• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

EzLink

Banned
Well my nap was a failure, so I'm exhausted as hell (3 hours of sleep in the past 43 hours ftw), but I'm still gonna try and get this at midnight. All of you lucky fuckers who have beaten it already are making me so jealous :lol

I'm sorta worried though that I've had all the boss battles spoiled for me. I already know about
Joker, Quinn, Scarecrow, Bane, Ivy, Crock, Clayface, and Ra's (not sure if he is an actual boss fight, but still)
I know this is mainly because Rocksteady released all of this information a long time ago (save for the last two I mentioned... fuck you IGN!) but for a game that is only 9 hours long I'm having a hard time seeing how they could fit many more villains in. Oh well, even if that is the full list I'm still happy with it.

Downhome

Make multiple villains playable perhaps?

I wonder where the next game will take place, how much they'll open up the world, etc...

Ok, enough thinking about that for me, I can't wait for midnight tonight.

PumpkinPie said:
I'm holding out for the PC version, still another month to go for us UK'ers :(
Same, I can wait but it's going to be hard not searching for more info or youtube video's, want to dive in fresh for this game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
dragonflys545 said:
Wow, thats exactly where i went... Not Jnl this time thought.

Edit: Pic

082420091159.jpg

Wow lucky. I need to move to nyc.

neojubei

Marty Chinn said:
Man there are times I miss being game press. It's even been personalized.

Yea that would actually make for an awesome part of the LE edition but I can see parents being upset over a straight-jacket.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
To those who've played the game, what do you think of the challenge rooms? Are they just a minor distraction or something you could actually put some serious time into? I'm hoping they are addictive enough to make up for a short(ish) story mode.

Sean

Banned
So has anyones Amazon order shipped yet? I'm curious how it's supposedly going to arrive tomorrow (release date delivery) when it hasn't even shipped yet.

Ephemeris

Hmmm. Anyone mention this?

"New free downloadable content coming soon!" the news item announces.

No details have been revealed by Ubisoft and it isn't the PS3 exclusive playable Joker piece either as it applies for both the Xbox 360 and PS3 version.

Snuggler said:
To those who've played the game, what do you think of the challenge rooms? Are they just a minor distraction or something you could actually put some serious time into? I'm hoping they are addictive enough to make up for a short(ish) story mode.

Honestly? I LOVE the challenge rooms. I realized that sometimes when I take a break from the story I often end up putting some time in the challenge modes than doing-whatever-I-was-taking-the-break-for.

Snuggler said:

I've only played the first challenge room so far and I spent an hour on it. It's actually kind of addictive trying to chain together combos in an attempt to get as high of a score as you can get. It might not be for everyone as if you don't enjoy the mechanics of the game, you probably won't like it.

neojubei

Eidos or Warner should consider bundling the movie, the Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum together as a blu-ray set, one is the greatest batman movie made and other is the best Batman game made and the main villain of both is the Joker.

I almost wish this game had a steelbook edition.

Ephemeris

Gully State said:
Hopefully it's not just Dem Bones.
Agreed. Though I heard that's a GS exclusive for about 3 months, and possibly Crime-Alley. But I have no good sources to back it up with.

neojubei said:
Eidos or Warner should consider bundling the movie, the Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum together as a blu-ray set, one is the greatest batman movie made and other is the best Batman game made and the main villain of both is the Joker.

Could have been a console pack in!

edit:

Aljosa said:
Does anyone know if the achievements for difficulty stack?
I'm 99.9999% sure they do :D

Aljosa said:
Does anyone know if the achievements for difficulty stack?
Of course they do.
If there was a difference between the "Big Bang" and "Bigger Bang" achievement icons, it would play out as a nice 3 frame animation, too. But alas, only the Biggest Bang one is different.

neojubei said:

I was really disappointed when I went to Toy R Us yesterday and they had NOTHING for Batman at all.
No figures, no toys, no nothing..
Would have been a great way to push the game and pick up some add on sales.
Best Buy didn't have any of the animated dvds...not TAS, not any of the TAS movies.

Hopefully people will buy this game instead of saying they will and then not or being a cheap ass and screwing the devs over by buying it used.

neojubei

OokieSpookie said:
I was really disappointed when I went to Toy R Us yesterday and they had NOTHING for Batman at all.
No figures, no toys, no nothing..
Would have been a great way to push the game and pick up some add on sales.
Best Buy didn't have any of the animated dvds...not TAS, not any of the TAS movies.

Hopefully people will buy this game instead of saying they will and then not or being a cheap ass and screwing the devs over by buying it used.

That is crazy!! If I was a Best Buy store manager I would hold off on the booze and make a special kiosk near the entrance with Arkham Asylum for both PS3 and 360 along with the Batman movies and TAS boxsets, maybe they could push some of the TDK batman mask special blu-ray editions off the shelves, those things are hideous.

Just had an urge to watch the Dark Knight on Blu-ray again. :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Revolutionary said:
Of course they do.
If there was a difference between the "Big Bang" and "Bigger Bang" achievement icons, it would play out as a nice 3 frame animation, too. But alas, only the Biggest Bang one is different.

You said you got a platinum on your first play, right? So you started on Hard? Is that a good place to start, as in no frustrating moments and such?

JRW

Can anyone that's playing tell me how I'm suppose to
blow up the structurally weak walls that are to high up & out of reach of the standard explosive gel? I keep seeing these out of reach walls all over the place and its driving me nuts!

Thanks!

JRW said:
Can anyone that's playing tell me how I'm suppose to
blow up the structurally weak walls that are to high up & out of reach of the standard explosive gel? I keep seeing these out of reach walls all over the place and its driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Your batclaw gets upgraded to be able to pull down structurally-weak walls.

neojubei said:
That is crazy!! If I was a Best Buy store manager I would hold off on the booze and make a special kiosk near the entrance with Arkham Asylum for both PS3 and 360 along with the Batman movies and TAS boxsets, maybe they could push some of the TDK batman mask special blu-ray editions off the shelves, those things are hideous.

Just had an urge to watch the Dark Knight on Blu-ray again. :D

I was totally looking to spend money if I found anything that I did not have as far as figures or the animated movies.
I think that the stores underestimated the quality of the game and missed a great chance...

I did a TAS- Begins-Dark Knight marathon yesterday to get in the mood, was good times.

Papercuts said:
You said you got a platinum on your first play, right? So you started on Hard? Is that a good place to start, as in no frustrating moments and such?
Shortly after my first playthrough, yeah.
As for Hard being a "good place to start"... it was for me. I never played it on Normal so I can't speak for that, but Hard was extremely satsifying everytime you take out a room full of baddies silently (pretty much had to - 2 shots and you're dead) , or take down 10+ thugs mano-a-mano.

You can only take a certain amount of hits, though... so yeah. It's up to you, really.

As for frustrating moments, there can be a lot at the early stages of the game when you don't truly now how to do the sneaking scenarios or how to fight a roomful of baddies without getting touched...
But once you do, it makes it that much more satisfying, accomplishing those feats.
I. AM. BATMAN!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Revolutionary said:
As for Hard being a "good place to start"... it was for me. I never played it on Normal so I can't speak for that, but Hard was extremely satsifying everytime you take out a room full of baddies silently (pretty much had to - 2 shots and you're dead) , or take down 10+ thugs mano-a-mano.

You can only take a certain amount of hits, though... so yeah. It's up to you, really.

As for frustrating moments, there can be a lot at the early stages of the game when you don't truly now how to do the sneaking scenarios or how to fight a roomful of baddies without getting touched...
But once you do, it makes it that much more satisfying, accomplishing those feats.
I. AM. BATMAN!

Thanks, I think I'll try it out on Hard because I found the demo way too easy...though I believe that was actually set to easy, so eh.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sean said:
So has anyones Amazon order shipped yet? I'm curious how it's supposedly going to arrive tomorrow (release date delivery) when it hasn't even shipped yet.

Nope, mine still hasn't shipped, it's just been in shipping soon mode all day. I have had shipping emails from amazon sent to me as late at 9:30 ish pm eastern time before.

spidye said:
for the sequel I want an open world gotham and some batmobil love. the design of this one was so cool.

Batmobile = Yes

Open world = No, thank you

If they make the sequel open world, it won't look anything like this. Open world means massive graphical compromises. Do not want.

Ephemeris

Revolutionary said:
I. AM. BATMAN!

Yup!

Wrath2X said:
Whats this about Clayface and Ra's?

Well.. you see #2 before #1.

#1 -
The room where the warden is..umm.. where you get the hacking device. Downstairs, you may have seen Cash stuck in a cell prior to getting the device. When I went back down, the warden was there instead lol. If you go into detective mode, you'll see he doesn't have a skeleton either..
Pretty neat detail if you ask me.

#2 -
Remember the morgue? One of the bodies has a tag on the toes with his name on it.

wRATH2x

Banned
Ephemeris said:
#1 -
The room where the warden is..umm.. where you get the hacking device. Downstairs, you may have seen Cash stuck in a cell prior to getting the device. When I went back down, the warden was there instead lol. If you go into detective mode, you'll see he doesn't have a skeleton either..
Pretty neat detail if you ask me.

#2 -
Remember the morgue? One of the bodies has a tag on the toes with his name on it.
Oh
I saw those but I meant boss fights, I mean scarface was in the game but it didn't do much, Zsaz did nothing special. Two-Face was mentioned but never appeared. The Riddler has he's riddle's. So I'm kinda disappointed in there not being much of the rogue gallery.

Raxus

Revolutionary said:

I. AM. BATMAN!
This. The game provides you with plenty of upgrades to help you take out the bad guys in the shadows.
I am actually surprised so many people in some videos have trouble getting 10+ hit combos. Once I had combos down I could take out a group of 3 unarmed thugs without breaking a sweat.

neojubei

Just thinking about the time GAF was making fun of this game with the upside down batman photoshops, kind of reminded me of the thread when Heath Ledger was announced to play the Joker.

Just putting that out there. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Volcynika said:

Same here. This is my first time doing the release date shipping thing. If it doesn't ship until tomorrow they better be bringing it to me by jet because I'd be mighty disapointed if I couldn't play this game.

Ephemeris

Wrath2X said:
Oh
I saw those but I meant boss fights, I mean scarface was in the game but it didn't do much, Zsaz did nothing special. Two-Face was mentioned but never appeared. The Riddler has he's riddle's. So I'm kinda disappointed in there not being much of the rogue gallery.
Ah, I got ya.

neojubei

I'm too antsy to order this online so I pre-ordered with gamestop. I already know that if the game shipped on time UPS will find some way to screw it up.

If anyone in Miami wants the game I found it at a Target on Bird Road and like 87th ave, the one across from Tropical Park. I didnt buy it cause I want the TRU deal.

Gully State said:
btw, do joker's henchmen respawn in already beaten buildings? There are some areas I'd love to go through again.

While in the main storyline, yes they can. Once you've completed the game...no, they do not.

JdFoX187

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Damn it Amazon, ship already!
I'm thinking the same thing. It says "shipping soon" and my cc was just charged, but still no dice. I hope it gets here tomorrow :( Opted for the Xbox 360 version over PC version so I could play it early.

Top Bottom