• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It was just too easy. As soon as the music roared up, you tap the quick batarang button and it was over before it started. It would've been nice to have it pre-actual croc fight....but it was the croc fight. Nothing more.

renzengeki

Neo Member
hey guys... when you were installing batman arkham asylum on your ps3 did your ps3 drive sounded a little louder? like it was trying to load something but its kinda louder than usual?

because my old ps3 broke when i was hearing that kind of sound on the bluray drive... i bought a new slim and installed some games like bioshock and gta4 and it didnt really made a noise compared to when im installing batman:AA

im just worried it might break my ps3 slim lens too... because i think motorstorm:pR broke my old ps3 fat bluray lens because it was making the same noise too when it was on the main menu.

PS: saw this too..

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/09/is-batman-arkham-asylum-the-killer-of-old-ps3s.ars

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just beat it. Easily the best game I will play all year.

Everything was brilliant, fun, fantastic, well-planned, and action packed. Except for the
Croc level
, yeah.

Man that was good. WOW.

Joei

I have a question for anyone who may be somewhat knowledgable of the series. During one of their communications, I noticed The Oracle/Barbara, called Batman, "Bruce." Aside from the obvious, is there anyone else who knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne?

I should clarify that "obvious" to me is the Robins and Alfred.

jdogmoney

^^ Yeah, most of the Bat-family knows, Bane knows, Superman generally knows, um, depending on where you are in the continuity, the Riddler knows...the guy who raised the not-Barbara Gordon Batgirl (Cain) knows...Spoiler...Ra's Al-Ghul may or may not be in on the secret...I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of.

Yeah, it's not the best kept secret in the world.

[Also, although it's not stated anywhere, I'm pretty sure Commissioner Gordon knows. That's just my theory, though.]

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also, Catwoman and Hush know, Riddler worked it out but then forgot it (although he may be about to remember it). Hugo Strange. And most of the JLA I think. Plus his girlfriends over the years... Silver St Cloud, Talia, Sasha Bordeaux and Jezebel Jet recently. And the Black Glove, whoever he was in the end and the rest of the black hand knew I guess.

Az

ok how the fuck did I miss this game??
I just rented it to get me by until Uncharted2 and I am speechless so far. If U2 does not deliver (which I doubt) this will be my GOTY.

Spike

jdogmoney said:
[Also, although it's not stated anywhere, I'm pretty sure Commissioner Gordon knows. That's just my theory, though.]

Of course Jim Gordon knows. He's a damn good cop. You think he would not have figured it out?

Oh, and Joker knows.

scoobs

I think for the sequel the joker should play a smaller role, maybe be behind bars "helping" batman in some way, that would be really neat and hopefully in the end he escapes so it sets up a third one :)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
GODDAMMIT! I cleared the thugs in the generator room in one continous flow, used the stun, evade, batarang, throw, counter, hit and instant takedown moves and as I was waiting for the *DING* for my Freeflow Perfection-trophy I remembered I forgot to use the batclaw!

Joei said:
I have a question for anyone who may be somewhat knowledgable of the series. During one of their communications, I noticed The Oracle/Barbara, called Batman, "Bruce." Aside from the obvious, is there anyone else who knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne?

I should clarify that "obvious" to me is the Robins and Alfred.

Hush
Riddler
Superman
Selina Kyle
Robin/Tim Drake. I mention him because according to Hush storyline Tim Drake figured out who Batman is by himself, deduced the identity logically.
Mr. Reese(=)

Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) and Shock and Awe (Extreme) can go straight to hell. I can max out ~45,000 on RitJ but those stupid Titans mess things up for me to get the Freeflow Perfection Combo or whatever it's called. Haven't tried Shock and Awe yet but sounds "fun".

Any tips Gaffers?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Buckethead said:
Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) and Shock and Awe (Extreme) can go straight to hell. I can max out ~45,000 on RitJ but those stupid Titans mess things up for me to get the Freeflow Perfection Combo or whatever it's called. Haven't tried Shock and Awe yet but sounds "fun".

Any tips Gaffers?

I haven't beaten them (yet), but in order to keep the combo going with a titan, throw a batarang at him as he rushes towards you and evade in the direction of thugs, and punch/counter them directly after Batman get's up from the evademove.
Also a good way to increase your combo is to climb on top of the titan. His first healthbar has to be depleted, wait for him to charge you, throw a batarang, evade, pnuch/counter a thug, evade back to titan, punch titan a few times untill he's stunned on the floor, punch him again and Batman will climb on top of him, the titan will start swaying his arms around, hitting thugs in the process. I got my Freeflow 20-trophy this way :D

Krelian

Buckethead said:

Any tips Gaffers?
You don't have to get the Freeflow Perfection Bonus to get a high enough score. In fact I found it impossible to get it on any stage with a Titan on it. It's best just to max out the stages without Titan. Get a high varation bonus and pull off as many ground takedowns as possible and you should do fine.

exarkun

Hey I have a question about the game. MY copy (no scratches or anything but the disc was loose in the box when it came) keeps freezing around the middle of the intro part (where they take Joker into Arkham). Now I have tried updating to 3.01 and all that but then it just freezes a little later during the same part. Is it the disc, is it my PS3(still plays other games).

I have an original 60gig launch unit if that helps.

LiK

exarkun said:
Hey I have a question about the game. MY copy (no scratches or anything but the disc was loose in the box when it came) keeps freezing around the middle of the intro part (where they take Joker into Arkham). Now I have tried updating to 3.01 and all that but then it just freezes a little later during the same part. Is it the disc, is it my PS3(still plays other games).

I have an original 60gig launch unit if that helps.

tried reinstalling the game data? if that doesn't help, bring it back for an exchange.

exarkun

LiK said:
tried reinstalling the game data? if that doesn't help, bring it back for an exchange.

So its probably not the PS3? I've heard of the game freezing on people but I didn't know it would be like this.

LiK

exarkun said:
So its probably not the PS3? I've heard of the game freezing on people but I didn't know it would be like this.

i have a launch 60GB PS3 as well and i didn't get any freezing.

OR, i think you're referring to stuttering, not freezing. the framerate stutters right? gets choppy at times during the intro? that happened to me and other guys here as well.

it seems it's probably a loading issue during the first playthrough. and it could be the stock HDD cuz guys who upgraded their HDD or have newer PS3s don't have the same problem as we do.

exarkun

LiK said:
i have a launch 60GB PS3 as well and i didn't get any freezing.

OR, i think you're referring to stuttering, not freezing. the framerate stutters right? gets choppy at times during the intro? that happened to me and other guys here as well.

it seems it's probably a loading issue during the first playthrough. and it could be the stock HDD cuz guys who upgraded their HDD or have newer PS3s don't have the same problem as we do.

Nah it straight up freezes. I tried reinstalling the game data but all it did was buy me a minute more. So i don't really know what to do. I guess I could send the game back and exchange it.

LiK

exarkun said:
Nah it straight up freezes. I tried reinstalling the game data but all it did was buy me a minute more. So i don't really know what to do. I guess I could send the game back and exchange it.

oh ok, if it's straight up freezing, it's probably the disc. better to exchange.

Joei

Thanks for the input guys, that's pretty interesting on who knows he's Batman and all.

scoobs said:
I think for the sequel the joker should play a smaller role, maybe be behind bars "helping" batman in some way, that would be really neat and hopefully in the end he escapes so it sets up a third one :)

Heh. You know, you never see Joker's cell. I wonder why they didn't have the cell they lock him up in on display like they did for all the other villains.

Joei said:
Heh. You know, you never see Joker's cell. I wonder why they didn't have the cell they lock him up in on display like they did for all the other villains.

What, you didn't find it yet?

.........................................................................cheater!...................................................

Buckethead said:

Any tips Gaffers?

Rumble in the Jungle: First, you want to get as many points you can in the non-titan round (1 and 3 I believe), that means high combo count and do all nine combos. Then with the Titans ones, the key is to get a relatively high combo count before you hop on them. You can stun a titan just by tapping the button without aiming. Also, do a lot of evading (as long as you are doing it correctly, it won't kill your combo count). When timed correctly, you can evade the titan attack as well. I once had a 42 combo finishing off the last Titan.

The Titans are actually a bless to get high scores in that stage. Keep the combo up, jump on them, beat the crap out of the thugs, evade/take down moves/whatever until you stun another one, then repeat another run of ass kicking.

You don't even have to do it perfectly, I messed around with the stage after not playing it a while and still managed to get three stars. You can do it

Quick question guys.
I just beat
IVY and I am at the part where Joker is using fireworks to lure me to the Penitentiary building. I have all my abilities so before I went there I searched the island and found all the remaining riddler challenges. I got the 2nd to last Spirit of Arkham and I am supposed to deduce who is channeling him. I am guessing its Aaron Cash simply because he is the only outside character I can think of besides the warden.

Now here is my question: Is this the only opportunity I have to go
confront Cash or can I still go see him after I go to Joker?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BruceLeeRoy said:
Quick question guys.
I just beat
IVY and I am at the part where Joker is using fireworks to lure me to the Penitentiary building. I have all my abilities so before I went there I searched the island and found all the remaining riddler challenges. I got the 2nd to last Spirit of Arkham and I am supposed to deduce who is channeling him. I am guessing its Aaron Cash simply because he is the only outside character I can think of besides the warden.

Now here is my question: Is this the only opportunity I have to go
confront Cash or can I still go see him after I go to Joker?

You can go do the joker stuff now, the game resumes normally afterward to let you wrap everything up.

HouseofGlass

Neo Member
SpeedingUptoStop said:
It was just too easy. As soon as the music roared up, you tap the quick batarang button and it was over before it started. It would've been nice to have it pre-actual croc fight....but it was the croc fight. Nothing more.

I actually think it would have been the perfect Croc fight, showing that he's not a guy you can just beat up, but they more or less messed it up by making the whole section overlong and repetitive. Croc could only do a few different things and all of them were easily stopped or avoided. If they'd just shortened the sequence, added more variety to the ways in which he attacked you (heck, even had him attack from behind or much closer so it wasn't just hitting him a batarang from a mile away), etc, it would have been really well-done instead of just half tense and half disappointing. I still sorta liked it though.

Joei

ScrabbleBanshee said:
What, you didn't find it yet?

.........................................................................cheater!...................................................

Is there really a Joker cell? I went through the game twice (once on normal, once on hard) and it didn't dawn on me that I didn't see a Joker cell until I got to the end of the second playthrough. I've played so much Batman this past month that I really don't feel like going back and searching.

Finally got my Platinum trophy for this game. I spent over 3 hours straight in the Shock & Awe Extreme trying to get all 3 medals, I finally got it remaining creepily calm throughout the whole ordeal. The funny thing is that the Predator challenges are what got me screaming "cunt!" at the television, Record Breaker (non-extreme) nearly had me in tears. I think the fact that I didn't break my controllerand the PS3 is a testament to how good the game is really. In my madness I loathed the game, but never hated it enough to stop. The reason I was failing was because of what I was doing, the game was never cheap in any sense.

Overall, sleeper-hit of '09 for sure. Came completely out of left field for me and I really can't wait for the inevidable sequal now that it has sold over 2.5 million copies.

chubigans said:
Just beat it. Easily the best game I will play all year.

Everything was brilliant, fun, fantastic, well-planned, and action packed. Except for the
Croc level
, yeah.

Man that was good. WOW.

I was going to come in here and ramble a bit but you already covered everything I was going to say. Amazing game. The combat I might add is probably some of the most satisfying combat I have ever played.

Hydrargyrus

I'm trying to get my platinum trophy.
I beat the game already (in hard, the first time) and the game was fucking great.

I'm now with the challenges, first, I'm trying to get all the 3 medals in the combat challenges... and it's absolutely exasperating.

I still have only the 3 last ones, but it's getting harder and harder... aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggg, it never ends

Krelian

I finally got my last Achievement with my playthrough on hard yesterday. The second time was still awesome and all the combat challenges really helped with the combat. I hardly had any problems. Now all that remains is the DLC, though I'll probably wait some time before playing it again.

Minamu

I gotta say, I wonder how it feels for the designer(s) to know that the croc level is almost universally hated among gamers. It's like being the designer of the least played map in a multiplayer game, like how certain maps in cod4 almost always gets voted off 'cause it sucks. It can't feel good :( I feel a bit sorry for them (even though it should've been apparent to them too during development :p).

Meier

Started the othe night, just got past the 2nd dreamscape. Game is awesome although I prefer the stealthy portions.

Minamu said:
I gotta say, I wonder how it feels for the designer(s) to know that the croc level is almost universally hated among gamers. It's like being the designer of the least played map in a multiplayer game, like how certain maps in cod4 almost always gets voted off 'cause it sucks. It can't feel good :( I feel a bit sorry for them (even though it should've been apparent to them too during development :p).

It could have been worse.... it could have been much longer, and much more unfair... at least it's fucking easy to get through -- even on hard, it didn't seem to make it any different -- i it and they made it so you have absolutely no reason to go back there (actually make it so you CAN'T go back there).

Finally went 1000/1000 earlier today. Really terrific game. So far I've only done 1000/1000 on two 360 games. This and Dead Space. And both are going to be annual playthroughs.

Arkham Asylum is really the perfect length with phenomenal pacing. I enjoyed everything about it, even the boss encounters. Sure, some of them bordered on too easy, even on Hard, but truthfully...I prefer it that way. It makes the entire package pretty well balanced.

For nail-bitingly hard-to-the-point-of-frustrating gaming, you play the challenge modes. Going for high scores on those is a fucking workout.

But when you just want a nice, comfortable experience, you play the story mode, where the obstacles are challenging but not aggravating.

I was doing the challenge maps on Normal with a second save file for Hard story mode, and it really worked out well. When I had enough of the combat maps, I'd play story mode for a bit. There was always something I felt like doing in this game, which isn't something I can say for most titles.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
You know what DLC I would love?

A super hard mode and a one hit kill mode for the single player.

And also maybe a New Game + mode.

Minamu

I don't think a ng+ suits this game very well. It would break the game, perhaps even literarily (spelling?) & it would probably destroy the story progression beyond belief. The way the game is designed, progression wise, it would be devastating. It's not like Super Metroid where serious sequence breaking isn't a bad thing. And seeing how the devs are relatively new to this stuff, developing complex AAA titles that is, I wouldn't be surprised if the game would need a lot of extra QA time to sort out bugs if it were to have a fully functional ng+ mode. I'd bet that's primarily why it doesn't have such a feature out of the box. The amount of extensive playtesting such a feature would need to work properly is probably huge, especially for such a small company.

Awesome is Adam Hughes:

takedown.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Minamu said:
I don't think a ng+ suits this game very well. It would break the game, perhaps even literarily (spelling?) & it would probably destroy the story progression beyond belief. The way the game is designed, progression wise, it would be devastating. It's not like Super Metroid where serious sequence breaking isn't a bad thing. And seeing how the devs are relatively new to this stuff, developing complex AAA titles that is, I wouldn't be surprised if the game would need a lot of extra QA time to sort out bugs if it were to have a fully functional ng+ mode. I'd bet that's primarily why it doesn't have such a feature out of the box. The amount of extensive playtesting such a feature would need to work properly is probably huge, especially for such a small company.

Maybe some of the equipment would be game breaking, but I would love to be able to go through the game from the start with all combat combos unlocked at least.

And one hit kill mode would be ace.

Minamu

Fatghost said:
Maybe some of the equipment would be game breaking, but I would love to be able to go through the game from the start with all combat combos unlocked at least.

And one hit kill mode would be ace.
Yeah that sounds about right :) But, personally, that Scarecrow arena map was kinda boring/frustrating thanks to one hit kills :(

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Minamu said:
Yeah that sounds about right :) But, personally, that Scarecrow arena map was kinda boring/frustrating thanks to one hit kills :(

But think how great the actual game would be with one hit kills? The tension would be ace.

You could call it "Master Detective Mode" or something. :D

vazel

Banned
My friend comes over to play through this game and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST watching him play gives me headaches. I was always annoyed at the easier game designs of modern games but now I know why it's needed. It's sometimes still not enough for him no matter how guided and easy the obstacle is and I have to tell him what to do.

dfyb

Banned
so i just got around to playing this. liking it so far even though i'm not much a batman fan.

anybody else notice how the PS3 version has video on the disc? if you have the disc in, it'll show up in XMB's video column and you can watch behind the scenes stuff and trailers. how many games do this? 360 version have this?

Top Bottom