• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Jeff Stephen said:
Anyone wanna run down what exactly counts as a perfect combo? I had a combo of 40+ going and wasn't awarded freeflow perfection.
Regular Melee + Counter + Throw + Takedown + Ground Takedown + Jump over an enemy + Batarang + Cape + Batclaw in one combo = Perfect combo

hertog

Just played the demo and I'm not feeling it. The camera is way too close on batman and I always want the detective mode on which makes the game look very bad.
Does it get better fast after the end of the demo?

Volcynika

Revolutionary said:
Regular Melee + Counter + Throw + Takedown + Ground Takedown + Jump over an enemy + Batarang + Cape + Batclaw in one combo = Perfect combo

Hm, I'll have to practice how to do something like that!

Volcynika said:
Hm, I'll have to practice how to do something like that!
Just remember that when in doubt of whether a hit will land or not, or what move to do next, do a dodge roll. Either over an enemy or into an open area where you can batarang or batclaw an enemy - it works wonders in extending your combos.

naib

Please at least rent this game people!! It must be experienced.

I'm not a huge Batman/DC fan.
(not before playing this game..)

It's so frustrating trying to convince my DC/Batman nerd friends/coworkers to buy it! I already know these dudes are frugal fsckers, but c'mon!!?
At least two of them bought Ghostbusters at $60. As frugal as they are.. WTF

Volcynika

Revolutionary said:
Just remember that when in doubt of whether a hit will land or not, or what move to do next, do a dodge roll. Either over an enemy or into an open area where you can batarang or batclaw an enemy - it works wonders in extending your combos.

So you can change between the batarang/batclaw during combos and not lose your flow or whatever?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
So you can change between the batarang/batclaw during combos and not lose your flow or whatever?

Double tap LT/L2 for quick batarangs, RT/R2 for quick batclaw. I'd assume actually aiming it would ruin the combo though.

Mrbob

Gotta double tap R2 for the quick bat claw on ps3.

This game truly is brilliant. I'm about 20 percent done right now...played it for almost 5 hours tonight. o_O

The only thing I find somewhat dumb in the game is the upgrade system. Not that I think its bad but, why am I purchasing armor upgrades for batman? How is he acquiring these while being isolated on Arkham Island? Not a big deal though.

The atmosphere in this game is second to none. I can hardly recognize this as a UE3.0 title. The characters in this game are nailed perfectly. Rocksteady knocked this one out of the park. Did they do anything else before Batman?

naib

dallow_bg said:
And now the game has hard locked on me, I'm having terrible luck.
Are you on PS3 or 360?

I've had 2 hard freezes in about 6-8 hours of gameplay on the PS3. Still hear the music, but can't even access the XMB. KZ2 is unplayable for me for that reason.
I'm pretty sure it's a disc read problem. I have no issues with PSN games and earlier PS3 games. 60gig. Original hard drive.

edit:
ugh

sinnergy

SixStringPsycho said:
is the part of scarecrow supposed to be in slow motion? Cause when it finished and went to the part of harley the game was still in slow motion.
PS3 version? Didn't encounter this in the X360 version..

Dude Abides

Banned
Damn this shit is polished. The animations for everything are really smooth. I love how the camera moves when you use the grappling hook.

bill0527

Finally played it for a couple of hours tonight. I think I'm around 10% through the game and I've tried the first challenge room. Really enjoying it so far, but I'm not doing something right on the combat. I don't think I've fully grasped the freeflow combat system. The highest I've been able to get is a 8X combo and my score in the first challenge room sucks. I think I've done that room about a half-dozen times now and I can't even break 5000. I'm trying everything I can think of - counters, cape spins, strikes, jumping behind people, etc. but I just can't seem to do any better.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Brashnir said:
:(

try some other games. It might just be this one, but I suspect you're gonna have to call Sony Support.
Thank. I haven't really had any other problems, but I'm going to keep an eye out.

naib said:
Are you on PS3 or 360?

I've had 2 hard freezes in about 6-8 hours of gameplay on the PS3. Still hear the music, but can't even access the XMB. KZ2 is unplayable for me for that reason.
I'm pretty sure it's a disc read problem. I have no issues with PSN games and earlier PS3 games. 60gig. Original hard drive.
Original 20GB version. Upgraded HDD.
KZ2 was fine for me. Multiple hours in that one. Don't think that one ever locked.

sinnergy said:
PS3 version? Didn't encounter this in the X360 version..
yeah. The first time I get the gas effect everything was in slow motion when I got to scarecrow eerything was fine. Then batman moved in slow motion. Voices sounded good but the movement of everything was slooooooow.

naib

dallow_bg said:
Thank. I haven't really had any other problems, but I'm going to keep an eye out.

Original 20GB version. Upgraded HDD.
KZ2 was fine for me. Multiple hours in that one. Don't think that one ever locked.
I thought I didn't have enough cache room and deleted a bunch of games. It seems better, but I haven't tried KZ2 since. Isn't there some kind of service mode on the PS3 that has a disk utility?

I hope it's not my vidcard. I had the weird RE4 artifacting on my Wii.

Shit, might as well go back to PC gaming...

disclaimer: my PS3 is fine for the most part. 360 is out to shop.

Mrbob said:
The only thing I find somewhat dumb in the game is the upgrade system. Not that I think its bad but, why am I purchasing armor upgrades for batman? How is he acquiring these while being isolated on Arkham Island? Not a big deal though.
Oh I was so glad they didn't come up with some silly explanation for the upgrades. I think the
Batcave and getting gadgets from the Batmobile trunk
were as far as they needed to go with that sort of thing. Both good, clever solutions that felt totally natural. It's so rare to see that in a video game!

The atmosphere in this game is second to none. I can hardly recognize this as a UE3.0 title.
It really does redeem UE3 in my eyes. I haven't noticed any of the usual issues with UE3 games.

Did they do anything else before Batman?
Urban Chaos, a PS2/Xbox FPS that was supposedly pretty good.

It felt like when youre downloading a bunch of stuff on your PC and everything is lagging. Also dunno if this helps but dembones challenge finished downloading just right when I finished the scarecrow part.
This was the first time I encountered scarecrow

naib

SixStringPsycho said:
It felt like when youre downloading a bunch of stuff on your PC and everything is lagging. Also dunno if this helps but dembones challenge finished downloading just right when I finished the scarecrow part.
This was the first time I encountered scarecrow
How much disc space do you have on the hard drive?

Settings > System Info > Free Space:
???/???

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Barso said:
I have just tried the PC demo and with a core i7 920 and a GTX295 it does take a hit in fps with PHYSX turned on.
With it off 60fps always.
I wonder if it it detecting the 2nd GPU of the 295?
Alright so I ran it on 1680 x 1050 max settings, vsync, 8x aa, and physx on normal. Was pulling 45-60 consistently. Definitely used both GPUs.

naib said:
How much disc space do you have on the hard drive?

Settings > System Info > Free Space:
???/???
9Gb out of 40gb
I cleaned up some save files and installed games from my hdd. Anyways I quit the game and started from the last checkpoint which was after the scarecrow part and everything went back to normal. Hope its not a sign of a faulty ps3 coming up cause Ive had enough with my 360

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Without a doubt, this is as good as Metroid Prime. This is also as good as Bioshock. This is just absolute perfection in videogame form.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
TheCardPlayer said:
Without a doubt, this is as good as Metroid Prime. This is also as good as Bioshock. This is just absolute perfection in videogame form.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. THAT'S IT DAMMIT.

I DIDNT MAKE IT IN TIME FOR THE $38 DEAL. STOP THE HYPE. I HATE YOU ALL,

TheCardPlayer said:

I won't agree with either of those claims, but I don't think you're crazy for thinking so either.

THAT is how good this game is. :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
-COOLIO- said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. THAT'S IT DAMMIT.

I DIDNT MAKE IT IN TIME FOR THE $38 DEAL. STOP THE HYPE. I HATE YOU ALL,

There is no hyperbole here. I mean every word. Arkham Asylum is a perfect game. The pacing is absolute magic. The game goes from one stunning setpiece to another. It's like a long succession of some of the greatest gaming moments, that anyone can undertake. The gameworld, is possibly the best designed and engrossing I've seen in a videogame. Everything, from the stellar combat, the perfect voice acting (Oscar caliber, for real this time) to the staggering amount of polish and content, just reeks of gaming nirvana...you cannot miss this game.

I say that if you don't play Arkham Asylum, you missed this gen. Simple as that.

naib

SixStringPsycho said:
9Gb out of 40gb
I cleaned up some save files and installed games from my hdd. Anyways I quit the game and started from the last checkpoint which was after the scarecrow part and everything went back to normal. Hope its not a sign of a faulty ps3 coming up cause Ive had enough with my 360
I'm grabbin' at straws. Can't figure out the common thread.
All but 2-3 games run fine on my PS3. I'm hoping the 2 B:AA freezes were a fluke. The game is too awesome for that shite.

Costanza

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
There is no hyperbole here. I mean every word. Arkham Asylum is a perfect game. The pacing is absolute magic. The game goes from one stunning setpiece to another. It's like a long succession of some of the greatest gaming moments, that anyone can undertake. The gameworld, is possibly the best designed and engrossing I've seen in a videogame. Everything, from the stellar combat, the perfect voice acting (Oscar caliber, for real this time) to the staggering amount of polish and content, just reeks of gaming nirvana...you cannot miss this game.

I say that if you don't play Arkham Asylum, you missed this gen. Simple as that.
Totally agree. And I can't believe we're saying this about a Batman game published by Eidos.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've heard someone describe the combat in this one as "essentially a straight rip-off of the Yakuza games, which is a good thing." Is this statement at all accurate?

Finally played this after being swamped with work, and school the last few days.

All I can say it's awesome. To fans of the comics, so far (about 5 hours in) the story, and characters are nailed. Combat is new perfect. I can't wait to play more when I have some more time. :lol

lostxii

Just beat the game, absolutely incredible. The polish and the attention to detail are especially impressive. the visuals, voice acting and atmosphere are all top notch and the amount of little details really make the game stand out. For example, how Batman state changes visually over the course of the game with his cape tearing, bruises on his face, and how his idle animation turns to coughing later in the game. Even how the sequencer gives off a green illumination is nice. Plus, there's a lot of extra content as well. Only part I thought was a bit less steller than the rest of the game was the very end.
Also, all parts involving Scarecrow were amazing. Especially the last one.

XiaNaphryz said:
I've heard someone describe the combat in this one as "essentially a straight rip-off of the Yakuza games, which is a good thing." Is this statement at all accurate?
Now that you mention it, it is very similar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The game is well polished, but I had a really weird glitch happen a few times. If you do a glide kick and the guard moves somewhere, you can get stuck. I was literally in the pose about to kick him for a good 30 seconds until I landed, the guard just stood there as if his AI crapped out and I beat him up. It happened again later, so I am now more cautious about using that. :p

Vyer

Went ahead and picked up the 360 version, played for a while tonight. So Awesome. So many nice little touches, love how well the game captures the 'feel' of Batman. Graphics are solid, voice acting superb...just a top notch game overall (so far). The first
Scarecrow section
was just awesome.

The only negative I have so far is the camera is a little awkward to me. When you are just walking, it feels too crowded with Batman off to the side. It's really noticeable when you run how everything just 'opens up'. It makes it feel like it has a little less freedom for some reason.

Other than that, though, this has been a hell of a game so far.

iumogg

Neo Member
hertog said:
Just played the demo and I'm not feeling it. The camera is way too close on batman and I always want the detective mode on which makes the game look very bad.
Does it get better fast after the end of the demo?

The actual game doesn't follow the same sequence as the demo. The demo is not representative of the entire game. The demo is like the intro to the intro of the intro.

I do agree about detective mode. That is probably my only real complaint about the game. I had to make a conscious effort to click out of detective mode to enjoy the incredible world that has been created. In the big scheme of things that is really minor and should not be a reason to avoid playing this gem.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Holy shit at some of the challenge rooms. Sewer Bat (Extreme) has so much fucking guys on wave 4. I have never had so much fun with a combat system, they really nailed it. It is incredibly easy, but incredibly hard to master at the same time. It really is like playing a rhythm game, from what I've noticed. You have to hit the buttons at the right time, you have to know when to counter, you have to know when to stun. Everything has to be done flawlessly for spectacular ownage. And god damn does it look spectacular.

I fucking love this game.

Top Bottom