• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ephemeris

Story spoilers:

that scarecrow
stuff was awesome.

Currently sneaking my way to
get the commish from harley.
(I'm progressing on a friend's game. To think I have to do all of this over when I get mine is :lol)

image-4C89_4A8726E8.jpg

jdogmoney

Ephemeris said:
Story spoilers:

that scarecrow
stuff was awesome.

Currently sneaking my way to
get the commish from harley.
(I'm progressing on a friend's game. To think I have to do all of this over when I get mine is :lol)

image-4C89_4A8726E8.jpg

Gah. I think I might have to quit this thread until I play through for myself.

Rass'nfrass'n not having the game RIGHT NOW.

The demo is really good (just a bit on the short side) so... yeah I will be probably end up getting this.

What exactly does Physix add in the pc version anyway?
I don't know where to get it:(

Dave1988

A heads up on the IGN video. You can find a picture of the final boss of the game in it. I gotta say, I'm a little dissapointed with the final boss.

Oh, and about the
Ra's Al Ghul bit in the IGN review. It's a nice little homage to the Nolanverse Bats.

EzLink

Banned
Fuck, started to watch GT review but stopped after a couple minutse. I realized that as closely as I've been following this game, I still haven't seen many set pieces other than the standard Arkham corridors so I figure why spoil it now

gibration

How exactly does the Toys R Us deal work? Do I have to pre-order the game? buy the game day 1? or just buy the game anytime of the week to get the $30 gift card?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Thought I'd throw up another review that a fellow colleague of mine put up on the net. I looked through the last 4 pages and didn't see it mentioned, so here we go :)

Strategy Informer: 9.5

So, is Arkham Asylum finally the game that Batman deserves then? Yes. Yes it is. And a whole lot more besides. Rewarding and engrossing in equal measure, the entire production reeks of quality from the stellar voice work to the jaw-dropping visuals and intuitive control system. Truly this is the Batman game that everybody’s been waiting for.

Ephemeris

gibration said:
How exactly does the Toys R Us deal work? Do I have to pre-order the game? buy the game day 1? or just buy the game anytime of the week to get the $30 gift card?

Sounds like you have to buy it day one.

EzLink said:
Fuck, started to watch GT review but stopped after a couple minutse. I realized that as closely as I've been following this game, I still haven't seen many set pieces other than the standard Arkham corridors so I figure why spoil it now
I agree.

And best
death scene
so far..

Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png

Shiiiit. I'm declaring it the best without even seeing the others.

It's hard to fathom, but despite how hyped I was for the game, it has most definitely met my expectations and more.

Non story spoilers: I
came when I did a 30x
combo.

Dave1988

Update on the armored batsuit: challenge mode ONLY. You can't use it in the story mode.

After you beat the game you can load up your save to before you fight the final boss. However, no enemies are present so the only thing you can do is collect the missing trophies/riddles. Lame.

I caved and cancelled my amazon order. At least I won't be tired to work on Wed. Looks like there are a lot of indie stores in the Los Angeles area that are breaking the street date.

Ephemeris

Dave1988 said:
Update on the armored batsuit: challenge mode ONLY. You can't use it in the story mode.

After you beat the game you can load up your save to before you fight the final boss. However, no enemies are present so the only thing you can do is collect the missing trophies/riddles. Lame.

Meh. Best to get them all before finishing then?

Dave1988

Ephemeris said:
Meh. Best to get them all before finishing then?

Looks like it. I'm bummed that there's no NG+. There's little to no incentive to go back to the Story Mode after you clear it :(

Ephemeris

Dave1988 said:
Looks like it. I'm bummed that there's no NG+. There's little to no incentive to go back to the Story Mode after you clear it :(
That's unfortunate. :/

Luckily the riddler stuff isn't *that* hard to find/accomplish since it's laid out for ya.

But still.. would have loved to start over keeping a few of the upgrades.

EzLink

Banned
Dave1988 said:

Fucking hell, that's bullshit :/ I was looking so forward to doing my second runthrough in the armored batsuit. Not to mention doing NG+ a few times. Damn it

wRATH2x

Banned
Well since a lot of people have got their games and are enjoying it, I feel I should ask, villains MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

EzLink

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Well since a lot of people have got their games and are enjoying it, I feel I should ask, villains MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

:lol :lol :lol

By the time someone answers you the game will already be out

Dave1988 said:

Aaaaaand there it is. I figured this was just too much great news for there not to be a draw back somewhere. This is one of those games that's perfect for a NG+, and I'm more than disappointed that there seems to be no option for that. Ahhhh well. Still hyped for it, but might wait for a deal, or trade ins later this year instead of a day 1 $60 purchase.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
Aaaaaand there it is. I figured this was just too much great news for there not to be a draw back somewhere. This is one of those games that's perfect for a NG+, and I'm more than disappointed that there seems to be no option for that. Ahhhh well. Still hyped for it, but might wait for a deal, or trade ins later this year instead of a day 1 $60 purchase.

Wuss. :p

Captain N

After playing this game for about an hour today..I'm in love. It makes me not even want to bother with any other comic book movie. More Companies need to do Comic Book and movie tie ins like this..of course with movie tie ins they don't have as much time to work on it.

Love it..not perfect, but still good and i am playing it on hard right now.

LOZLINK

managed to get my friend to snag an early copy :D
Anyways, Anyone know the answer's to riddlers riddle in Arkham north? I gotz the twiddledee and twiddledum, but dont know where the one with 2 dents and now i see it, now you dont ones are
Help plz :lol

GQman2121 said:
I could go pick the game up right now from my import store, but I want to find out how GS is handling their exclusive content.

Is it in the case? Or is it a separate voucher card like their exclusive demos?

None of the stores I called could give me an answer. And not one had the vouchers in-store already, which is leading me to believe that the DLC codes are going to be inside either the game case or wrapped up in the plastic like Far Cry 2's content was last year.

Edit

Damn it.

Wait does that mean they packed in a special collector's edition just for gamestop? Or does that mean the collector's edition doesn't have it?

Minamu

Are the riddles numbered or anything? I hate it when I have to work for my achievements :lol ie when they're stupid like the Creed flags. That's way too much work you know.

Volcynika

Minamu said:
Are the riddles numbered or anything? I hate it when I have to work for my achievements :lol ie when they're stupid like the Creed flags. That's way too much work you know.

I find this part of the post incredibly amusing :p

Yes I see the stupid ones part

Minamu said:
Each riddle has a "tile" in the Riddler's Challenge menu... so you'll always know which ones you're missing.

RS4-

Dave1988 said:

I guess it's a good thing I was trying to get everything asap unless it involved something I didn't have, like the batclaw, etc.

Eidos should have known better.

Chrange

Banned
Just finished it - best superhero game I've ever played.

The Scarecrow stuff was insane, especially the 'freezing up' and reboot to intro footage that they did. Scariest thing since Eternal Darkness. Final boss battle was a little meh, but overall just an incredible game.

I wish I had awesome mom and pop stores in my area selling it early. Damn yous!
But playing through Dead Space on Extra Pain in the Ass difficulty which is fun. :D

Found an inconsistency with the AI. I'll spoiler it as it kinda ruined the immersion for me.

Apparently while the armed goons can lose track of you, the unarmed ones don't. I was in the mansion room with like 10 unarmed goons and tried to pick them off one by one. I took out one silently and swung back up to the ceiling but then they were all immediately alerted and so I had 9 goons follow me to every gargoyle I swung to.

DieH@rd

Banned
This game is shaping up to be one of the best reviewed games of this year. I cant wait to play it [sadly i have to wait for PC version].

EzLink

Banned
After thinking more about it, I'm not all that upset about lack of NG+. I mean, we know it has a somewhat of a Metroidvania progression system, and for a game like this starting off the game with everything would probably lead to too much sequence breaking. My real problem is that you can't do Single Player with the armored batsuit. That is lame as hell. And I guess that crushes any hopes of having DLC costume packs for the main campaign as well. After all, if the unlockable costume that is already ON THE FUCKING DISC can't be used in anything other than challenge maps, I doubt any DLC would be compatible either. :(

Dave1988

EzLink said:
After thinking more about it, I'm not all that upset about lack of NG+. I mean, we know it has a somewhat of a Metroidvania progression system, and for a game like this starting off the game with everything would probably lead to too much sequence breaking. My real problem is that you can't do Single Player with the armored batsuit. That is lame as hell. And I guess that crushes any hopes of having DLC costume packs for the main campaign as well. After all, if the unlockable costume that is already ON THE FUCKING DISC can't be used in anything other than challenge maps, I doubt any DLC would be compatible either. :(

NG+ in BAA could be solved in this way: You keep all your upgrades but you have to gather all the equipment once more. The main reason for why I wanted for Bats to have a NG+ is that I don't want to have to collect all the trophies/riddles every time I want to replay the story campaing.

I guess the reason why thearmored Batsuit is unavailable in the campaign is beacuse all the cutscenes are not in real time. It would look stupid running around in the armored suit only to have it change back to the normal one during cutscenes.

Ephemeris

Loxley said:
Wow, this is definitely shaping up to be a GotY contender...
Cause it's awesome.
batman.gif

Dave1988 said:
NG+ in BAA could be solved in this way: You keep all your upgrades but you have to gather all the equipment once more. The main reason for why I wanted for Bats to have a NG+ is that I don't want to have to collect all the trophies/riddles every time I want to replay the story campaing.

Yeah, likewise. I know they couldn't give us all our equipment back cause that would mess with the flow of the game, but keeping upgrades like Inverted Takedown wouldn't have hurt anyone. Well.. except the badguys of course.

I guess the reason why thearmored Batsuit is unavailable in the campaign is beacuse all the cutscenes are not in real time. It would look stupid running around in the armored suit only to have it change back to the normal one during cutscenes.
Yeah I suppose, but didn't stop RE4 from doing it. Granted, it looked really silly at times.

Dave1988

Ephemeris said:
Yeah I suppose, but didn't stop RE4 from doing it. Granted, it looked really silly at times.

That was only in the PS2 version (and PC because it was a straight PS2 port), the NGC version of RE4 was all real time. It pisses me off that even though we have long since entered the next generation of consoles some devs still rely on prerendered cutscenes. It's only half bad when a game does not feature additional attire but when a game that does have bonus costumes does that it really strikes a nerve.

Ephemeris

Dave1988 said:
That was only in the PS2 version (and PC because it was a straight PS2 port), the NGC version of RE4 was all real time. It pisses me off that even though we have long since entered the next generation of consoles some devs still rely on prerendered cutscenes. It's only half bad when a game does not feature additional attire but when a game that does have bonus costumes does that it really strikes a nerve.

Yeah, pretty much. Hmm, I wonder if that's why we didn't have any more outfits included. Spiderman for the PSone had a ton of unlockable costumes. I've never seen that done again.:lol

painey

so to anyone who has played it, how hard is "hard" mode? I normally play games on Normal but if hard isnt totally OOT then i will go hard.

Top Bottom