• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

newsguy

I'm counting the hours until I can go home. It's saturday night and all I can think of is going home and playing more of this game. So fucking good. I knew the voice acting would be spot on, but OMG...

wRATH2x

Banned
First of all fuck you guys for not helping me out with the villains, cum gargling bitches.

I got the game, pretty damn awesome. I've played for 6 hours straight, oh and
the fucking scarecrow was really fucking awesome, the minute Batman found his parents I was surprised that they went there!
I really can't wait to dig deeper into this game. I also wanted to point that being a huge Batman TSA fan has me loving this even more. Like a lost episode or another animated movie in the series.

Oh, and fuck you guys, if that wasn't clear enough.

AniHawk

Mutagenic said:
Explain to me how you think the game is an eyesore, because I'm seriously interested in your thoughts. I thought the environments dripped with detail, the colors set an atmospheric mood, and character models displayed excellent texture work.

Everything looks like it's made of plastic, especially the characters. The art style is bearable in 2D (the character profile stuff) but it's ugly when you see it in-game. Just look at the Joker, how many teeth does he have? It's like they gave up and decided to make him look scary all the time. Why is Jim Gordon a body builder and what happened to his face?

This game would look better cel-shaded and it would age better too.

...But I do want to play it. The demo convinced me it wasn't a pile of shit like I thought it would be (the stealth and combat aspects seem to be there and some thought was put into them).

Spike

Varth said:
Well, they say they don't "add" new trophies. Technically, it is true. As I said, they are in the trophy list from the start, wich makes you wonder why they put them on PSN instead of the disk. I guess it's Sony's request to add new PSN users.

Nice, thanks for clearing that up.

EzLink

Banned
Wrath2X said:
First of all fuck you guys for not helping me out with the villains, cum gargling bitches.

:lol :lol :lol

I vote your tag be changed to "villains, motherfuckers!"

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game. Lucky bastard

Barakov

TouchMyBox said:
I'm guessing I'll pre-order this for $38. So I guess the PS3 version is the one to get then? (i only played the demo on pc)

I suppose if you want the Joker challenge room thing.

Ptaaty

Can someone explain to me how the addition of 2XAA along with more solid framerate and less tearing is not a big deal?

I mean, I am sure framerate and tearing differences are minor but addition of AA is pretty major IMHO.

Also is the avatar cape/mask true? would be sweet.

The joker matters not for me. If it were an actual game extension or level, yep...that would sway. Or play the whole game as him, etc. But just someone with less cool moves and health for a couple of the same challenges seems just marginal.

Is this because I am biased toward the 360? Or is the addition of AA/less tearing, avatar stuff offset a marginal use of the joker?

I will admit freely that if I see the same game on each platform I always go 360. Conditioned response at this point, now I don't know if I am just self justifying to not have to cramp my hands on the controller of the PS3....

This is great, really enjoyable based on the short demo. I've ordered the 360 version after downloading the demo on that console tonight for the sake of comparison - I was all set for PS3 due to the Joker stuff, but it actually looks substantially better on the 360. Don't get me wrong, Rocksteady have done a good job and this isn't a Ghostbusters situation but the subtle differences all add up.

I wish the roles were reversed (controllers both feel natural to me and aren't an issue, even though the 360's is actually better in most ways - I prefer the PS3 face buttons though) as I really like playing games on the slightly quieter PS3 with its slicker interface. But I cannot ignore the superiority of the 360 iteration.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Everything looks like it's made of plastic, especially the characters. The art style is bearable in 2D (the character profile stuff) but it's ugly when you see it in-game. Just look at the Joker, how many teeth does he have? It's like they gave up and decided to make him look scary all the time. Why is Jim Gordon a body builder and what happened to his face?

This game would look better cel-shaded and it would age better too.

...But I do want to play it. The demo convinced me it wasn't a pile of shit like I thought it would be (the stealth and combat aspects seem to be there and some thought was put into them).

no thanks.

AniHawk

Mr.NiceGuy said:
no thanks.

The 360 and PS3 are such powerful systems. It's amazing we don't see a whole lot of cel-shaded games. Imagine if this game looked more like an interactive Batman: The Animated Series. It would never age.

This is several orders of magnitude better looking than this.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
GOD DAMN I can't wait for this game. I just feel the need to tell everyone. You play as the fucking BATMAN! BATMAN! I've seriously played the demo at least 20 times.. I'm hoping the game is just as replayable for me. I also hope that it has some DLC in the future. :D

Johnas

So I have had really not paid much attention to this game, until today when I read in Game Informer that it has an overall item-based progression like Metroid or Zelda.

That definitely piqued my interest. Anybody who's played it for a decent length of time, was that a well-done, satisfying aspect of the game?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'll admit I went with the 360 version in the end-- the cleaner image meant a little more to me. I'm sure it'll be great on both platforms.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Mr.NiceGuy said:
no thanks.

KIDDYZ!!!111

It would be 'effin glorious.
PCS360 are gfx beast and a full blown, sleek, cel shaded Batman game would be damn sexy. Think comic book, a graphic novel style, maybe with dynamic panels sequences and all the overboard effects and tricks that could come with the fact that the game would practically be a 720p animated movie.

Downhome

I just went ahead and downloaded the Joker Challenge Map so that I'll already have it on my PS3 once I get the game Monday night. :D

EzLink

Banned
Fuck, these avvys with cowls and capes are making me envious :lol

If only I had the appropriate skills to do it myself, rest assured my Jinjo would turn into the goddam bat...jinjo? :p

DrBo42

Been playing for a few hours, it's fuck awesome. Hard is the only way to play this game gents, I'll say it now. Makes the combat so much more rewarding without the little warning indicator over the enemies heads.

iammeiam

Has anyone seen any first-hand impressions of the CE yet? I know the Batarang is plastic, but I'm wondering if it's a decently sturdy, solid plastic, or if it's cheap and disappointing. It's getting close to the cut-off to switch a CE order to standard, so I'm curious.

Ephemeris

Wrath2X said:

lolreaction430.png

Wrath2X said:
I got the game, pretty damn awesome. I've played for 6 hours straight, oh and
the fucking scarecrow was really fucking awesome, the minute Batman found his parents I was surprised that they went there!
I was surprised to see that there as well. I was like
wtf, scarecrow again?
. Way to keep me on my toes!

At this point, I think this sums it up best:
ephemeris-crazy-laugh935.png

And nice avatars btw!

taoofjord

So I just finished reading Hush... I have to say... what is up with all the hype behind this crappy story? It's just another Loeb story that gives him an excuse to throw in as many villains as possible for no good reason. The twist was obvious before the second chapter was over. It had very little depth and substance... instead spending too much time on cheesy and poorly written one-liners and uninteresting action. I was so hyped to read this and it was a pretty big letdown. :[ I guess I'll go re-read The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke while I wait to get my hands on this faaaaaantastic game.

SickBoy

Just curious for the people who have the game already on PS3 -- does it install? How are the loading times?

Not a massive deal, but would be nice to know.

Chrange

Banned
SickBoy said:
Just curious for the people who have the game already on PS3 -- does it install? How are the loading times?

Yeah, there's an install - something just over a GB but I can't remember exactly. Load times are okay. I think the 360 version (installed to HDD) loaded faster but I couldn't swear by it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
taoofjord said:
So I just finished reading Hush... I have to say... what is up with all the hype behind this crappy story? It's just another Loeb story that gives him an excuse to throw in as many villains as possible for no good reason. The twist was obvious before the second chapter was over. It had very little depth and substance... instead spending too much time on cheesy and poorly written one-liners and uninteresting action. I was so hyped to read this and it was a pretty big letdown. :[ I guess I'll go re-read The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke while I wait to get my hands on this faaaaaantastic game.
Hush is pretty terrible outside of jim lees awesome art.
And i guess the first half of it was good, i was massively disappointed in the second half though.
Alright question since the game is out now, what version is better graphically and technically 360 or PS3?

SickBoy said:

Load time is minimal. I hardly notice it.

Chrange

Banned
Lafiel said:
Hush is pretty terrible outside of jim lees awesome art.
And i guess the first half of it was good, i was massively disappointed in the second half though.
Alright question since the game is out now, what version is better graphically and technically 360 or PS3?

360 has better AA and less screen tearing. Neither issue is too bad, for the most part, since the game is pretty dark.

SickBoy

Chrange said:
Yeah, there's an install - something just over a GB but I can't remember exactly. Load times are okay. I think the 360 version (installed to HDD) loaded faster but I couldn't swear by it.

OMG! MANDATORY INSTALL! BOYCOTT!

No, seriously, thanks (and for the comparison). Not really sure which platform I'm getting it for. I prefer the 360 controller, but my PS3 has way more open HDD space, and while they're not a dealbreaker to me, sounds like the Joker maps are something worth having.

I just finished
locking up Harley Quinn and I'm a little upset that instead of fighting her, there's a cut scene of Batman taking her down.
Anyways, how far through the game am I?

Well, just got my Platinum. What a ride.

My GOTY thus far, easily.

I hope Rocksteady continues to support the game with DLC scenarios like (ending spoilers)
the Two-Face hold-up at the bank you can hear on Gordon's radio as the game ends
or something to that effect. That would be cool. :D

The impressions are exciting me quite a bit.

I just ordered the ps3 collector's edition from amazon for release date delivery. Can't wait :D

mattso

Since this is one of the few games I actually genuinely care about experiencing spoiler free (not even going to look at the achievements list like I usually will to get a sense of things I should try to do) I think this will be the last time I pop in to read this thread until I beat it. I am incredibly jealous of those of you who are already playing it and can not wait to join in the fun in a few days.

The difference between the ps3->360 looks much smaller than both consoles --> pc to me...

Most differences don't bother me, but then I tend to think of better graphics as quite large improvements (more geometry/detail, better textures, better lighting etc)

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
leng jai said:
Running a tiny monitor and pc speakers?

What if someone could find a way to hook up a gamepad to their PC? What if someone could hook up their PC to their TV? I'm just not sure but it seems like it would be possible for someone with the correct technical endowment. :p

CiSTM

Banned
Thehut.com has this for 41€ so if you haven't made your pre-order yet go to thehut.com

edit: PC-versio 29€

Hank The Tank said:
What if someone could find a way to hook up a gamepad to their PC? What if someone could hook up their PC to their TV? I'm just not sure but it seems like it would be possible for someone with the correct technical endowment. :p

HeadExplode.gif

leng jai said:
Running a tiny monitor and pc speakers?

I got a great set of headphones that are better than any speakers i have ever had, i actually enjoy them more than my surround sound and my 22" samsung is more than fine to play games on.

Top Bottom