• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Chrange

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Anyone else walk around in areas even though they could run only because you want to stay in character and you know Batman wouldn't be running around at that point? :D

I tend to skulk more than walk, just because I don't particularly find his walk very 'Batman'

Thinking about stopping where I am at now and restarting on hard, but one question...
I am now
where you first come across giant scarecrow
and have still not
unlocked any challenge rooms...

Is that right?
I like to think I have been at least somewhat good at finding things...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I bet I know what part that everyone's stuck on
Post-Chandolier

I was stuck there for 20 minutes myself. My Suggestion
on the other side of the mansion, after saving Cash. In that other, single door, that goes into a Boiler room-like hallway, go into the vent near the door that won't open. After coming out into a room with 2 cells, check the ceilings for another opening. Should be self explanatory from here on, towards the finding of THE DOOOOOCTORS NOTES

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Marty Chinn said:
Anyone else walk around in areas even though they could run only because you want to stay in character and you know Batman wouldn't be running around at that point? :D
I do this all the time. :lol
It makes it more cinematic and more like the BATMAN.

JRW

Chrange said:
Trying to clear all the riddles, I'm stuck on Arkham Mansion....chattering teeth! I'm missing one of the 20, and can't figure out where it is. I've walked through the entire place with my volume way up just so I could maybe hear it lol

Im having the same problem in the mansion except im missing 3 chattering teeth, I have everything else. I wouldn't normally miss any teeth during a mission so these must be in an unusual place.

Ive already finished the game im just trying to finish up the riddles (at 211 of 240) It's to bad theres no music or enemies after finishing the game tho.

Just got it today.

Starts a little different to the demo, I'm getting into it much more than I did with that. Intro was cool.

Not going to play any more until I get my Slim. Does anyone know if the save file for this is transferable?

Joei

Hmmm.... the
Bane
fight took me a few tries and was definitely good, I'm surprised people are dissatisfied with the boss fights. Then afterwards, when I heard
No Bane, this time I break you!
That was just... just awesome~

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PROBLEM, I'm at the part where
you drop that big chandelier thing from the ceiling and free the 2 docs from the bomb. I need to find the documents/paperwork, where the hell is it?

I must street, the game is so, so good.

This game is fantastic. It's like BB/TDK had sex with Batman TAS and this is the offspring.

It helps SOOO much that the classic voices are here. I'm hoping Mr. Freeze is in this game, and that he has his TAS voice.

This game is so fucking good i got it yesterday and I'm up to the
Batcave
. Its been great so far I've been consciously taking my time, and for the first time I didn't look at the trophies because I like it that much and I want to play it as many times as I can. This game was a big sleeper for me but I can't say in words how much I like it. And WTF? Unreal engine has no pop-in issues anymore, or did Rocksteady optimize it heavily?

EzLink

Banned
Finished

Game of the fucking year without question. Will probably end up cracking my top 5 list too

I just must mention one more time how lack of NG+ and alternate costumes keeps this from being perfect, and that sucks because those two things would have taken little to no effort to incorporate. Can always hope for DLC I guess. Also I didn't even unlock all the upgrades (played through on Normal)... hopefully I can still get all of them in my first file so I can get the 100% achievement

Also I loved the final battle. Not really sure what the complaints are about, because none of it was out of character for anyone

Off to crack more Riddles!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Marty Chinn said:

There's a run button? I kid.

Yes, I do this. :lol

EzLink

Banned
dralla said:
beat it. the end of the game leaves such a bad lasting impression. the last boss is so bad, as is the 2nd to last one.

See, I don't understand this

I really liked the Ivy battle... pretty predictable but still cool. Final Joker battle though was awesome. He is insane... it isn't a stretch for him to inject himself with the venom. And it isn't a stretch for Batman to NOT do it either. Plus Joker loves making big displays of everything, so calling in the newscopters and doing it in a dynamic final setting just felt right. Plus the explosive Bat punch ruled

What specifically didn't you like about those two battles?

JRW

dralla said:
beat it. the end of the game leaves such a bad lasting impression. the last boss is so bad, as is the 2nd to last one.

What? I thought the last boss was kinda cool. Unless you're referring to the difficulty..which wasn't that hard. (I played through on Normal).

And if by previous boss you mean
Poison Ivy
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree there as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LiquidMetal14 said:
PROBLEM, I'm at the part where
you drop that big chandelier thing from the ceiling and free the 2 docs from the bomb. I need to find the documents/paperwork, where the hell is it?

I must street, the game is so, so good.

I know, it's even in the same room, but you HAVE to do the other portion. Basically, it'll turn into a "Follow the clues" bit, like Boles whiskey and Gordon's Tobacky. Then, you'll get the notes

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I hope they support this game at least a little with downloadable content. I would love so much to run through just in a fucking different costume, I don't care. Or add support for NG+. Add bad guys to the game after you beat it. Something.

Just give me DLC. ( Hopefully free, but you know I would pay ) :(

The Felo

Neo Member
OMG

The part where
Scarecrow freezes the game and you get to go through the intro again, with Batman and Joker switching sides
was incredible!!

Was I the only one who
almost turned off the 360 thinking the RRoD was coming when Scarecrow froze the game?
:lol

K2Valor said:
I hope they support this game at least a little with downloadable content. I would love so much to run through just in a fucking different costume, I don't care. Or add support for NG+. Add bad guys to the game after you beat it. Something.

Just give me DLC. ( Hopefully free, but you know I would pay ) :(

I got the game at Walmart (ps3) it came with code printed on the back of a sticker for an exclusive armored costume, but its a challenges only costume. It looks pretty slick though, but I'll probably only use the Joker. Also how did I not hear anything about the Batcave home space?! I haven't logged into Home for a lonnnnng time, had to just to see this apartment.

MMaRsu

Does anybody know if there is a sales embargo on it in The Netherlands?

I was wondering if I would be able to pick it up tomorrow...

EzLink

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
I got the game at Walmart (ps3) it came with code printed on the back of a sticker for an exclusive armored costume, but its a challenges only costume. It looks pretty slick though, but I'll probably only use the Joker. Also how did I not hear anything about the Batcave home space?! I haven't logged into Home for a lonnnnng time, had to just to see this apartment.

You actually unlock that anyway if you beat the game, no matter where you buy it from. Talk about a scam

JRW

LOL I just got the 216th riddle and
Riddler says "What!? You're almost finished?? Are you cheating? Looking them up on the Internet? TELL ME!!"

Classic.

Barso

Banned
I have just tried the PC demo and with a core i7 920 and a GTX295 it does take a hit in fps with PHYSX turned on.
With it off 60fps always.
I wonder if it it detecting the 2nd GPU of the 295?

EzLink said:
You actually unlock that anyway if you beat the game, no matter where you buy it from. Talk about a scam

Wow no shit, and a waste of money for walmart. It's actually a unique code too thats the crazy thing. Huh.. well at least I got a free sticker out of it! (that i can't think of anything to put it on.)

sinnergy

It looks like the devs played lots of good games in my book. Most stuff reminds me of other great moments / gameplay in games.

Scarecrow stuff = Eternal Darkness insanity.
Batmans vision mode switching = Metroid Prime
Backtracking = Metroid Prime
Bane Battle = Gears of War berserker
Stealth - Splinter Cell
Searching / tracking evidence = Condemned
Collecting stuff = Rare games collectAtons.
Talking over the radio = Anya Gears
Tapes = Bioshock
Upgrades = Bioshock

Am I rite??, I also like it.. A LOT!

This game is all kinds of awesome.

JRW

The Felo said:
OMG

Was I the only one who
almost turned off the 360 thinking the RRoD was coming when Scarecrow froze the game?
:lol

lol no I almost did as well. Kinda reminded me of
Eternal Darkness on Cube which had numerous moments similar to this

So what's with the riddles? I've found a few of them on the first level/30 mins in. Do I solve something with them somehow or do you just collect them?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Barso said:
I have just tried the PC demo and with a core i7 920 and a GTX295 it does take a hit in fps with PHYSX turned on.
With it off 60fps always.
I wonder if it it detecting the 2nd GPU of the 295?
Check your temps to see. Also overclock your 295 if you haven't already. I'm gonna check it out tonight and I'll tell you what kind of results I get. 950 (stock)/295 (OC) here

Penguin

Katana_Strikes said:
So what's with the riddles? I've found a few of them on the first level/30 mins in. Do I solve something with them somehow or do you just collect them?

The trophies and stuff are collectible.

When you enter a room and a riddle pops up, it means you must scan the room for the answer to the riddle, which generally refers to a character.

Einbroch said:
I'm pretty sure you just have to jump down to the very bottom (below the glass that you broke when you dropped the chandelier) and there should be a book that stands out slightly on a bookcase. In that book you'll find the formula. There should be a "(A) Check" or "(X) Check" pop-up.

I don't remember it exactly, but I think that's what I did.

thanks.

Katana_Strikes said:
Just got it today.

Starts a little different to the demo, I'm getting into it much more than I did with that. Intro was cool.

Not going to play any more until I get my Slim. Does anyone know if the save file for this is transferable?

When I swapped out my HDD, I was able to reinstall my old save file. I don't see why it would make a difference if your switching the entire console.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wholly awesomesauce Batman!!!! I just put the game disc in and scrolled to the video part oft he XMB and there are trailers to watch without having to launch the game. Developers should do more things like this. The PS3 version keeps getting better and better.

ok finally played for an hour last night on hard. man they don't kid when they say hard. first time i got my ass kicked by the first set of goons not realizing no counter sensor. you really have to master the fighting and be aware of the other guys around you. though it was so much more satisfying to finish the goons on hard.

this game is sick! rocksteady deserves to make any license super hero game going forwarding. although this game is awesome, i do have some gripe:

batman is too damn muscular. worst, he walks like a body builder and it's stiff. doesnt seem like a trained ninja, master martial artist should carry himself in that way.

batman's face looks like george clooney.. seems like he has a catcher's mitt under that mask

wish he could hop over railings

wish the walking - running animations were more fluid

wish his cape parted in the middle instead of towards his shoulders.

EzLink

Banned
Okay, what the fuck? (massive end game spoilers)

Apparently in the final boss fight you can take the venom? How the fuck do you do this?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So. This is actually awesome, and I didn't like the demo much. Just one question, are you able to go back and do riddles whenever? As in, none are missable?

EzLink said:
Okay, what the fuck? (massive end game spoilers)

Apparently in the final boss fight you can take the venom? How the fuck do you do this?
Where did you find this out?

Papercuts said:
So. This is actually awesome, and I didn't like the demo much. Just one question, are you able to go back and do riddles whenever? As in, none are missable?
Yup.

Ephemeris

It's hilarious to me that I haven't finished the game yet.

That's what you get for playing it on two consoles at once. :lol

EzLink

Banned
SolidEyeSystem said:
Where did you find this out?

A friend of mine (who hasn't played the game yet) txted me after I told him and beat it asking
if I took the venom
. Then I was thinking "hmm, well I didn't get the
mano-a-mano achievement, which the description says is for fighting a beast with hand to hand combat, so this theory seems to be holding up
. Upon a little research though, I think he just had bad information. Weird

Would have been waaaaaaaaaay badass though if it was possible

EzLink said:
A friend of mine (who hasn't played the game yet) txted me after I told him and beat it asking
if I took the venom
. Then I was thinking "hmm, well I didn't get the
mano-a-mano achievement, which the description says is for fighting a beast with hand to hand combat, so this theory seems to be holding up
. Upon a little research though, I think he just had bad information. Weird

Would have been waaaaaaaaaay badass though if it was possible
It's not true.
I've beat it several times, there's no way
to choose to take the venom.

Also, the mano-a-mano achievement is just for Titan Henchmen.

Unfuckingbelievable. The PS3 version is sold out everywhere that was selling it for $38.83 in my city. I guess i'm not surprised. Getting a deal like this in Canada is unprecedented. Every store I went to had at least 1 person already there looking for PS3 copy as well.

EzLink

Banned
New question... am I fucked on the 100% completion achievement? I beat the game on Normal and am going through all riddler challenges now, but I still have like 3 upgrades left to get and there are no guys to get XP from...

Ephemeris

EzLink said:
New question... am I fucked on the 100% completion achievement? I beat the game on Normal and am going through all riddler challenges now, but I still have like 3 upgrades left to get and there are no guys to get XP from...
You get XP from the riddler stuff, don't you? like 200 a pop?

EzLink

Banned
Ephemeris said:
You get XP from the riddler stuff, don't you? like 200 a pop?

You do, but it's such a small amount that I'm not sure if it will end up being enough

Granted I still have 110 challenges left to go, so maybe. Getting a little worried though. While I will for sure beat the game a few more times I'm only gonna do riddler stuff once. I don't want to have to redo everything on my hard file

Penguin

EzLink said:

How did you miss so many upgrades?

But yeah you should have more than enough upgrade potential, but what exactly are you missing that you need?

The only one I could think of is the Crypto range amplifier.

Ephemeris

EzLink said:
You do, but it's such a small amount that I'm not sure if it will end up being enough

Granted I still have 110 challenges left to go, so maybe. Getting a little worried though. While I will for sure beat the game a few more times I'm only gonna do riddler stuff once. I don't want to have to redo everything on my hard file

I would have sworn I read/heard somewhere that you can get points for doing the challenges, but I don't think that's the case.

Shoot. The amount of time I've put into the challenge modes at this point, I should have all the upgrades. :lol

Top Bottom