• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Hah I played the demo on the PS3 and I couldn't believe how buff they made Batman look, it was overdone. Same with Gordon, the guy looks like he's in his 60's but is as steroid-pumped as Batman. Guess that's what the Unreal Engine is all about, men on steroids.

Iron Toaster said:
Hah I played the demo on the PS3 and I couldn't believe how buff they made Batman look, it was overdone. Same with Gordon, the guy looks like he's in his 60's but is as steroid-pumped as Batman. Guess that's what the Unreal Engine is all about, men on steroids.

Quite.

@Dave1988:

So what's your method other than generally behaving like some sort of pimp ninja from outer space?

For example, the fight in the hallway I struggle to get over x6 combo and x4 variation. Is there more to be eeked out there?

Edit: the camera trick on glide kicks is bad-ass!

Dave1988

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Quite.

@Dave1988:

So what's your method other than generally behaving like some sort of pimp ninja from outer space?

For example, the fight in the hallway I struggle to get over x6 combo and x4 variation. Is there more to be eeked out there?

Edit: the camera trick on glide kicks is bad-ass!

The key is to incorporate dodges and batarangs into your combos. Lots of batarangs.

Generally this is how my combo flow looks like:

Counter -> Cape stun -> 2-3 hit combo -> counter -> Valut over enemy -> Quick Batarang -> Takedown

That's the basic. It should get you around 8-10 combo and 7 variation bonus on the first wave. I always try to delay executing Takedowns and "Brutal" Takedowns as much as I can. For reference, this is my record on the waves of thugs.

1st wave: 12 combo
2nd wave: 13 combo (14 if I get lucky)
3rd wave: 9 combo (I got lucky on that one, usually I end up in the 6-8 combo range)

Ephemeris

Dave1988 said:
The key is to incorporate dodges and batarangs into your combos. Lots of batarangs.

Generally this is how my combo flow looks like like:

Counter -> Cape stun -> 2-3 hit combo -> counter -> Valut over enemy -> Quick Batarang -> Takedown

That's the basic. It should get you around 8-10 combo and 7 variation bonus on the first wave. I always try to delay executing Takedowns and "Brutal" Takedowns as much as I can. For reference, this is my record on the waves of thugs.

1st wave: 12 combo
2nd wave: 13 combo (14 if I get lucky)
3rd wave: 9 combo (I got lucky on that one, usually I end up in the 6-8 combo range)

Very impressive.

Seems like I come up lacking @ the first wave (8 hit tops I think). Probably because of my urge to break bones.

Edit:
And I never started with counter. Hmm. Always assumed Counters did substantially more damage than a normal attack so I try not to use them.

Robot 492

Banned
Batman Arkham Asylum for $38.83 on release day in Canada
We as Canadians are accustomed to getting the shaft when it comes to deals and pricing in general when compared to our neighbours in the south. Video game retailers have taken advantage of the fluctuations of the economy and the resulting exchange rate by pushing up the price of new video games by $10 to $69.99. But it is welcoming to see that a highly anticipated title, Batman: Arkham Asylum will be selling for only $38.83 on launch date at certain retailers.

The price reduction was initiated by Walmart, who are also offering an exclusing Batman armour. Not to be out done, certain EB Games and GameStop stores have decided to price match Walmart's offer. Remember the offer is only for the day of release that is August 25, 2009.
Great deal for you Canadians :)

topofuji

Banned
It's official - the Collector's Editions have been sold out and the listings taken off of Gamestop/EBgame's sites.

It's like I had a sixth sense this was going to happen, I ordered mine last night thankfully.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
After throwing a few batarangs I've seen them laying on the floor. I wonder if you get a limited amount and can pick up the ones you've used?

Joei

Yowza... I think I'm going to do the TRU deal. It's too good to pass up if what CAG says is true. I'll grab Batman:AA for $60, then apply the $30 GC towards Metroid, which I was going to pick up as well. 4 great games for $85~ after tax, as opposed to the $102 I would be paying, you can't beat that.

Does anyone know if Gamestop gives you any issues on returns for pre-orders? I would assume no, but you never know with them. I pre-ordered Metroid from them for the T-shirt they're giving away, but it's not worth the extra $17. Also, I paid the game in full at the time of the preorder.

And on that note, if this works out, I'm so excited I'll be playing this game Tuesday morning!!!

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm conflicted.

I've got all systems, and a gaming rig with a GTX 275. I'm in Canada, so my choices are the following:

1) PC version (Steam) for $50 USD
2) PS3 version for $38.83
3) 360 version for $38.83

I played all demos. PC version runs flawlessly at 60fps with 4xAA, but without PhysX. 360 and PS3 versions look considerably worse, running at 30fps, and definitely having worse textures (readily apparent looking at the checkered pattern on the Batsuit). The PS3 is the worst looking one, looking almost identical to the 360 version, but with no AA (not super noticeable overall), and a bit of tearing (can't see any tearing in the 360 version).

So far, I'm leaning towards the PS3 version, mainly for the reduced price, but also the Home rewards which seem amazing. I'd go with the PC version, as it feels and looks a lot better, but I'm afraid of the game not being worth keeping, so at least with the console version, I can trade it in quickly enough and hardly lose any money at all.

Oh, another bonus to the PC version is the likely ability to mod Batman's eyes to make them white. :lol

Lothars

TheExodu5 said:
I'm conflicted.

I've got all systems, and a gaming rig with a GTX 275. I'm in Canada, so my choices are the following:

I played all demos. PC version runs flawlessly at 60fps with 4xAA, but without PhysX. 360 and PS3 versions look considerably worse, running at 30fps, and definitely having worse textures (readily apparent looking at the checkered pattern on the Batsuit). The PS3 is the worst looking one, looking almost identical to the 360 version, but with no AA (not super noticeable overall), and a bit of tearing (can't see any tearing in the 360 version).

So far, I'm leaning towards the PS3 version, mainly for the reduced price, but also the Home rewards which seem amazing. I'd go with the PC version, as it feels and looks a lot better, but I'm afraid of the game not being worth keeping, so at least with the console version, I can trade it in quickly enough and hardly lose any money at all.

Oh, another bonus to the PC version is the likely ability to mod Batman's eyes to make them white. :lol

I would say buy the PS3 version than when the PC version goes on a Steam sale pick it up than.

Penguin

Gully State said:
wow...even more parallels with bioshock.

Well to be fair, I believe most of this is taken from the graphic novel, Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison.

I wonder if its actually in the game or just a story trailer.

EzLink

Banned
Penguin said:
Well to be fair, I believe most of this is taken from the graphic novel, Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison.

Yeah, damn, I realllly need to get around to reading that. I've heard mixed things about it, but I was gonna buy it anyway the other day. Unfortunately my local comic store didn't have it

That's the one with the crazy awesome art style right? Is it worth buying or should I try borrowing from a friend?

TheFallen

Penguin said:

Likely via recordings in the bios section like the Joker ones.

LQX

TheExodu5 said:
I'm conflicted.

I'm going through the same exact torment except I can get the PC version the cheapest and the console versions for $5 more.

Spike

TheExodu5 said:
I'm conflicted.

Buy the PS3/360 version, play it, trade it back to EB and get the PC version September 15.

Since the $38.83 price is one day only, you'll most likely get a $40 trade-in value at EB afterwards.

EzLink

Banned
Just discovered that if you hold RT while swinging from gargoyle to gargoyle it shows Batman from a different angle. Very neat

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Superbuff Batman pisses me off like old fart Snake did when MGS4 was revealed.
Don't put that shite in ma games

Sidzed2

Dash Kappei said:
Superbuff Batman pisses me off like old fart Snake did when MGS4 was revealed.
Don't put that shite in ma games

I don't even know what you're talking about.

And in any case, I'm not sure if you've ever seen a Batman comic, but... Yeeeeaaah.

Amir0x

Banned
Batman is supposed to be fucking buff. Not Bane buff obviously, but he has definitely been as buff as he is in the game in the comics.

Batman is a fucking Adonis. Among men, he is a God. He has honed his human abilities to the breaking point, because he's the fucking goddamn Batman. Batman is coming to your house to kill you right now for suggesting he is too buff. I wouldn't want to be you, Batman doesn't play.

Dave1988

Amir0x said:
Batman is supposed to be fucking buff. Not Bane buff obviously, but he has definitely been as buff as he is in the game in the comics.

Batman is a fucking Adonis. Among men, he is a God. He has honed his human abilities to the breaking point, because he's the fucking goddamn Batman. Batman is coming to your house to kill you right now for suggesting he is too buff. I wouldn't want to be you, Batman doesn't play.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Say what ?

christian-bale-batman1.jpg

Pezking

Got the game early :D

1znwowh.jpg

2nu2lo0.jpg

25g5d15.jpg

2rdkrh5.jpg

foqi68.jpg

2crlenb.jpg

2cps5y9.jpg

iwte6q.jpg

Unfortunately, the manual of the regular version is black and white.

The game requires 1.2GB of free hard disk space.

To play as the Joker in Challenge Maps, you have to go online and download the necessary DLC - it's not on the disc!

It's in the middle of the day here in Germany. I'm gonna play it for a couple of hours tonight.

Volcynika

Pezking said:

2nu2lo0.jpg

To play as the Joker in Challenge Maps, you have to go online and download the necessary DLC - it's not on the disc!

It's in the middle of the day here in Germany. I'm gonna play it for a couple of hours tonight.

You suck!
Awesome

That second picture is messing with my mind!

Amir0x

Banned
Dave1988 said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

When I said "kill", I obviously meant smash your face in and rip your spine out so that you are paralyzed for the rest of your life and wish you were dead.

Pezking said:

how big of a download are the joker maps?

Amir0x said:
When I said "kill", I obviously meant smash your face in and rip your spine out so that you are paralyzed for the rest of your life and wish you were dead.
I don't approve of this Miller-esque Batman either.

Amir0x

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I don't approve of this Miller-esque Batman either.

Batman doesn't need your approval. He'll cut your eyes out with his penis and have both eyeballs surgically re-inserted in opposite sockets. Just because he can.

Batman is the true sociopath.

Pezking

The Joker-DLC is not online yet - should have known...

The game is installing right now.

The minimum installation is 1.2 GB, but you have the choice to install over 3GB, which will improve the playability even further.

Ephemeris

Pezking said:

1znwowh.jpg

3725073286_a1c80b31fc_o_d.png

congrats!

Does anyone know what the odds are that Best Buy will price match that TRU deal? Last time I tried going to TRU for one of their gift card deals they only shipped 2 copies of the game...

Sanjuro

I don't understand how Batman is too buff.

Batman is not Spider-Man.He isn't going to deliver a goddam pizza.

He is a fucking billionaire.....he has the world's best fitness regiment and steroids period.

Pezking

O.k. another update before I really start playing later (it's much too bright in the living room right now):

- The installation confuses me: When loading the game, right before it installs, it says that the minimum installation is 1.2GB, and that the game may install up to 3.8GB to further enhance the experience - but you can't choose how much it installs! It automatically installs the 1.2GB, and that's that. I have no idea how you can install the other 2.6GB (and yes, I have enough space on my hard drive).

- You can choose between three difficulty settings.

- There are a number of Behind-the-scenes-Videos on the disc. You can even access them directly from the video option of the XMB.

So the colored manual seems to be CE-only, but the videos are on the regular disc as well.

Top Bottom