• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

EzLink said:
Oh thank God! I was already planning on having to wait until Wednesday. This is epic :D
Bah, I assume mine will come a day early as its a pre-order, but even then that's the 27th :( At least the 3-day weekend makes up slightly for you guys getting it earlier :lol

Sanjuro

I'm not buying this game. They should have included a multiplayer mode where you can play with 16 of your friends as the various villains in the game and watch yourself be beaten to a pulp by the goddam Batman.

Spike

I'm between a rock and a hard place right now.

I am a huge Batman fan, and accordingly have the PS3 CE preordered at EB. I did the T3G1F deal, and I have to put in another $30+tax to get the CE edition.

Then, Walmart Canada goes and throws a monkey wrench into the plans with their spectacular $38.83 pricing for the regular editions.

So, I'm at a loss now. I don't know which way to go. I really want the Crime Alley challenge maps, and it is still unkown if they'll ever be available outside of the CE. I also really would like the Scarecrow challenge map that comes from the EB edition.

I'm guessing that the Scarecrow map is going to be a standard code that is the same for every version of the game, excepting of course it'll be different for the platforms themselves. So, I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to post it, or create a temp account where others could download it. It's just the Crime Alley maps.

So, what are you guys getting? Who's going for the CE? Who's going for the regular version?

Just a heads up to anyone interested in Batman and considering a PC upgrade for some PhysX goodness, most GTX 260s and GTX 275s on Newegg are now shipping with a free copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum. Pretty damn nice deal if you ask me. I use a GTX 260 and ran the demo at 1080p, with higher than max settings, 4xmsaa + transparency supersampling (this is a huge resource hog btw), 8xaf and PhysX effects and with my framerate capped at 30fps I get a rock solid refresh.

If you were planning on buying the game already its as little as a $100 upgrade once its all said and done, which is great considering the performance you're getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127430

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127429

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143183

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143140

The "free Nvidia gift" is revealed as Batman: AA once you add your chosen GPU to the cart.

ruxtpin

Banned
Spike said:
So, what are you guys getting? Who's going for the CE? Who's going for the regular version?

I picked up the standard PS3 version from amazon. Wanted to play the Joker parts, and it comes with a little comic book too! =P And with the money I saved from pre-ordering it and the coupon, I went ahead and bought the full Arkham Asylum comic paperback.

Spike said:

I am a huge Batman fan, and accordingly have the PS3 CE preordered at EB. I did the T3G1F deal, and I have to put in another $30+tax to get the CE edition.

Then, Walmart Canada goes and throws a monkey wrench into the plans with their spectacular $38.83 pricing for the regular editions.

So, I'm at a loss now. I don't know which way to go. I really want the Crime Alley challenge maps, and it is still unkown if they'll ever be available outside of the CE. I also really would like the Scarecrow challenge map that comes from the EB edition.

I'm guessing that the Scarecrow map is going to be a standard code that is the same for every version of the game, excepting of course it'll be different for the platforms themselves. So, I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to post it, or create a temp account where others could download it. It's just the Crime Alley maps.

You raise an important question my good man. One I've been mulling over tirelessly since last week (woe is me).

As I stand, I massively prefer the visual fidelity in the Xbox 360 version. Yes, sadly I can tell the difference and that difference is actually a little more than just AA + SSAO.

The PS3 however has the Joker rooms but I have no idea how good they'll be.

I'm also marginally preferring the PS3 controller for this but I'm flexible.

Wierdly, at the moment it looks like I'll be pre-ordering the Xbox 360 version from Game to get the Dem Bones maps. I'm not 100% though.

Parham

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm not buying this game. They should have included a multiplayer mode where you can play with 16 of your friends as the various villains in the game and watch yourself be beaten to a pulp by the goddam Batman.

That would be great. :lol

TheFallen

Spike said:

Fairly certain the Crime Alley maps from the CE are available to everyone, but buying the CE gives you access to them immediately. (I believe this is instead of unlocking it via in-game progress). The Scarecrow map however seems to be a real exclusive for pre-orders ala the Infamous extra power. For me, I'm going with the regular PS3 edition pre-ordered at Gamestop. Joker maps and Scarecrow maps with that. I'd have preferred the 360 version for the leaderboards, but playable Joker on a few maps is hard to pass up.

Spike

LabouredSubterfuge said:
As I stand, I massively prefer the visual fidelity in the Xbox 360 version. Yes, sadly I can tell the difference and that difference is actually a little more than just AA + SSAO.

Yeah, I noticed the difference too. But, I bumped up the brightness setting in the game a little since it was too dark to begin with, and the PS3 version looked quite a bit better.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just watched Batman Begins out of excitement for this game. God damn Batman is awesome.

Apparently some people on the ps3 gamefaq message boards have been able to get the game early from some shops

batmancover.jpg

batmandisc.jpg

witness

Watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time since the mid 90s and that movie still rocks. Also Batman, '89, was on tv the other night, and for me it really just doesn't hold up. Though that batmobile looks fucking amazing and is still my favorite one.

Curious about all of the take downs joker will have, batman's are just brutal and I'm excited about what the joker's will be. In one of the trailers I saw it showed joker pulling out his classic oversized six-shooter so I hope that is one of them.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
tehvampire said:
Apparently some people on the ps3 gamefaq message boards have been able to get the game early from some shops

DAAAAMN YOU GFAQERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAAAAAAMN YOU!!!!!!

Red

If someone manages to nab a copy, any early impressions would be more than welcome. Preordered mine on amazon, gonna have to wait till the 28th.

Ephemeris

LabouredSubterfuge said:
:lol :lol

Aye, maybe I am.

At the moment I'm incorporating: Batarang, Strike, Evade, Counter, Cape Stun, Floor Takedown and Brutal Takedown (my term). Hmmm, my meagre math. skills tell me that's 7 although I wasn't sure that evade couted into the variation bonus.

Maybe it's that I'm starting with a batarang rather than incorporating it into the middle of a combo? Maybe I should always start with either a counter or strike and then fit everything else in from there.

*Strokes chiselled jaw with fierce deliberation*

There we go. Don't start with the batarang. Infact, I don't think that counts as a combo move till after the 3rd strike.

azentium said:
Ephemeris is going to be pissed. :lol
Ohyeah.png

too lazy to shop the thug saying he bought the game early.

Ephemeris

Robobandit said:
holy crap.. I already wanted this game... but now.. i need to stop watching this stuff.. it'll spoil the game for me.

One more week to go! If you can't find it early anyways.

EzLink

Banned
Just watched the Joker gameplay footage and damn, it sure would be nice to be able to play as him (360 owner). Yes, he does seem pretty gimped and of course not as fun as Bats himself, but it would still be a nice change of pace from time to time. Plus, y'know, the fact that it's the fucking Joker makes it badass enough alone. I love his walking animation :lol

And daaaamn I'm so tempted to read that boss battle spoiler and watch the fight, but I'm resisting :/

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The first bit of that video is so out of left field, gameplay-wise, from what I imagined , and I highly recommend NOT watching it, because it'll ruin what looks like a coooooool scene/bit/experience.

LQX

Text in the OP is very hard to read. Anyway was there any mention on weather the PC version will use any stupid DRM? Contemplating weather to get it or the 360 version.

Lothars

MiamiWesker said:
So why is the game $40 in Canada and what is stopping me from price matching it.

I don't know, I didn't even realize it was going to be 40 in canada but I will be picking it up now especially for that price because I was originally to going to rent the game but I look forward to buying it now.

I really enjoyed the demo :)

tehvampire said:

batmancover.jpg

batmandisc.jpg

I'm tempted to go and pick up a copy since apparently I live like 3 blocks from that store.

Red

Gully State said:
I'm tempted to go and pick up a copy since apparently I live like 3 blocks from that store.
Doesn't sound like there is any downside to this arrangement.

EzLink said:
What's stopping you? I'd be all over that for sure

Little bit on the busy side this week and I already have the game preordered off amazon. It's just another 7 days anyways, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

EzLink

Banned
Gully State said:
Little bit on the busy side this week and I already have the game preordered off amazon. It's just another 7 days anyways, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Ah, yeah. And you would probably have it beaten before any of us even got it, so you'd already be done with your first time while all of us are delving in together :D

Pirahna

This is coming out just at the perfect time.

I'm in the middle of building a new gaming rig - parts will be in on Friday. Triple sli with 3 GTX 275's to support a TripleHead2go unit outputing to 3 22" monitors - surround gaming here I come. The best part is - getting Arkham with one of the GTX's I ordered free.

[Borat]Very nice[/Borat]

batbeg

Awesome OP. I'm probably going to wait until I can pick the game up for cheap, though... though I've still not played the demo. That may change my mind.

Eric WK

batbeg said:
Awesome OP. I'm probably going to wait until I can pick the game up for cheap, though... though I've still not played the demo. That may change my mind.

I was sort of in that boat until the GI review. I mean, their scale is pretty much 6-10, but they don't throw out 9.5s very often at all. Unless the rest of the major outlets have a very different opinion, there's no reason to think I won't be buying this day one.

And the demo is good. Play it.

Top Bottom