• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Zzoram

I finally beat the game on Normal.

I really liked this game, but I never quite mastered the combat, so whenever I had to fight large groups of thugs I would often die. It's also why I suck at the challenges.

Hyunkel6 said:
And here I was, all happy to be ranked in the 500s.

Any tips? I can't even think about how someone got ~30 secs on the 1st one.

I think I got 34 seconds on that. What i did was immediately run out of that roofed area you start in and shoot up to the ledge that was above you, jump over and there should be a guard walking right in front of you, use him to get the silent takedown. Next I immediately threw a sonic batarang (hit him so it explodes) at the guy across the hall standing in front of the explodable wall, as that is in the air, hook up to the roof next to you (the one with the explodable piece). There should be a guard walking out of the roofed area, hit him with a batarang, jump down and takedown. Immediately shoot up to the top of the wall in front of you, its the wall that separates that area from the small room with the explodable wall. Jump down into that small room and place the gel on the wall, all the other guards should be in front of it examining the dude you hit with the sonic batarang, boom. Level over.

WEGGLES

Finished the game yesterday. I'll just spoiler everything just incase.

Overall an excellent game, and a great game to kick off the whole Fall/Winter games blitz. Everything truly felt batman. I love all the little details, like the degradation of the batsuit. That's neato. The stealth stuff with armed goons is totally awesome, and the room with the bomb gargoyles was my favourite part. The scarecrow sequences were a love hate thing. Leading up to them it was awesome, all the mindfuck stuff, and the atmosphere IN them is cool too, but I found the actual gameplay to be tedious and repetitive. The Killer Crock part was a notably weak portion of the game. It dragged on far too long. The recycling of the lame Titan goons was lame too. But all that aside it is still an excellent game and I do not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes batman or action games.

Oh and the last boss was rather disappointing. Titan Joker? Really? And you punch him like 9 times, and spend most of the time fighting a crowd.... lame.

Luckily the core gameplay more than makes up for it, and the Riddler challenges are loads of fun too. Putting together the glowing ?s is awesome!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got 4 minutes on Invisible Predator Extreme...damn, getting 3 guys over the rail with the batclaw was a lucky fluke for me, can't believe someone did that in a single minute.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Incase anyone is looking found some Batman Arkham Asylum concept art drawn by the awesome Carlos D'anda.

17ed6f.jpg

14xz904.jpg

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
MiamiWesker said:
I think I got 34 seconds on that. What i did was immediately run out of that roofed area you start in and shoot up to the ledge that was above you, jump over and there should be a guard walking right in front of you, use him to get the silent takedown. Next I immediately threw a sonic batarang (hit him so it explodes) at the guy across the hall standing in front of the explodable wall, as that is in the air, hook up to the roof next to you (the one with the explodable piece). There should be a guard walking out of the roofed area, hit him with a batarang, jump down and takedown. Immediately shoot up to the top of the wall in front of you, its the wall that separates that area from the small room with the explodable wall. Jump down into that small room and place the gel on the wall, all the other guards should be in front of it examining the dude you hit with the sonic batarang, boom. Level over.
As a mere mortal I fear you.

Ephemeris

MiamiWesker said:

Well done.
batman.gif

On the subject of upgrades, I have like 13x available to purchase. :lol I've never played with any of the upgraded batarangs... I'm probably missing out. :(

Though I had to upgrade to the lvl 1 suit cause those double
Titans
were annoying me. I was going batarang-less against them.
Curse you trophy.

bill0527

I just want to say.... I love this fucking game and I think its the best game I've played in a couple of years. Even if you strip away the batman license this game would be the shit. Game of the Year for me already... even before I've played Uncharted 2 or Halo ODST.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MiamiWesker said:

Wow, You are the Batman. :D

bill0527 said:
I just want to say.... I love this fucking game and I think its the best game I've played in a couple of years. Even if you strip away the batman license this game would be the shit. Game of the Year for me already... even before I've played Uncharted 2 or Halo ODST.

I'd have to agree. I thought Uncharted 2 would be my GOTY but now I am not so sure. Eidos and Rocksteady, mostly Rocksteady, have totally outdone themselves.

mattso

Nozdeuce said:
As a mere mortal I fear you.
Me too.

Right now I'm just going through the challenges and trying to get a 3 bat rank on all of them. Then I will beat the game on hard and once that is done I think I will come back to these challenges and try to get ridiculous scores/times on them.

Red

Finally, 1000/1000. Scored 23,500 in round one, 18,000 in round four. Pretty abysmal scores in rounds two and three, but I don't give a fuck because 56,405 points is enough to call it a day.

Hyunkel6

MiamiWesker said:

You are the goddamn Batman indeed. I never thought of taking out as many thugs as possible using the exploding gel on the wall. For some reason, I was focusing on taking them out one at a time. Thanks a lot for the tips.

Vyer

So someone spoil it for me; does anything cool happen if you get all the Riddler Challenges? (Other than the achievement/trophy).

Xevren

Vyer said:
So someone spoil it for me; does anything cool happen if you get all the Riddler Challenges? (Other than the achievement/trophy).

Batman is able to get a trace on him once you get close to all of them, then once you get the last one you hear the cops beating on his door then dragging him away

Xevren said:
Batman is able to get a trace on him once you get close to all of them, then once you get the last one you hear the cops beating on his door then dragging him away

And the fact that you find out who Spirit of Arkham is, and all the tapes of the inmates. It's worth it ;)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm missing the last few Joker Teeth in Arkham North, and one last Spirit of Arkham decipher messages. Would someone please tell me where I can find them?

Danke. ^.^

Vilix said:
I'm missing the last few Joker Teeth in Arkham North, and one last Spirit of Arkham decipher messages. Would someone please tell me where I can find them?

Danke. ^.^

I can't help you where the last few teeth are located. Just roam around Arkham North and take your time. If it helps, I missed out on 3 sets in Arkham Mansion on top of Warden's office (I think that's what the room is called.
It's the room where Dr. Young dies)

I can, however, help you with last Spirit of Arkham message.

Go to Penitentiary. Head all the way to "The Green Mile" and into the last room (Sorry. Forgot the name of that room but there is only one room that leads after The Green Mile). It's the room where there is a guy locked up and there is "locked up" Jim Gordon. Go up in the stairs closed to Jim Gordon and look in the floor. You will be able to see it clearly and easily.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Looks like I'm missing some Joker's Teeth after having completed the game. Since they disappear after beating Joker there is no point in going for the Crack The E Nigma trophy now. Great, I have to play the whole thing again. :/

Not that I mind, but I hate this shit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:
I can't help you where the last few teeth are located. Just roam around Arkham North and take your time. If it helps, I missed out on 3 sets in Arkham Mansion on top of Warden's office (I think that's what the room is called.
It's the room where Dr. Young dies)

I can, however, help you with last Spirit of Arkham message.

Go to Penitentiary. Head all the way to "The Green Mile" and into the last room (Sorry. Forgot the name of that room but there is only one room that leads after The Green Mile). It's the room where there is a guy locked up and there is "locked up" Jim Gordon. Go up in the stairs closed to Jim Gordon and look in the floor. You will be able to see it clearly and easily.

Thanks for the help, chief. Found it! Now I'm a dark super slooth. Where the hell is my cape and decoder ring?!

Xevren

TTP said:
Looks like I'm missing some Joker's Teeth after having completed the game. Since they disappear after beating Joker there is no point in going for the Crack The E Nigma trophy now. Great, I have to play the whole thing again. :/

They don't disappear, I got the rest of mine after I beat it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
TTP said:

No, they don't disappear. All riddles, teeth, and ciphers are still there for you to find even after beating joker.

TTP said:

Wrong. They don't disappear when you end the game. Press select, highlight "Riddler's Challanges" or whatever it's called and check which area the teeth are in. It'll tell you whether it's Arkham North or Arkham West, etc etc. Roam around and find it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, those darn teeth were in a place I had gone over many time. Guess I had bigger fish to fry at the time to notice or care.

I missed out on the Party Pooper trophy though :(
I beat the henchmens outside but when I went inside, it was such a WARM WELCOME that I decided not to beat the living shit outta them! :lol

By the time I left the room, my brother said "WAIT! THERE'S A TROPHY FOR T.... yeah... you just missed it."

Zzoram

Vilix said:
No, they don't disappear. All riddles, teeth, and ciphers are still there for you to find even after beating joker.

I read that 1 of the things you have to scan for a riddle disappears after beating Joker.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
shagg_187 said:
:lol Yeah, It also looks like an awesome spot for 40 hit combo trophy.

How hard is hard? I'll have to replay it in Hard! :mad:

Hard felt great to me, this is one of the first times in awhile a game didn't pull some frustrating bullcrap part on the hardest difficulty, the game is always fair.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Whaaa? Awww, there's a trophy for beat'n up those guys? Damn.
They were all standing around, cheering me on. I just couldn't waste'm. No worries. I'll take care of my next run through. :D

EekTheKat

Just got my second ever platinum trophy :D Some of the predator challenges took a real long time but once I noticed some AI quirks it got a little bit easier.

On one of my tries on Rumble in the Jungle I ended the fight with a score of 49965 :lol The run that scored me all 3 trophies in Rumble was something like 52k though.

Dartastic

So funny. I figured too late that the Joker Teeth would be used towards something. I wasn't killing them all. Now I'm reading the past couple pages, and... yep, sure enough. I should have been killing them all. Doh! Also, I'm confused about the Riddler's... riddles. How do I solve them? I solved the first one by mistake, and I'm not exactly sure what to do to solve them. I haven't solved one since. Do I activate Detective mode, then hold the button down to scan what I think is the answer? Ehhhhh?

Dartastic said:
So funny. I figured too late that the Joker Teeth would be used towards something. I wasn't killing them all. Now I'm reading the past couple pages, and... yep, sure enough. I should have been killing them all. Doh! Also, I'm confused about the Riddler's... riddles. How do I solve them? I solved the first one by mistake, and I'm not exactly sure what to do to solve them. I haven't solved one since. Do I activate Detective mode, then hold the button down to scan what I think is the answer? Ehhhhh?

You don't need to activate Detective mode. You just need to hold down the button to scan. Best thing to do is to look for Riddler's maps, usually placed in locations you will definitely encounter. Once you get that, you can find out where the riddles are. Don't worry, you finish single player without doing any riddles. Once done, you can complete the riddles and batarang them teeth!

somnific

Crunched said:
Finally, 1000/1000. Scored 23,500 in round one, 18,000 in round four. Pretty abysmal scores in rounds two and three, but I don't give a fuck because 56,405 points is enough to call it a day.

congrats crunched-- pretty satisfying, right?

it totally slipped my mind the first time i posted and since you're done it's not going to help you but a good tip that helped me out during the combat challenges was taking off the camera assist in the game options. this prevented a lot of instances where batman would randomly punch or jump in the wrong direction after the camera had spun around.

Dartastic said:

you don't necessarily have to activate detective mode (there are a few ? riddles that you need detective mode to see and it helps spotting stuff in general) but you do have to hold the detective mode button down (LB for x360).

Sidzed2

Wondering if anyone could assist me and upload a PS3 save game file (PAL / UK version) which is positioned right before the final joker battle?

I basically want to take on the 'party pooper' achievement (wink wink).

Please?

Xater

Sidzed2 said:
Wondering if anyone could assist me and upload a PS3 save game file (PAL / UK version) which is positioned right before the final joker battle?

I basically want to take on the 'party pooper' achievement (wink wink).

Please?

Can't you just load the finished game? I think it sets you right before that. Have not tried to see if the party is there again.

Xater said:
Can't you just load the finished game? I think it sets you right before that. Have not tried to see if the party is there again.

Nope. Door closes down.

In other notes, when I entered Visitor's Room the first time around,
I knew Joker was actually sitting there wearing the TV and that it's no puppet! Damn, he didn't disappoint me lol!!

Truant

I'm almost at the end. This game is incredible. One part, though, was way too long and tedious. I'm sure you all can agree on that, I probably don't even have to mention which.

Truant said:
I'm almost at the end. This game is incredible. One part, though, was way too long and tedious. I'm sure you all can agree on that, I probably don't even have to mention which.

Tedious? Maybe. Long? Not really. It is a fun section, to be honest. It was also a fun section to end with me panic-ing and looking for the detonator :lol

I'm glad that they didn't add any gameplay mechanism that requires alot of learning or they didn't toy with any. Before the boss fight started, I was expecting a God of War-ish fuck up. I was also expecting alot of frustrated driving sequences to randomly show up. I'm glad it didn't.

But then again, I am expecting a much more open-ended sequel from Rocksteady!

Top Bottom