• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DenogginizerOS said:
I played the demo on the PS3 and then went out last night and reserved it. :D
Isn't it great? It's surprisingly good, which is the best kind of good.

I had pre-ordered Arkham Asylum at GameStop, but I think that Toys R Us gift card deal is too hard to resist. I'll just move my money from Arkham at GS onto ODST, and knab that $20 gift card.

.GqueB.

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'm with you bud. We'll die fighting.

On a related note, I've finally decided to pick up the PS3 version after much deliberation and a lot of toiling.

To cut a long story short, I didn't realise my TV was so poorly calibrated for my PS3 (sharpness setting was too hgh etc.) and was making the demo look like arse and so was thinking aboout getting Xbox 360 version instead. No longer my good firends!!
I barely see why there is a debate to be honest.

How are you guys playing this game with a 360 pad? It felt clunky as hell. Batman requires the grace and majesty of the dual shock. Not the clunky and bumbling feel of the 360 controller.

Even when I was pressing the bumpers to do things it felt gross and out of place. And pressing those "feels like they are made from the hardest glass on earth" knobs they call buttons to perform Batmans amazing combos... yelch!

!HCLEY

Throwing batarangs is a bit of a chore sometimes though. I hate aiming with the DS. But Batman is good enough to lock onto enemies for me... even ones he cant see yet.

squicken said:
On-board sound, nvidia card, and no HDMI on my receiver anyway. Guess it's a choice between audio and video then :(

Nope, just connect the three analog outs to the multi channel phono inputs on your amp, this is the proffered method to hook your PC upto an amp anyway.

The audio will be much better quality than even the PS3 version this way, as it'll be uncompressed.

.GqueB. said:
I barely see why there is a debate to be honest.

How are you guys playing this game with a 360 pad? It felt clunky as hell. Batman requires the grace and majesty of the dual shock. Not the clunky and bumbling feel of the 360 controller.

Even when I was pressing the bumpers to do things it felt gross and out of place. And pressing those "feels like they are made from the hardest glass on earth" knobs they call buttons to perform Batmans amazing combos... yelch!

!HCLEY

Throwing batarangs is a bit of a chore sometimes though. I hate aiming with the DS. But Batman is good enough to lock onto enemies for me... even ones he cant see yet.

Really? I can't stand those mushy pea like things you call buttons on a DS3, even if they are pressure sensitive.

ToyMachine228 said:
I had pre-ordered Arkham Asylum at GameStop, but I think that Toys R Us gift card deal is too hard to resist. I'll just move my money from Arkham at GS onto ODST, and knab that $20 gift card.
Yea I just unreserved mine too. The midnight call made it harder but damn! gift card!

Karish

This game will go down as having one of the best introductions in any game ever. Better than Butcher Bay and on par with Bioshock IMO.

Cant wait for my game to arrive, watched some of the gametrailer review and got some boss fights ruined, so media blackout now.

Blakero said:
This game will go down as having one of the best introductions in any game ever. Better than Butcher Bay and on par with Bioshock IMO.

But not close to the brilliance of plumbers dont wear ties.

DrBo42

Only reason I stopped playing last night was because it was 4 AM and my eyes were literally aching. So far this is definitely one of my favorite action games ever. Most definitely the best superhero game ever, not even a contest. Wow.

mileS

Most of the time these demos are from earlier builds of the game(duh) and sometimes the 360 version is further along at that point in time. The demo is probably the same code that was shown at E3. Sometimes when the full game finally comes out the difference isn't as big if at all. The pixel counters will let us know soon i'm sure.

All i'm saying is I never completely trust the 360 vs PS3 comparisons until the final version of the game comes out.

Spoilers.... (Only for people who are pretty far in the game)

how awesome was it when your bat jet came down and delivered your grapple hook. I almost marked the hell out.

.GqueB.

Banned
Ogrekiller said:
Really? I can't stand those mushy pea like things you call buttons on a DS3, even if they are pressure sensitive.
But I can snap them and feel slightly more badass. You know the snap I mean. When you slide your finger off the bottom and it makes that sweet snap sound. Goes well with Batmans style and grace.

Try to do that with the 360 and you get this disgusting sounding thud. I was playing the demo before and while countering, (as Batman does) that gross sound raped my ears. He stopped and looked over his shoulder at me. Know what it looked like he was thinking:

"...youre kidding right?"

I just saw the most ridiculous game commercial since the NES days...and it was for this game. WTF was up with Batman smashing skeletons in a graveyard to ridiculous music. All we needed was "Bif. BAM! Boff!!" and we would have been back in the Adam West era.

Sanjuro

LiquidMetal14 said:
Street dated right? PS3 version awaiting.
People I guess have been snagging the PS3 version at Target. The PS3 version of the game is on their website and store locator.

Minamu

JRW said:
Hm well I compared ps3 / 360 demo's earlier and cannot find any differences in texture detail whatsoever, unless you know of a specific spot to compare? I looked at several floor / wall etc. textures. I have both consoles hooked up via HDMI / 50" Kuro plasma. Both versions look superb.

Whatever the case this is definitely NOTHING like the difference between Ghostbusters on PS3/360 (which was easily noticeable when comparing).
Has it really come to this? Comparing floor tiles across platforms? Why does it matter? Are you guys gonna feel bummed out for paying 60$ because the floor texture is a few % less crisp? :lol Can't you guys just use your imagination & consider the possibility of it being that way because Killer Croc made a poopie on the tiles? Or something.

Blakero said:

No. Not even. After Ledger took the Joker to a new level, I can't stand this one anymore. I just wanted the asshole to stop the inane bullshit. That and Batman threatening with silly one-liners....haven't we gotten beyond that in videogame writing?

The intro in the full game is VASTLY different from the demo version. they cut the demo up really well. I'm inclined to agree with Blakero. The intro is fantastic.

JRW

After playing both demos some more I did notice 360's has *slightly* sharper textures in some areas but its not really worth complaining about, The biggest difference I see is the lack of SSAO on PS3 version as shown below:

PS3 Notice the lack of a shadow under the body
PS3_Arkham_Demo.jpg

360 The lighting is also a little different on 360's.
360_Arkham_Demo.jpg

They both look better in person but that's the best I could do with this camera.

Ephemeris

DrBo42 said:
Only reason I stopped playing last night was because it was 4 AM and my eyes were literally aching. So far this is definitely one of my favorite action games ever. Most definitely the best superhero game ever, not even a contest. Wow.
I know the feeling. Though logically, the next step would be
to blindfold yourself and continue playing, using your ninja training
to guide you.

Worked for me.
batman.gif

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I wouldn't say Hush is terrible at all but I agree it is far from great. The Hush character they introduced is a pretty interesting one and has been used fairly well in some of Batman's recent story arcs especially Dini's.
Agreed.
"One Billion Dollars.."

BigNastyCurve said:
No. Not even. After Ledger took the Joker to a new level, I can't stand this one anymore. I just wanted the asshole to stop the inane bullshit. That and Batman threatening with silly one-liners....haven't we gotten beyond that in videogame writing?

Um...yeah. Wow. Are you fucking kidding with this? Batman: The Animated Series is without question, the finest animated superhero series ever. The fact that Conroy is Bats and Mark Fucking Hammil is the Joker makes the goddamn game.

As much as I loved Ledger's performance, and I love the Nolan films...this game does not take place in the film universe. This is based on the comics and TAS.

If you're such a Batman fan with that avatar, maybe expand your knowledge of cannon and of the entirety of Gotham.

Sanjuro

BigNastyCurve said:
Ledger didn't take the Joker to a new level. He helped create an alternate version of him similar to the several versions throughout the Batman mythos. A majority of the characters including Batman don't have a definitive version unlike say Spider-Man's.

witness

Wow it says its at my target which is literally right down the road from my house. Really thinking about getting it there right now and forgetting about the extra scarecrow challenge map.

Ephemeris

witness said:
Wow it says its at my target which is literally right down the road from my house. Really thinking about getting it there right now and forgetting about the extra scarecrow challenge map.

Do it. :D

Sanjuro

witness said:
I wouldn't guarantee each store will have them. However like in your situation it is a chance the restless can take with a store nearby. My opinion? The boxes shipped to them for the PS3 version possibly didn't have the orange stickers for release date warning. Some stores may have picked up on this, some may have not.

Captain N

I've been playing the game a little more and just feel like it's just moving from one room to the next beating up bad guys. I was hoping for a little more from the game. :(

BigNastyCurve said:

Ledger did not take the Joker to a new level, and to be honest I am so fucking sick of seeing Ledger's Joker everywhere I fucking look when I put in the word Joker.
The Joker has been awesome for many many many years, and if nothing else the Batman TAS version by Mark Hamill did more for the character than Ledger did.
All the asshats who barely knew who the Joker was before Dark Knight running around like they are experts all of the sudden.
Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum, Laughing Fish, Man Who Laughs, Clown at Midnight, Wild Card....those are the Joker.
This game has a fantastic version.

kaskade

witness said:
Why in the world would you not do this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OokieSpookie said:
Ledger did not take the Joker to a new level, and to be honest I am so fucking sick of seeing Ledger's Joker everywhere I fucking look when I put in the word Joker.
The Joker has been awesome for many many many years, and if nothing else the Batman TAS version by Mark Hamill did more for the character than Ledger did.
All the asshats who barely knew who the Joker was before Dark Knight running around like they are experts all of the sudden.
Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum, Laughing Fish, Man Who Laughs, Clown at Midnight, Wild Card....those are the Joker.
Thank you! This man is right.

Sanjuro

OokieSpookie said:
Don't sound so bitter. Popular is popular. Cesar Romero is just as important to the character if not more than the ones mentioned.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Don't sound so bitter. Popular is popular. Cesar Romero is just as important to the character if not more than the ones mentioned.

I loved Romero's version
I love Ledger's version too, I really do too.
But I do not see it as better or definitive at all.

Sanjuro

OokieSpookie said:
I loved Romero's version
I love Ledger's version too, I really do too.
But I do not see it as better or definitive at all.
That's what I said before, there is no definitive version of the character and same with Batman. Even in the main Batman comic series the current Joker is much different from Joker of the past. My point is all of the live action versions of the Joker are important and influenced the future writers/artists to come either subtle or not.

Barrett2

SanjuroTsubaki said:
People I guess have been snagging the PS3 version at Target. The PS3 version of the game is on their website and store locator.

You don't.....say....??

To the Civic-Mobile!!!

i dl the 360 demo and had the ps3 demo running at the same time (i would just switch inputs to see the differences).

the only thing i can see is the 360 version looks a little darker (sharper?). i didn't see any screen tearing on either platform. the performance was the same, up close shots were the same. maybe its my tv (46" samsung 720p) but they looked pretty much the same.

i like the 360 controller better but i can't resist the joker stuff, even if it is just playing as the joker in the same challenge levels!

my true question is will there be any chance to get the Dem Bones maps in DLC? i was going to go preorder with $5 down and just not pickup the game (like i did w/ madden), but apparently the code comes in the BOX and they dont just give it to you before hand :(

Sanjuro

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i dl the 360 demo and had the ps3 demo running at the same time (i would just switch inputs to see the differences).

the only thing i can see is the 360 version looks a little darker (sharper?). i didn't see any screen tearing on either platform. the performance was the same, up close shots were the same. maybe its my tv (46" samsung 720p) but they looked pretty much the same.

i like the 360 controller better but i can't resist the joker stuff, even if it is just playing as the joker in the same challenge levels!

my true question is will there be any chance to get the Dem Bones maps in DLC? i was going to go preorder with $5 down and just not pickup the game (like i did w/ madden), but apparently the code comes in the BOX and they dont just give it to you before hand :(
I'm sure you will see some codes pop up on ebay. I'm hoping you start seeing some random sellers get them in bulk somehow.

Captain N said:
I've been playing the game a little more and just feel like it's just moving from one room to the next beating up bad guys. I was hoping for a little more from the game. :(

How far along are you?

BTW, was anyone else fooled by
clayface? He disguised as the warden when I first entered and I tried to free him. Luckily (or unluckily?) the wall is explosive proof. I didn't realize it was him until I saw the sign and just continually checked on him as he would disguise himself as another character. That's an awesome touch.

DieH@rd

Banned
I expect that August NPD's are gonna be dominated by Batman! Its only bummer that it will contain only few days of sales.

What batman graphic novels are you recommending me? And put them in some nice chronological order, for easier reading.

Barakov

DieH@rd said:
I expect that August NPD's are gonna be dominated by Batman! Its only bummer that it will contain only few days of sales.

What batman graphic novels are you recommending me? And put them in some nice chronological order, for easier reading.

A Serious House on Serious Earth would be a good place to start.

Only 48 more hours.

scoobs said:
If you really care that much about the visuals you'd wait for the PC version as it is the definitive version for graphics whores.

Nah, I barely play games on PC and haven't for years. Too uncomfortable, too many times bitten in the past by computer problems, too unpredictable as to whether I'll have cash available for upgrades when I need them. Just offering my opinion on which console version looks better and why I opted for it. :)

JRW

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Yea the only real differance is the lack of shadows on PS3 version (pics posted above).

Gah I read the first couple of words in Gully's post, I thought I was in the Shadow Complex thread so spoilers weren't spoilers anymore. Goddamnit, hurry the hell up Thursday.

Top Bottom