• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just finished the PC version. I still can hardly believe how good it was. The only game this year that I can say was better would be Demon's Souls. Everything about it came together nearly perfectly and the game just constantly drives you forward. Rocksteady deserves every bit of high praise and sales that they get.

jax (old)

Banned
I just got to the
riddler (well I just found the corpse of the corrupt cop that kidnapped gordon)
... and well, I'm not feeling it. :/ I can't believe how many grates batman has ripped/kicked already and I'm maybe 1+ hour in? Its very uneven. I also don't like the awkwardesque combat zoom ins/pauses etc etc which I feel break up the flow of combat. very janky I feel. Also though the climbing up the elevator sequence was sort of lame.

anyhow, I stopped playing. Might try again tomorrow.

Halcyon

I actually wasn't all that amazed with the game either. I had played the demo when it first came out and figured that was a good representation of the game(which I think it is now after playing it). I rented it last week and got a bit of the way through, maybe to the botanical gardens and I really don't understand where people are saying this game is amazing.

To me it's a decent game, but didn't do anything to hook me. I didn't really like the "gamey" mechanics of the detective mode and combat. The story wasn't sucking me in either. If I had never heard the reviews and hype on this game I woulda just assumed it was a 8-8.5 comic book game. I guess maybe my nerd boner for batman wasn't enough to makeup to make me think this was a goty candidate or anything. I just came off playing UC2 and AC2 so I may just be underwhelmed because of how amazing i think those two games are.

The scarecrow sections were pretty awesome though.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I completely loved it.

Started with the demo which came from nowhere, made the preorder, played it non-stop over the release weekend.

If the sequel is just as good we're in for a treat.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I finally finished this yesterday... it was great through and through! (though all the villain encounters were a little simple for my liking, but fun), and I am playing through again to get everything.

This is one of only two games this generation that I feel, despite my mounting back catalogue and incoming games purchases, I could feel good about spending time to replay all the way through (the other game being Punch-Out!!) I actually hoped that I could get through without Batman's cape getting all ripped and tattered through the adventure because I initially thought it was due to how much you'd get beaten up, but it seems like it happens on normal. Phooey. :(

Rocksteady, if you're reading this, you did an awesome job on this game. Very, very good fun and brilliantly designed. Here's hoping you do the announced sequel justice.

Yesterday I, too, started replaying this. Well, to be more accurate, I continued my Hard run which I had started about a month ago.

Anyway, I beat it again - this would be the third time - and got the Hard achievement. 1000/1000 now. Bring on the sequel. :D

jax (old)

Banned
added another hour to the playcount. still underwhelmed. More grates. then there's the 1 room with the "die to learn how to get past" - saving the doctor with the gel

1) she died when I gelled
one side of the wall - not both.
You couldn't/wouldn't have known it when you first entered the room

2) she died when
I didn't crouch past the window

... her death = my death = load screen. Um, why are people raving about this again?

and following this room, there is the gas room, instead of dying in the gas, you press R1 and you've "escaped" and climbed out via canned animations. I'm not liking this game much at the moment. The mechanics behind it feel very average to me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jax said:
added another hour to the playcount. still underwhelmed. More grates. then there's the 1 room with the "die to learn how to get past" - saving the doctor with the gel

2) she died when

... her death = my death = load screen. Um, why are people raving about this again?

and following this room, there is the gas room, instead of dying in the gas, you press R1 and you've "escaped" and climbed out via canned animations. I'm not liking this game much at the moment. The mechanics behind it feel very average to me.

You need to rescue the doctor, letting her die means you failed, hence the loading screen. Have you not played very many games? Plot-critical characters dying means game over. In Half-Life 2 if you manage to kill Alyx, it gives you a game over.... because the story is built to have her in it.

If you use your Batman vision I believe it shows you all of the areas to plant explosives.

LiK

Jax said:

2) she died when

You might be the first person to have a problem with that section. o_O

and the canned animation to save yourself is better than dropping to your death and see the game over screen.

I suggest you stop playing right now and move on to something else.

mr stroke

Picked this up on a deal and WOW. Glad I got a chance to play this before year end. Poop socked it for two days straight and beat it. Really satisfying experience, there is something about the way they constructed the game(very much like Uncharted 2) that is just keeps going and going, the structure and pacing of the game is so compelling and polished. One of my top games of the year.

(This is one of those games were reviews and word of mouth really helped, otherwise I would have missed it completely)

Halcyon

Jax said:

2) she died when

I pretty much get what you're saying about this game. I played through about half during my rental period of this game and my impressions are "It's an okay game I guess, but nothing on par with Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 for game of the year stuff. The mechanics are simple and "gamey". The interaction with characters and story is sorta bleh. I also wasn't really impressed with any of the upgrades I was getting. The fighting mechanic was also the same exact thing as the spiderman 2 game which I didn't enjoy.

I really don't understand the raving reviews. To me it's like if someone was saying that wolverine game was a 9+ game. I'm completely missing the boat on this one. I'm not even trying to troll or anything, i just kept waiting for the game to show its true colors or something and it never did. Makes me sad because I should like the game, I just don't.

jax (old)

Banned
HalcyonTB12 said:
I pretty much get what you're saying about this game. I played through about half during my rental period of this game and my impressions are "It's an okay game I guess, but nothing on par with Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 for game of the year stuff. The mechanics are simple and "gamey". The interaction with characters and story is sorta bleh. I also wasn't really impressed with any of the upgrades I was getting. The fighting mechanic was also the same exact thing as the spiderman 2 game which I didn't enjoy.

I really don't understand the raving reviews. To me it's like if someone was saying that wolverine game was a 9+ game. I'm completely missing the boat on this one. I'm not even trying to troll or anything, i just kept waiting for the game to show its true colors or something and it never did. Makes me sad because I should like the game, I just don't.

well got to
batcave
. got
bat grapple

so with the
grapple
. Its a new way to open grates while mashing a button.

and then I got to the snipers and the way to take them out, wasn't even really tough/strategic. the AI is dumbshit.

then I grappled down more grates... and got into the mansion again, and the puzzle involved getting through a series of ... wait for it...
grates
while the joker counts down about killing hostages and there's like 8
grates
to pull/kick and slinky corridors to rush through... and I think I am done with this game

boring combat.
boring ai
boring mechanics

why is this being raved about?

They should call it BATMAN ARKHAM GRATES GRATES GRATES ASYLUM.

LiK

Jax said:
well got to
batcave
. got
bat grapple

so with the
grapple
. Its a new way to open grates while mashing a button.

and then I got to the snipers and the way to take them out, wasn't even really tough/strategic. the AI is dumbshit.

then I grappled down more grates... and got into the mansion again, and the puzzle involved getting through a series of ... wait for it...
grates
while the joker counts down about killing hostages and there's like 8
grates
to pull/kick and slinky corridors to rush through... and I think I am done with this game

boring combat.
boring ai
boring mechanics

why is this being raved about?

They should call it BATMAN ARKHAM GRATES GRATES GRATES ASYLUM.
Like I said, move on to something else.

I'm finally starting to get through some of the titles of the year that I haven't got around to yet and first up was this game. As someone who only knows Batman via the Christian Bale films I never thought the game would be for me, but hell, the hype on podcasts was completely right.

I only started this morning and I'm already on my way to the Gardens. It flows ever so well which means there never seems to be an appropriate place to stop - I do one objective, which creates a new one, that I feel compelled to do, and the circle continues. I'm assuming I'm more than halfway through the game at the moment so it will probably be completed tomorrow. :lol

The gameplay is really solid - from the stealth, to the combat, and how you put to use all of your gadgets - but it's the story that's surprised me most. I mean this could have easily been a sequel to The Dark Knight, I'm enjoying the narrative that much.

Favourite moments so far:
- The fake bomb moment.
- The Joker asking what Batman's biggest fear is: "Me in a thong?"
- Sending the guard who is trapped in a gas room through a roof and then being able to turn off the gas.
- The Scarecrow sequences.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jax said:

2) she died when

You have got to be kidding me

54-46!

Just picked it up yesterday, havin loads of fun :)

Question: Can all Riddler trophies and other collectibles be picked later in the game (before the final boss or something)? or are there some that has to be picked up during a certain part of the game?

vehn

54-46! said:
Just picked it up yesterday, havin loads of fun :)

Question: Can all Riddler trophies and other collectibles be picked later in the game (before the final boss or something)? or are there some that has to be picked up during a certain part of the game?

when you finish the game you can walk around Arkhum and get everything then, but it's sorta boring doing it in an empty world so I'd try to get most of them as you're doing your playthrough, and just get the uber hard ones after

Whats the average playtime for a first playthrough?

I'm trying to skim posts from people saying they completed the game, and trying not to get spoiled with details.

Lothars

Prince of Space said:
Agreed 100%. The entire second half of UC2, I kept thinking how awesome the game WOULD be if they'd tweaked the gunplay from the first game, as it still became a chore after a while. Batman's my GOTY; hell, it's this gen's RE4 for me.

I disagree I played batman twice on 360 and once on PS3 so far and I think it's a great game but it's definitely not as good as Uncharted 2 which I think is my game of the year if not in my top 5 of the generation, batman is great but it's definitely not the best game of the year by any means to myself.

hermit7

Picked it up on Sunday for 35.00 via Amazon, but its a Christmas gift, and I can't play it until then
:(

Pretty excited to dive into it.

Lothars said:
I disagree I played batman twice on 360 and once on PS3 so far and I think it's a great game but it's definitely not as good as Uncharted 2 which I think is my game of the year if not in my top 5 of the generation, batman is great but it's definitely not the best game of the year by any means to myself.

Sentence of the year.

LiK

gregor7777 said:
Whats the average playtime for a first playthrough?

I'm trying to skim posts from people saying they completed the game, and trying not to get spoiled with details.

around 8-10 hours is the average time. i forget since i played both versions twice each, lol

I am a few hours in so far, loving the atmosphere and the stealth gameplay but man, the combat and the whole "vision" gimmick are getting old real fast.

Just finished it. Great game. My one complaint would it got a bit too "gamey" at the end, what with the
Titan mutants and living plants (hello, Resident Evil!)
and the last two boss fights were fairly generic.

Still, that doesn't outweigh the huge positives in my first post, and I'm now going to watch the trailer for the sequel like an excited school girl. :D

mYm|17|

Just beat it two days ago. I don't know what to say but WOW. Loved the combat and stealth gameplay.

Will have to beat it on hard but cousin wants to play it now

Flavius

Wife picked this up for me for Xmas and I've been having a blast with it today. I have gotten up to play with the kiddies every hour or so and check out their new toys with them, but it's nice that they're letting me geek out a bit since I rarely do this sort of thing anymore.

Hopefully this won't be taken as some sort of holier-than-thou tidbit, but when I opened it up, I noticed it was a used game. I asked the wifey what's up (only because I knew she wouldn't have ever picked up a used game for me, nor known where to procure one) and she told that she got it from Gamestop. She said the guy there told her they were out of the new ones and convinced her to pick it up used, because she wouldn't find it new anywhere else.

So...I woke my happy ass up this morning, took it back to Gamestop, got my money back (the guy tried to sell me a new copy...ha!), and headed over to Target to buy it new. I know it's already sold very well, but I'd much rather my copy count towards overall sales figures, rather than lining the pockets of those vultures. ;)

Wiggum2007

Wow, I completely dismissed this game when early previews came out as just some generic Batman-themed Brawler, and paid no attention to it at all until all the positive buzz finally drove me to pick this up last week.

I just played through the
second Scarecrow encounter
(how far into the game am I, btw?), and this is easily my game of the year so far. I've never been much into comics, but I was always a huge fan of the Batman animated series and movies growing up, and it is incredibly awesome to be playing a game where I can actually use all those gadgets and meet all those characters and villains. My only complaint is that I made the mistake of starting this before I finished Assassin's Creed II, and now I'm having a hard time going back to that game because it seems so bland in comparison.

sinnergy

I did it all on hard..
Titans pain in the ass.. or I am doing something wrong
Ivy, old skool pattern learning.. fucking hard..
now for the last
Titans and the joker
I am scared :(

Loved it all.

Hawk SE

So I 1000/1000 on 360

With the Steam sales I bought it on PC for a little less than asking price. I absolutely love this game. This game may be my new "most replayed" game.

sinnergy said:
I did it all on hard..
Titans pain in the ass.. or I am doing something wrong
Ivy, old skool pattern learning.. fucking hard..
now for the last
Titans and the joker
I am scared :(

Loved it all.

It depends on what you are doing, but remind yourself two things

1) You can hit Titans with Batrangs using autoaim

2) You can avoid Titans' attacks with dodge move

After that, it's really easier than it would seem.

quick question:

i just bought this game oof steam, can i use a 360 pad for it? i saw some pics here and it seems it has native support, but is it just for the GFWL version or does it work with steam too?

if not:

a cheap and easy way to implement them?

heinsmit

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
quick question:

i just bought this game oof steam, can i use a 360 pad for it? i saw some pics here and it seems it has native support, but is it just for the GFWL version or does it work with steam too?

if not:

a cheap and easy way to implement them?

It should work... otherwise you can use Xpadder, which assigns buttons from any recognised input (such as a 360 controller) to keyboard keys.

Antagon

Yeah, you can use the xbox 360 pad on the steam version. No other controllers are supported (can't use my ps2 pad) but that's not a problem because the keyboard / mouse controls are great. Loving the game even with the huge amount of grates and ventilation shafts.

Man, for those who Platinum'd this, I commend you. I don't know how you guys got the combat challenge trophies. I can barely get 1 bat medal, let alone 3. And you need to get 24! Holy shit!

Top Bottom