• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Damn, got the call from Gamestop which was all messed up. It was funny how it said "Hi this is Allison from Gamestop calling to let you know that...." and then it would die. 10 seconds later it would start again but be shorter, die, and then 10 seconds later again but shorter. It got down to the point where it wsa just "Hi..." Thankfully I stayed on cuz eventually it somehow worked and they mentioned the midnight release so now I'm torn again.

Amazon:

- $20 Cheaper ( $8 off normal + $5 coupon + no tax)
- Release Day shipping so it would be here on Tuesday
- Could get damaged in the shipping

Gamestop:

- Have to pay tax on top of full price
- Can inspect to see the conditon before I purchase
- Exclusive Scarecrow level
- Midnight launch the day before
- Gamestop is practically across the street from me

So torn. I was going to just go with Amazon till they told me about the midnight launch. I'm assuming nobody else is in a similar dilema right?

KaYotiX

Banned
pixel monkey said:
1) It's not a level, it's a challenge room.

2) You can get it for twenty bucks less at Amazon.

3) Gamestop sucks.

What exactly is your dilemma?

Pretty much made your choice for you :D

rataplein said:
Didn't they said that the Scarecrow DLC would be available in 30 days for everyone?

Where is this stated? I haven't seen anything yet and everytime I've asked, nobody really knows. That definitely changes things a bit.

pixel monkey said:
1) It's not a level, it's a challenge room.

2) You can get it for twenty bucks less at Amazon.

3) Gamestop sucks.

What exactly is your dilemma?

Fine, challenge room, but it's still content. Have you seen the packaging for the collector's edition? it comes in that flimsy clear plastic box. Part of my concern on shipping is that it will get damaged in the process where as at Gamestop I can see first hand before I pay. Plus I also get it the night before where as Amazon will arrive sometime during the day. So there's that advantage. Ya, I know, patience, but it does factor in a little bit.

Raxus

I am honestly contemplating picking this up at Toys R Us instead for the 20$ gift card and just spending that on points.

Plissken

Is this $5 off coupon for Amazon somewhere on the web? Or is it something you had from a promo? For me, the $52.99, no tax, free release day delivery is making me grab it from Amazon, but if I can get an extra $5 off, even better! :D

Plissken said:
Is this $5 off coupon for Amazon somewhere on the web? Or is it something you had from a promo? For me, the $52.99, no tax, free release day delivery is making me grab it from Amazon, but if I can get an extra $5 off, even better! :D

use this at checkout.

5OFFARKM

MrMephistoX

OokieSpookie said:
Ledger did not take the Joker to a new level, and to be honest I am so fucking sick of seeing Ledger's Joker everywhere I fucking look when I put in the word Joker.
The Joker has been awesome for many many many years, and if nothing else the Batman TAS version by Mark Hamill did more for the character than Ledger did.
All the asshats who barely knew who the Joker was before Dark Knight running around like they are experts all of the sudden.
Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum, Laughing Fish, Man Who Laughs, Clown at Midnight, Wild Card....those are the Joker.
This game has a fantastic version.

Indeed.

wRATH2x

Banned
EzLink said:
:lol :lol :lol

I vote your tag be changed to "villains, motherfuckers!"

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game. Lucky bastard
I would want the tag to link to Ephemeris"s comic of me. But knowing the mods, I would not take it since it woulds not go my way. So I'm content with being the Hairy member of NeoGAF.

Ephemeris, my comic idea would make us more than mere gaffers, think about it.

I'm loving this game! easily my GOTY so far, and I played 09's best. I am stuck though.
I just beat some thugs with Harley running away, I need to shutdown whatever's electracuting the flooded water.

Flangus

Neo Member
My plan had been to price match the TRU deal at Best Buy and try to get $30 off the collector's edition. However, does the inclusion of the Mask of the Phantasm/Subzero DVD mean I wouldn't be able to price match for a full $30? Are they going to take whatever price the DVD has into account and deduct it from the price match discount? I love B:TAS, but I have Subzero on DVD and I read the version of MOTP on that DVD isn't very good (I think it wasn't anamorphic widescreen or something) so I'd much rather have the low price. Am I better off ordering off Amazon (especially since there's no guarantee the price match would work since TRU doesn't sell the collector's edition)? I'm looking at potentially $75 including tax from BB if they do a price match for a $30 discount versus $90 from Amazon with release day shipping.

Flangus said:
My plan had been to price match the TRU deal at Best Buy and try to get $30 off the collector's edition. However, does the inclusion of the Mask of the Phantasm/Subzero DVD mean I wouldn't be able to price match for a full $30? Are they going to take whatever price the DVD has into account and deduct it from the price match discount? I love B:TAS, but I have Subzero on DVD and I read the version of MOTP on that DVD isn't very good (I think it wasn't anamorphic widescreen or something) so I'd much rather have the low price. Am I better off ordering off Amazon (especially since there's no guarantee the price match would work since TRU doesn't sell the collector's edition)? I'm looking at potentially $75 including tax from BB if they do a price match for a $30 discount versus $90 from Amazon with release day shipping.

At Best Buy you can A) Price match the Toys R Us deal, which would take 30 off of the game to cover the card but you will not get Best Buy's promo of the 10 card and the dvds.
Or B) Take their deal.
The Toys R Us deal is better because the dvd set sells for 12.99 at Best Buy and that plus the 10 card still does not net 30.

Flangus

Neo Member
OokieSpookie said:
At Best Buy you can A) Price match the Toys R Us deal, which would take 30 off of the game to cover the card but you will not get Best Buy's promo of the 10 card and the dvds.
Or B) Take their deal.
The Toys R Us deal is better because the dvd set sells for 12.99 at Best Buy and that plus the 10 card still does not net 30.
You think I'll be good on PMing the $30 discount for the CE even though technically TRU doesn't have the CE so it's not the exact same product? It's not like the TRU ad specifically mentions "this offer doesn't apply to the Collector's Edition" because since they don't carry it that statement is unnecessary so I figure I'll be good

Barrett2

I actually played through the demo for a second time today. That never happens, I rarely ever play a demo for more than 3 minutes, let alone two times to completion.

First UFC, now this, I love these awesome games that come out of nowhere. :D

witness

ThePeacemaker02 said:
If anyone cares you can watch the whole first season of the animated series online via AOL Video. I think I'm going to eventually watch the whole series through though.

OMG! Bless you for providing this link, amazing. The memories are flooding back! :D

iammeiam

Early impressions of the CE just made me switch my Amazon preorder to standard. The Batarang is apparently overly cheap, the journal poorly constructed, and the discs don't even come in a real case. For a $70-ish MSRP, it might be worth it, but it doesn't sound worth $99.

iammeiam said:
Early impressions of the CE just made me switch my Amazon preorder to standard. The Batarang is apparently overly cheap, the journal poorly constructed, and the discs don't even come in a real case. For a $70-ish MSRP, it might be worth it, but it doesn't sound worth $99.

Where are these impresions? Any pics?

Marty Chinn said:
Where are these impresions? Any pics?

There were some pictures on gamefaqs.. and people saying that the doctor's journal wasn't much bigger or different than the color manual and others have said that the "weathering" used to make the batarang look like the real deal is kinda lame.

I decided against paying $90 for the CE just now and cancelled my amazon order. I'll go get it at midnight at Gamestop here in town instead, I think.

Daaammmn I just saw the GT review. I'm a batman fan so I was deffinately looking forward to this, but I wasn't expecting it to get outstanding reviews. Surprise hit of the year so far?

Jaeyden

Surprise? Maybe.....I think the demo and this (and the subsequent) thread prove this game is gonna be a real treat. I honestly have NEVER read a thread where so many people people talked about how many times they've actually played the demo because it was so awesome.
Really can't wait....prolly played the demo 20 times now :)

stupei

I hope this game sells like crazy because I want there to be a sequel so badly. (And not open world, but a similarly mostly linear experience, except set in Gotham proper. I'd completely give up the open world experience to have this kind of narrative cohesion.)

I think I'm about a fourth of the way through. (Anyone further along, feel free to correct me on that.) The biggest oh shit moment for me thus far (apart from
the psuedo Batcave
) just happened on my way
out of Arkham Mansion, when Scarecrow makes his return. Batman started coughing and I felt myself grinning in anticipation, but then cut to the rain and then the alleyway and it's just crazy how much this game gets so right.

It genuinely feels like a GOTY contender.

Robobandit said:
There were some pictures on gamefaqs.. and people saying that the doctor's journal wasn't much bigger or different than the color manual and others have said that the "weathering" used to make the batarang look like the real deal is kinda lame.

I decided against paying $90 for the CE just now and cancelled my amazon order. I'll go get it at midnight at Gamestop here in town instead, I think.

The only picture I saw was from E3 and I haven't found any hands on impressions of the CE. I've looked on both the 360 and ps3 boards. Could you point out where it is?

stupei said:
I hope this game sells like crazy because I want there to be a sequel so badly. (And not open world, but a similarly mostly linear experience, except set in Gotham proper. I'd completely give up the open world experience to have this kind of narrative cohesion.)

I think I'm about a fourth of the way through. (Anyone further along, feel free to correct me on that.) The biggest oh shit moment for me thus far (apart from
the psuedo Batcave
out of Arkham Mansion, when Scarecrow makes his return. Batman started coughing and I felt myself grinning in anticipation, but then cut to the rain and then the alleyway and it's just crazy how much this game gets so right.

I JUST finished the section that you spoiler tagged. It really is that good.

Chrange

Banned
stupei said:

the psuedo Batcave

Best part for me was
the 'restart' sequence

kaskade

The wait is killing me now, no stores are having midnight launches by me either. The walmart near me is open 24 hours a day, so wouldn't they just put it out at midnight anyway, or get it for me if I asked. Still, I don't know if I want to be at Wal-Mart after dusk.

Beat the game again tonight. This time on my Livestream channel (which currently has the whole playthrough on a loop). :D

Clocked in at just under 10 hours, with around 80% riddles solved... not bad for my second playthrough, I'd say. :p

Revolutionary said:
Beat the game again tonight. This time on my Livestream channel (which currently has the whole playthrough on a loop). :D

Clocked in at just under 10 hours, with around 80% riddles solved... not bad for my second playthrough, I'd say. :p

I'm trying to pace myself as I really want to savor it. I didn't want to beat it all in one weekend. BTW
I'm starting the botanical gardens,
how far through the game am I?

Gully State said:
I'm trying to pace myself as I really want to savor it. I didn't want to beat it all in one weekend. BTW
I'm starting the botanical gardens,
how far through the game am I?
Oh, I savored it. My first playthrough lasted a good 20 hours. lol

You're about 2/3 of the way through the game.

Revolutionary said:
Oh, I savored it. My first playthrough lasted a good 20 hours. lol

You're about 2/3 of the way through the game.

Ok I need to slow down. I'm flying through it. I spent some time playing joker in the 1st challenge room and the fighting doesn't feel that much different from batman. His stun takes a little bit longer (gas cloud) and instead of unlimited batarangs, he gets one insta-kill shot from his gun, which he shoots with such flair. It's actually pretty cool getting a 20+ combo and ending it with a behind the back shot captured in slow motion glory. I wish his animation set was 100% different from batman's though. There are some moves that don't make sense for joker (joker never picks up and tosses people).

stupei said:

Ideally, I would love to see an open world batman game but it would have to have a huge budget. Have the game be based on Batman: Year One where he fights normal crooks up until the end when he attracts the attention of one of the rogues. Then release episodes as DLC different campaigns featuring one supervillain each time.

JRW

I'm probably close to 20 hours now lol, I'm in the Botanical gardens (Wow, The graphics here....) but Ive been searching for ALL riddles / challenges etc. which is actually fun & challenging. I was already impressed earlier on but it just keeps getting better and better .. definitely a GOTY contender, The amount of polish in the audio / visual / story / voice acting etc. is insane.

DrBo42

Just finished it. The end battle does fizzle out a little bit compared to the rest of the game, most likely due to Dini. But overall a fantastic experience. Please make a sequel Rocksteady.

Sidzed2

To all those playing the game on PS3: is the retail game any different to the demo?

I ask because I've recently had the opportunity to download both demos and have to say that the 360 demo wipes the floor with the PS3 one, mostly in terms of the virbancy of the colours and the lighting. The opening room of the demo, for example, looks tremendous on 360, with a high contrast between the dark colous and light colours. The PS3 version looks a bit blander.

I am a PS3 gamer by nature, and gravitate to the Dual Shock controller and trophies, so I'm picking the game up on PS3, but I entertained the thought that perhaps the PS3 demo was from an older build than the 360 one and that might account for the little discrepancies.

Any thoughts from those with the final game?

Top Bottom