• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Shake Appeal said:
Great to see crow being served. There's a few of us who have been on this bandwagon from day one, and putting up with a lot of the cynicism about the title, especially after the "€ido$ are buying good reviews" debacle, was irksome.

The skepticism was warranted in this case. The developer was unproven. The game is based on licensed IP and the publisher decided to pull another "kane and lynch." I'm just glad that it's good. I'm thinking about ditching my amazon order and picking this game up early.

Dave1988

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Those alternate costumes, are they just a PC mod or are they unlockables for all the versions?

Mods. The only unlockable in the console versions is the armored batsuit.

Can anyone who works at Gamestop tell how the Scarecrow stuff is done?
Is it a code you get on purchase date or is it a card you get when you preorder?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man, you know what, those PC custom mods make the wait worthwhile :D

My hype for this game has gone from nothing to through the roof the past day or so!

TheFallen said:
Yea, but the same spoiler that's in their written review. So if you've already read that, you won't hear anything new.
Haven't read it, but after the gameplay demo, 10-minute intro, dozens of trailers, I still haven't seen enough of this game before I actually play it. :lol

I had no interest in the game, saw that the (PC) demo was up and thought I'd give it a try. Seemed very polished and fun to play, I especially like the Joker. I hope it'll be compatible with the Xbox 360 controller.

Zeliard

PumpkinPie said:
I had no interest in the game, saw that the (PC) demo was up and thought I'd give it a try. Seemed very polished and fun to play, I especially like the Joker. I hope it'll be compatible with the Xbox 360 controller.

It is perfectly compatible. In fact, you can start the demo playing with a keyboard and mouse, and as soon as you plug your 360 controller in, all of the icons and help messages and such switch to the 360 style instantly.

I believe all Games for Windows titles do this.

RavenFox

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
First post in the thread? Don't worry the 360 controller[PC] works 100%.

Dennis

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Yes the controller is compatible
Edit: color me beaten

kaskade

I've been pretty onboard with this game since it was announced even though I definitely had my doubts. Now after reading a few reviews I'm glad to see it's not just a good Batman game, but and overall really good game. Dreams do come true.

After that Arkham history trailer and reading about a certain situation revealed in the IGN review, I don't think I'm batman enough for this game. :(

Shockgamer said:
After that Arkham history trailer and reading about a certain situation revealed in the IGN review, I don't think I'm batman enough for this game. :(
There are too many good games coming out this year and I don't have enough money. It looks I'll be doing some robin.

DrBo42

Shockgamer said:

Buckethead said:
There are too many good games coming out this year and I don't have enough money. It looks I'll be doing some robin.

Well fine. I'm glad to be riddler both of you.

Oh god what have I done

Man if only stores would break streat date and the game could be sold today just in time for the weekend!

COME ON!!!!!! The wait is killercroc after all these reviews.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Man if only stores would break streat date and the game could be sold today just in time for the weekend!

COME ON!!!!!! The wait is killer after all these reviews.
You think the wait's bad for you?

Try having a broken 360 and waiting for the PC version!

netguy503

slasher_thrasher21 said:

COME ON!!!!!! The wait is killercroc after all these reviews.

The release is in less then a week!? Simma down now son.

netguy503 said:
The release is in less then a week!? Simma down now son.

I've been very patient... I have. The reviews just set me over board. And then hearing how alot of people have it already doesn't help.

But yes... Donna Summers... spelled backwards.... and slowed down... SUMMER DONA...SIMMA DOWNNN!

DrBo42

wideawakewesley said:
I amazed by all the review scores I've seen because the 360 demo was pretty bland. I can only assume the full game is a massive improvement.
The demo isn't a very good representation of the full game. Especially the combat.

DrBo42

Captain N said:
I just downloaded the Joker DLC and now the game is installing and making the wait that much more nuts!
My jealousy burns with the intensity of 1000 suns, but I'm happy for you. Give us impressions when you get a chance.

I am so torn...
The Toys R Us deal is too good to pass up, I mean a $30 gift card is almost another game...
But I REALLY want ths Scarecrow content.

calder

The great sale price at Walmart has me planning a trip to that Pit of Hell on Tuesday ($38? woo) but any store breaks release date this weekend and I'll gladly pay full pop now. :lol

Seriously, any stores in Winnipeg selling early? ;)

EDIT: hah, just noticed that Best Buy and Futureshop are not only matching Walmart's $38, but they're having the sale for 3 days. Nice.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
if this sells through the roof at the retailers that are selling it at sub $40, i wonder if tha'tll send a message about game prices. games cost more to make, but maybe raising the price of games was never the right answer to make up the difference.

OokieSpookie said:
I am so torn...
The Toys R Us deal is too good to pass up, I mean a $30 gift card is almost another game...
But I REALLY want ths Scarecrow content.

This is my dilema and nobody can see to tell me if past Gamestop exclusive DLC has been time exclusive or not. If I know I can buy it down the road, I'll skip Gamestop for sure.

Zeliard said:
It is perfectly compatible. In fact, you can start the demo playing with a keyboard and mouse, and as soon as you plug your 360 controller in, all of the icons and help messages and such switch to the 360 style instantly.

I believe all Games for Windows titles do this.

I thought MS stopped making Games For Windows? That was the reason I asked about the controller...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:
I believe it said 1.8gb and the opening is a little different than the demo.

That's about the same size as the demo. :O

Varth

Gully State said:
The skepticism was warranted in this case. The developer was unproven. The game is based on licensed IP and the publisher decided to pull another "kane and lynch." I'm just glad that it's good. I'm thinking about ditching my amazon order and picking this game up early.

Gotta admit I'm one of those who ate their crow and found it delicious (just finished review, gonna give it a 93 more or less). First screen got me MEH (hate the UE3 look with a passion), and to succeed it needed to nail combat+stealth+adventure+character feel. That's a toughie, really. Didn't help that the preview code had HUGE tearing.
After going trough review code, I think it not a *complete* success only in one of its ingredients (adventuring, to be precise). The game does a lot of things, and does em from well to EXTRA WELL (IE: combat system is on par with Godhand for depth).

GQman2121

Banned
I could go pick the game up right now from my import store, but I want to find out how GS is handling their exclusive content.

Is it in the case? Or is it a separate voucher card like their exclusive demos?

None of the stores I called could give me an answer. And not one had the vouchers in-store already, which is leading me to believe that the DLC codes are going to be inside either the game case or wrapped up in the plastic like Far Cry 2's content was last year.

Edit
GS said:
Reserve Batman: Arkham Asylum and receive a GameStop-Exclusive in-game “Dem Bones” Scarecrow Challenge Map. Available for online and in-store customers, while supplies last.

Online and Store Customers: Instructions to unlock the GameStop-Exclusive in-game “Dem Bones” Scarecrow Challenge Map will be packaged inside the game.

Damn it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Fuck I forgot about the PS3 Joker content.
I hope it's just a timed exclusive and they give 360 owners the chance to get the content later (I'll pay if I have to).

DoctorWho said:
I know GAF will hate me but this is the kind of look and feel I want from a Batman movie.

I'm with you bud. We'll die fighting.

On a related note, I've finally decided to pick up the PS3 version after much deliberation and a lot of toiling.

To cut a long story short, I didn't realise my TV was so poorly calibrated for my PS3 (sharpness setting was too hgh etc.) and was making the demo look like arse and so was thinking aboout getting Xbox 360 version instead. No longer my good firends!!

Top Bottom