• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Sanjuro

As much as I would like to check out the Joker map, it still isn't enough to sway me to purchase it on that console. I would like to see more specific enemy themed maps in the future as well as a possible sequel based off another graphic novel and not be used as a cheap sequel movie tie-in.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
...as well as a possible sequel based off another graphic novel...

This.

Or even additional "one off" missions back into Arkham, or additional missions that would simply plug into the over-arching story in single player mode, like Fallout 3s DLC.

That would be ever so nice.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Anyone who has beaten it wanna give a rough estimate to how long it took you?

MaxSteel

just wanted to pop in and say this is the best designed official game thread i've seen on this site - good job threadstarter

Ihya

If you have a source said:
most[/B] 'wildly limited time offer and console-exclusive DLC' , I'm betting we'll see it eventually, possibly even before the year is up.
In the Eidos forums official FAQ

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91193

"Platform Exclusive
(ATTN: As confirmed by Sefton Hill of Rocksteady, the Joker will only be playable on the PS3 and will not be playable on the 360 at anytime in the future. It is a permanent PS3-only exclusive. This is due to an exclusive deal that Sony has for the video game.)"

I'd say you'll be waiting quite a while, most likely forever, for the Joker DLC on 360. It's a victory for PS3, lets face it, it was due one after the swathe of recent DLC exclusives that have been claimed by 360.

Barrett2

K2Valor said:
Anyone who has beaten it wanna give a rough estimate to how long it took you?

This. I need a time estimate to know how I should pace myself. Now that I work from home, I have been known to slip into long gaming sessions. I Don't want to accidentally finish this in two days. :lol

TheFallen said:
They're identical. Just get the PS3 version for the Joker maps. I know I would have preferred picking it up for the 360 (I have 0 PS3 friends, so challenge map leaderboards would've sucked on there) but you can't deny how enticing extra maps are.

No they're not. The difference isn't huge or a deal breaker or anything but spouting false information helps no one. The 360 version has SSAO, 2xmsaa and a slightly better framerate, plus less tearing. Those differences might not bother you but that's besides the point, you should allow people to make an informed decision for themselves.

lawblob said:
This. I need a time estimate to know how I should pace myself. Now that I work from home, I have been known to slip into long gaming sessions. I Don't want to accidentally finish this in two days. :lol

Most reviewers are saying 9 hours.

Ephemeris

Ihya said:
In the Eidos forums official FAQ

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91193

"Platform Exclusive
(ATTN: As confirmed by Sefton Hill of Rocksteady, the Joker will only be playable on the PS3 and will not be playable on the 360 at anytime in the future. It is a permanent PS3-only exclusive. This is due to an exclusive deal that Sony has for the video game.)"

I'd say you'll be waiting quite a while, most likely forever, for the Joker DLC on 360. It's a victory for PS3, lets face it, it was due one after the swathe of recent DLC exclusives that have been claimed by 360.
DLC Wars.

Serious business.

Spike

Actually, something that needs clearing up.

There are no Joker specific challenge maps. They are the same 8 challenge maps that you unlock throughout playing the game. The only difference is that you get to play as the Joker on these same maps. Yes, the Joker plays differently because you cannot grapple to the gargoyles and you have a limited health bar, but you really are not getting any more levels, just the character.

It will be interesting to see if the PC version will get modded by the fan community and get him into the game. I think I remember seeing that they had already found some sections of code that may hint that they'll be able to mod him in.

Ephemeris

Spike said:

There are no Joker specific challenge maps. They are the same 8 challenge maps that you unlock throughout playing the game. The only difference is that you get to play as the Joker on these same maps. Yes, the Joker plays differently because you cannot grapple to the gargoyles and you have a limited health bar, but you really are not getting any more levels, just the character..
Is that so? Never knew. (Didn't watch Revo's vids when he was playing.)

Redd

Spike said:

There are no Joker specific challenge maps. They are the same 8 challenge maps that you unlock throughout playing the game. The only difference is that you get to play as the Joker on these same maps. Yes, the Joker plays differently because you cannot grapple to the gargoyles and you have a limited health bar, but you really are not getting any more levels, just the character.

So does anyone know if you get extra Trophies playing those challenges as the Joker.

Ephemeris

OokieSpookie said:
I think that this game is being robbed by not having avatars out there!
Is there anyone that can through a cowl and cape on Ash here?
I concur!
I suck at that kind of stuff.

Spike said:

It will be interesting to see if the PC version will get modded by the fan community and get him into the game. I think I remember seeing that they had already found some sections of code that may hint that they'll be able to mod him in.

Seriously? Can't believe people made a big deal about this if that's true. He'll likely be playable in the PC version within a month of release.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
brain_stew said:
Seriously? Can't believe people made a big deal about this if that's true. He'll likely be playable in the PC version within a month of release.

Will they mod in an ability for him to grapple? I'm assuming there are parts of the main game that will require you to grapple to pass...

brain_stew said:

Why people made a big deal out of it?
It is the god damned Joker...
Mr J?
The Clown Prince of Crime?

Saying "no big deal" is asinine and rather disingenuous I would think...

It is the same maps, but the play style and tactics needed are quite different.

Varth

Redd said:
So does anyone know if you get extra Trophies playing those challenges as the Joker.

3 trophies. They are already on the list, even before downloading the challenges.

And the Joker has weapons and features that make him play *very* different from Batman. The extra challenges feel very different from Batman's, and are actually pretty fun.

theluma

brain_stew said:

Judging by the incredible way the combat system works in Batman I'd still say the Joker is a helluva lot more than just a skin, since they will have ha to program his unique moveset to work with the free flow combat. Should be cool to see how he fights.

Also the trailer for the Scarecrow map is hilarious :D

TheFallen

brain_stew said:
Because it is a big deal? Clearly you thought the 360 had an advantage with its minor visual differences (unnoticeable to most players) but think an entirely new playable character with a whole different play style is not a big deal for the challenge maps? Pretty odd if you ask me.

ArjanN

OokieSpookie said:
Why people made a big deal out of it?
It is the god damned Joker...
Mr J?
The Clown Prince of Crime?

Saying "no big deal" is asinine and rather disingenuous I would think...

It is the same maps, but the play style and tactics needed are quite different.

I don't think it's so much about the Joker not being cool, but more that he's only in the challenge mode. Which I doubt will be all that interesting compared to the story mode.

TheFallen said:
Because it is a big deal? Clearly you thought the 360 had an advantage with its minor visual differences (unnoticeable to most players) but think an entirely new playable character with a whole different play style is not a big deal for the challenge maps? Pretty odd if you ask me.

I would trade in the joker for better AA any day. Joker sounds pretty boring to play as and there isn't even any new challenges with the joker.

But only got a ps3 so it's not like i wont download the joker, but really aa over the joker any day.

Spike said:

Wow i did not know this, I always thought it was more maps, guess i'm not missing out much then.

Downhome

I ended up saying screw it to the Amazon deal and the TRU deal even. I just don't have the money to plop down for a brand new game right now, so I took a handful of games to GameStop just now and ended up with enough credit to pay off the game, with an additional $15 or so left over. They are doing the "get an extra 25% trade credit when you put it on Batman" promotion, so I got pretty good credit for everything. Heck, they gave me almost $30 for Modern Warfare after that extra, along with my Edge card, or whatever it's called.

Then on top of everything, they're doing a midnight launch so I'll have this Monday night!!!

Spike

Varth said:
3 trophies. They are already on the list, even before downloading the challenges.

Really?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1017156p1.html

There's been some confusion on just what the exclusive Joker content is, so let's break this down. Right now, there's a free download on the PlayStation Store. When you grab it and pop in Arkham Asylum, you'll have the ability to choose the Joker when you load up the Challenge Mode. Note that you don't play the story as Joker; he's just an option for the challenge maps. Now, these are the same environments as Batman's challenge mode, so if you haven't unlocked one of the first eight challenge maps for Bats, you won't have that map for the Joker. These Joker challenges have there own leaderboards but don't add any new Trophies.

So is this IGN being ignorant again?

Redd

Varth said:

And the Joker has weapons and features that make him play *very* different from Batman. The extra challenges feel very different from Batman's, and are actually pretty fun.
If that's true I'm getting the PS3 version since I think people overreact a little too much about screen tearing and AA. Besides i get the freaking Batcave. The extra Joker trophies have been confirmed right?

Pimpbaa

brain_stew said:
The 360 version has SSAO, 2xmsaa and a slightly better framerate, plus less tearing.

Only thing I noticed when I compared the 360 and PS3 demos was the 2X anti-aliasing in the 360 version. I'd actually like some side by side comparisons showing the use of SSAO in the game. Because I cannot see it.

BeeDog

Pimpbaa said:
Only thing I noticed when I compared the 360 and PS3 demos was the 2X anti-aliasing in the 360 version. I'd actually like some side by side comparisons showing the use of SSAO in the game. Because I cannot see it.

The 360 version also has very dithered shadows, at least based on Chrange's (I think?) comparison pics a while back. :p

RavenFox

Banned
MaxSteel said:
just wanted to pop in and say this is the best designed official game thread i've seen on this site - good job threadstarter
Your a Junior so I'll let that pass:lol . Go find threads started by BruceLeeRoy

RavenFox

Banned
brain_stew said:
wtf is your problem? Its the goddamn Joker. Its a big deal to alot of people.

Pimpbaa said:

There were a few in the last thread. Its quite subtle because of the overall dark theme but its definitely there and a decent enough implementation. You'll be able to spot it quite easily when in the vents.

BeeDog said:
The 360 version also has very dithered shadows, at least based on Chrange's (I think?) comparison pics a while back. :p

Well its a personal preference that one. The dithering pattern covers up the jagged low resolution artefacts of the shadow maps but its questionable whether it improves the overall image. Its certainly not a technical deficiency just a artistic choice. Interestingly, the dithering is not present in the PC version (though I''m sure you could probably force it through the config file) and fwiw I prefer the look of shadowmaps without it.

RavenFox

Banned
Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
:lol :lol :lol

Indignation because of the joker. :lol
Just a fan like many. Its a free download and a nice bonus for the fans. Its people like you pushing an agenda. You make me sic with the emoticons.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RavenFox said:
Your a Junior so I'll let that pass:lol . Go find threads started by BruceLeeRoy

I really like the OP here because it's stylized, clever, yet remains to the point. BruceLeeRoy makes great threads, but I prefer them not so overblown.

JRW

Wow.. not sure how far I'm in the game ive put in around 10 hours and also been searching for all the riddles / trophies / interview tapes etc., This is definitely the best superhero game ever and definitely on my top 5 games of 2009, I recently got the security gate decrypter so I can now access a ton of areas I wasn't able to before.

FYI guys, I just saw this at CAG.

Order at Amazon and enter promo code "5OFFARKM" to get an additional five bucks off. They also have release date delivery! I got the whole deal for 52.97. (I canceled my previous order lol).

Wow.

TheFallen

Bpatrol said:
i dont think you can call other people out on being juniors when youre one yourself
They gave him the title "Junior Member" but he's not if you actually check his profile. Anyway, can we get back to Batman?

I played a good bit earlier today as they had it on display at Gamestop. I can see myself playing the game or even the challenge maps dozens of times. The combat is very rewarding and fun. Not sure about starting it on Hard mode though, the lack of counter indicator may cause too many deaths for me or at least keep my combos lackluster.

Top Bottom