• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

The Felo said:
OMG

The part where
Scarecrow freezes the game and you get to go through the intro again, with Batman and Joker switching sides
was incredible!!

Was I the only one who
almost turned off the 360 thinking the RRoD was coming when Scarecrow froze the game?
:lol
I thought so too. That would've been Xbox #9 had RRoD on me.

Btw, is it at all possible to dodge the
Joker's bullet when you're being locked up at Arkham?

pixel monkey said:
batman.jpg
What.

What.

What.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Unfuckingbelievable. The PS3 version is sold out everywhere that was selling it for $38.83 in my city. I guess i'm not surprised. Getting a deal like this in Canada is unprecedented. Every store I went to had at least 1 person already there looking for PS3 copy as well.

What city? Here in wonderful, magnificent, breathtaking, glorious Victoria, the urban Future Shop and EB locations were sold out of the PS3 version, but the suburban FS had about 18 left, and many more 360 versions. <:eek:()

Ephemeris

bonesmccoy said:
What city? Here in wonderful, magnificent, breathtaking, glorious Victoria, the urban Future Shop and EB locations were sold out of the PS3 version, but the suburban FS had about 18 left, and many more 360 versions. <:eek:()

Interestingly enough, the TRU I went to in Brooklyn, NY had less copies of the ps3 version in stock. Not sure if that meant the ps3 sales were better, or if they simply got more 360 copies in.

Definitely interested in seeing how the game did overall when the charts hit next month, even if it's for a couple of days.

Ephemeris said:
Interestingly enough, the TRU I went to in Brooklyn, NY had less copies of the ps3 version in stock. Not sure if that meant the ps3 sales were better, or if they simply got more 360 copies in.

Definitely interested in seeing how the game did overall when the charts hit next month, even if it's for a couple of days.

My local stores usually stock 360 copies at about a 1:2 ratio, which I think is the ratio of PS3:360 owners in Canada.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I love how they still include villians that they don't feature in the game.

Mr. Freeze's cell when you lock up Harley was fucking awesome. Made me wish he was in the game. Or the Riddler, he was incorporated perfectly.

woops. lol

EzLink

Banned
Penguin said:
How did you miss so many upgrades?

But yeah you should have more than enough upgrade potential, but what exactly are you missing that you need?

The only one I could think of is the Crypto range amplifier.

Hmm? What do you mean "miss" upgrades? Whenever it said I had enough experience for one I would immediately go buy it. Maybe you played on hard though which gives you big XP boosts. I think I haven't bought the last three (don't remember what they are)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So I guess I should get the ps3 version since it has the extra of the joker download?

There are also some cool behind the scene videos if u put the game disc in and access it from the video part of the XMB

I played for 4 hours straight earlier, I am about 11 hours in and I am in the
Garden
just now. There are some awesome setpeices in this game like the one you mentioned above. I like that there are a few new enemy types but they really need to include more of them in the fights instead of just one per fight. Everything with the
Scarecrow
is amazing, I love his segments. Riddler stuff is really addicting but I decided to just wait to get all my tools before backtracking, I wish there was more reason to go back to old locations other than the Riddler challenges. It would have helped with you slowly unlocking more locations rather than just waiting till you have all the tools to go in and sweep the place, which will probably be empty.

Oh and I love what Batman does to the psycho inmates. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game is going to do well, I know it. I do think this will be a scenario where the ratio will be closer than 2/1.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I remain in awe at how incredible this game is. It is a rare that a game these days blind sides me like this, but I must say, it is a very pleasant surprise when it does. I mean, Rocksteady and Eidos? When you mix names like that with another attempt at a licensed game, well, it's hard to get excited. I never imagined it would have turned out like this. It feels like Rocksteady were truly paying attention to the best games in the last few years and implemented many of the best ideas. It feels like a weird mix of Metroid, Riddick, Bioshock, and Batman with its own unique elements slid in there. There is a ridiculous amount of variety too.

They even nailed the visuals. It's a beautiful game on par with many of the best UE3 titles, it runs smoothly, features next to no obvious loading at any point, and features fantastic production values. The game had no business being this good. :p

As it stands, this could end up being one of this years best titles! Consider me extremely impressed.

o I guess I should get the ps3 version since it has the extra of the joker download?
I actually really wanted the PS3 version this time, but TRU was sold out immediately of all PS3 copies yesterday. I wanted the gift card so I just grabbed the 360 version. The two seem virtually identical, technically, which is rare for UE3. The extra content (videos and Joker) had me wanting the PS3 version this time.

Zen

Banned
dark10x said:
I remain in awe at how incredible this game is. It is a rare that a game these days blind sides me like this, but I must say, it is a very pleasant surprise when it does. I mean, Rocksteady and Eidos? When you mix names like that with another attempt at a licensed game, well, it's hard to get excited. I never imagined it would have turned out like this. It feels like Rocksteady were truly paying attention to the best games in the last few years and implemented many of the best ideas. It feels like a weird mix of Metroid, Riddick, Bioshock, and Batman with its own unique elements slid in there. There is a ridiculous amount of variety too.

They even nailed the visuals. It's a beautiful game on par with many of the best UE3 titles, it runs smoothly, features next to no obvious loading at any point, and features fantastic production values. The game had no business being this good. :p

As it stands, this could end up being one of this years best titles! Consider me extremely impressed.

I actually really wanted the PS3 version this time, but TRU was sold out immediately of all PS3 copies yesterday. I wanted the gift card so I just grabbed the 360 version. The two seem virtually identical, technically, which is rare for UE3. The extra content (videos and Joker) had me wanting the PS3 version this time.

Aside: it feels a little Metal Gear here and there (first person vent crawling, being able to slightly move the camera during certain instances of talking heads).

witness

Game is incredible, sooooo good. I'm playing through it as slow as I possibly can. Its rare for me to play a game slow and try to make it last as long as possible. Its the only title I can think of where I do not want to see the ending.

bonesmccoy said:

Toronto

Amir0x said:
I love the riddler stuff. I am going so slow with this game, so slow. I am trying for it never to end :lol

I tend to hate most collectathons, and if you put it on paper this is what it is, but good god, they made it interesting, fun, and addicting to do the Riddler stuff. They nailed not only the game right, but this side aspect which could just been tossed in without much thought. Clearly effort was made here and it pays off.

MPW

need help

i just beat
ben

but now i gotta find some doctor's notes ... i'm lost, where is it? i checked the map, the place i need to go is blocked by locked doors from many sides

Costanza

Banned
Just had
Poison Ivy tell me I need to go to Killer Croc's lair
. Do I still have a big chunk of the game left? Really don't want this to be over.

MPW

bonesmccoy said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

I grew up in Toronto

:lol
good thing you didn't spoil that part of the game for anyone else ... oh wait! :p where you live now? miss toronto?
:D

Costanza said:
Just had
Poison Ivy tell me I need to go to Killer Croc's lair
. Do I still have a big chunk of the game left? Really don't want this to be over.

help me out Costanza :D

I'm trying my best to resist picking this up ONLY because I have an already extensive backlog and Shadow Complex has stolen my free time. But I thin k I'm going to break and pick this up this weekend.

I've been playing for most of the day, and I have to just say oh my god. Freaking a henchman out with exploding walls and strung-up comrades to play off of his fear, only to emerge from a floor grate behind him is such a blast I can't get enough. It's one of the most rewarding stealth games I've ever played and exploring every nook and cranny for Arkham's secrets reminds me of the very best of the Metroidvania genre. This is a serious contender for my GOTY.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Having a little problem with a part, a little advice would help....
I'm trying to apprehend Harley Quinn at the Penitentiary, and I'm stuck on the part where shes above me and electrifies the floor on and off while groups of goons jump down after me. The goons are no problem, but as far as I can tell there is no way to avoid being electrocuted. I can't grapple and the entire floor seems to become electric. After a few rounds of fighting goons, I always end up being shocked to death. What am I doing wrong?

Barrett2

Thinking about restarting the game to play on Hard. Anyone else done this? How does it play going from medium to hard? Game is so good, I don't see myself enjoying anything else nearly as much this Fall, might as well stretch this out as much as possible.

Costanza

Banned
Snuggler said:
Having a little problem with a part, a little advice would help....
I'm trying to apprehend Harley Quinn at the Penitentiary, and I'm stuck on the part where shes above me and electrifies the floor on and off while groups of goons jump down after me. The goons are no problem, but as far as I can tell there is no way to avoid being electrocuted. I can't grapple and the entire floor seems to become electric. After a few rounds of fighting goons, I always end up being shocked to death. What am I doing wrong?
There's 2 more sections of the room on the left and right you can climb to.

lostxii

lawblob said:
Thinking about restarting the game to play on Hard. Anyone else done this? How does it play going from medium to hard? Game is so good, I really don't see myself enjoying anything else this nearly as much this Fall, might as well stretch this out as much as possible.

I started on hard with the full version, and it was a lot more rewarding, but not difficult to the point of frustration.

Metiphis

I for the life of me cannot find the vent entrance to
get that riddler trophy in the penitentiary above the security door to the guard room where Harley releases the deadly gas.
Anyone have any ideas?

eshwaaz

dark10x said:

Rocksteady's involvement was the only thing that ever gave me any hope for this game. Weren't there rumors around the time of Game Informer's breaking cover story that the game had already been canceled?

I'm only a few hours in, and I'm trying to take it really slow so I can soak in and enjoy every moment of it. There's so much great stuff here, but I think the combat deserves special mention. So many other developers have tried to implement this kind of dynamic, free-flow fighting, but it has never felt this seamless, this smooth, or this damn satisfying before. Sure - there are plenty of canned animations that play out here, but you're also in enough control that you still feel like you're an active participant, choosing to make these moves happen. Taking on 10 guys at once should be effortless for Batman, and the game completely nails this feeling without making it feel like a glorified QTE.

Man, I wish I were playing right now...

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Thinking about restarting the game to play on Hard. Anyone else done this? How does it play going from medium to hard? Game is so good, I don't see myself enjoying anything else nearly as much this Fall, might as well stretch this out as much as possible.

Hard is a big ass leap over normal difficulty. In the very first fight in the game alone, each individual hit takes off like 1/5th of your health and the enemies are far more aggressive as well.

These are all good things.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Zeliard said:
Hard is a big ass leap over normal difficulty. In the very first fight in the game alone, each individual hit takes off like 1/5th of your health and the enemies are far more aggressive as well.

I started the game on hard, and this is the only true Batman experience.

Zeliard said:

yeah i started on hard last night and got my ass handed to me on the first round of goons. totally forgot about the "counter spider sense" not showing up. but once i got the hang of it, finishing a group of goons is sooo much satisfying. the only thing im worried about is if it will get fustrating later since i already got my ass kicked in the first round.. i suck! though i did only play 40 min of it.

crops55

So I picked up the PS3 version and I'm getting some slight jitter in the cutscenes. Anybody else? It wasn't present in the demo. Incredible game nonetheless.

Top Bottom