• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ephemeris

painey said:
so to anyone who has played it, how hard is "hard" mode? I normally play games on Normal but if hard isnt totally OOT then i will go hard.

I messed around with it for a bit. Enemies took FOREVER to drop (compared to the demo). Was good for my combo score though.:lol

But then my friend got annoyed at the lack of counter-sense and went to normal. So I never played that far into it.

No45

Do we know if there's a fourth unlockable difficulty? I keep getting burned by playing games on the normal difficulty, then find I need to play them again on the next difficulty up to unlock the final difficulty. Been stung with this recently on Killzone 2, Uncharted and Resi 5 amongst others.

batbeg

Just pre-ordered from Amazon :D I would've gone for the Gamestation pre-order for the comic book, but this saved me £5, so... yeah.

Can't believe it. A little over 24 hours ago I didn't care about getting this at all.

Ephemeris

No45 said:
Do we know if there's a fourth unlockable difficulty? I keep getting burned by playing games on the normal difficulty, then find I need to play them again on the next difficulty up to unlock the final difficulty. Been stung with this recently on Killzone 2, Uncharted and Resi 5 amongst others.

I don't see any achievements for anything higher than Hard. So even if there is, you don't have to play it :p

Haeleos

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I totally expected this game to score 6's and 7's when I first saw it.

It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes. :)

Because Eidos doesn't allow reviewers to post reviews lower than 9 before the release date.

I need help deciding on PS3 or 360 version. I love me some achievements and have a better friends list on 360, but the Joker challenges are enticing. I like the 360 controller a little more than the DS3 but that's not a major issue. What do you guys think?

calder

I think the question has been asked about a hundred times in this thread already, and ultimately no one gives a shit which version you get.

Varth

Bauer91 said:
Awesome game. How much do I have left?

I just locked up Harley and went to the Botanical Gardens.

About 1h - 1,5h IIRC.

Do we know if there's a fourth unlockable difficulty?

There isn't. And of all games, this is the one you have to play on hard from the beginning.

Varth

Bauer91 said:
Thanks. Damn, too bad it isn't a bit longer.

Well, I'm talking about story progression only. It really depends on the way you play and how much you value finding everything. Being one of those "gotta catch em all" players, I found the game to be perfect in lenght, when played on hard. Anyway, expect to sweat your 3 stars rating on the challenges. There's a 5-10 hours left in it if you try.

Dave1988

Gryphter said:
I need help deciding on PS3 or 360 version. I love me some achievements and have a better friends list on 360, but the Joker challenges are enticing. I like the 360 controller a little more than the DS3 but that's not a major issue. What do you guys think?

Friend list is a moot point here beacuse there is no multiplayer whatsoever in B:AA and the game does have trophies. If you're interested in the Joker challenge rooms I'd say go for the PS3 version.

calder said:
I think the question has been asked about a hundred times in this thread already, and ultimately no one gives a shit which version you get.

You're not really helping here.

Bauer91

Varth said:
Well, I'm talking about story progression only. It really depends on the way you play and how much you value finding everything. Being one of those "gotta catch em all" players, I found the game to be perfect in lenght, when played on hard. Anyway, expect to sweat your 3 stars rating on the challenges. There's a 5-10 hours left in it if you try.

Yeah, the game is awesome for those players that just have to do and find everything, there's quite a few trophies to be found. I've yet to try any challenges, how are they?

AniHawk

Well... played the demo tonight and liked it despite the game being an eyesore in general. I could actually see myself playing the full game, but most of that is due to the big three voices they brought over from B:TAS.

Shame they couldn't get Bob Hastings. Tom Kane really sucks as Gordon. Mark Hamill sounds a little rusty, and so does Arleen Sorkin. Conroy never missed a beat though.

Question about the combat, which may or may not have been asked before.

Haven't exactly been keeping up with this thread so that I could avoid potential spoilers (stuff that hasn't been tagged for whatever reason), so here goes. The thing that bothered me most about the demo, was the lack of difficulty in the free-flow combat. I've read that the demo runs on Easy Mode and that the developers naturally limited Batman's move set in the demo (as in: not including every possible move), so I could look past that in the demo. Those however aren't my main concerns. The thing that bothered me most about the close combat, was that it seemed very much like Starfox Adventures. By this I mean that a bunch of bad guys will surround you, but regardless of them having a very clear advantage in numbers, they'll always attack you one by one and simply watch as you beat up their fellow goon until he's knocked-out or has been stunned for a brief while. Needless to say, this is a major pet-peeve of mine.

So what I'd like to know is, whether or not the A.I. still behaves like this when selecting the higher difficulties.

Varth

Bauer91 said:
Yeah, the game is awesome for those players that just have to do and find everything, there's quite a few trophies to be found. I've yet to try any challenges, how are they?

Predator ones are pretty simple, except maybe for the last one.
Freeflow... not so much. You really have to work on your combat style, know what tactics to use, take split second decitions. When you pull off a difficult challenge is soooo satisfacting. It's a shame the adventure itself doesn't force you enough to play this well in the game.
Anyway: I really suggest to play the more advanced ones only when you are fully equipped.

By this I mean that a bunch of bad guys will surround you, but regardless of them having a very clear advantage in numbers, they'll always attack you one by one and simply watch as you beat up their fellow goon until he's knocked-out or has been stunned for a brief while. Needless to say, this is a major pet-peeve of mine.

This is one of the reasons I suggest to play it on hard (demo looked sub-easy, when I played after finishing the game): while the enemies don' beat on you all together (game would become a clusterfuck, if they did), they definitely aren't the average "beat-em up bad guys" who wait their turn. Try to make a ground submission on an enemy without taking care of the surrounding ones, and it's a sure combo breaker. Lose control of the fight when surrounded, and you'll almost certainly get 3-4 punches from different directions. To me, it's a hell of a better system than any other scrolling beat em up I can name.

Combat looks easy just because, when in the game, you're fighting for game progression only, not for points, so you're allowed to play without using the system to its full extent. You ask me, game rewards way too well in exp for being playing like ass.

Ephemeris said:
Yeah, pretty much. Hmm, I wonder if that's why we didn't have any more outfits included. Spiderman for the PSone had a ton of unlockable costumes. I've never seen that done again.:lol

Possibly a licensing thing, or possibly DLC

RS4-

How do I get into
Dr. Young's
Office? This is after saving
Cash
in that bank-type area. Since the door locks up and the other way is blocked off by the shield.

RS4- said:
How do I get into
Dr. Young's
Office? This is after saving
Cash
in that bank-type area. Since the door locks up and the other way is blocked off by the shield.
Go in the adjacent room with the two cells (one belonging to Amadeus Arkham). Look up.

Dave1988 said:
Friend list is a moot point here beacuse there is no multiplayer whatsoever in B:AA and the game does have trophies. If you're interested in the Joker challenge rooms I'd say go for the PS3 version.

Thanks Dave. I'll have to keep thinking about it myself, I found some random screenshot comparison site and I think the 360 version looks better. I'm careful now after seeing the differences with Ghostbusters

Here's the link, you have to click the picture and then choose 360 or PS3 in the top corner of the pic that comes up

Gryphter said:
Thanks Dave. I'll have to keep thinking about it myself, I found some random screenshot comparison site and I think the 360 version looks better. I'm careful now after seeing the differences with Ghostbusters

Here's the link, you have to click the picture and then choose 360 or PS3 in the top corner of the pic that comes up
Each and every one of those shots is from a video cutscene. :lol

RS4-

Revolutionary said:
Go in the adjacent room with the two cells (one belonging to Amadeus Arkham). Look up.

Lol, I thought I went through that place thoroughly, only to find the riddle answer. I guess a ceiling fan or something obstructed my view. Gonna check it out later.

Thanks!

TheFallen

Gryphter said:

They're identical. Just get the PS3 version for the Joker maps. I know I would have preferred picking it up for the 360 (I have 0 PS3 friends, so challenge map leaderboards would've sucked on there) but you can't deny how enticing extra maps are.

Gamestop is doing a midnight release for this it seems...
Doing the marathon tomorrow to prep... Batman TAS, Batman Begins, Burton's Batman, Dark Knight...should be good times.

Isn't there a spike special this weekend too?

I'm having a really hard time deciding between which version to get 360 or PC, be nice to get it earlier but it looks nicer on my PC, but I can also resell or trade the 360 version, so many choices to make.

bucknuticus said:
I'm having a really hard time deciding between which version to get 360 or PC, be nice to get it earlier but it looks nicer on my PC, but I can also resell or trade the 360 version, so many choices to make.

Both

Get the 360 version at Toys R Us, and get the $30 gift card.
When the pc version comes out sell the 360 version (do NOT trade to Gstop) and use the gift card to get the pc version and come out ahead...

OokieSpookie said:
Both

Get the 360 version at Toys R Us, and get the $30 gift card.
When the pc version comes out sell the 360 version (do NOT trade to Gstop) and use the gift card to get the pc version and come out ahead...

Meh, i dont generally play games more than once, plus I have a gift card for amazon and eca discount so I can get 360 version for $32 and pc version for around $26ish.

kaskade

bucknuticus said:
Meh, i dont generally play games more than once, plus I have a gift card for amazon and eca discount so I can get 360 version for $32 and pc version for around $26ish.
Why don't you just rent it? That kind of seems like a waste of money if you aren't going to play it more than once.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Why don't you just rent it? That kind of seems like a waste of money if you aren't going to play it more than once.

I dont get through games fast enough to rent em lol. Ill play the whole game, and do all the challenges and 100% it, but after I do all that I generally dont go back to games.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
AniHawk said:
Well... played the demo tonight and liked it despite the game being an eyesore in general. I could actually see myself playing the full game, but most of that is due to the big three voices they brought over from B:TAS.

Shame they couldn't get Bob Hastings. Tom Kane really sucks as Gordon. Mark Hamill sounds a little rusty, and so does Arleen Sorkin. Conroy never missed a beat though.
Explain to me how you think the game is an eyesore, because I'm seriously interested in your thoughts. I thought the environments dripped with detail, the colors set an atmospheric mood, and character models displayed excellent texture work.

Also add me to the list of preorders :D

...I'm not even that big of a Batman fan. Pretty much The Animated Series cast (of which I was a big fan) and Metroid gameplay is what's pulling me in here.

I'm not sure why people have been complaining about the boss fights.
I've faced Bane and Scarecrow (the part where you have to avoid his gaze) and both of them so far are pretty fun.

NIGHT-

Gryphter said:

The joker content looks pretty boring to me from the youtube videos I watched.

I went with 360 for slightly better graphics better controller and achievements

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheExodu5 said:
Don't care all that much about playing as the Joker, but getting a friggin' Batcave appartment + Batmobile + Batsuit in Home is awesome.

Whoa you can get the Batsuit in HOME too?? Anyone know if you can go into the batmobile in the HOME batcave just like you do with ECO-1 in the ghostbusters firehouse?

Ephemeris

Hmm.

After getting the
BatClaw
I realized that I'm playing the game and the only upgrade I've bought so far is the Inverted Takedown. :/

Any recommendations as to what I should be buying asap? I could buy like 6.. :lol

NIGHT- said:
The joker content looks pretty boring to me from the youtube videos I watched.

I went with 360 for slightly better graphics better controller and achievements
:lol Boring? If you find the Joker challenges boring then I've got bad news for you, buddy! You won't be getting a good portion of the achievements you want (the Batman challenges). :p

They're far from boring. I've taken a real liking to the combat system and am always looking for ways to top myself, now (41x is my max, as the Joker). There's also tweaks to the general "beat guys up until they're all down" approach, like stopping them from acquiring weapons, or even beating them under a certain time limit (which can be quite challenging). Then there's the Predator challenges which are ENTIRELY different when you play as the Joker (Gargoyles aren't available, L2 doesn't activate x-ray vision, 1 bullet and 1 pair of Chattering Teeth). It's quite awesome, to say the least.

Ephemeris said:
Hmm.

After getting the
BatClaw
I realized that I'm playing the game and the only upgrade I've bought so far is the Inverted Takedown. :/

Any recommendations as to what I should be buying asap? I could buy like 6.. :lol
I'm guessing you aren't playing on Hard since you haven't found the need to upgrade your armor. :lol

Therefore, I suggest you go for all the unlockables to the left (combo ones). You'll be glad you have all those combat options when you get into the big brawls.

Revolutionary said:
:lol Boring? If you find the Joker challenges boring then I've got bad news for you, buddy! You won't be getting a good portion of the achievements you want (the Batman challenges). :p

They're far from boring. I've taken a real liking to the combat system and am always looking for ways to top myself, now (41x is my max, as the Joker). Then there's the Predator challenges which are ENTIRELY different when you play as the Joker (Gargoyles aren't available, L2 doesn't activate x-ray vision, 1 bullet and 1 pair of Chattering Teeth). It's quite awesome, to say the least.

I'm guessing you aren't playing on Hard since you haven't found the need to upgrade your armor. :lol

Therefore, I suggest you go for all the unlockables to the left (combo ones). You'll be glad you have all those combat options when you get into the big brawls.

All of which will be available at some point on XBL as DLC.

bigdaddygamebot said:
All of which will be available at some point on XBL as DLC.
Um. Ok?
He said they were boring. Not that they'll never be available on the 360 or something to that effect. :lol

NIGHT- said:
Personally, I'm not buying the game just to play the challenge modes. Either way the Joker challenge rooms just look alot more boring than playing as Batman. Maybe I'm wrong.
Very wrong.
I personally do hope that it's released for 360 at some point - it's quite awesome and everyone should play it.

Also, there's a brand spankin new soundtrack to accompany the Joker challenges. Think the Joker soundtrack from TAS.

NIGHT-

Personally, I'm not buying the game just to play the challenge modes. Either way the Joker challenge rooms just look alot more boring than playing as Batman. Maybe I'm wrong.

Redd

Do you get trophies if you complete the Joker rooms? I'm still deciding myself which version to get. That Batcave in Home is tempting though.

Do NOT let this thread turn into a "might happen" exclusive/not exclusive pool of bullshit like most of the other threads in this forum...

NIGHT- said:
I believe Sony paid for the Joker content. So we wont be seeing that as DLC for 360

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah the joker stuff will never be on 360 but that doesn't mean MS can't or didn't pay for some 360 exclusives!

Oh I guarantee they paid for "exclusivity" but paying for a limited window is a far cry from something permanent like, "Never" or "Ever".

If you have a source, I'd love to read it but like most 'wildly limited time offer and console-exclusive DLC' , I'm betting we'll see it eventually, possibly even before the year is up.

Ephemeris

Revolutionary said:

Yeah. I took over my friend's copy. :lol Thanks for the tip.

Another thing. I somehow unlocked a challenge-mode waay ahead of when I'm supposed to
Looks like the Poison Ivy area, but I've yet to see her in game
. Got it moments after finding the
sewer level
Riddler trophy. One of those guys has a
taser
weapon which made me reconsider my lack of upgrades.

Varth said:
Predator ones are pretty simple, except maybe for the last one.
Freeflow... not so much. You really have to work on your combat style, know what tactics to use, take split second decitions. When you pull off a difficult challenge is soooo satisfacting. It's a shame the adventure itself doesn't force you enough to play this well in the game.
Anyway: I really suggest to play the more advanced ones only when you are fully equipped.

This is one of the reasons I suggest to play it on hard (demo looked sub-easy, when I played after finishing the game): while the enemies don' beat on you all together (game would become a clusterfuck, if they did), they definitely aren't the average "beat-em up bad guys" who wait their turn. Try to make a ground submission on an enemy without taking care of the surrounding ones, and it's a sure combo breaker. Lose control of the fight when surrounded, and you'll almost certainly get 3-4 punches from different directions. To me, it's a hell of a better system than any other scrolling beat em up I can name.

Combat looks easy just because, when in the game, you're fighting for game progression only, not for points, so you're allowed to play without using the system to its full extent. You ask me, game rewards way too well in exp for being playing like ass.
Pretty spot on. Agree 100%
Revolutionary said:
Also, there's a brand spankin new soundtrack to accompany the Joker challenges. Think the Joker soundtrack from TAS.
Oh snap!

Top Bottom