• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

CryptiK

I finished this on Monday and all I could say was wow it was amazing I didnt get bored with it at all was just to good and voice acting was fucking amazingly great( I didnt expect anything less :p) I want more thats all I gotta say it was just executed perfectly I didnt find any glitches or bugs either

I also freaked out when it looked like my PC was crashing >.<

Solo

brandonh83 said:
I don't really believe that anyone who considers Uncharted 2 as their GOTY does so because of its technology.

Purely my observation as an outsider (have UC2, but dont have my PS3, HDTV, and the rest of my electronics/furniture/clothes/everything until December, so no gaming for me for another 4 weeks): graphics are mentioned in the UC2 thread more than anything else. So to shrug off the tech as one of, if not the, biggest selling point for the game, is being in denial.

crispyben

(reposting for new page, sorry)

Hey GAF, can you please give me pointers for the "Party Pooper" trophy? I'm playing on Normal, sticking mostly with Counters while waiting for an opening, then getting my Combo up to 5 and unleashing a Special Takedown, and yet I can't kill them all, even though my Armor is fully upgraded.

I'm considering putting my save on a USB stick and finishing the game, then erasing the save on the PS3 and putting this one back in order to try it again. Would this work?

crispyben said:

Hey GAF, can you please give me pointers for the "Party Pooper" trophy? I'm playing on Normal, sticking mostly with Counters while waiting for an opening, then getting my Combo up to 5 and unleashing a Special Takedown, and yet I can't kill them all, even though my Armor is fully upgraded.

I'm considering putting my save on a USB stick and finishing the game, then erasing the save on the PS3 and putting this one back in order to try it again. Would this work?

Wait, isn't the 'Party Pooper' trophy mission-specific?

Near the end, before you fight Joker, you pass a hallway filled with guys that are wearing party hats and cheering for you. If you beat the shit out of all of them, you get the trophy.

Ashour

crispyben said:

I don't think the trophy will pop up if you copy it from a USB even if it's the same as the one you're using. I could be wrong though.

As for that part I recommend counters and pressing X to jump behind an enemy, also I would recommend running away when it get's crowded and go kill the ones far away (usually one or two will stay away from you), that way you get to kill but in the same time not get gang banged by them.

Az

This game got my #2 GOTY spot secured after Uncharted 2 even with MW2, Assasins Creed 2 and Killzone 2 as competition.

Buckethead said:
Don't want to open that can of worms but inshort if the game didn't look so amazing I don't think people would be so forgiving about the gunplay, tanky controls, and other faults.
Gears back when was GOTY because it brought new elements to the table in the cover system, and there's nothing original about Uncharted 2 but it's an excellent package. Same thing with DKC back when.

My point is on a "game" basis, Batman should be the GOTY.
Agreed 100%. The entire second half of UC2, I kept thinking how awesome the game WOULD be if they'd tweaked the gunplay from the first game, as it still became a chore after a while. Batman's my GOTY; hell, it's this gen's RE4 for me.

Filldough

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Wait, isn't the 'Party Pooper' trophy mission-specific?

Near the end, before you fight Joker, you pass a hallway filled with guys that are wearing party hats and cheering for you. If you beat the shit out of all of them, you get the trophy.

Yeah its specific to that section, really easy trophy, I think most people get it by accident like I did cause you just run in and beat them all senseless. I don't think you need to do it in a single combo or anything like that...

Aske

crispyben said:

This one should be very easy if you take advantage of the fact that none of the goons will fight you until you throw the first punch. Spray all your explosive gel around one side of the hall (you should have it upgraded to explode with enemy proximity by now I'd think) and then zip-line down the line of thugs on the other side. Lots of them will get blown up or knocked down. Hit as many ground take-downs as you can before they start getting up, then clean up the rest. All in all it should be much easier than some of the sections you've already beaten. If you're still having problems it's probably wise to keep practicing until you beat it - otherwise you'll have a miserable time trying to get through the fights in the next couple of areas.

Birbo

Filldough said:
Yeah its specific to that section, really easy trophy, I think most people get it by accident like I did cause you just run in and beat them all senseless. I don't think you need to do it in a single combo or anything like that...

I walked right past them and proceeded to finish the game. :( Any way to go back and get it now without starting a new game?

Hyunkel6

Birbo said:
I walked right past them and proceeded to finish the game. :( Any way to go back and get it now without starting a new game?

Nope. You really have to restart the game from the beginning. At least, it's a game worth playing at least twice. :D

Filldough

Birbo said:

Bummer, What were you thinking walking past a bunch of baddies just beggin to have their asses handed to them? I beat them down for both the satisfaction and experience haha!

JBuccCP

Beat the game earlier today, awesome, definitely my goty right now. The pacing was perfect, switching things up enough so you don't get bored of one thing. I actually wanted the game to be longer, normally I think games are too long. Other than the final boss fight being lame conceptually and the "fight" with Harley Quinn being done in a cutscene, I thought just about everything hit the right spot.

farnham

Banned
So finished this game in about 2 or 3 sessions

I generally really liked it.. The graphics were great.. the story was entertaining enough.. and the fights in both variants (against unarmed and against armed) were awesome.. i really liked the scare crow levels as they reminded me of 2d platforming games a lot..

overall the game was astounding and ill get back to it for sure even after the ending

crispyben

Aske said:
This one should be very easy if you take advantage of the fact that none of the goons will fight you until you throw the first punch. Spray all your explosive gel around one side of the hall (you should have it upgraded to explode with enemy proximity by now I'd think) and then zip-line down the line of thugs on the other side. Lots of them will get blown up or knocked down. Hit as many ground take-downs as you can before they start getting up, then clean up the rest. All in all it should be much easier than some of the sections you've already beaten. If you're still having problems it's probably wise to keep practicing until you beat it - otherwise you'll have a miserable time trying to get through the fights in the next couple of areas.
Thanks all, finally got it and finished the game before I could read all this, just needed to practice my fighting skills some more! Advice much appreciated anyway.

NeoUltima said:
Just popped this game into my ps3.

Should I start on normal or hard?
Also is there a harder difficulty that unlocks after you beat it?

Thanks. Wish me luck.

Hard is the highest difficulty; nothing higher unlocks. Normal in my opinion is way too easy, not to mention you receive the alerts for when to counter. Hard can be frustrating, but certainly doable on your first playthrough.

Red

Valkyr Junkie said:
Hard is the highest difficulty; nothing higher unlocks. Normal in my opinion is way too easy, not to mention you receive the alerts for when to counter. Hard can be frustrating, but certainly doable on your first playthrough.
Hard is where the game really shines.

NeoUltima

So yeah this game is pretty amazing. Just got the ultra batclaw. Started out slow, but has really fleshed out. Amazing variety, and the combat is very satisfying even though it is simple.

666 said:
Playing this for the first time now, and it's pretty great. I've solved 3 Riddler riddles and I only understand how I did with 1 of them.

for the ones that are presented as actual riddles, what you have to do is find whatever it is he's describing. Press and hold whatever the search/scan button is with the object on screen and it'll solve it if you're right.

666 said:
thanks!

Any point to doing the challenge mode? Does it help with the campaign, like give you quicker upgrades?

Challenge modes are best attempted when you are done with single player. Challenge modes require the upgrades you obtain throughout the game.

And to answer your question, no it does not give you quicker upgrades. The point of the challenge mode is to to put stealth and combat skills to test. The stealth ones are especially tricky to figure out. However impossible it seems, the combat and stealth modes are realistic to achieve.

Lastly but not least to the point of doing challenge mode: trophies/achievements!

BeautifulMemory said:
Challenge modes are best attempted when you are done with single player. Challenge modes require the upgrades you obtain throughout the game.

And to answer your question, no it does not give you quicker upgrades. The point of the challenge mode is to to put stealth and combat skills to test. The stealth ones are especially tricky to figure out. However impossible it seems, the combat and stealth modes are realistic to achieve.

Lastly but not least to the point of doing challenge mode: trophies/achievements!

Cool, thanks. Won't bother with them till I finish the single player then. I wasn't very hyped on this game as these kind of games normally leave me cold, but this is a hell of a lot of fun! It's making me leave NSMB on the shelf for now, which is sad but how it is...

kuYuri

Got the platinum for this game. My God, some of those last combat challenges were tough. Took so many tries for me, especially Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme).

Filldough

Strider2K99 said:
Got the platinum for this game. My God, some of those last combat challenges were tough. Took so many tries for me, especially Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme).

Shock and Awe extreme almost cost me a full head of hair... Rumble in the Jungle felt like a cake walk in comparison. Even when I was kicking ass that damn timer would ruin everything!! I'm actually getting pissed just thinking about it haha!

Troidal

I'm probably about to face
The Croc
and I can say that this is the best action game of this generation that is based on American comics, or maybe two generations since I can't recall any from the PS2/Xbox era atm.

The fighting is satisfying, but the combo is hard to pull off (hate the "beep" sound when you fail a combo), and it does get repetitive after successive gameplay sessions. I try to limit myself to 1 hour a day. This weekend, I spent way over that so it started to get dull. Short bursts, short bursts...

Nice to hear most (or all?) VAs from Batman Animated Series are back in this too.

MoFuzz

Troidal said:
Nice to hear most (or all?) VAs from Batman Animated Series are back in this too.

I think Batman, Joker & Harley all use the same voice actors as the animated series. Would have been nice to get Gordon's old voice actor as well, as I found his voice in this game kind of jarring.

Doesn't help that it was obviously the same guy who did Amadeus Arkham, Quincy Sharp, etc. Their voices were all too similar for my liking.

Owensboro

I just popped this in for the first time last night and having a good time so far. Was only able to play for an hour, and in that time have already started to love the VA for Joker and Harlequin. Batman and Oracle....not so much. It's a shame too, because I remember loving the old Batman cartoon A LOT as a kid, his delivery on some of the lines just seems wrong. Mark Hamil as the Joker on the other hand, is amazing. I'm even loving the random crap he says as you are stalking through the Asylum.

I started on Normal (based on NeoUltima's reactions to the game), and I'm hoping I don't regret the choice. I've recently graduated from the "Play on hardest setting for the most challenge" to "play on normal and you will be infinitely less frustrated and enjoy the game more". It worked wonders for Uncharted 1, lets hope it does the same for this. I <3 Batman stuff.

Troidal

Haha, just when I thought it got repetitive with the whole "take down one guy, Bat hook up the gargoyle and wait, then take down the next guy"....Joker decides to spice things up :lol It wasnt that hard to deal with the enemies, and I love how the developers forced you to rethink your strategies a bit.

TheFallen

Haven't been in this thread for a while. But is anyone surprised that they seem to be done with DLC? Or has there been word of something new? It seemed like they had some big things planned originally.

Spike

TheFallen said:
Haven't been in this thread for a while. But is anyone surprised that they seem to be done with DLC? Or has there been word of something new? It seemed like they had some big things planned originally.

They stated on the official forums that there will be no more DLC. I think they did good with the DLC. It was all free and it was released in a timely manner. Sucks that Microsoft US didn't allow them to release the final DLC for free like they wanted to, so they didn't release it at all. At least you can create a UK acct and get it from there.

Hyunkel6

Spike said:
They stated on the official forums that there will be no more DLC. I think they did good with the DLC. It was all free and it was released in a timely manner. Sucks that Microsoft US didn't allow them to release the final DLC for free like they wanted to, so they didn't release it at all. At least you can create a UK acct and get it from there.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do I do this?

I'm loving this game. Just beat the first scarecrow part. It may be GOTY for me (or it may be AC2). But in my mind no way UC2 gets GOTY because its such a safe game that takes few risks and relies way too much on killing thousands of enemies instead of letting Drake do his job description (treasure hunting and exploration-- and the game shines when it does let you do that). On the other hand, this game really does put you in the role of Batman as a detective, puzzle solver and stealthy hero. The environments are gorgeous. I love how non-linear it is and how you can approach some of the areas in MANY different ways. Voice acting is awesome... I'm really really loving it. Its a smart game.

I can't believe how this developer (rocksteady) came out of nowhere and was able to be given the budget and was able to take the creative risks they did, but more power to them. They clearly have a few visonaries working for them who want to push the gaming medium forward instead of making dumb action games which relegate the mainstream's view of video games as a child's toy instead of an interactive experience.

** some may consider these screens as having light spoilers (from early in the game) **
ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0618-15-51.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0618-17-33.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0620-03-50.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0620-37-54.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0621-00-58.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0621-01-28.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0621-01-58.jpg

ShippingPC-BmGame2009-12-0622-04-52.jpg

ibu

Just beat this tonight on the PS3 and I have spent the last three days playing it... managed to get 48% of the trophies in one play through on Normal, the game was paced perfectly. The puzzles and cut scenes all balanced and each boss battle had the right level of difficulty to let you know when you died it was your fault and not the games.

Infact at no point in the game did I feel the game had glitched on me.

I shall be beginning this game again on the Harder difficulty after I have gone through all the Challenges. Looking forward to playing as the Joker as well, Mark Hamill I salute you for such an excellent job in voicing such an amazing character.

The suspense created in the game as well was excellent, especially in the sewers with Croc, my little brother (8) left the room as I was playing the surround sound scared the bejesus out of the poor lad, he loves Batman though, so I have got him Lego: Batman to quench his thirst for Batman.

But back to the game, I played the demo and enjoyed it... but played the game and was blown away.

If I had played this properly before voting for my game of the year it would have been in the top 2, behind Uncharted 2... Its THAT GOOD!!

Well done Rocksteady, cannot wait for the sequel.

MoFuzz

infinityBCRT said:
Big ass post

I couldn't help but notice you're running the unpatched version of the game. Patching to 1.1 gives you PhysX and benchmark options, if you're into that sort of thing. Pics look great though, and yes the game is untold amounts of awesome on PC!

Jirotrom said:
does the pc version have DLC?

Just the first 2 challenge maps.

LCfiner

I'm also late to the party with Batman. picked it up recently and spent all night playing. Just got to medical. So far so good. Really enjoying the presentation and the detective vision. The combat has been simple so far (playing on normal) but the incentives for major combos are nice and I like the brutality of some of the moves.

The stealth/ grappling hook system is a lot of fun but I think the AI is a little moronic when it comes to silent takedowns. they just stand there, eyes straight ahead while I suffocate guys just 2 feet behind them. I guess i would've preferred if you had to grapple away after doing the first takedown if the guys are too close together.

Anyway, I'll be playing more of this over the next couple of weeks as I mix in some Brutal Legend, Dragon Age and MUA2

I'm another one that's late to the party, this game was amazing! I loved discovering all the Riddler's Challenges, really liked the boss fights and the overall atmosphere. I can't wait to see the next Batman game!

Top Bottom