challenges found
and the last one to get is
20 joker teeth in the Mansion
and I cannot find
the last 3 teeth
for the life of me. I've already finished the game and I'm just going cleaning up. Am I screwed or just not looking hard enough?

Krelian

jetjevons said:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already but I'm at
239/240 Riddler Challenges found
and the last one to get is
20 joker teeth in the Mansion
and I cannot find
the last 3 teeth
for the life of me. I've already finished the game and I'm just going cleaning up. Am I screwed or just not looking hard enough?
Aren't those the infamous three teeth in the
attic of the warden's office
? They must've been asked for about a dozen times already.

Az

just finished today and loved it... i mean really i dont have anything bad to say about this game.
it just felt satisfying from beginning to end, im sad its over...

my personal GOTY for now

Hydrargyrus

Whooaa

it only rest the last combat challenge to get the 24 combat medals.

It's being really hard, seriously, I'm getting frustrated in some moments... so much that I must hit the f**kig DS :lol :lol

dfyb

Banned
anyone got tips on getting good scores in the combat challenges? is it just a matter of stringing larger combos together?

edit: also, after i've beaten it... how do i get more exp? i can't find enemies and i still need to get some upgrades like remote control batterang to do challenges...

Krelian

dfyb said:
anyone got tips on getting good scores in the combat challenges? is it just a matter of stringing larger combos together?

edit: also, after i've beaten it... how do i get more exp? i can't find enemies and i still need to get some upgrades like remote control batterang to do challenges...
There are some combat tips a few pages back. You can gain exp by solving riddles, finding trophies and so on.

Krelian said:
Aren't those the infamous three teeth in the
attic of the warden's office
? They must've been asked for about a dozen times already.

:lol I hated those. I could hear them down stairs and I was like "where are those little fuckers". Didn't even realise there was an upstairs till I went back and searched everywhere for where they could be. I seriously thought there was a bug and they were invisible and it was going to destroy any chance of getting all the riddles.

zoukka

Platinum get!

Some of the combat challenges were fucking infuriating. It helps if you just try to get the freeflow perfection trophy in every round. Variation bonus 5000!

Got this on PC and updating to 1.1
Thing is I have only one GPU 8800 GTS 512MB and e8400 @ 3.9 GHz
Is that enough for me to enable PhysX at 1680x1050 or is it better not to bother with it?

Psy-Phi

Melhisedek said:
Got this on PC and updating to 1.1
Thing is I have only one GPU 8800 GTS 512MB and e8400 @ 3.9 GHz
Is that enough for me to enable PhysX at 1680x1050 or is it better not to bother with it?

Give it a shot. Upgrade your drivers to the latest (they speciifcally mention an increase in performance with physx and Batman) they make a marked difference in this game's frame rate on my GTX 260 core216. I played at 1920x1080 on my HDTV with PhysX on. The frame rate prior to the patch would dip below 30 on rare occasion outside looking in the wrong direction. After the driver update stayed above 30.

I would suggest that if the game doesn't run well with the latest drivers and physx to tone down your res to 1280x800 (sounds like you have a 16:10 monitor) and see how it runs then. And if it still doesn't, just turn off PhysX -- this is a beautiful game that doesn't need to be marred by a lower res than 720p.

MMaRsu said:
Combo reduction.

Played through twice. Second time I went with the combo throw because I knew how to play and get 8x easily constantly. Fist time I went with the inverted take down. Because I loved it in the demo.

I'd say go for inverted takedown or dual batarang. Dual batarang makes encounters easier and inverted takedown just is fun to mess with multiple guys.

Really you don't need to hold off on anything except the armor upgrades. Save those for last (because they're useless and if you happen to not get all the upgrades before the end it won't matter). First time I was missing one upgarade when I finished, second time had them all well before the 2nd to last boss.

MMaRsu said:
Combo reduction.

Um...no? Combo reduction is useless if you haven't bought the throw/instant takedown (I don't even know if it'll let you purchase it until that point)bat.

If you're playing on hard, armor upgrades are good to start with. Otherwise, go through your combat upgrades as fast as possible.

Filldough

zoukka said:
Platinum get!

Some of the combat challenges were fucking infuriating. It helps if you just try to get the freeflow perfection trophy in every round. Variation bonus 5000!

Beat Shock and Awe Extreme last night after what felt like 698,235 attempts. I had to turn off subtitles and the audio for voices because hearing the Joker's taunting me before and after each attempt became ridiculously infuriating! Now I just need to finish off Rumble in the Jungle Extreme. Cant remember the last time I displayed such masochistic tendencies...

Just finished this last night, what a ride. Absolutely loved the
Scarecrow
segments. Especially that last one, really messes with your head.
Croc
fight wasn't that bad, but it did get a bit boring toward the end. Finish the challenges, get two more freeflow trophies, beat it on hard, and I've got another platinum. Definitely playing this again after I beat Uncharted 2.

Meier

The battle with the two titans and the never ending stream of guys
in front of Joker
is giving me fits. Come close a few times, but for the life of me I just can't beat them yet... will keep trying, but it's pissing me off so much. :mad:

Hyunkel6

Meier said:
in front of Joker
is giving me fits. Come close a few times, but for the life of me I just can't beat them yet... will keep trying, but it's pissing me off so much. :mad:

Don't concentrate on the henchmen. Keep vaulting over them until you can quick throw a batarang at an incoming titan.

Meier said:
in front of Joker

It annoyed me too till I started to focus on the Titans. Just hold down RT or R2 + A or X and leap over the henchmen when you're too close to the Titans. Then whenever they get dizzy, combo them and ride them. Do this two times for each Titan on Normal difficulty and they'll go down to the next combo you give 'em.

Strangely enough, this fight is harder than what follows next ;)

Meier

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! I beat that sequence but was low health and at the end of the cut scene where Joker
shoots himself with the Titan gun in the chin
, it said Game Over and brought up the Retry screen. UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Edit: Beat it this time. 8)

Kittonwy

Banned
Just beat the game on hard, probably the best licensed superhero game on the market which is not saying much, pretty polished but the boss fights got pretty repetitive, visuals can be a bit drab. I would have preferred batman to be sleeker like the Christian Bale batman than the steroid batman, but still, good game overall.
Indifferent2.gif

Does the difficulty affect the challenges? I mean if I play the game through on easy, will that make the combat challenges on that save file more forgiving?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
TheBrain76 said:
Does the difficulty affect the challenges? I mean if I play the game through on easy, will that make the combat challenges on that save file more forgiving?
No, the challenges don't change.

Those combat challenges... what a ride. They are all conquered! It was so much easier when i stopped going for variation and started trying to exclusively keep my combo up as well as not get hit too much. Instant takedowns whenever the combo number is yellow plus bat claw to evade to R2+triangle takedown at the end of rounds really racks up the points.

Just need to beat it on hard now. So much fun.

Blader

I just played the demo about an hour ago...it's fucking great! I was totally impressed by it, the first time I've played not just a good but a great superhero game.

I'll buy or rent this whenever I get the time/money, but already based on the demo I'm hoping this game develops into a franchise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Preferably with an iron stick. Anyone else lose their save game and want to bitch about it? Sure it must have been covered in this thread but I don't see it...

DieH@rd

Banned
Hawkian said:
Preferably with an iron stick. Anyone else lose their save game and want to bitch about it? Sure it must have been covered in this thread but I don't see it...

Its your own fault. Game gave you warning on the beginning that you will not be able to save without GFW account [you can make an offline one in 3 sec].

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DieH@rd said:
Its your own fault.

Wow. Okay.

When I began the game weeks ago, I logged in with my GFWL account and saved many times. All was well.

An update to the Games for Windows Live client was released (1.1), and you are instructed when you log into the game that you will not be able to log into Games for Windows Live- and thus, as you so generously pointed out, not be able to save your game at all. Like any prudent customer I immediately agreed to install the update, not thinking much of it at all.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96261

Updating the client from within the game, taking your GFW account offline and then back online, looking at Microsoft the wrong way- these things will erase your save file completely as far as GFWL is concerned. On the local side, the file is still there at \documents\eidos\savedata\. Of course, if I attempt to manually replace the savedata with my own backed up copy of my old data, it shows up in game as "Corrupted Data." Apparently wanting to play the saved game I had already created through my GFWL account is too much to ask for after an update that said it was required.

I'm glad I wasn't any further in the game, because I had to start over.

My Achievements, however, are apparently locked server-side to my GFWL account and remain intact. Joy! Maybe this time I'll just let the Blackgate prisoner die a slow and painful death.

[you could have looked up what I was talking about in 3 sec]

LevityNYC

Banned
Got the game at launch. Just started playing Thursday and beat it this afternoon. Amazing game.

GOTY 2009 for year.

I really can't think of a bad thing to say. The Scarecrow sections were absolutely incredible.

One of them surprised me to much I though there was something wrong with the game or my 360.

Finished this Friday on Normal. Despite having a bunch of other games to play, I will probably go back and try to beat all of the challenges and possibly even go through on hard.

Some of the animations were weak, I got lost just before the
joker fight
(partially my fault, but I felt the design could have been tighter there), and the boss fights were repetitive. This game is one of the best examples of 'interactive storytelling' I've seen recently. They told so much of story through the gameplay without needing extended cutscenes the majority of the time.

I'd love to play a sequel.

I, too, just beat the game the other day. Beat it in like three sitings. Undoubtedly my GOTY so far, as well. What a fantastic ride it was. :D

But I'm stuck on the Combat Challenges. How do you know what the criteria are for getting medals? Are they the same for all? If so, what are they?

LevityNYC

Banned
I love that you are never doing the same thing for too long. The game breaks up the stealth action, the fighting, exploring, and the platforming very well.

Hyunkel6

TenshiOni said:
I, too, just beat the game the other day. Beat it in like three sitings. Undoubtedly my GOTY so far, as well. What a fantastic ride it was. :D

But I'm stuck on the Combat Challenges. How do you know what the criteria are for getting medals? Are they the same for all? If so, what are they?

You have to beat a certain score for each medal for every combat challenge. IIRC, you can view which score you have to beat for each respective medal right before you choose to start a challenge.

Top Bottom