• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

The game entered a whole new level of awesome since the last time I played. It is constantly adding changes to the usual situations which makes you play them very differently. I love all the
scarecrow moments and really enjoyed Killer Croc

The variety in gameplay in this game is astounding to me. Yeah it may borrow from many games but it works when it all comes together. There is MGS like stealth segements, great beat em up action, lots of platforming, and Metroid style exploration.

MiamiWesker said:
The game entered a whole new level of awesome since the last time I played. It is constantly adding changes to the usual situations which makes you play them very differently. I love all the
scarecrow moments and really enjoyed Killer Croc

The variety in gameplay in this game is astounding to me. Yeah it may borrow from many games but it works when it all comes together. There is MGS like stealth segements, great beat em up action, lots of platforming, and Metroid style exploration.

I get a zelda vibe from this game too. There's an overworld and each building is its own dungeon with a gadget that it sorta features.

Brashnir

Gully State said:
I get a zelda vibe from this game too. There's an overworld and each building is its own dungeon with a gadget that it sorta features.

A little bit of Zelda, but mostly it feels like a 3D Metroidvania.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I don't think this game feels like any other game. It combines a multitude of games to form an experience that is unprecedented.

Kard8p3

I still haven't played this yet (it'll probably be next week when I get it) but I have no doubt in my mind, based on what you guys are saying, that this game will be absolutely amazing. People are saying this game is great period but I imagine being a big batman fan makes it that much better correct? I'm a huge fan of the comics and the animated series and I'm a fan of great games so this must be the game for me. Also without spoiling anything how good are the scarecrow sequences? From the moment I saw his design for this game I just felt like he would be an awesome part of it.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Kard8p3 said:
I still haven't played this yet (it'll probably be next week when I get it) but I have no doubt in my mind, based on what you guys are saying, that this game will be absolutely amazing. People are saying this game is great period but I imagine being a big batman fan makes it that much better correct? I'm a huge fan of the comics and the animated series and I'm a fan of great games so this must be the game for me. Also without spoiling anything how good are the scarecrow sequences? From the moment I saw his design for this game I just felt like he would be an awesome part of it.
They are awesome. They only get better and better. You are in for quite a treat.

AniHawk

Scarecrow's awesome. Real Eternal Darkness type shit (except you sort of don't expect it right away). His boss battle is pretty cool too.

Just finished
Bane..It was AWESOME seeing him crack my back for some reason.
:lol

Scarecrow was amazing, sooo well done.Gave me the creeps and really had me fooled Gordon was dead.

Jtrizzy

Question about the Botanical Gardens:
Do I have to blow up all of the joker booby trapped things with my new cryptographic modulator?

The extreme challenge fighting rooms are fun!

That challenge room based on the area in the demo, does anyone pick up enemies and throw them into those electric barries or off the rail? :D

Tiktaalik

Just really started playing just a few hours ago and it really drew me in. I think this game sets a new bar for the ultra tight, focused experience games. Previously I thought that maybe Gears of War was the best in this sub genre, but this game so far seems to be really just nailing everything due to the extreme ultra polish it has.

I think it sets a new standard for interface design as well. Everything is so pretty and easy to use.

Sanjuro

Just finished the game. I can't believe people are complaining about the bosses. I loved the boss fights and rather glad it didn't consist of taking on every villain not attached to the story for the sake of it.

...although I wish I could ring the Riddler's neck out somewhere on the island.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How the hell are people getting score around 50K in the combat challenges? I didn't even get hit during one and I'm not even at 20K. :lol

Also, it was really jarring at first to see the counter symbol. I guess being on hard made me forget they did that in the first place.

Einbroch

Banned
Last boss spoilers:

The last boss can suck a nut. Seriously, it's a huge letdown and extremely frustrating.

Two hours later I can't beat it. Cheap shots are destroying me. Love how I can get through all the waves only to have a single punch kill me when there's only two guys left.

Tiktaalik

Does anyone have any screenshots of the purple "detective mode" effect? I want to show my friends but I've been randomly looking around at game sites like 1up.com etc for screens that show it and I can't find any.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Einbroch said:
Last boss spoilers:

The last boss can suck a nut. Seriously, it's a huge letdown and extremely frustrating.

Two hours later I can't beat it. Cheap shots are destroying me. Love how I can get through all the waves only to have a single punch kill me when there's only two guys left.

just have to jump alot and
camp the gun box and make sure they don't get a chance at opening it

Chrange

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Does anyone have any screenshots of the purple "detective mode" effect? I want to show my friends but I've been randomly looking around at game sites like 1up.com etc for screens that show it and I can't find any.

You mean the tobacco sensing mode, or just detective mode in general?

Tiktaalik

Chrange said:
You mean the tobacco sensing mode, or just detective mode in general?

Just sort of in general. Yeah I noticed that it subtly changes depending on the situation. I have an interface designer friend that I want to show it to.

Chrange

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Just sort of in general. Yeah I noticed that it subtly changes depending on the situation. I have an interface designer friend that I want to show it to.

Yeah, give me a second.

Edit - here you go:

2ajbdkx.jpg

2r2pu7m.jpg

33to0vs.jpg

33u2y4n.jpg

Just finished it....and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Joker actually made me laugh quite a few times. The
www.im a stupid man dressed like a bat.com/idiot
bit almost had me in tears.

Edit: Aw shit (end game spoiler)...
Croc just grabbed some Titan :^(

MMaRsu

Yeahhh so I don't have any money right now, and won't have for another month or so. I just started my new job but hey.. no money.

Still NEED to get this game after these insane impressions and playing the demo over 30 times or something.. I've been hyped for this game since the beginning!

So today I'm hoping to trade in Red Faction, Riddick, Prototype and Infinite Undiscovery. I hope that will be enough :p. I'm not playing those games anymore anyway.

Nozdeuce said:
I like the fact that
Joker is still alive
Yep, great stuff all around. Im still surprised at just how nice this game turned out to be. I was very well polished, and lots of little things made sense...such as him taking the grates off in different ways, depending on if he needed stealth or not. I also like how the goons would have "sloppy" partner covering tactic, seeing as they aren't military trained or anything.

lostxii said:
Huh, scarecrow grabbed the box at the end in my game.
The hell?
After the credits, they showed a case with Titan written on it floating in the water, then Croc's arm came and took it down with him.

*scratches head*

Zzoram

Finding Dr. Young's notes was a pain. I think I did things a bit out of order so it wasn't a logical flow.

I stopped just after finding them and have 21% completion, having found a fair number of Riddler things. This game is pretty sweet and rather lengthy for this type of game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MMaRsu said:
Yeahhh so I don't have any money right now, and won't have for another month or so. I just started my new job but hey.. no money.

Still NEED to get this game after these insane impressions and playing the demo over 30 times or something.. I've been hyped for this game since the beginning!

So today I'm hoping to trade in Red Faction, Riddick, Prototype and Infinite Undiscovery. I hope that will be enough :p. I'm not playing those games anymore anyway.

ya bro! lets wait together!

WHOO

ABSTINENCE! HIGH FIVE! :D

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
-COOLIO- said:
ya bro! lets wait together!

WHOO

ABSTINENCE! HIGH FIVE! :D
You do know you can still trade 2 $8+ games at EB for free Batman right? Today's the last day (Canada only)

MMaRsu

Nozdeuce said:
You do know you can still trade 2 $8+ games at EB for free Batman right? Today's the last day (Canada only)

Fucking good deals in Canada/America. You guys have all the luck.

This game costs 60 euro's and deals? Shit these idiots in The Netherlands here have never heard of deals.

But Coolio like I said I'll probably be trading in those 4 games for Batman :p. If that's not enough then fuck them.

Nozdeuce

MMaRsu said:
Fucking good deals in Canada/America. You guys have all the luck.

This game costs 60 euro's and deals? Shit these idiots in The Netherlands here have never heard of deals.
Ouch, that sucks. Canada did pretty well as far as Batman goes, was $40CAD here at Walmart which then spread just about everywhere else, EB did the trade in thing instead.

Zzoram

Nozdeuce said:
Ouch, that sucks. Canada did pretty well as far as Batman goes, was $40CAD here at Walmart which then spread just about everywhere else, EB did the trade in thing instead.

Not instead, EB was also selling for $39.

Nose Master

I felt weird saying this is better than Bioshock, but going back... Bioshock was pretty overrated, too :lol. After the initial playthrough. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. First game that I've played for 4+ hours without getting bored for a loooong time.

Nose Master said:
I felt weird saying this is better than Bioshock, but going back... Bioshock was pretty overrated, too :lol. After the initial playthrough. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. First game that I've played for 4+ hours without getting bored for a loooong time.

It is better. This game is better than quite a few high profile titles, but of course, it will be sin to say so.

Amir0x

Banned
Jeff Stephen said:
Anyone wanna run down what exactly counts as a perfect combo? I had a combo of 40+ going and wasn't awarded freeflow perfection.

Isn't freeflow perfection simply knocking out all the enemies without ever having to break your combo for the round?

Nozdeuce

Amir0x said:
Isn't freeflow perfection simply knocking out all the enemies without ever having to break your combo for the round?
Isn't it you have to do one of everything during the 1 combo? 1 strike, 1 stun, 1 floor finisher, 1 takedown, 1 throw, 1 counter, 1 dodge, 1 batclaw, 1 batarang?

Amir0x

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Isn't it you have to do one of everything during the 1 combo? 1 strike, 1 stun, 1 floor finisher, 1 takedown, 1 throw, 1 counter, 1 dodge, 1 batclaw, 1 batarang?

oh right that may be it. I am confused :lol

Nozdeuce

Amir0x said:
oh right that may be it. I am confused :lol
Well there's also Flawless Freeflow Fighter which you get for completing a challenge map without taking any damage. The alliteration threw me off too :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nozdeuce said:

It's both. Freeflow perfection is a bonus in the challenge mode for not breaking the combo at all.

Finding the answers to Riddler's questions is so damn fun. I didnt think I would care enough after I finished the game...but I jumped right back in.

Nozdeuce

Papercuts said:
It's both. Freeflow perfection is a bonus in the challenge mode for not breaking the combo at all.
Sweet, well thats needlessly confusing :lol

abstract alien said:
Finding the answers to Riddler's questions is so damn fun. I didnt think I would care enough after I finished the game...but I jumped right back in.
I just beat it earlier tonight and that's what I'm doing too.

JRW

Einbroch said:
Last boss spoilers:

Are you pulling Joker off the ledge with batclaw in between enemy waves or are enemies still running around? I always did it in between waves and found it fairly easy to beat.(played on Normal difficulty) I had a lot more trouble beating Poison Ivy

Holy fucking shit, let me tell you about my experience with "Batman: Arkham Asylum."

I picked it up last night, drove home like a madman and immediately started playing the game. After about an hours with it, I can say that it has surpassed my expectations. GOTFY for me.

Then about an hour in, something curious happened. My wife was sitting next to me on the couch, half reading a book and half watching me play the game. Suddenly, she says "what was that? Did you see that?"

Naturally, I think she's talking about the game so I ask her if I missed a Riddler clue. The game is pretty immersive after all I suppose. Then she says it again: "No, I saw something. LOOK!" At this point, I'm getting pissed and telling her that I don't see any hidden Riddler clues and that the game is just getting to her. It's a dark moody intense game after all. Then she says, "NO, I SAW SOMETHING MOVE IN THE APARTMENT!"

At this point, I'm officially freaking out. I think, maybe the game has gotten to me too. I timidly venture into the other room where she claims she saw something, and lo and behold, I fucking shit you not, there's a live bat flapping around in the bedroom. He's about a foot wide in wingspan, he's brown, and he's flying around in circles around in my fucking bedroom.

Every now and then the bat gets tired of flapping and perches himself on the ledge of the door frame and kind of hops around squeaking a lot. (as if we're the problem here, not him). The little bastard is kind of cute, and my wife strictly forbids me from killing him. So I open a window and try to shoo him out with a broom. No dice. So I then spent the next 30 minutes trying to snare him with a towel. Finally after much physical exertion and cursing, I grab him in the towel and release the squeaking menace out the window into the outside night.

Now let me tell you this much: no windows were open in the apartment last night. We don't have chimneys. I have absolutely no idea how this motherfucking bat got inside the apartment.

I guess the moral of the story is... Some people may brag about how their version of "Batman: Arkham Asylum" comes with a Joker mode. Some may brag about minor graphical differences. BUT MY VERSION OF "ARKHAM ASYLUM" COMES WITH A FUCKING LIVE BAT. Trump that, fuckers.

Volcynika

Made a good bit of progress last night, went from
post-battle with Bane to where Poison Ivy got released by Harley.
Also, was it just me, or did anyone else
(after seeing Killer Croc behind that door in the catacombs) be a little wary with every new door, wondering if he was gonna pop out and attack :lol

robot

abstract alien said:

Is it possible to miss any of his challenges for good, or can you go back to each area and solve them? I noticed I wasn't able to return to the beginning of the game (I'm still pretty early, in the medical area).

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing more of the game. Just gotta the doctor's formula notes. I must say the game has really picked up. I'm actually really liking it now. Not to mention the graphics seem much better to me than we the game first began. Looking forward to continuing it tonight.

Top Bottom