• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

I didn't get to play much tonight unfortunately, but I gotta say, did anyone else legitimately feel bad for
Harley Quinn when you lock her up and Joker just ditches her? I did.

crops55

TheSonicRetard said:
I noticed this in the opening cutscene.

I thought maybe my PS3 was overheating and got worried, but it hasn't done it since. I think that portion of the game might just be poorly optimized.

Yea, it was definitely more apparent in the first 20 minutes or so but significantly decreased in subsequent cutscenes. I'm going to reinstall when I get home from work tonight. If it's not a common issue maybe that will do the trick. Plus, it's a damn good reason just to see that glorious intro again :).

Picked up BAA for the 360 today and have been playing it all day. What an awesome game! I saw the trailers when it was first announced and I was thinking "Meh, could be alright, probably going to end up shitty though." Can't tell you how glad I am to be totally wrong. I am at the part where
you've beaten Killer Croc and you return to the batcave to make the antidote.
Guessing I'm almost at the end of the game. I almost don't want to go further because I don't want it to end:D After I get home from work tomorrow I'll finish up and then maybe hunt for more riddles etc. Might try some challenge modes out. Anyway, if anyone is wondering whether or not to buy the game, go get it immediately. You won't regret it.

ToyMachine228 said:
I didn't get to play much tonight unfortunately, but I gotta say, did anyone else legitimately feel bad for
Harley Quinn when you lock her up and Joker just ditches her? I did.
I did until
I went into the other cell to pick up a Riddler icon thingy, got locked in there and she was laughing at me.
Screw that bitch! :lol

Penguin

You know who I feel bad for,
the random lunatics you beat up, they just seem crazy and not really like... vengeful like the goons and what have you, and not even much of a fight

Christopher said:
I love the claw of needles they gave scarecrow so that he's like Freddy Kruger...his parts are def my favorite.

ya these parts are awesome and the build up towards them...these alone make this the best licenced superhero game ever...

Sean

Banned
pixel monkey said:
A friendly word of advice. There's a entire series of games out there with Metroid in the title...you might want to just steer clear.

Those types of games are more fun to backtrack in because you get new abilities that allow you to reach new areas that were previously inaccessible. That's not really the case with Arkham Aslyum for the most part. I'm not saying it was terribly annoying or anything, just could have been handled a little better imo.

Ephemeris

nolookjones said:
ya these parts are awesome and the build up towards them...these alone make this the best licenced superhero game ever...
Indeed.
batman.gif

Sanjuro

Sean said:
Those types of games are more fun to backtrack in because you get new abilities that allow you to reach new areas that were previously inaccessible. That's not really the case with Arkham Aslyum for the most part. I'm not saying it was terribly annoying or anything, just could have been handled a little better imo.
I dunno, for the most part when I am backtracking I have obtained a new ability.

Sean said:
Those types of games are more fun to backtrack in because you get new abilities that allow you to reach new areas that were previously inaccessible. That's not really the case with Arkham Aslyum for the most part.

Did we play the same game? Because I clearly remember attaining new abilities and gaining access to areas that were previously inaccessible...and this was throughout the experience.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Wondering how close I am to the end:

I'm about to go into Killer-Croc's lair to get the ingredients for the antidote. Of course I'm nearing the end, but how close am I?

TheSonicRetard said:
At the same time, some of the stuff he says has me cracking up. My favorite one so far, and I'm paraphrasing, is "The batman looks like an idiot, sounds like an idiot, and walks like an idiot. But don't be fooled - he really is an idiot."

The delivery of that line is so spot on :lol :lol

Yeah. :lol And the one where he says something to the effect of, "Watching you guys, I feel like I'm on a night out, watching my favorite movie. What was the name of that movie again? Oh, yes: Attack of the Bumbling Idiots Who Can't Find an Even Bigger Idiot who Runs Around Dressed as a BAT! Find him, NOW!" Hilarious the first couple of times. ;P

acidviper

Banned
macfoshizzle said:
next batman game with some coop action would be sick! maybe with robin, nightwing, or even batgirl(before her injury). put in some batmobile tumbler style and you'll got a winner!
No no no to maximize profit you need transformers, samus, and the master chief.

K2Valor said:
Wondering how close I am to the end:

I'm about to go into Killer-Croc's lair to get the ingredients for the antidote. Of course I'm nearing the end, but how close am I?
An hour or two left. Savor it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So far second only to Demon's Souls as far as best games that I've played so far this year. If you thought doing a Batman game was hard before, anything that follows this has not only the curse but also really high expectations that it CAN be done. I'm in the medical center now.

truly101 said:
If you thought doing a Batman game was hard before, anything that follows this has not only the curse but also really high expectations that it CAN be done.

/agree

This game is the new standard for super hero and licensed video games... which means the future disappointments in this game type will be that much greater.

Red

Do you ever get an ability to launch the exploding gel? I've been seeing walls with no ledges in front throughout the whole game, can't figure out how to blow them up. Asking because I'm about to fight
Poison Ivy
and it seems like if that power up exists, I should have it by now.

Sanjuro

Seriously fuck this game. It's too hard. I cant beat boss fight. What is the point of a superhero game when you have no superpowers!$?

Robobandit said:
/agree

This game is the new standard for super hero and licensed video games... which means the future disappointments in this game type will be that much greater.

Yes, this is easily the best licensed game I've ever played, and by far the best super hero game I've ever played.

Christopher

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Seriously fuck this game. It's too hard. I cant beat boss fight. What is the point of a superhero game when you have no superpowers!$?

stop sucking - what can't you beat??

Following up on your other comment I'm so glad this game has no co-op I feel that when they shoe horn it in their they take away from the single player experience...and this one sure has a great one.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
SanjuroTsubaki said:
wat

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Might I recommend Superman 64? You gain many powers, including heat vision, frost breath, and the ability to soar through hoops.

crops55

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Are you familiar with the Batman series at all?

Ephemeris

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Yeah. :lol And the one where he says something to the effect of, "Watching you guys, I feel like I'm on a night out, watching my favorite movie. What was the name of that movie again? Oh, yes: Attack of the Bumbling Idiots Who Can't Find an Even Bigger Idiot who Runs Around Dressed as a BAT! Find him, NOW!" Hilarious the first couple of times. ;P

One of my faves the one where he mentions his guys dropping like the plague..

".. guess the Bat is back."

At that point, I was using a silent takedown on a sniper too. :D

Edit:

And I guess you guys couldn't tell SanjuroTsubaki was kidding :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How much longer do I have till the end?
Poision Ivy just got let out

I hope I still have a lot, this is great and I'm getting really sucked into it. Hard is also awesome, nothing here feels cheap and while the
Bane
fight was pretty challenging, it was really satisfying to beat with just a sliver of health left.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dallow_bg said:
Is stuff in the environment supposed to randomly flash blue?
Seriously is it?

On PS3, and random objects, sometimes the whole sky or ground will just flash blue for a split second.

I'm just leaving the game standing still now and it's happening ever other second.

I pretty much played like this last night and thought it was "part of the atmosphere" but man...

Christopher

I thought they just got Batman, Harley, and Joker from the tv series to do the voices again, but they pretty much got a lot of the old cast back.

Penguin def this is an amazing game becuase of TAS ties :D

Ephemeris said:
One of my faves the one where he mentions his guys dropping like the plague..

".. guess the Bat is back."

At that point, I was using a silent takedown on a sniper too. :D

I love how he makes comments like that as you take down his henchmen. "You guys might want to do a headcount..." :D Gives the impression that he's enjoying watching Batman work, despite being his arch-nemesis and all. I love it.

And I guess you guys couldn't tell SanjuroTsubaki was kidding

I could. He always says stuff like that. :lol

dallow_bg said:
Seriously is it?

On PS3, and random objects, sometimes the whole sky or ground will just flash blue for a split second.

I'm just leaving the game standing still now and it's happening ever other second.

I pretty much played like this last night and thought it was "part of the atmosphere" but man...
No.

I was going to say that maybe it was the L2 button doing the quick scan, but that would be a quick flash across the entire screen, not just some objects. Maybe you should try reinstalling?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
SolidEyeSystem said:
No.

I was going to say that maybe it was the L2 button doing the quick scan, but that would be a quick flash across the entire screen, not just some objects. Maybe you should try reinstalling?
Thanks, yeah, it's weird. I'm gonna go ahead and try this now.
I took a quick video to document it though.

JRW

dallow_bg said:
Seriously is it?

Erm.... I never saw this on 360 version (finished it last night).

Ephemeris

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I love how he makes comments like that as you take down his henchmen. "You guys might want to do a headcount..." :D Gives the impression that he's enjoying watching Batman work, despite being his arch-nemesis and all. I love it.

Yup yup!:D

MiniDitka

Help!
I just beat Scarecrow for the second time, knocked down the bell and I'm supposed to rescue Dr. Young in the Wardens office but I haven't a clue were to go

The more I play this game the better and better it gets.
People need to buy this game NOW...
With the deals out there, there is no reason to be an asshat and wait to buy it used.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MiniDitka said:
Help!
I just beat Scarecrow for the second time, knocked down the bell and I'm supposed to rescue Dr. Young in the Wardens office but I haven't a clue were to go

The bell fell right by the door.

Man I wish I had paced myself better. All I got left to do is max out the challenges and beat the game on hard. I suck at the challenges so that could take time.

Downhome

MiniDitka said:
Help!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who had a problem with that part. I have no clue why so many of us are having such a problem with it, since it's blatantly obvious what you're supposed to do and go, especially if you just look around.

You're missing a door you're supposed to go into, I think it's back in the main room, that's it.

pixel monkey said:
Did we play the same game? Because I clearly remember attaining new abilities and gaining access to areas that were previously inaccessible...and this was throughout the experience.
Backtracking with new abilities doesn't pay off like it would in a Metroid game, though. In Metroid you might find missile expansions, health tanks or new items. Various rewards, all making me more powerful, which is important because the games tend be slightly challenging. You'll also often have to solve a puzzle to access the items. There's a great sense of satisfaction when I finally figure out just how to access that one item that's been taunting me since the beginning of the game.

Batman lacks that feeling of satisfaction. Exploration doesn't yield worthwhile rewards. So far secret areas have given me nothing but riddles or statues, both of which give me XP, and the XP is kinda not worth the effort. On normal* the game is incredibly easy and I've rarely had to use any of my upgraded skills. I am pretty sure I could have made it as far as I have without upgrading and it wouldn't have been any more difficult. The purchasable Upgrades end up being toys rather than essential tools.

Also there really hasn't been anything that I'd consider a puzzle in the typical action-adventure game sense. Just walk around in detective mode and use the appropriate item on the appropriate wall. You could say Metroid does this, too, but it's not quite as shallow. Also most of the riddles don't require thinking but a knowledge of Bat-lore.

So backtracking is a bit of a bore. The lack of enemies doesn't help either. Lots of hoofing it in between action pieces. It feels kinda barren to me. This wasn't a problem early on but I think now that I've passed the halfway point it's definitely getting tiresome.

It's an amazingly polished game, and I understand all the praise it's receiving. I think it FEELS great, and they got so much right. All the pieces making up the game are very well done. But they're tied together in such a safe, focus-group friendly way that it makes it feel more like an amusement park ride than a video game. I mean, fuck, I'm nearing the end and they're STILL giving me tutorial tips and telling me how to beat bosses the second I run into them. Is there a way to turn this off?

*I initially went with hard but the tutorial fight kicked my ass so I re-started on normal. Normally I prefer a more challenging game but I'm not playing this for the combat. I figured it would be the same game exploration/puzzle-wise and I wasn't sure if it would affect the AI for the stealth sections. Unfortunately there really haven't been many puzzles or stealth sections, and the exploration ain't all that great...

Ephemeris

Rummy Bunnz said:
Backtracking with new abilities doesn't pay off like it would in a Metroid game, though. In Metroid you might find missile expansions, health tanks or new items. Various rewards, all making me more powerful, which is important because the games tend to have be slightly challenging. You'll also often have to solve a puzzle to access the items. There's a great sense of satisfaction when I finally figure out just how to access that one item that's been taunting me since the beginning of the game.

Batman lacks that feeling of satisfaction. Exploration doesn't yield worthwhile rewards. So far secret areas have given me nothing but riddles or statues, both of which give me XP, and the XP is kinda not worth the effort.

I for one, enjoy outclassing The Riddler.

Superior Intellect, my Bat-Ass.

Though I wish they were more guys to beat up when I back-track...

Top Bottom