• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
spidye said:
:lol :lol

I think this can actually work. arkham asylum is maybe the better hitman game since hitman 1
I don't agree. Bloodmoney was great and B:AA doesn't really play like hitman does. It's not open worldish.

Hyunkel6

So, how does one get 50,000+ points on the 1st combat challenge? I didn't get hit, had all the combos flowing seamlessly, and got only in the low 30,000s. I'm assuming that each of your hits must be a critical strike, which is totally insane to do. :lol

Ri'Orius

Alright, I beat the main game, and I've been trying some challenges, and have run into a question. One of the Predator challenge medals says that it requires the Explosive Gel
Auto Proximity Detonation
upgrade. Now, I've taken care not to get this upgrade because I'd rather always detonate my gel remotely (so I can wait for more guys to get near it, etc.). So my questions are:

1. If I get the upgrade, is there a way to un-get it? Or disable it in normal use?

2. If I start a new game, get the upgrade, find the riddle to unlock the map (...sigh...), and get the medals there, will that count towards the trophy if all of my other medals are in a different game file?

3. Any other suggestions for how to get the platinum (eventually) without having to buy the upgrade? I could just do it at the very end, but I kinda like the idea of keeping the save file's posterity intact...

EDIT:
Hyunkel6 said:
So, how does one get 50,000+ points on the 1st combat challenge? I didn't get hit, had all the combos flowing seamlessly, and got only in the low 30,000s. I'm assuming that each of your hits must be a critical strike, which is totally insane to do. :lol

What kind of variation bonuses were you getting? They can be pretty huge--nine moves (the max, according to the trophy) gets you 5000 points. So if you can do that each round, that'd be 20,000 points right there.

Hyunkel6

Ri'Orius said:
What kind of variation bonuses were you getting? They can be pretty huge--nine moves (the max, according to the trophy) gets you 5000 points. So if you can do that each round, that'd be 20,000 points right there.

5000 pts each round? Wow. I was getting about 500 pts per round, so I was assuming variation bonuses were not really relevant. Thanks for the clarification.

JRW

My little nephew was watching me play and asked "How come the bad guys always grab there heads" after knocking them out, Now I notice it every single time, Doh..

Guess they could have varied the animations a litte more lol.

EzLink

Banned
Hmm, having some troubles getting all three medals on each of the freeflow challenge maps. Are there any useful tips for doing so? Is it just sort of trying to mix it up by doing a lot of variations?

My combos always get fucked up by either a knife guy (I'll accidentally punch him) or a stun rod guy or some random ass that throws boxes at you or, later on, Titans. I've played the Sewer Bat and Shock and Awe map at least a dozen times now, and I can only get 2 medals at best. Grr

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just to be sure: there's no way you can plant explosive gel on a surface up high right? I've encountered quite a few spots where I could only see a weak wall high up to get to a Riddler trophy, but maybe I just need to pay more attention to see a different point of entry.

mattso

Darunia said:
Just to be sure: there's no way you can plant explosive gel on a surface up high right? I've encountered quite a few spots where I could only see a weak wall high up to get to a Riddler trophy, but maybe I just need to pay more attention to see a different point of entry.
You will be able to get to those later in the game, just remember where they are.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
mattso said:
You will be able to get to those later in the game, just remember where they are.

really? thanks. more incentive to continue with the main quest. lately I've just been running around solving riddles because I don't want to finish story mode just yet. Now I'm at
the botanical gardens
. I hope I get this upgrade soon.

venom2124

dgenx said:
Hey I have a bat question.

Which Batman comics should I read? I already read Arkham Asylum and the killing joke, which ones are a must read?' if there is more of course, also how is that "Joker" comic?

Since you read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, you have to now read Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Rocksteady lifted many villains and details right from this book. If you like the Joker you should pick up The Man Who Laughs. I always felt it was a better Joker tale than The Killing Joke. The "Joker" comic you mention is also very good. A few other Batman titles you might like are No Man's Land, War Games, and War Crimes. Oh, and can't forget Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

WEGGLES

Ok question about the end of the final cutscene.

It shows a box of titan floating around and then a hand grabs it. When I saw it, I was positive I saw killer crocs big green scaly hand. And my friend swears he saw Scarecrows needle covered hand. And this youtube vid shows Bane grabbing it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3WFJ6-fAE

Are there different ending cutscenes, or are we just crazy and seeing things wrong?

mattso

EzLink said:
Hmm, having some troubles getting all three medals on each of the freeflow challenge maps. Are there any useful tips for doing so? Is it just sort of trying to mix it up by doing a lot of variations?

My combos always get fucked up by either a knife guy (I'll accidentally punch him) or a stun rod guy or some random ass that throws boxes at you or, later on, Titans. I've played the Sewer Bat and Shock and Awe map at least a dozen times now, and I can only get 2 medals at best. Grr
I found it best to do the following:

whenever there are knife/stun rod guys get up a 5x combo and then use the instant takedown asap to take one of them out. If there are a lot of guys nearby you'll have to punch your way out but unless one of them has a gun they won't hit you in the animation for the instant takedown.

If there are more of those guys when you're keeping your combo if you can't see where the next dude is you're trying to hit either roll or throw a batarang so you don't accidentally attack the knife/stunrods with a normal blow. Once you find them instant takedown them.

When you can try to throw guys away from the pack and then use the ground takedown on them for quick points. Definitely try to do this at the end of the round especially if you have a big combo going.

I also try to bounce around to the guys who are the farthest away from you since that usually takes care of the guys who will throw concrete blocks or try to get guns.

I haven't gotten any insane scores yet but using these and some patience I have gotten a 3 rank on every freeflow map I've tried so far.

This is one game I actually enjoy retrying the challenge maps over and over for higher scores.

Xater

WEGGLES said:

It shows a box of titan floating around and then a hand grabs it. When I saw it, I was positive I saw killer crocs big green scaly hand. And my friend swears he saw Scarecrows needle covered hand. And this youtube vid shows Bane grabbing it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3WFJ6-fAE

Are there different ending cutscenes, or are we just crazy and seeing things wrong?

Yes, there are apparently 3 versions.

tim1138

WEGGLES said:

Yes,
there are 3 different ending scenes

mattso

Darunia said:
really? thanks. more incentive to continue with the main quest. lately I've just been running around solving riddles because I don't want to finish story mode just yet. Now I'm at
the botanical gardens
. I hope I get this upgrade soon.
It's an upgrade to your
batclaw, not the gel. It would be cool if there was an upgrade for the gel so you can spray it from a distance but oh well

123rl

evilromero said:
Holy fucking shit I had no idea this game was awesome. Why were you hiding this from me? Please tell me the full game is as good as the demo. Please.

The demo doesn't come close to showing the brilliance of the full game. I've nearly finished it and I can honestly say it's the best game of 2009.

Batman games are generally crap so this feels like a new IP...in that regard I'll call this the best new IP I've played since Left 4 Dead

WTF. I'm in the Library of the Mansion and there's supposed to be a trophy behind a vent. It's not fucking there. I'm missing one trophy in this building and the map is telling me it's there. Nothing.

edit: Nevermind. it's behind another vent further up. ARG

Red

EzLink said:

My tips!

If you lose your combo in the first round, quit and start over. It's usually the easiest and the one that's best to get a high variation bonus on. Always go for critical strikes! They'll instantly knock people down, allowing you to circle a room kicking fools in the head and then sweeping them up with some ground takedowns, which are, by far, where you'll score the most massive points (multiplies your counter by 100, so a 40 combo leading into a ground takedown will net you 4,000 points). Don't go in for ground takedowns unless
A.) you're away from the main group, hitting an isolated guy (this usually happens when you go after a dude who's getting a gun or ripping a fuse box off a wall)
or
B.) there are five or less guys left, as you'll have plenty of time this way to knock them all down and then hit one or two with a ground takedown. Just watch for the counter icon, as one guy may get up and rush to you in time

When you get a 5x combo immediately start dropping throws like they're going out of style. Save instant takedowns for knife thugs and stun baton thugs, as they'll rip right through their defenses and remove that obstacle from play. It's usually best to dodge roll out as soon as you finish your special move animation, as there could be some creep behind you, just offscreen, waiting to attack. Note that this strategy doesn't fly in either shock and awe map, as a simple throw won't knock a thug out (and that's sort of the point; the longer they're alive, the higher your combo can get and the more chances you have of doing a ground takedown). The time limit in shock and awe makes it imperative that you knock those guys out as fast as possible, so there I'd recommend you use instant takedowns exclusively.

If you see someone taking something off a wall or going for a gun, get over there as fast as you can. I found it best to get over there by chaining attacks from all the guys in the way, like playing connect the dots. When I tried doing a dodge roll over their heads, Batman always ended up changing direction mid-roll. Basically it caused way more trouble than it was worth.

Easy tip for increasing your variation bonus: open every round by using the batclaw (preferably ultra batclaw). It'll pull some guys toward you and immediately open them up for attack- especially useful if you've caught someone with knives. Don't open with a batclaw if there's a stun baton in the first row of attackers, as pulling one into you will cause Batman to take damage and distort the screen. It'll end your combo immediately and leave you open to attack.

Basically the trick is to string together combos as long as possible. Even without using takedown moves, consider the 10x multiplier you get from a single hit. At a 40 hit combo, you're getting 400 points for each hit landed. Your score will absolutely skyrocket even if you don't pull anything fancy. Criticals are worth 25x I believe (and you should always be aiming for those, always), as are kills for throwing people off of ledges, collateral damage, Titan riding, counters, and batclaw/batarang bonuses.

Your tastes may be different, but I'd recommend you avoid using the batarang. It can help clear an area, but nearly every time I used it I was left with a situation where I'd lose my combo. Batman would throw it in the wrong direction, or it would knock down the closest bad guys and Batman wouldn't leap to attack the ones farther away. Was more trouble than it was worth.

When playing rumble in the jungle extreme, try and get your multiplier as high as possible before jumping onto a downed Titan, as each slap he lands will multiply your counter by 25. Also it's probably best to hover around the right hand side gun box, as a lot of guys seem to go over there and shoot you while you're riding.

You'll be frustrated, especially when Batman does something you don't want him to do. 95% of the time everything will run smoothly, but you'll notice some quirks. Getting caught on walls, not properly prioritizing threats, missing counters... the guy is really showing his age.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
tim1138 said:
Yes,
there are 3 different ending scenes

I didn't know this. I got the
Bane ending
, wish I could've seen
Scarecrow
do it. Maybe it depends of the difficulty you play.

mattso

Snuggler said:
Bane ending
, wish I could've seen
Scarecrow
I got
scarecrow on normal difficulty. Seeing his needle-y hand come out of the water was pretty cool.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just wanted to let you know that all of your praise has led me to buy this game.

Don't let me down, GAF. You haven't in the past, but don't start now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
mattso said:
I got
scarecrow on normal difficulty. Seeing his needle-y hand come out of the water was pretty cool.

If you got him, then it must be random or dependant on how much shit you find/solve. Word.

mattso

Snuggler said:
If you got him, then it must be random or dependant on how much shit you find/solve. Word.
I only had 25 or so riddler challenges to get
after the end of the game with the plants out of the way

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Maybe Eidos should give Rocksteady every game property they own

Forever

good lord @ this team

So true. Unfortunately, great development teams come and go. I just hope they're still around for a sequel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy Shit,
Bat Plane!
Yay, finally got the
Line Launcher,
which means I can head back to the areas before and get the collectables I'm missing. >_<

Doing
mano-a-mano
(I'm not sure if I should spoiler this one, I mean it's in the achievement description) against the
Titans the Joker unleashes against you
was hair-raising. It took me like... five tries to get the thing down, and after I got one of them down, I had about 0 HP (like, nothing on the meter) left and the last one alive had a bar or so left. Really REALLY hair-raising to pass it. But I did it, and it's totally sigh-of-relief moment. At least now I can
use the batarangs against them for Freakshow Rodeo whenever that opportunity pops up

Still a cool game, but it still seems kinda short. :/ (Though I think I'm only 75% or so near the end)

mattso

TheSeks said:
Holy Shit,
Bat Plane!
Yay, finally got the
Line Launcher,
which means I can head back to the areas before and get the collectables I'm missing. >_<

Doing
mano-a-mano
(I'm not sure if I should spoiler this one, I mean it's in the achievement description) against the
Titans the Joker unleashes against you
was hair-raising. It took me like... five tries to get the thing down, and after I got one of them down, I had about 0 HP (like, nothing on the meter) left and the last one alive had a bar or so left. Really REALLY hair-raising to pass it. But I did it, and it's totally sigh-of-relief moment. At least now I can
use the batarangs against them for Freakshow Rodeo whenever that opportunity pops up

Still a cool game, but it still seems kinda short. :/ (Though I think I'm only 75% or so near the end)
did you not batarang either of them? When I did it I just didn't use the batarang on one.

123rl

Vilix said:
So true. Unfortunately, great development teams come and go. I just hope they're still around for a sequel.

I can't see Rocksteady going anywhere. Eidos will want to keep them and promote their next few games as "From the developers of Batman: Arkham Asylum..."

Batman has sold well so far (we almost sold out at work this weekend), it's had some excellent critical praise, and the game is of a very high quality. A sequel is inevitable

Dartastic

I am so stuck on the Riddler Challenge that says "This challenge can only be seen by those with a different view on life." I thought I found it, then it says it was partially found, and now I've shimmied all over this damn place trying to find it. Goddamn. :lol

Dartastic said:
I am so stuck on the Riddler Challenge that says "This challenge can only be seen by those with a different view on life." I thought I found it, then it says it was partially found, and now I've shimmied all over this damn place trying to find it. Goddamn. :lol

You need to get to the highest ledge in the middle.

Dartastic

The funny thing is I AM on the highest ledge in the middle... or at least I think I am. I'll keep trying. Goddamn Batman is so goddamn good.

Edit - Holy shit, is that ledge all the way on the very top of the screen even REACHABLE? I was standing on the one with the lights and the crumbly bit that you crouch under that's parallel to the dude that falls through the grate and the Riddler challenge piece that's hidden behind that seemingly impossible to blow up wall. Shit. Do I have to go all the way up there?

Edit 2- I just finally got it. That shit was STUPID.

Started dabbling in Challenge Mode and just started a new game. Playing through on Normal again to solve all the Riddler Challenges, and then I'll do a separate playthrough on Hard after. Quick question, how do you catch a Batarang?

fistfulofmetal said:
can i get back into the caves from Intensive Treatment after beating the game? I can't find the other ways in
I don't... think so. You could always go through the bat cave and and work your way from there.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
What the fuck? I played the demo and thought it was terrible. Might pick this up once it hits the bargain bins since its praise can't be ignored.

K' Dash

fistfulofmetal said:
can i get back into the caves from Intensive Treatment after beating the game? I can't find the other ways in

If you're talking about those you go trough to reach the batcave for the first time, yes you can.

witness

Finished all the riddler challenges today and got the worlds greatest trophy as well, those last 3 teeth were a bitch to find :lol

Such an amazing game, gonna play through it again on hard now.

feel

AlternativeUlster said:
What the fuck? I played the demo and thought it was terrible. Might pick this up once it hits the bargain bins since its praise can't be ignored.
The demo is a piece of crap compared to the full game, and in no way demonstrates the genius and greatness of it all. I was only slightly interested in this game after playing the demo, probably was gonna get it on the very cheap, but the gaf praise made me get it and it blew mind. GOTY so far no doubt.

K' Dash said:
If you're talking about those you go trough to reach the batcave for the first time, yes you can.

either way, i got in through the Batcaves and now I need to figure out where in Arkham West the entrance is. I'm in front of an electrified door to Pressure Control Junction and there aren't any hackable panels. I have four things i have to find behind these doors.

edit: Once again I'm dumb. Found the panel and I'm through

AlternativeUlster said:
That's like playing through the space frigate of Metroid Prime and stopping once you get to the planet. The actual game has MUCH more to offer.

Got the last of the riddles and Spirit of Arkham tablets last night. On to the Challenges!

eshwaaz

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yikes. Has anyone gotten all 20 in a playthrough? It must be possible since it's an achievement...

I hope.

Hm - I got all upgrades in my playthrough and didn't get the achievement. I wonder what went wrong.

painey

eshwaaz said:
Hm - I got all upgrades in my playthrough and didn't get the achievement. I wonder what went wrong.

there is no achievement for getting all upgrades in a single playthrough, BenjaminBirdie is a glue huffer and often on the completely wrong tangent, no worries.

Snuggler said:
Bane ending
, wish I could've seen
Scarecrow

I played on Hard and I definitely saw
Killer Croc

Him on Venom is a bit distressing.

Red

painey said:
there is no achievement for getting all upgrades in a single playthrough, BenjaminBirdie is a glue huffer and often on the completely wrong tangent, no worries.
Do upgrades count toward %? Then they'd factor into the Perfect Knight achievement.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
painey said:

:lol

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Perfect Knight, you need all 20 upgrades for that, as well as 3 batarangs in every challenge map on top of every riddle solved.

Top Bottom