• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Dennis

Banned
Hank The Tank said:
What if someone could find a way to hook up a gamepad to their PC? What if someone could hook up their PC to their TV? I'm just not sure but it seems like it would be possible for someone with the correct technical endowment. :p
My sarcasm-o-meter just exploded.

JRW

Hank The Tank said:
What if someone could find a way to hook up a gamepad to their PC? What if someone could hook up their PC to their TV? I'm just not sure but it seems like it would be possible for someone with the correct technical endowment. :p

Yep, and the Optical output on my X-Fi does wonders for outputting PC's audio to my Onkyo receiver.

Darkone

Finally a respectable and worth playing a game based on Comic book, now if only a Spiderman game will be like this, dreams may come true after all.

stupei

Darkone said:
Finally a respectable and worth playing a game based on Comic book, now if only a Spiderman game will be like this, dreams may come true after all.

Wolverine was pretty good. Not as good as this is, but certainly worth playing.

I'm currently fighting off an infection, so I'm only getting to play the game in bursts here and there. Every time I start to feel a little bit too loopy from the medication, I turn it off for a while. Want to experience all of it as fresh and alert as I can, though I admit I'm playing it on Normal for the first run through because my overall reaction times in everything I've tried doing over the past few days have been a little bit... delayed. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I seem to remember a spiderman game on PS1 that was really good. It may have actually been Spiderman 1 in the series by Activision. 2 was shitty but had good swinging and 3 was just asscrap in your face.

topofuji

Banned
Salivating at the mouth for this to release. Am I the only one that ordered the CE?

Seriously, I don't think an extra $30 is THAT bad for the swag you get with it, especially the considerably large display metal Batarang and other bonuses.
If you want to make fun of a $100 "CE", go look at Halo 3 ODST. :lol

Chrange said:
360 has better AA and less screen tearing. Neither issue is too bad, for the most part, since the game is pretty dark.

Better textures in a lot of places, too. I found the biggest difference with flooring - for anyone who wants to do a demo comparison, check the corridor just before you talk to the first NPC.

Cheech

topofuji said:
Salivating at the mouth for this to release. Am I the only one that ordered the CE?

Seriously, I don't think an extra $30 is THAT bad for the swag you get with it, especially the considerably large display metal Batarang and other bonuses.

The ODST CE isn't THAT bad. You get a *really* sweet 360 controller for essentially $40. Yeah, it's not exciting like a metal batarang, but more useful.

God damn, I cannot wait for Arkham Asylum. It hits on my last day of freedom before classes start. Setting my alarm for 8:30am so I can be at the store when they open, get it, come back to my house and play it all day.

topofuji

Banned
Cheech said:
The ODST CE isn't THAT bad. You get a *really* sweet 360 controller for essentially $40. Yeah, it's not exciting like a metal batarang, but more useful.

That vomit green controller is "sweet"?

EzLink

Banned
topofuji said:

Its plastic

Minamu said:
Damn, that was fast o_O
It's not that easy - I just played the shit out of it, and on Hard (so I got all 3 "beat the game" trophies at once).

In total it probably took me... a little over 20 hours. 14 or so for just the story, and the rest was just me messing around the island (Riddler challenges, etc.).

Just so you guys know I've got some Challenge Room gameplay up on my stream (On-Demand too), as well as a good portion of the Story (didn't play the game through live - didn't wanna spoil too much).
http://www.livestream.com/revolutionary
:D
I'll most likely be playing through the game again and streaming it in it's entirety, though. This time with my newfound combat skills (Challenge Room training ftw). -cracks knuckles

squicken

I'm playing the 360 version, but will trade it in as soon as I'm done towards PC version. I just couldn't wait. It's so fun.

But going back to the console version after playing the PC demo is tough. I'm hardly a PC elitist jerkwad, but it runs soooooo well on modest hardware.

I hope this is the future going forward. There's no good reason the PC ports of console games shouldn't run great on middling systems.

FrankT

Well I'm about to pre-order the 360 version. The demo and the strong reviews have convinced me which is saying a lot as I've bought few retail games this year. looking forward to it.

Ephemeris

Revolutionary said:
It's not that easy - I just played the shit out of it, and on Hard (so I got all 3 "beat the game" trophies at once).

In total it probably took me... a little over 20 hours. 14 or so for just the story, and the rest was just me messing around the island (Riddler challenges, etc.).

Just so you guys know I've got some Challenge Room gameplay up on my stream (On-Demand too), as well as a good portion of the Story (didn't play the game through live - didn't wanna spoil too much).
http://www.livestream.com/revolutionary
:D
I'll most likely be playing through the game again and streaming it in it's entirety, though. This time with my newfound combat skills (Challenge Room training ftw). -cracks knuckles
Good stuff!

Minamu

Revolutionary said:

alright that sounsd pretty good. I was a bit worried about the game being too short (ign said around 9 hours for the story :(). I know people here say you should play on Hard on the first playthrough but I think I'll go Normal anyway & Hard on the second. No warning signals in combat sounds scary ;)

JRW

TheDrowningMan said:
Better textures in a lot of places, too. I found the biggest difference with flooring - for anyone who wants to do a demo comparison, check the corridor just before you talk to the first NPC.

You sure about that? I noticed sometimes textures take a couple seconds to load in full detail and appear blurry at first.

So.. from what Ive gathered the 360 version advantages (graphically) are 2X AA, SSAO, Less screen tearing, more stable framerate, and some areas have higher res textures as well?!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think I'm going to pick up the 360 version, but really for no other reason than the fact that in my head, the controller matches the gameplay better.

I'm weird like that.

painey

thetrin said:
I think I'm going to pick up the 360 version, but really for no other reason than the fact that in my head, the controller matches the gameplay better.

I'm weird like that.

41VQBz5AYtL._SS400_.jpg

squicken said:
I'm playing the 360 version, but will trade it in as soon as I'm done towards PC version. I just couldn't wait. It's so fun.

But going back to the console version after playing the PC demo is tough. I'm hardly a PC elitist jerkwad, but it runs soooooo well on modest hardware.

I hope this is the future going forward. There's no good reason the PC ports of console games shouldn't run great on middling systems.

This has pretty much been the case for the past 2/3 years. All UE3 games run smooth as butter on very modest rigs on the PC side.

EzLink

Banned
Checked the Best Buy and TRU ad today... apparently you get the Batman TAS series Subzero/Mask of the Phantasm DVD movie double pack if you buy it there, and anybody can get the $20 giftcard if you buy at TRU (but reward zone members get a $30 gift card if they buy it the first day before 2 pm)

Thought some of you might be interested to know that

JRW said:
You sure about that? I noticed sometimes textures take a couple seconds to load in full detail and appear blurry at first.

So.. from what Ive gathered the 360 version advantages (graphically) are 2X AA, SSAO, Less screen tearing, more stable framerate, and some areas have higher res textures as well?!

Definitely higher res in places on 360. Though I hasten to add that the difference isn't such as to make the PS3 version a dud, nothing of the sort, but it's undoubtedly the inferior version. I was on the verge of buying the PS3 version but after checking out the 360 demo the visual discrepancy overruled the Joker challenge rooms.

scoobs

TheDrowningMan said:
Definitely higher res in places on 360. Though I hasten to add that the difference isn't such as to make the PS3 version a dud, nothing of the sort, but it's undoubtedly the inferior version. I was on the verge of buying the PS3 version but after checking out the 360 demo the visual discrepancy overruled the Joker challenge rooms.

If you really care that much about the visuals you'd wait for the PC version as it is the definitive version for graphics whores.

kaskade

TheDrowningMan said:
Yeah, I've played both demo version and I like playing the 360 version more, I thin it's because of the controller, I just like the feel of it that much more I guess. The 360 version also does look crisper to me.

If you can tell the difference b/t the 360 version and the PS3 version and that level of fidelity matters to you then you should get the PC version.

Barrett2

EzLink said:
Checked the Best Buy and TRU ad today... apparently you get the Batman TAS series Subzero/Mask of the Phantasm DVD movie double pack if you buy it there, and anybody can get the $20 giftcard if you buy at TRU (but reward zone members get a $30 gift card if they buy it the first day before 2 pm)

Nice. The only TRU near me is about a 30 minute drive, the only times i've been there the past three years are for these random game deals. :lol

Ephemeris

EzLink said:

I'd say TRU's the better deal. And you could sign up for the rewards thing for free.

I may be crazy enough to pick it up (again) on Tuesday because of it.

But who can blame me?
My parents are dead and fighting crime is how I cope.

squicken

brain_stew said:
This has pretty much been the case for the past 2/3 years. All UE3 games run smooth as butter on very modest rigs on the PC side.

The man himself. I'm hoping that is true, as I plan on playing Mass Effect that way.

witness

Wow I didn't know that gamestop would be selling Batman at midnight, just got a text and call from them about it. Since its all of a 2 minute drive away I'll be there.

squicken said:
The man himself. I'm hoping that is true, as I plan on playing Mass Effect that way.

It is. From my experience, Mass Effect PC is buttery smooth with reasonable hardware requirements. The only game that really taxes a PC right now is Crysis and even then if you build a comp now, you can get really great performance with high visuals

squicken said:

ME runs very well on PC, the framerate can plummet a little when things get hectic but since its a slower paced game I tend to lock the framerate at 30fps (www.tweakguides.com will tell you how to do this) and go utterly insane with the settings (I'm talking above even max PC settings here through config file tweaking) and image quality and still not get a single dropped frame or tear. Oh, and you can get rid of the horrible dithering shadows in the PC version! Yay! :D

Honestly I'm quite a fan of UE3 as a multiplatform engine as it pretty much guarantees an excellent PC version, and since the config file allows you to tweak so much stuff, you can really get the game looking precisely how you want it to. Its biggest issue initially was the horrible performance on the PS3 side, but things have improved hugely on that side now, and the PC and 360 iterations have always been really well optimised.

squicken

The only hesitation I have is I like DD 5.1 through my receiver. Unless I'm a total noob, I saw no such option in Batman's demo menu.

Gully State said:
If you can tell the difference b/t the 360 version and the PS3 version and that level of fidelity matters to you then you should get the PC version.

Yep

Hell I'm still getting the PS3 version anyway...

h3ro

squicken said:
The only hesitation I have is I like DD 5.1 through my receiver. Unless I'm a total noob, I saw no such option in Batman's demo menu.

If you have the system and your receiver set up properly, it will detect the highest quality track available on it's own.

Both the PS3 and 360 versions of the demo have DD5.1 tracks. No DTS track on the PS3 unfortunately.

Edit: oops PC version talk. :/ don't know if the PC version contains surround tracks.

JRW

TheDrowningMan said:

Hm well I compared ps3 / 360 demo's earlier and cannot find any differences in texture detail whatsoever, unless you know of a specific spot to compare? I looked at several floor / wall etc. textures. I have both consoles hooked up via HDMI / 50" Kuro plasma. Both versions look superb.

Whatever the case this is definitely NOTHING like the difference between Ghostbusters on PS3/360 (which was easily noticeable when comparing).

squicken said:

It support 5.1 (and 7.1) sound just fine like pretty much every PC game for the last decade.

Of course you need to have the thing properly setup. That means if you're using optical you need to be using a sound card that will do DDL encoding, otherwise connecting the analog outs may be your only option, though this is always preferable anyway. If you're using an ATI card then you can use the built in multi channel PCM over a HDMI connection as well.

Sanjuro

Lafiel said:
Hush is pretty terrible outside of jim lees awesome art.
And i guess the first half of it was good, i was massively disappointed in the second half though.
Alright question since the game is out now, what version is better graphically and technically 360 or PS3?
I wouldn't say Hush is terrible at all but I agree it is far from great. The Hush character they introduced is a pretty interesting one and has been used fairly well in some of Batman's recent story arcs especially Dini's.

Pimpbaa

JRW said:
Hm well I compared ps3 / 360 demo's earlier and cannot find any differences in texture detail whatsoever, unless you know of a specific spot to compare? I looked at several floor / wall etc. textures. I have both consoles hooked up via HDMI / 50" Kuro plasma. Both versions look superb.

Whatever the case this is definitely NOTHING like the difference between Ghostbusters on PS3/360 (which was easily noticeable when comparing).

I couldn't find any difference either. And differences in texture detail was definitely something I was looking for (I was running around most of the demo looking the floor).

squicken

brain_stew said:
It support 5.1 (and 7.1) sound just fine like pretty much every PC game for the last decade.

Of course you need to have the thing properly setup. That means if you're using optical you need to be using a sound card that will do DDL encoding, otherwise connecting the analog outs may be your only option, though this is always preferable anyway. If you're using an ATI card then you can use the built in multi channel PCM over a HDMI connection as well.

On-board sound, nvidia card, and no HDMI on my receiver anyway. Guess it's a choice between audio and video then :(

Top Bottom